• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dengeki hints at possible Demon's Souls 2 announcement?

Segata Sanshiro said:
Given this is From Software, you probably don't have to worry much about radical overhauls.

That really doesn't give From much credit. Even their low budget titles have a consistent quality and they always build upon a game with its sequel. :p

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Kyoufu said:
The online features are a sham. Who actually enjoys it?

You have to be in soul form (ie. dead) to be able to join someone and if you wanted to play with your friends, you'd have to make sure you are in human form (ie. alive) while they are in soul form. Uuuuuuuuuuggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Then there is the danger of being invaded by a Black Phantom as you're trying to summon your friends at the entrance. Better not die to him or you won't be able to play with your friends until you kill a boss. WHAT THE FUCK?!

Fuck online mode on Demon's Souls. It is definitely unique but..Fun? Convenient? Accessible? ehh.....

Agreed. Of course the hardcore that don't want a "carebear" option in the sequel are exactly the type of people that'd keep me from buying it to play. (Well that and the insane grind achievements, screw having to replay the game three+ times to get a Pure Bladestone)

Frankly, not having the ability to recommend friends to pick up the game so we can help each other and not worry about asshole invaders is why I stayed in soul form 99% of the time.

Yeah, the bloodstains and stuff are nice, and the reason I connected to the server, but the multiplayer was pure barf.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Given this is From Software, you probably don't have to worry much about radical overhauls.
King's Field II was definitely an upgrade from King's Field I, as well as the Tenchu series getting better with each installment (but only until Wrath of Heaven, every game afterwards was mehtastic).

Demon's Souls II should improve upon what already exists.

Nerdgasm if true. Inconsolable sad panda if not.

GOTY 2009 = DS
GOTY 2010 = DS2

at least as long as they don't pull a Valkyria Chronicles 2 or even Dead Space 2 on us...

I really don't think many people want a major overhaul for Demons Souls 2.

Some upgrades and a continuation of the amazing environments and gameplay from first will be fine with me.

A part of me would hope they would allow you to carry over you original character but I could see that taking away from the difficulty of starting out with nothing.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Sidewinder said:
v Valkyria Chronicles 2 or even Dead Space 2 on us...
What did I miss?

.la1n

Sidewinder said:
http://pc.ign.com/articles/106/1067176p1.html of course I don't want to judge a game before it's even finished, but that's not what I want for a Dead Space sequel.

wow I had not seen that, thanks. A sequel to Demon's souls would be awesome, I still give the first one plenty of replays. Not concerned with platform choice but I do believe the system they have setup would be very difficult to replicate on the psp.

Billen

Banned
I'd just like some more Demon's Souls to play with my friends. Prefferably with the chance to get some loot on the second playthrough that one couldn't get on the first.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The people who don't like the online features make me so sad :[ I think it's the most brilliant implementation of (almost massive) multiplayer I've ever seen.

MoxManiac

ZephyrFate said:
King's Field II was definitely an upgrade from King's Field I, as well as the Tenchu series getting better with each installment (but only until Wrath of Heaven, every game afterwards was mehtastic).

Actually, I like KF1 better then 2. I felt the open areas in 2 kinda ruined the feel of the game to me, also I don't think the PS1 hardware was up to rendering those areas. Part of what I liked about KF1 was the claustrophobic dungeons/caves. I felt that was lost somewhat in 2.

ZephyrFate said:

KFII was an upgrade, but I wouldn't call it a "radical overhaul".

Also, Acquire was responsible for Tenchu 1 (published by Sony and Activision) and Tenchu 2 (published by Activision). K2 developed Wrath of Heaven (published by From in Japan, Activision in the US) and Fatal Shadows (published by From in Japan, SEGA in NA). Acquire returned to develop Shadow Assassins (published by From in Japan, Ubisoft in NA).

From Software owns Tenchu these days, but they haven't actually developed any Tenchu games aside from the XBLA Shadow Assault, so I really don't think they deserve any credit for Tenchu, particularly pre-Wrath of Heaven when they had nothing to do with the series at all.

I'm a big fan of Demon's Souls, but I have little to no patience for mobile gaming.

I'm sure any sequel would be for PS3, though. MS would probably want to put the online behind the Great Wall of Gold and kit out our avatars in Yurt armor or some shit.

