• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Despite strong sales, Days Gone Steam numbers half those of Horizon Zero Dawn

Juza

Congratulations to Mr. Jim Ryan on the successful launch of Days Gone on PC.

Can't wait to the next game.
D4nUJPo.jpg

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Horizon Zero Dawn is a new IP when launch, just like Days Gone, GoT...
i mean the huge popularity of HZD before it even launched on PC platform, compared to Days gone.

Last edited:

Fake

i mean the huge popularity of HZD before it even launched on PC platform, compared to Days gone.

You mean, the PR Sony made when he announce HZD to PC? Days Gone almost don't get PR. Even Death Stranding get PR when was announced for PC.

IDK about 'popularity', again, you're comparing a new IP with another new IP. God of War, TLOUS, all those games have popularity because they already left the new IP for behind.

lh032

You mean, the PR Sony made when he announce HZD to PC? Days Gone almost don't get PR. Even Death Stranding get PR when was announced for PC.

IDK about 'popularity', again, you're comparing a new IP with another new IP. God of War, TLOUS, all those games have popularity because they already left the new IP for behind.
i mean HZD was well received and sold alot on PS4, compared to days gone. So naturally its going to sell really well on PC platform.
Example, if you sold 10 mil copies of Game A and 5 mil copies of Game B on PS, Game A is probably going to sell alot on PC compared to Game B.

HZD sold more than 10 mil copies alone, on ps4 in 2019, so its not surprising it sold very well on PC in 2021.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Well Horizon was the more popular series.. Days Gone gets shit talked endlessly online.

I'm disappointed but hardly surprised.

Fake

i mean HZD was well received and sold alot on PS4, compared to days gone. So naturally its going to sell really well on PC platform.
Example, if you sold 10 mil copies of Game A and 5 mil copies of Game B on PS, Game A is probably going to sell alot on PC compared to Game B.

Scores don't tell if a game have more popularity than 'x' or 'y'. If I remember right, in the Days Gone departament, he sold a lot on PS4 too.

Sony spend a huge amount of money promoving HZD at launch, countless of streammers promoving the game.

Last edited:

lh032

Scores don't tell if a game have more popularity than 'x' or 'y'. If I remember right, in the Days Gone departament, he sold a lot on PS4 too.
yes, but less than HZD. yes scores doesnt matter but most consumers would go for games with bigger popularity, thats what i want to say. I know days gone is well received on steam.

Last edited:

Fake

yes, but less than HZD. yes scores doesnt matter but most consumers would go for games with bigger popularity, thats what i want to say. I know days gone is well received on steam.

Just by the fact Sony is making Horizon sequel a crossgen tell much about popularity. Even them are not so confidence, maybe the game have popularity to sell, but not to guarante a PS5 locked exclusive.

Ratched and Clank on the other hand will be PS5 only.

Again, I not saying HZD have low popularity, but I can't compare with other new IPs either. Reviewers was pretty much aggressive with Days Gone, this affect the game legs unlike HZD.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT

HZD sold more than 10 mil copies alone, on ps4 in 2019, so its not surprising it sold very well on PC in 2021.
If you mean sold like crap on the PC your correct. So this is 0-2 for steam users and Playstation ports lol. With 100 million plus users you figure you accidentally get a million sales day 1.

lh032

If you mean sold like crap on the PC your correct. So this is 0-2 for steam users and Playstation ports lol. With 100 million plus users you figure you accidentally get a million sales day 1.
im comparing the sales between days gone and HZD on steam, of course it sold like crap if compared to PS4 lol

I was enjoying Days Gone for the first few hours, now it's becoming a chore to play. As matter a fact, I'm enjoying the meltdowns in threads like this more than the games themselves. No one can deny witnessing the meltdowns are the literally the highlight of GAF.

I seriously don't get why some people are so upset that Sony's catalogue of games are all now "timed exclusives". So what if others get to play the same game a little later than you? How does that hurt your experience with said game? For the most part, they are single player games FFS. It's like dating a girl for a while, then y'all break up. Now someone else gets to fuck her. Why does it hurt your that someone else gets to smash her? It's pathetic.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
im comparing the sales between days gone and HZD on steam, of course it sold like crap if compared to PS4 lol
Both sold like crap by any metric and should finally let Sony know it is foolish endeavor. Losing console sales to get almost no PC sales. PC games love to buy hardware but they sure don't like buying games.

