• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 – Official PC Launch Trailer

Probably zero chance until after first DLC. It would ruin stuff like World's First for Raids etc, if PS4 player brought over higher powered characters day one. Needs to be level footing for launch.

So make me ineligible for world's first or whatever, I really don't care, but I know tons of people who are not interested because their progress would be lost.

Man, that emphasis on "EXCLUSIVELY ON BATTLE.NET"

That's only making me more certain that Activision is going to make their exit from Steam within the next year or so, EA style, and that this is testing the waters.

hobozero

I am pumped for release. Skipped the consoles to wait for PC. But I am still worried about the movement. I played the beta, and the slow, deliberate movement from the consoles paired with more responsive mouse aiming made everything feel reallllly sluggish. Like walking through mud. I am hoping I won't notice after playing for a bit - at the very least, I don't think it will be possible to switch between Destiny and Wolfenstein.

soqquatto

It would ruin stuff like World's First for Raids etc.

how can a similar thing mean anything? I'd understand the actual "world first" (still, who's going to remember it?) but now anyone knows how to run and complete the raid. it's just a matter of getting to the appropriate power level and doing it.

That's only making me more certain that Activision is going to make their exit from Steam within the next year or so, EA style, and that this is testing the waters.

It'll be pretty rough for them to make the move as a publisher. Destiny is the only major franchise they have on PC. Call of Duty has struggled for a long time and that's on the largest storefront. Black Ops 2 is the last one that retained a community fairly well from what I remember?

Still looks good and the sizzle reel reminds us how good the game will look on PC.

But those sober threads about the state of the game from actual owners of the game add due context and should inform any purchase decisions far more than trailers intended to sell you a product. I still have my pre-order, but I continue to think long and hard about it.

The delay lost me. I had it prepurchased it but I was always weary cause I dislike how expensive the DLC was. Given the very split impressions I refunded. I’m sure there will be fun to be had for those that jump in though.

JackHerer

I'm excited for this and will play it, just not sure how much given how much time and effort I've already put in to the PS4 version. The lack of cross save really dampens my excitement for this which is a shame because normally I would be counting the days.

Still looks good and the sizzle reel reminds us how good the game will look on PC.

But those sober threads about the state of the game from actual owners of the game add due context and should inform any purchase decisions far more than trailers intended to sell you a product. I still have my pre-order, but I continue to think long and hard about it.

Agreed. Thing to consider is that we'll be jumping right into the game with the raid, the events and the expansion DLC coming out in 30-60 days.

I still think it's worth a purchase but the DLC needs to address a lot of problems when it comes to this game's longevity and end-game.

_woLf

I'm still so, so torn on this.

If it had cross save I would be a guaranteed purchase day one, as would a ton of people I know. They're losing so much money on not having it.

TripleBee

how can a similar thing mean anything? I'd understand the actual "world first" (still, who's going to remember it?) but now anyone knows how to run and complete the raid. it's just a matter of getting to the appropriate power level and doing it.
Agreed. So it would be pretty ridiculous for Bungie to even undercut that.

Ladekabel

Do we know when/if a preload will go live?

Never say never but I think that is more on Bungie than on Activision. I think I once saw contract details of the deal between Bungie and Activision and there were three companies that should be never allowed to work on Bungie IPs and one of them was Valve.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Still conflicted on picking this up for PC. With Creed, Wolfenstein 2 and Mario like 3 days after this, and all the other games wanting time...I don't have enough arms and eyes. T-T

Jeremy

Let me move my characters over and I'll bite, Bungie.

Yep. I'd buy two copies of most games if I had cross-platform accounts for games. Looking at you Overwatch, R6: Siege, Rocket League, Grand Theft Auto V (I did this anyway :s), every other game ever.

e: wait that's actually not what you meant but i'm leaving that

MUnited83

For you.

I don't think they want CoD to bomb even harder than it already does, so I find that unlikely.

I canceled my PC pre-order last week. The campaign is way too boring and terrible to play through an additional 3 times, and frankly, the game just isn't very good in general. What a bummer.

Just port Felwinter's Lie-era Destiny MP to Steam, Bungie. I'll give you $80.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Never say never but I think that is more on Bungie than on Activision. I think I once saw contract details of the deal between Bungie and Activision and there were three companies that should be never allowed to work on Bungie IPs and one of them was Valve.

That was in relation to "conversions" (i.e. ports) of Destiny "products" (i.e. games).

TripleBee

I don't think they want CoD to bomb even harder than it already does, so I find that unlikely.
If you compare % for masters on Overwatch between console and pc - it appears PC represents about 65% of players. So probably roughly 65% of sales.

Overwatch is at ~35 million - so PC is maybe at 22-23 million in a year.

So I'm assuming that there's a steam FPS that did better ? and thats why COD would bomb harder on Battlenet ?

The risk with releasing late PC ports is that a game's word of mouth can turn negative post-launch. What would have been an enthusiastic day-one purchase (while riding the hype) turns to apathy which turns to a potential discount purchase down the line, if at all.

Has there been any communication around changes/improvements from the beta? I know I wasn’t alone in not getting 4K to show up as a possible resolution on my LG C7 on a GTX 1080, and I never saw any of the “we discovered these issues and are listening for you feedback” etc type posts afte the pc beta

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah but still even Steamworks might have been enough to not allow them to release on steam.

Steamworks integration and even Steam DRM are entirely optional.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I'm almost certain Destiny 2 is sitting in the Steam registry.

Oh, okay. I guess Gearbox because of Halo: CE PC but why Valve?

Who knows. Maybe Bungie was wary of developers with a recent history of successful MP titles going through the games with a fine-tooth comb and taking notes.

Oh, okay. I guess Gearbox because of Halo: CE PC but why Valve?

That strikes me as bizarre as well.

I mean, I think someone at Valve who worked on Half Life 2 (or one of the Episodes) threw some shade at Halo 2/3 as a bit of a joke at some time (Along with general rivalry between the Xbox Halo and PC GAMER MASTER RACE Half Life fandoms back in the day) - But uh, that shit should have been looooooooooooooooooong in the past by now.

Gurrry

Nice to feel second class.

exactly. ive been dying for this game. but now that i hear all the complaints from everyone who is already max level on consoles... im thinking about skipping entirely. i put over 400 hours into D1.

not releasing the PC version at the same time was bullshit.

Baconmonk

Have they mentioned how event rollouts will work on Pc? Are we getting the raid day 1? How about Iron banner and trials? I assume at some point they will match up the event times, but we have missed a bit.

Weirdly okay with starting my progress over on pc! I'm hoping the pvp works well on kb/m.

TripleBee

Have they mentioned how event rollouts will work on Pc? Are we getting the raid day 1? How about Iron banner and trials? I assume at some point they will match up the event times, but we have missed a bit.

Weirdly okay with starting my progress over on pc! I'm hoping the pvp works well on kb/m.

First DLC is when all events and roll outs get synced. So basically like 6 weeks into PC.

katsais

So, same content, just better graphics? Just thinking of the re-grinding of characters makes my skin crawl. Cool, anyway...just PS4 for me.

Lucifon

Feel like the momentum with the pc version has completely fallen flat after the delayed launch. I know a bunch of people who planned to double dip but have decided against it now.

Top Bottom