I'm not trying to troll, but I think that given the pretty intelligent way that the multiplayer system is designed, Demon's Souls 2 would benefit greatly from being an easier/more accessible game.

Alex

Accessibility is fine, I'm always for improving menus and options and the game flow but I'm not for making easier. Console games have severe problems with high difficutly levels that don't involve arbitrary punishment or simply unfair nonsense, especially RPGs. Can't we have one genuinely challenging console RPG? :(

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
badcrumble said:
I'm not trying to troll, but I think that given the pretty intelligent way that the multiplayer system is designed, Demon's Souls 2 would benefit greatly from being an easier/more accessible game.
It would benefit more, if they made it harder than the first..

Eccocid

MAKE IT MORE DIFFICULT!
i loved the challenge of DS a lot!
Heck i dont even need any upgrades u can just keep every gameplay element same and release new dungeons!

bdouble

Hawkian said:
The people who don't like the online features make me so sad :[ I think it's the most brilliant implementation of (almost massive) multiplayer I've ever seen.
Yeah idk its one reason why I stopped playing. DS wouldn't stay connected if I died. Had to restart the PS3 every time. I just bought a new router though (PS3 is hooked up via LAN) so that might help it.

Eccocid

Voice chat would kill all the mood in the game!
I love how i know the level layout and cant just tell it to ppl when i help them/ i love the lack of communication!
I think voice chat would spoil all the mood and challenge!

Eccocid said:
Voice chat would kill all the mood in the game!
I love how i know the level layout and cant just tell it to ppl when i help them/ i love the lack of communication!
I think voice chat would spoil all the mood and challenge!

Voice chat should still be optional. If you don't want voice chat, then just don't use it.

Sfida

badcrumble said:

Bullshit. There are plenty of "accessible" and "easy" games. Play those. The challenge is part of the appeal of Demon's Souls, I feel that watering it down would hurt the sequel more than it would help it.

badcrumble said:
No, just no.

What gets me is that Demon's Souls didn't even get a release in Europe. Heck, they didn't want to release it outside of Japan. Or did they? I always assumed that they released it in NA due to fan pressure.

soldat7

badcrumble said:

bad
crumble
idea

BattleMonkey said:
Voice chat should still be optional. If you don't want voice chat, then just don't use it.

PSN party chat? Great. In-game voice chat? Rubbish.

Kodiak said:
hoping for a spirtual gameplay successor with a much better world/setting

?

I'm sure there are plenty of awesome locations left in Boletaria to explore. Demon's Souls had incredible environments.

Segata Sanshiro said:
From Software owns Tenchu these days, but they haven't actually developed any Tenchu games aside from the XBLA Shadow Assault, so I really don't think they deserve any credit for Tenchu, particularly pre-Wrath of Heaven when they had nothing to do with the series at all.
Didn't From develop the 360 and DS Tenchus too?

soldat7 said:
PSN party chat? Great. In-game voice chat? Rubbish.
You know, I always did think that denying people of an option they want because you think it's detrimental to the game, especially if it's opt-in, is a great idea!

Euphor!a

Banned
I AM JOHN! said:
Didn't From develop the 360 and DS Tenchus too?

You know, I always did think that denying people of an option they want because you think it's detrimental to the game, especially if it's opt-in, is a great idea!

People want a lot of things, even if they are optional doesn't mean it is a good idea.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
This thread is proof that developers should almost never read forums for ideas. Demon's Souls was one of the most original, successful and critically-acclaimed games of the year, and already there are people trying to turn it into games they're more familiar with.

"Get rid of the online portion" "Make it easier" "The world sucked, give us a different one"

Sad, really.

Euphor!a said:
People want a lot of things, even if they are optional doesn't mean it is a good idea.
I've yet to see an explanation for how voice chat would detriment the game aside from "hearing some person in my game will affect my perception of the atmosphere." There's an easy fix for that: put in an option that says "Turn Voice Chat Off" and leave it to the player to decide if they to be able to communicate with spirits who enter their games or not. As much as I don't care about it, the reasons to put it in, especially as an opt-in option, far outweigh the reasons to keep it out.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Tenchu Z was K2. Tenchu DS was Polygon Magic.
Ah. My bad!

