• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Descent' reboot caught in limbo allegedly due to breakdown in relationship with publisher, Little Orbit

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
TechRaptor provides a breakdown of the breakdown:

Descendent Studios, the studio behind Descent (2019) AKA Descent: Underground is still experiencing troubles with its publisher Little Orbit. This is according to multiple posts over the past few months on the game’s Discord by director Eric “Wingman” Peterson. “Essentially our contract got breached, and now we are trying to unwind it and get the game to market...”
Descent has been completed for quite some time according to Peterson. “It is literally done, just needs a good open beta period to iron out confit issues and gameplay imbalance, but we can’t self publish without getting the rights to do it, and so far LO (Little Orbit) is not letting us seek another pub or publish ourselves.” It seems that because the game’s publisher Little Orbit is holding the game back from release, it’s bleeding the development team dry. While it’s not confirmed by Little Orbit, Peterson states that the development of the game has been in limbo, due to a revolving cast of producers, lack of marketing, massive gameplay changes, and the decision to scrap major aspects of the game in favor of a more arcade-like experience.
As of the time of writing the game’s official website is down and the servers that were running for the Early Access version, Descent Underground, are also down. The game’s Steam page is also currently down, but that’s due to Descendent Studios wanting it down until the release of the game’s single-player portion.
After reaching out to Little Orbit we were informed that they’re “unable to provide any official comment on Eric Peterson’s statements at this time” but will reach back out to us when they are able to.

---

I'm a big Descent fan. Even though I know a lot of my fellow pilots are more interested in the spiritual successor made by the original devs, Overload, I was hopeful this game would at least see the light of day. I think Descendent Studios also has a lot of passion for the IP.

Top Bottom