Both sold like crap by any metric and should finally let Sony know it is foolish endeavor. Losing console sales to get almost no PC sales. PC games love to buy hardware but they sure don't like buying games.
PC gamers have higher expectations and standards compared to the rest of the gamers. If we didn't, we would have settled for the console versions instead.

IntentionalPun

Those PC ports are just waste of time and energy for Sony, they should stop this right now. It's time they realize that.
This port was likely insanely cheap for Sony.. and even 100k copies is several million dollars revenue.

HZD launched with over 700k sales.. so that means Days Gone was several hundred thousand sales.. making Sony an easy 7 figure return, and long tail sales will likely continue to multiply that.

Companies look for growth areas.. and PC would be that for Sony. Revenue they largely weren't getting before, revenue they can increase over time as they gain more popularity with PC players who weren't Playstation fans, etc.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Do you have any source of what are saying?
Source for my speculation? Yeah, kindof:

Development of a PC port began around the time Sony Bend got to work on a patch upgrading Days Gone for the PlayStation 5, giving it 4K resolution and 60 frames per second performance. “The first time that we got to play the game in 4K, 60 [fps] was a pretty awesome experience,” Jensen said. “And so, when we were presented with PC, we’re like, ‘That sounds awesome. We can go higher than 60!’”

They only recently started working on it.. unless you think the 60FPS patch for the Days Gone on PS5 was some huge effort.

This didn't take them long, was basically a tweaking of controls + utilizing some built in Unreal Engine features, and of course some QA. No need to involve designers, artists, or any of that shit beyond a bit of UX work.

Last edited:

Fake

Source for my speculation? Yeah, kindof:

They only recently started working on it.. unless you think the 60FPS patch for the Days Gone on PS5 was some huge effort.

This didn't take them long, was basically a tweaking of controls + utilizing some built in Unreal Engine features, and of course some QA. No need to involve designers, artists, or any of that shit beyond a bit of UX work.

I talking about the cost. I never heard about 'PC ports' being 'insanely cheap'. There is a lot of optmizations to be done, thats require some work.

IntentionalPun

I talking about the cost. I never heard about 'PC ports' being 'insanely cheap'. There is a lot of optmizations to be done, thats require some work.
I'm talking relative to a normal game budget.

And the short time spent on it is just a near guarantee it wasn't particularly expensive nor did it require long to optimize. Cost for Sony is based on time spent on it by how many people.

Chiggs

Days Gone is a slog of a game with a bland main character. Not surprised to see Horizon do better; it’s the better game.

Hari Seldon

I had honestly never even heard of this game. So this is some 1P Sony game that came out years later on PC with no marketing? Looking at the steam page it looks like Generic 3p Zombie Action, The Game. I wouldn't touch this shit for tree fiddy. This is the definition of a game made by committee that will only sell if marketing is shoving it down the throats of a captive audience.

Brofist

I had honestly never even heard of this game. So this is some 1P Sony game that came out years later on PC with no marketing? Looking at the steam page it looks like Generic 3p Zombie Action, The Game. I wouldn't touch this shit for tree fiddy. This is the definition of a game made by committee that will only sell if marketing is shoving it down the throats of a captive audience.
Yep pretty much. I only knew of this game from the other salt fiesta of a topic that announced it would be coming to the PC.

VFXVeteran

Banned
People forget but H:ZD launched in a dry period last year, so it had an easier time. Comparatively DG had to go up against some very popular releases like ME:LE & Biomutant all within the same timeframe.

For me DG is by far the better game, and I think over time it will have stronger legs on PC comparatively.
Agree on all fronts. I had to force myself to finish HZD. It dragged on and on and on. The story was unfolded so slowly, I lost interest as soon as Aloy got to be an adult. Days Gone has arguably the best graphics to date on PC so it destroys H:ZD on the technical level. Gameplay is much more realistic and it always gives you that fear factor. Many different ways to kill zombies too. I love his traversal as opposed to HZDs.

