• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Designated Survivor |OT| President Bauer Power Hour

strafer

holy shit, it's so weird seeing Jack Bauer confused.

I imagine there is a real designated survivor, I do wonder who that is.

holy shit, it's so weird seeing Jack Bauer confused.

I imagine there is a real designated survivor, I do wonder who that is.
Kind of how it was presented in the show, it rotates around. Just that any time there's a large gathering of government officials in one spot, they make it a point to have one person not attend and under guard. Wikipedia even lists the designated survivors for a bunch of past events (usually State of the Union addresses).

strafer

Kind of how it was presented in the show, it rotates around. Just that any time there's a large gathering of government officials in one spot, they make it a point to have one person not attend and under guard. Wikipedia even lists the designated survivors for a bunch of past events (usually State of the Union addresses).

Yeah I figured.

Also, I knew that military dude looked familiar.

Gibbs in the pirates movies.

Gibbs300px.PNG

ItIsOkBro

Enjoyed it a lot.

My hopes moving forward:
-Less 'convenient' dialog (how many times can people talk about Tom Kirkman without realizing he's in the room)
-Please, no rebellious son because he can't adjust to this new life storyline
-I hope he deals with more than military affairs (although that's the easiest to dramatize)

strafer

Very nice premiere.
And when he entered dat Bauer mode during the talk with iranian ambassador..so good :)

I know. But it so weird seeing Jack Bauer not being Jack Bauer.

And the scene with the nuclear football and the comment about it not being like in the movies, there was a nuclear football in one of the 24 seasons. I laughed.

Also a 24 namedrop when that guy was one the phone. :D

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Sutherland has a really commanding presence. He seems so genuine in all of his scenes. I was a little worried that I wouldn't buy him in this role but it worked.

kurahador

Promising start. 2 things I really...really hope the show won't do;
- Bauer turns out having an affair with Maggie Q or anyone else.
- Filler episodes involving his son's drug deal.

Ohwiseone

I Doubt it holds but having the most viewers is pretty good for a freshman show.

I really really liked it. I hope it stays around for a few seasons at least.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

Turns out, Hillary Clinton may have been designated survivor at one point. Pretty interesting.

One can guess who is designated survivor by observing who is missing from State of Union addresses.

Designated Survivor's ratings started pretty well for the 10 p.m. slot

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/the-sked-wednesday-ratings-9-21-2016.html

[im g]http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Fast-Demo-2016-Sep-WED.21.png[/img]

Hope it keeps going up! I hate investing in series just to see them get cancelled.

strafer

they could totally tie this into 24.

Jack is undercover and hiding from the bad guys who took him in Die Another Day.

Turns out, Hillary Clinton may have been designated survivor at one point. Pretty interesting.

One can guess who is designated survivor by observing who is missing from State of Union addresses.

Wikipedia actually does point out one time where Clinton, while not being the designated survivor, was overseas and would have still effectively been the survivor had something occurred since she was higher up the chain than the actual designee.

Maddocks

Oh snake, why you so good. Him room the Iranian ambassador he has 3 hours. I almost expected him to pull out a gun and shoot someone in the leg to prove a point.

real solid opener, can't wait to see more and see were it and the country goes.

AzerPhire

Plot is ripped straight out of a Tom Clancy novel. I have this on my DVR and will check it out tonight, glad to hear the positive impressions.

ldcommando

Banned
Loved it. Can´t wait for Bauer to start screaming at people.

"But, mr. President, it is not possible to..."

"DO IT, DO IT NOW!!!!!""""

Holy shit this popped up on Netflix UK today, what a nice surprise. I'll check it out now.

EDIT: Just watched it and it was pretty good.

Season 1: The Bombing
Season 2: The Election
Season 3: Term 2, Legit Style

I envision the character development by season 6...

VDysg7.gif

If we get a Season 2, can we call it The Phantom Presidency

Season 1: The Bombing
Season 2: The Election
Season 3: Term 2, Legit Style

I envision the character development by season 6...