Euphor!a

Banned
I AM JOHN! said:
I've yet to see an explanation for how voice chat would detriment the game aside from "hearing some person in my game will affect my perception of the atmosphere." There's an easy fix for that: put in an option that "Turn Voice Chat Off" and leave it to the player to decide if they want it or not. As much as I don't care about it, the reasons to put it in, especially as an opt-in option, far outweigh the reasons to keep it out.

You could say the same thing about difficulty settings and checkpoints. There is a reason there is no voice chat just like there is a reason the game has no difficulty settings or checkpoints or a dozen other things other games have and Demon's Souls doesn't.

soldat7

WanderingWind said:
This thread is proof that developers should almost never read forums for ideas. Demon's Souls was one of the most original, successful and critically-acclaimed games of the year, and already there are people trying to turn it into games they're more familiar with.

"Get rid of the online portion" "Make it easier" "The world sucked, give us a different one"

Sad, really.

Demon's Souls is a better game for not being like other games, but this is not something that everyone understands.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
soldat7 said:
Demon's Souls is a better game for not being like other games, but this is not something that everyone understands.

It's very true, though. I don't think a decrease in difficulty is in order at all, nor is making the online feature less esoteric (what other games have coop and PVP online without a single menu using the term "online" or "multiplayer" or "network"?).

I am for the addition of more features though- say, a green stone that lets you enter the world of someone else on your friends' list who is also in soul form. There could even be new, unique caveats- maybe beating a boss this way doesn't grant either of you your body back?

simtmb

After finishing the game several times then going for trophies and phantom hunting, i used voice chat with a friend through Ventrilo and played it out like a complete co-op experience. Wasn't detrimental in my perception of the game's atmosphere whatsoever. I found it as a bonus, helping each other, getting closer and closer to that platinum, helped me endure the grinding needed for it.

But i believe it shouldn't be put in the game, no point. If you want to communicate with others that badly, there are different means if possible.

The sequel tbh needs absolutely nothing, but hey, i just can't think of any way to improve it without bringing up accessibility and so forth. Just make it harder, as realistically, sure the game is quite brutal compared to today's standards, but it certainly wasn't terribly hard. Just needed patience and perseverance like how i was back in the retro days of old.

Piscopink

Eccocid said:
MAKE IT MORE DIFFICULT!
i loved the challenge of DS a lot!
Heck i dont even need any upgrades u can just keep every gameplay element same and release new dungeons!

This.

Ways it could be more difficult:

• More of a "hell" version transformation of the levels ala Silent Hill as the world tendency tips toward black.
  • Damaged limbs when you are closer to dying.

If they gave me 5 more worlds with new bosses and enemies without changing a single damn thing as a sequel, I'd still buy it in a heartbeat.

If this ends up being true...

All I know is, this time I'm gonna pre-order. I was LTTP with the first game, and I really could have used that strategy guide. I know there are guides/walk-through's all over the 'net, but having it in book form would have been nice.

Announce it and I will come. (literally and figuratively.)

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
TheSeks said:
Agreed. Of course the hardcore that don't want a "carebear" option in the sequel are exactly the type of people that'd keep me from buying it to play. (Well that and the insane grind achievements, screw having to replay the game three+ times to get a Pure Bladestone)

Frankly, not having the ability to recommend friends to pick up the game so we can help each other and not worry about asshole invaders is why I stayed in soul form 99% of the time.

Yeah, the bloodstains and stuff are nice, and the reason I connected to the server, but the multiplayer was pure barf.

All a question of point of view... to me this was the bet multuiplayer experiece I ever had! Allowing player invasions was pure gold! Most fun I had in a video game par none!

Aaron

In the sequel, instead of just collecting souls from the enemies to level up, which is just too damn easy, you should have to cut off a part from them when they're dead, and eat it (cooking and spices optional). Of course, you can only eat while alive, so you wouldn't be able to hide behind staying in soul form all the time anymore.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Aaron said:
In the sequel, instead of just collecting souls from the enemies to level up, which is just too damn easy, you should have to cut off a part from them when they're dead, and eat it (cooking and spices optional). Of course, you can only eat while alive, so you wouldn't be able to hide behind staying in soul form all the time anymore.

...that is sadistic. Curse you and your desecration of my name.

rainer516

That crazy Japanese Moon Language
Aaron said:

'Demon's Bodies' sounds like a crappy title but pray tell, what difference would this make? Why not just make the soul bonus in body form higher?

Top Bottom