Last edited:
Agree on all fronts. I had to force myself to finish HZD. It dragged on and on and on. The story was unfolded so slowly, I lost interest as soon as Aloy got to be an adult. Days Gone has arguably the best graphics to date on PC so it destroys H:ZD on the technical level. Gameplay is much more realistic and it always gives you that fear factor. Many different ways to kill zombies too. I love his traversal as opposed to HZDs.
I couldn't force myself to finish HZD honestly. Days Gone is definitely better paced and more visually pleasing.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Cry me a river. Grow up kid and get with reality. I'm not even sure why you are in PC threads, when you cry every time a game comes to PC. Better stock up on boxes and boxes of Kleenex.
Can you quote a single post where I've ever 'cried every time a game comes to PC'? Go ahead. Just one. I'll print it out and sit it next to my 3080.

You're probably the worst, most brainless platform warrior on this entire site. You spend hours and hours with your dumbass PCMR schtick. It's amazing to see you show up constantly to say dumb shit like 'HURR PC PLAYERS R SMARTR'. Get a life, lad.

Last edited:
Can you quote a single post where I've ever 'cried every time a game comes to PC'? Go ahead. Just one. I'll print it out and sit it next to my 3080.

You're probably the worst, most brainless platform warrior on this entire site. You spend hours and hours with your brainless PCMR schtick. It's amazing to see you show up constantly to say dumb shit like 'HURR PC PLAYERS R SMARTR'. Get a life, lad.

Whining as per usual. I said PC gamers expect more, not sure why you keep twisting my words (far from the first time). Interesting way to GPU flex though, so wanna see a 3090?! You can ignore me so you can hopefully get on with your life. 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♀️ 🤡

Last edited:

Optimus Lime

Whining as per usual. I said PC gamers expect more, not sure why you keep twisting my words (far from the first time). Interesting way to GPU flex though, so wanna see a 3090?! You can ignore me if so you can hopefully get on with your life. 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♀️ 🤡
You forgot to quote me whining about PC ports.

I'm not 'twisting your words'. You literally claim, over and over again, in multiple threads, that PC players represent some kind of elite-tier class of gamer. It's just hilariously lame and pathetic. It's the kind of shit an 18 year old with his first prebuilt would say to annoy his little brother. The fact that it's being spewed by, presumably, an adult, for months at a time, multiple times a day, it's just brutally pathetic.

How is pointing out that I own a 3080, and thus, have no negative feelings towards Sony ports a 'GPU flex'?

You often claim that owning a PC - ANY PC - indicates that you 'enjoy the finer things in life'. I assume that your schooling can't be described in similar terms.

You forgot to quote me whining about PC ports.

I'm not 'twisting your words'. You literally claim, over and over again, in multiple threads, that PC players represent some kind of elite-tier class of gamer. It's just hilariously lame and pathetic. It's the kind of shit an 18 year old with his first prebuilt would say to annoy his little brother. The fact that it's being spewed by, presumably, an adult, for months at a time, multiple times a day, it's just brutally pathetic.

How is pointing out that I own a 3080, and thus, have no negative feelings towards Sony ports a 'GPU flex'?

You often claim that owning a PC - ANY PC - indicates that you 'enjoy the finer things in life'. I assume that your schooling can't be described in similar terms.
I must have been remembering you crying about something else in guessing. Here in this thread how everyone is taking about PC gaming, then you pop up with a tantrum of a 4 year old.

You are twisting my words. Lol. You literally just said your not, but then you are.

No one asked what gpu you have. Not me, not anyone in this thread.

Consoles are associated with casual gaming

A PC can be used for more than gaming, so yes you can enjoy more things with it. That's an obvious statement. Anyone who has used one, knows this. What's the problem there?

What's really lame and pathetic is having someone constantly bitching and crying about your posts, when there is an ignore button. Why not use it? You don't have to read my posts you know? There's a reason that button was invented and implemented in this site. You don't wanna get emotional over someone's posts? Ignore them!