VDysg7.gif

If we get a Season 2, can we call it The Phantom Presidency

Seriously. As the seasons go by, he needs to become more and more like Jack Bauer. Grizzled and cynical and violent.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Hopefully the son dies or something doing something stupid. I'd rather Jack face the loss of family during troubled times rather than drug allegations. :/

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I know it's TV and all, but in the real world I don't think the first place they'd stick the new POTUS is the White House if someone actually managed to bomb the Capitol. Seems spectacularly dumb to assume any place in DC is safe and they can set up command anywhere.
Hah, that was my exact thought, too.

Really liked this episode and looking forward to the rest of the season.

Kifimbo

Yeah I figured.

Also, I knew that military dude looked familiar.

Gibbs in the pirates movies.

Gibbs300px.PNG

Worst part of the show. Why is the main military general have to be a mindless war hawk without any nuance ?

Otherwise it was pretty good. Hope the kids stay in the background.

Pilgrimzero

I wonder what kind of total butt fucking the USA would give to whatever nation/organization was behind something like that.

I know it's TV and all, but in the real world I don't think the first place they'd stick the new POTUS is the White House if someone actually managed to bomb the Capitol. Seems spectacularly dumb to assume any place in DC is safe and they can set up command anywhere.

This is looking pretty good otherwise, cliche military asshole aside.

Presumably there is a fallout bunker under the White House, so that might actually legit be a very safe place to go.
Come to think of it, you would think that in all those zombie shows and entertainment, they would thought to include that. Like say, the government surviving in a bunker but not being able to reach out. Or did they already do that on The Walking Dead (aside from the CDC thing)? I don't watch that show, so I don't know. I also don't remember it coming up in World War Z, the novel, despite the world's governments surviving in that one.

What was worse was the lights and sirens on the cars. You have one guy left and presumably someone has the technological capability to strike a severely protected area (looking at that shot of the building and the pushy general, I'm willing to bet on drone strike as a reveal, since that obviously is a concern for the future. What happens when someone manages to turn one on a US domestic target? Also the explosion is too big for any homemade type bomb, I think. Unless you have a van filled with explosives -Oklahoma bombing- you're not going to do that much damage without someone picking up signs), yet you put him in the disco party van. "you wanna bomb our guy? Here he is, motherfuckers! Bitch, I fucking dare ya!". That, and Maggie Q bringing up Paris and Brussels was cringey. I mean, those weren't aimed at the state, they were aimed at people in a reachable location. The capitol is none of those things.
Realistically speaking, I don't think anyone would have the capability to strike that target and nobody noticing it beforehand. At least not after 9/11.

I know, thinking too much about this. It was a well-made pilot, but like 24 or any other show like this, I don't have much interest in it as it goes on. Ditched Homeland after Benny-Hill-Music-Nicolas in early S2 too. S1 was great though.

White House is incredibly safe,
Not only do you have likely 40+ secret service agents you have a decent sized military team(including a sniper team on the roof) there you have an absolutely ridiculous bunker as well as well as anti-air missile launchers around the building.

Trying to get outside of DC wouldn't be worth the risk when they have absolutely no idea what happened.

What if it was an inside job...

It was America all along!

As soon as the president (as doomed here as the E-Corp exec on Mr. Robot) started talking about taxing the 1% in his speech I expected a cut to a smoke filled room where white men in suits nod, call their pet PMC to 'execute Broken Eagle' and smugly sit back. At least they are a bit more realistic in naming Iran then the unnamed 3 countries on a 24 season where basically the same thing happened.

But maybe it will not be so obvious. For now this seems pretty good and they've got some nice supporting actors. I missed the credits roll and every few minutes was a pleasant suprise. Peter Outerbridge ! Maggie Q ! Malik Yoba ! That pirate guy !

$10 says asshole general will turn out to be actually a Good Guy and die tragically after President Bauer wins his respect and there will be A MOLE you don't expect.

When I checked IMDB yesterday they had Natasha McElhone credited under two names, evil twin sister ? Now she is just Jessica Kirkman

Top Bottom