• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Designated Survivor |OT| President Bauer Power Hour

Tapejara

Great second episode. I'm glad the scene with Kirkman's son didn't go anywhere beyond "I got a phone call." Hope they don't take it further beyond him being irresponsible. I also like how they went all in with treatment of Muslims. It's a great comparison to what's going on in world right now, and I was happy to see Kirkman wouldn't stand for it. Also, fuck Governor Royce.

Aaron and Emily have a lot of chemistry, it's always fun seeing them on screen together.

WillyFive

So much for the survivor not being someone who was higher up on the chain of succession.

Yeah, that would have been a cool story point. The show has the ability to tell stories about scenarios that you don't see often in other stories; like how does a President enforce the law without a Supreme Court, or even a Congress to appoint one in the first place.

Jarmel

Banned
Good episode, obviously the scene with the General was the best.

I wonder though, what would happen in a scenario like this if the President is assumed dead and somebody else is sworn in but the President turns out to be alive?

Jarmel

Banned
This visit to the destroyed Capital feels so awkward.

I think that's somewhat the point in that he's not used to the role and so is fumbling about. Even at the end he's not sure what to say other than the usual remarks.

The President gets back in charge.

However the other person is already sworn in so I guess there was a period of two Presidents or is the swearing in process retroactively nullified?

I think that's somewhat the point in that he's not used to the role and so is fumbling about. Even at the end he's not sure what to say other than the usual remarks.

However the other person is already sworn in so I guess there was a period of two Presidents or is the swearing in process retroactively nullified?

Well, there have been acting presidents when the president is sick or having surgery, so it'd be something similar here, I think.

Tom is unelected and doesn't even want the job, so I'm sure the original president would be back in charge assuming he's not suffering horrific trauma or something. I think in reality, the original president actually does get back in charge if he wants.

MrMephistoX

Wow this show is so good perfect casting and nice to see Maggie Q getting a mainstream role. ABC is really stepping up with solid Asian characters.

The writing is pretty awful so far; every five minutes someone is explaining something to someone else for the sake of the audience. Show, Don't Tell is especially important in screenwriting.

Wordy exposition worked in 24 because the rapid-fire dialogue was part of the action. But here we have stuff like:
"Jack, he was 17. The same age as Leo."

Jack's got a lot on his mind, but I'm pretty sure he still remembers how old his son is and doesn't need his babe of a wife spelling out the personal connection. And isn't the fact that he's 17 and got brutally beaten to death already tragic enough for both Jack and the audience to feel for?

But despite the hack writing, I'm here for Jack.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This show is so fucking bad that it's ALMOST great.

Badly written and extremely telegraphed characters combined with Sorkin-level preachiness. It's just not camp enough to pull it off like 24.

The writing is pretty awful so far; every five minutes someone is explaining something to someone else for the sake of the audience. Show, Don't Tell is especially important in screenwriting.

Wordy exposition worked in 24 because the rapid-fire dialogue was part of the action. But here we have stuff like:
"Jack, he was 17. The same age as Leo."

Jack's got a lot on his mind, but I'm pretty sure he still remembers how old his son is and doesn't need his babe of a wife spelling out the personal connection. And isn't the fact that he's 17 and got brutally beaten to death already tragic enough for both Jack and the audience to feel for?

But despite the hack writing, I'm here for Jack.

His wife really is a babe.

strafer

I dont care if it's fanservice, this guy should have been played by Carlos Bernard.

eOjciA2.png

Rymuth

First episode was fun.

Second episode was.....eeeh.

Asshole General is so cookie-cutter, it feels like I'm watching a cartoon.

Asshole General is so cookie-cutter, it feels like I'm watching a cartoon.

Before the end of the season President Bauer and the General will be best buds and shooting bad guys together. He's such an obvious foil he cannot be part of the Real Bad Guys.

strafer

Great episode. Love this show so far.

I do wonder what is up with Maggie Q. When Kiefer first arrived at Ground Zero she nodded to him like they knew each other.

Also, the son stuff needs to stop. I dont want another Kim.

Qvoth

can't figure out where i've seen the actress that played the republican designated survivor
what's the reason kiefer became the president instead of her anyway? other than for plot reasons
wtzgU.gif

can't figure out where i've seen the actress that played the republican designated survivor
what's the reason kiefer became the president instead of her anyway? other than for plot reasons
wtzgU.gif

Virginia Madsen? She's been in a lot of things.

In real life there are also two designated survivors. The interviews for this show suggest they are partisan picks (as in, the president picks one and the opposing party picks the other, as suggested in the show) but pre-show research told me it's really meant so that there would be survivors from both the executive branch (the White House) and the legislative branch (Congress).

Top Bottom