Optimus Lime

I must have been remembering you crying about something else in guessing. Here in this thread how everyone is taking about PC gaming, then you pop up with a tantrum of a 4 year old.

You are twisting my words. Lol. You literally just said your not, but then you are.

No one asked what gpu you have. Not me, not anyone in this thread.

Consoles are associated with casual gaming

A PC can be used for more than gaming, so yes you can enjoy more things with it. That's an obvious statement. Anyone who has used one, knows this. What's the problem there?

What's really lame and pathetic is having someone constantly bitching and crying about your posts, when there is an ignore button. Why not use it? You don't have to read my posts you know? There's a reason that button was invented and implemented in this site. You don't wanna get emotional over someone's posts? Ignore them!
Those posts aren't, in any way, posts 'crying about ports'. Why did you post them? Are you an idiot?

'Consoles are associated with casual gaming'. News flash for you, genius: so are PC's. If you deny this, you are completely deluded. There are plenty of 'hardcore' games that are PC-exclusive. Absolutely true. There are an equal amount of titles that are mainstream, casual, and designed for people who aren't forum dwelling trolls like yourself. Minecraft, The Sims, Overwatch, the oceans of clicker games, indie crap modelled on the 1990's. The idea that just because the platform is also home to EVE Online and Escape From Tarkov doesn't mean it's 'less casual'. Only a genuine moron would believe that.

You have convinced yourself that your preferred platform represents some kind of higher standard of gaming. It's so fucking funny to read, day after day.

Awww. And you're begging me to ignore you. What's wrong? Gonna cry? Go on. Tell me about how hardcore you are, and how you enjoy the finer things in life because you're so smart and your mother bought you a prebuilt. Do it.

Those posts aren't, in any way, posts 'crying about ports'. Why did you post them? Are you an idiot?

'Consoles are associated with casual gaming'. News flash for you, genius: so are PC's. If you deny this, you are completely deluded. There are plenty of 'hardcore' games that are PC-exclusive. Absolutely true. There are an equal amount of titles that are mainstream, casual, and designed for people who aren't forum dwelling trolls like yourself. Minecraft, The Sims, Overwatch, the oceans of clicker games, indie crap modelled on the 1990's. The idea that just because the platform is also home to EVE Online and Escape From Tarkov doesn't mean it's 'less casual'. Only a genuine moron would believe that.

You have convinced yourself that your preferred platform represents some kind of higher standard of gaming. It's so fucking funny to read, day after day.

Awww. And you're begging me to ignore you. What's wrong? Gonna cry? Go on. Tell me about how hardcore you are, and how you enjoy the finer things in life because you're so smart and your mother bought you a prebuilt. Do it.
Are you incapable of reading the very first sentence of my last post? Lol and you can me an idiot? Lol!

I get better performance on PC which is why i prefer it. But go ahead, keep telling me about myself and how my mom bought me my PC 😂😂😂. I should ask you what color underwear I'm currently wearing, since you think you know me so well.

And no, I'm telling you to ignore me since you keep crying about how I post, what I post, when I post, etc. You obviously are triggered by my posts, which is why you keep quoting me. You getting emotional about the content of my posts is not going to change the content of what I post. You getting triggered from my posts, is not going to make me sleep any less or make me feel sorry for you. So you might as well quit while you're behind.

If you'd like to continue to be open and share your feelings with us, go right ahead. But at least stay on topic while you are at it. You wouldn't wanna derail the thread, would you?

Optimus Lime

Are you incapable of reading the very first sentence of my last post? Lol and you can me an idiot? Lol!

I get better performance on PC which is why i prefer it. But go ahead, keep telling me about myself and how my mom bought me my PC 😂😂😂. I should ask you what color underwear I'm currently wearing, since you think you know me so well.

And no, I'm telling you to ignore me since you keep crying about how I post, what I post, when I post, etc. You obviously are triggered by my posts, which is why you keep quoting me. You getting emotional about the content of my posts is not going to change the content of what I post. You getting triggered from my posts, is not going to make me sleep any less or make me feel sorry for you. So you might as well quit while you're behind.

