• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DeNA: Nintendo game unveiling soon, implies partnerships extends well past 5 games

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Since the last implication was from an analyst, I thought I'd include the one from DeNA themselves.

VentureBeat said:
“Soon, we should be able to announce the game,” said Asako.

“I can’t say too much about the Nintendo deal,” said Asako. “But it’s a really exciting initiative.”

What Asako could say is what we’ve already heard before. He reiterated that Nintendo and DeNA will release five games between now and March 2017. But he also implied that the partnership between the two companies will continue well beyond that.

“It’s a really long-term initiative,” he said.
Source: http://venturebeat.com/2015/10/13/dena-west-boss-nintendo-announcing-mobile-game-soon/

The analyst also followed up with this:

nintendototob7kma.png

https://twitter.com/serkantoto/status/654159989431361536

I'm thinking probably either by the end of this week, or the end of next week at latest.

and here i remember when serkantoto said 'soon' 2 weeks ago (iinm), i assume it would be the following week after he said that....

Kouriozan

Would be weird to buy 10% of DeNA if it wasn't for long term plans.
Now, I really hope we'll start to get some news this week, plus it has been like 4 months since the last Nintendo Direct already.

Well Nintendo, where's the direct for all of this stuff now?

-Major Splatoon Update
-Smash Bros Fighter DLC
-Twilight Princess HD
-DeNA Mobile Game
-amiibo stuff (Like announcing Roy, Lucas and Ryu's release)
-Mario Tennis Ultra Smash
-Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival
-Metroid Prime: Federation Force
-Flipnote Studio 3D available to everyone on the eShop
-Nintendo Membership services like Club Nintendo

Where's all of this, where?

ChaosXVI

*sigh* I really, really miss Nintendo Direct. It really won't feel the same without Iwata there, but the waiting period between the Direct being announced and aired is the closest feeling I've had to when I was a kid and Christmas was right around the corner.

Hopefully this news will be the big highlight in the next Direct, especially since so little of Mario Tennis has been shown and the thing comes out next month.

Sakujou

Banned
the end is nigh. nintendo going mobile is the worst nightmare. games filled with DLC,FREEMIUM and whatever is probably going to end gaming for me.
i already disliked all the crappy f2p games on the 3ds, if nintendo really is earning tons of money with this, i think then nintendo will sooner or later bet on that horse.

Anth0ny

-Major Splatoon Update
-Smash Bros Fighter DLC
-Twilight Princess HD
-DeNA Mobile Game

seriously. there's a lot of stuff they need to cover.

direct soon pls

ramparter

Banned

-Major Splatoon Update
-Smash Bros Fighter DLC
-Twilight Princess HD
-DeNA Mobile Game

New MK8 dlc please? I know nothing points to that direction but still hoping...

the end is nigh. nintendo going mobile is the worst nightmare. games filled with DLC,FREEMIUM and whatever is probably going to end gaming for me.
i already disliked all the crappy f2p games on the 3ds, if nintendo really is earning tons of money with this, i think then nintendo will sooner or later bet on that horse.
Well, why would they choose NOT to make money? Cell phone games are printing money right now and is far more profitable than developing your own hardware, or developing traditional software. Nintendo has always been about getting dat paper, a company does not last for over 100 years without going where the money is.

A new generation of gamers is growing on cell phones and tablets. Traditional handhelds are sadly a limited market and I'm afraid, might go extinct within 10-15 years.

Don't forget that modern Nintendo grew out of the arcade culture, where it was all about short, fast games that were all about encouraging players to dump in more money to get that high score. They have that kind of game play down to a science and it's a perfect match for phone/tablet gaming.

-Major Splatoon Update
-Smash Bros Fighter DLC
-Twilight Princess HD
-DeNA Mobile Game

Not to derail, but what's the major Splatoon update?

Peltz

-Major Splatoon Update
-Smash Bros Fighter DLC
-Twilight Princess HD
-DeNA Mobile Game

I'm sure we will get this soon. The delay is probably just due to them putting together the best way to tastefully break the silence since Iwata's passing. It will be the first Direct since his death.

Servbot24

Banned

-Major Splatoon Update
-Smash Bros Fighter DLC
-Twilight Princess HD
-DeNA Mobile Game

Does this really warrant a direct? TP HD would be the only notable announcement there, and even that is just a remake. The DeNA thing is notable too, but only as a curiosity. Splatoon and Smash DLC are nice bullet points, but they don't really warrant a special presentation.

We need some actual games to be announced. Not a new amiibo or a reminder that Happy Home Designer exists.

Javier

-Major Splatoon Update
-Smash Bros Fighter DLC
-Twilight Princess HD
-DeNA Mobile Game

We also need to know if Rhythm Heaven: The Best and Style Savvy 3 are coming to America (and Europe too, in the case of RH).

Revven

Does this really warrant a direct? TP HD would be the only notable announcement there, and even that is just a remake. The DeNA thing is notable too, but only as a curiosity. Splatoon and Smash DLC are nice bullet points, but they don't really warrant a special presentation.

We need some actual games to be announced. Not a new amiibo or a reminder that Happy Home Designer exists.

We've had entire Directs dedicated to single games a month before they came out, for games such as Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, even Smash Bros. All of those things listed above are worthy of a Direct when considering what Directs we've had in the past.

We've had Directs that didn't have anything noteworthy to us but Nintendo found it worthwhile to announce them in the Direct anyway. This includes things like apps or mobile software (such as browsing Miiverse via your phone and the computer) or other "really small" things.

It was always implied to be long term because DeNA have the job of maintaining the games content post launch. Unless everything flops it's natural to expect further games too.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I'd be very surprised if they ever cover the mobile stuff in a Direct.

I wouldn't. Nintendo's previous statements suggested that mobile would be included with (and not separate from) Nintendo's other initiatives, bound together by whatever backend online work DeNA has been helping with. With that in mind, I wouldn't be surprised if mobile play interacts in some way with their other games/consoles (play Mario Mobile, get 10% off Super Mario Maker?) and thus makes their inclusion in a Direct possible. That said, it could come across poorly to their dedicated console audience, so they'd have to present it carefully.

The point of the mobile initiative is to have a wider reach than their Nintendo Directs, so inclusion in a Direct should only be a small part of their promotion of the game.

TheJoRu

I'm expecting it right before the investor's meeting on the 28th. I also expect the announcement to be through a press conference, not a Nintendo Direct. They need all eyes on them, not just from enthusiast gaming press, and it deserves its own showing. It shouldn't be announced in between a bunch of other stuff.

Malus

"We will soon see what soon means." LOL

This is taking announcement of announcement to a whole new level.

Anth0ny

there's been directs with zero new game announcements before

a direct with smash newcomers and TPHD would be godly

Dicer

Banned
This direct or whatever they may call it now, will be the first since the passing of Iwata, so I am sure they are trying to do it in a way that honors Iwata and moves on with what's next.

"Soon" is subjective, I'm sure we will hear before or around the investors meeting...

qko

-Major Splatoon Update
-Smash Bros Fighter DLC
-Twilight Princess HD
-DeNA Mobile Game

And when a Direct happens and they announce and detail all of this people will be up in arms pissed saying "We knew all of that! 0/10! Worst Direct Ever!"

Top Bottom