• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls screens

259zyf9.jpg

ddyfz5.jpg

262rtoi.jpg

51zo2a.jpg

242dj7l.jpg

23r7dcm.jpg

http://www.jp.playstation.com/scej/title/demons-souls/

Trevelyan

Banned
Oh god so awesome. I hope this game expands on the gameplay a bit by adding a "grab" button. Would be awesome to play an oblivion-like action rpg with better art and the ability to scale castle walls and/or giant creatures ala SoTC.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
looks awesome, particularly in contrast to all the wii shots i've been looking at lately

from <3

king's field <3

DMPrince said:
someone translate the prologue? =)

EDIT: Oh god, please don't let the player's animation be stiff. fluid please. FLUID!

the interview said that the animation and physics were important, because they want a level of realism in the game, (like huge long swords, when you swing them round, they will scrape against walls and things like that)

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
BlazingDarkness said:
it's the spiritual successor to Kings Field (as said by the developers)

why do you think i'm so excited?!

There's only two franchises right now I'm DYING to see revivals of:

Breath of Fire
and
King's Field

I've made a couple threads about each.
And now we (kind of) have one!!!!

KING's FIELD WOOHOOOOO

batbeg

hteng said:
this for the wii or for the ps3 ?

Gameboy Color.

Oh God I want that prologue translated, this looks like some seriously hot shit. Next week = <3 <3

Edit:

having long weapons bump into walls, lighting the area in realtime with the torch in your hand -- would make the game that much more fun.

Oh my God. Awesome!

here's the 1 up info from earlier today incase anyone missed it

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3170272
SCE Japan producer Takeshi Kajii described the game to Famitsu as a spiritual successor to King's Field, the From-developed first-person RPG that first hit it big on the original PlayStation. "I am a fan of From Software, but naturally that also means there are parts of their games I'm not satisfied with, too," he said. "If this was a new King's Field game, there would be areas we wouldn't be able to touch since they're part of the series; working together like this, we can try to make something really new."

Demon's Souls takes place in the kingdom of Boletaria, currently enshrouded in a deep fog thanks to its king inadvertently unleashing an ancient monster from his slumber. You, a nameless hero who you're free to customize Elder Scrolls-style, must penetrate into Boletaria and save the kingdom -- but like many US RPGs these days, the game is slated to be extremely open-ended. "You get only the barest minimum of a goal, and there's nothing forcing you to do anything in the game," Kajii said. "People say to you 'Save the world,' but you can ignore them and keep going if you like."

The way Kajii and From Software director Hidetaka Miyazaki described it, Demon's Souls is a bit of a hybrid -- an RPG that uses the PS3's hardware to the hilt while still retaining the challenge and exploration of traditional role-players. Your hero can use a wide variety of weapons, each of which has different attacks and animations depending on how skillful you are or whether you're using one hand or two, and the game's physics system places natural limits on what's possible in any given tactical situation. "We gave a lot of thought to how to make the fun and charms of a classic RPG interesting all over again with the latest technology at hand," Miyazaki noted. "We figured that doing the things that previous hardware ignored -- having long weapons bump into walls, lighting the area in realtime with the torch in your hand -- would make the game that much more fun. We're taking the things you did through menus in Wizardry and letting you carry them out in real life." (Miyazaki also hinted that while Demon's Souls won't have multiplayer, he would still like to "find a way to use the Internet to make the single-player mode more interesting.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Yuuuuummmmm....

Unless I'm mistaken, it seems that your weapons and shields change so when you get new gear you can actually see the upgrade ala Dragon Quest VIII.

BlazingDarkness said:
the interview said that the animation and physics were important, because they want a level of realism in the game, (like huge long swords, when you swing them round, they will scrape against walls and things like that)

good to know. it seems like Sony may be helping the devs out like they should have from the beginning of the ps3 launch. Next week will be a lot of fun =)

DMPrince said:
good to know. it seems like Sony may be helping the devs out like they should have from the beginning of the ps3 launch. Next week will be a lot of fun =)

They went to From Software to make this game for them, so they're definitely going to help them out with it.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
So it's a Japanese-developed western-style RPG billed as a spiritual successor to King's Field taking obvious influence from Shadow of the Colossus?

I am interested in this.

Cipherr

Look at that freaking shield!

I wonder where the hell they get the ideas for that kind of art, all kinds of awesome.

What the... where did this came from and why am I only hearing about it now?

Is this one of those 11 exclusive games to be revealed at TGS?

harSon

Banned
Looks a lot better then the scans from earlier in the week were letting on. From Software is an underrated and talented group but I can't just help but question the game considering it is made by the very same developers that created Enchanted Arms. Hopefully the tight development with Sony will do the game some good. Regardless, I'm still quite interested.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
YES!! THIS is the type of stuff I want to play. THANK YOU SONY. No more shitty FPS games.

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
looking good!! i loved the King's Field games in the PS1 days
it is good to see it is being done by the King's Field developers

Top Bottom