If you'd like to continue to be open and share your feelings with us, go right ahead. But at least stay on topic while you are at it. You wouldn't wanna derail the thread, would you?
I did read your first sentence. Then, I pointed out - again - the idiocy of your original accusation.

You aren't in every thread saying 'I prefer PC gaming due to the performance'.

You post things like this:

PC gamers have higher expectations and standards compared to the rest of the gamers. If we didn't, we would have settled for the console versions instead.
Which is, in no way, what you just claimed. You argue, consistently, that owning a PC makes you a 'superior' gamer. Why are you even bothering to claim otherwise?

I'm not triggered by your posts, little guy. I definitely think you are one of the worst posters on NeoGAF, and you represent everything wrong with the modern bandwagon jumping 'PC gamer' who showed up during the PS4 era. I am fairly open about that. And, I enjoy pointing out what a dope you are and watching you trip over your own hypocrisies and ludicrously stupid statements. You're a platform warrior, kid. It's very obvious, and to your credit, you make no secret of that. So, I like laughing at you, and watching you have a shrieking meltdown - as you have in this thread.

Serious question, though. Did you thank your mother when she bought you your prebuilt? I bet it was an exciting night in the trailer.

I did read your first sentence. Then, I pointed out - again - the idiocy of your original accusation.

You aren't in every thread saying 'I prefer PC gaming due to the performance'.

You post things like this:

Which is, in no way, what you just claimed. You argue, consistently, that owning a PC makes you a 'superior' gamer. Why are you even bothering to claim otherwise?

I'm not triggered by your posts, little guy. I definitely think you are one of the worst posters on NeoGAF, and you represent everything wrong with the modern bandwagon jumping 'PC gamer' who showed up during the PS4 era. I am fairly open about that. And, I enjoy pointing out what a dope you are and watching you trip over your own hypocrisies and ludicrously stupid statements. You're a platform warrior, kid. It's very obvious, and to your credit, you make no secret of that. So, I like laughing at you, and watching you have a shrieking meltdown - as you have in this thread.

Serious question, though. Did you thank your mother when she bought you your prebuilt? I bet it was an exciting night in the trailer.
Listen kid, if I get better performance on my PC vs any console, why would I not choose the better version? I've personally experienced this, hence my switch from 360 to PC as my primary platform. I've been playing on PC since the DOS era, so not sure where your assumption of ps4 era came from? At least get one thing correct, instead of being completely wrong on all fronts.

You are triggered by my posts. You keep on trying to tell me about yourself, and you keep on whining about my posts. No body gives a fuck, especially not me. You constantly crying about it has got you where exactly? Nothing has changed, so not sure what you are trying to accomplish here. Whatever it is, it's obviously not working in your favor. You can laugh all you want, but again, nobody gives a fuck.

And now you're trying to say I have a prebuilt that my mom bought 😂, because I have a better PC than you? Jesus Christ, people are so envious and jealous now a days. Get a job, and stop worrying about what others have and what they post, and worry about yourself. I'm going to take this to PM,s. I want to make sure that you are going to be ok and pull through this though time for you.

Duchess

Personal opinion.

Overall, I enjoyed Days Gone. Its flaws were that it was too long, and that it began to repeat itself. Oh, and the mandatory (large scale) hoard fights were completely misplaced.

Other than that, it's very much worth playing.

Optimus Lime

Listen kid, if I get better performance on my PC vs any console, why would I not choose the better version? I've personally experienced this, hence my switch from 360 to PC as my primary platform. I've been playing on PC since the DOS era, so not sure where your assumption of ps4 era came from? At least get one thing correct, instead of being completely wrong on all fronts.
I'm not saying you shouldn't. I'm not arguing that the PC can't, in many instances, give a far better experience than on a console - and, typically, the only time that it doesn't is when a port is marred by technical problems. Why wouldn't it? That's not what we're talking about. My problem is your completely brainless assertions that owning and using a PC somehow makes you some kind of superior class of gamer. This is complete and utter bullshit, and the fact that you show up over and over again making those claims just makes you look like the worst kind of platform warring imbecile.

You are triggered by my posts. You keep on trying to tell me about yourself, and you keep on whining about my posts. No body gives a fuck, especially not me. You constantly crying about it has got you where exactly? Nothing has changed, so not sure what you are trying to accomplish here. Whatever it is, it's obviously not working in your favor. You can laugh all you want, but again, nobody gives a fuck.
I'm definitely annoyed by your posts. Douchebags are annoying. But, at the same time, I very much enjoy laughing at PCMR morons like yourself, so it's kind of a tricky situation for me.
And now you're trying to say I have a prebuilt that my mom bought 😂, because I have a better PC than you? Jesus Christ, people are so envious and jealous now a days. Get a job, and stop worrying about what others have and what they post, and worry about yourself. I'm going to take this to PM,s. I want to make sure that you are going to be ok and pull through this though time for you.
But, did you thank her?

Well, I think HZD is far, far ahead of Days Gone when it comes to quality, in every single way. A mediocre game vs an amazing game 🤷‍♂️

Not surprising to me.

Whitecrow

Banned
Nobody is port begging. The best thing about Playstation 'exclusives' on PC is the reaction from a certain warrior tribe....
500$ is enough money to want your purchase to have value.

It's anything but normal that console fans get angry if the console value gets diminished this way.

What's the point on buyibg a console if the games you buy it for will end up on PC?
Wanting your console to have value is not being a warrior tribe.

ACESHIGH

Banned
What's the point on buyibg a console if the games you buy it for will end up on PC?

Ease of use? Having your friends on the platform? Having a ps4 previously so you carry over your games to the ps5?

Only a specific subset of gamers (extreme enthusiasts) are affected by Sony releasing games on PC.

Otherwise how do you explain that a platform that started past gen with terrible PR, released most of their games on PC and had little marketing push in several regions of the world, still managed to sell 50M units? (Xbox one)

I love PC gaming but can't beat consoles for ease of use, even if PCs have came a long way since the 90s

Whitecrow

Banned
Ease of use? Having your friends on the platform? Having a ps4 previously so you carry over your games to the ps5?

Only a specific subset of gamers (extreme enthusiasts) are affected by Sony releasing games on PC.

Otherwise how do you explain that a platform that started past gen with terrible PR, released most of their games on PC and had little marketing push in several regions of the world, still managed to sell 50M units? (Xbox one)

I love PC gaming but can't beat consoles for ease of use, even if PCs have came a long way since the 90s
No one would pay 500$ just for ease of use.

Having friends in the same platform? Not all players are 15 year old.

The only thing I could buy is having it on your living room hoocked to a big TV, which I think is a far more common reason than friends or ease of use : /

Soodanim

Gold Member
500$ is enough money to want your purchase to have value.

It's anything but normal that console fans get angry if the console value gets diminished this way.

Wanting your console to have value is not being a warrior tribe.
If the value to you is diminished by a PC port, that’s your own insecurities - no more, no less. No one owes you anything just because you have the console version. You bought and paid for a game on a console, and it continues to be a game on a console after a PC version releases. If it means that much to you, either sell the console versions when the PC versions release or don’t buy the console versions at all. No one is forcing you to do anything. Don’t take emotion over your decisions out on others.

The warrior tribe is nothing but people doing exactly that. Insecurities leading to attachment and loyalty to entertainment products sold by for-profit businesses to whom nothing is a factor until is affects profit. A few console warring fanboys pissing in the wind because their gods aren’t treating them like the special little boys and girls they want to be isn’t affecting anyone or anything except the threads they cry in.

Imagine thinking Sony or anyone else gives a shit that you’ve chosen to feel upset about your perception of value changing.

*ring ring*
“Hi, is that Timmy? It’s Jim Ryan. I was thinking of porting one of our games to PC, because it’s money for old rope and the PC market isn’t a direct competitor like Xbox is and the console sales have dropped, so we won’t be hurting our core audience in any significant way. But I wanted to make sure you’re okay with it because I don’t want you to feel like your PlayStation is less valuable now. No? You’re not happy because you think your purchase is less justifiable now? The other reasons to own a PS5 don’t matter to you, you’re in it for Days Gone and Horizon and that’s it? Oh okay, I won’t bother then.”

Top Bottom