• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 as a single player game....Yay or Nay?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Ok, this may have been covered to death, but i'm really liking the trial version and it would only ever be me playing it. What is the long life on this game for single player content, and would you say it would be good to get if i would be the only one playing and rarely doing any multiplayer stuff?

Thanks GAF!

DonF

Oh hell Nay
It may have nice gameplay (shooting and movement is satisfactory) but it's shallow as fuck, and the best part is the raid (which is pve, but requieres 6 people). Also, the story is shit.

Calibos

If you are only going singleplayer, it may be in the same vein as Cal of Duty, but with a little longer campaign.

I would not recommend it unless you could get it for dirt cheap. Also, if you are completely offline, you won't be able to play the game at all, as I believe it needs a server connection.

cormack12

Gold Member
If you're happy with an end game that has a limited scope and loot then yeah.

Basically you'll level to 20 through campaign, get about 260 power then there will be a small amount of tasks to increase your power each week. Or 25/335 with expansion.

If you have no intention to do the end game stuff you will be limited. A lot of the repeat tasks at end game are co-op. Heroic strikes (match making), world events (can be done as solo), clan xp (need a clan), nightfall (matchmaking provided you have tokens), raid (clan, friends or matching w/ token).

As a solo player you'll be limiting that to flashpoints and heroic strikes to level up which will take a while and get boring if you get the same drop at a powerful increase of 3.

If you're on PS4 we got some spaces in an EU clan that just opened up. No stress etc.

How much is it retailing for? Campaign and world quests probably have about 30 hours of playtime per character.

SonicSleuth

Ok, this may have been covered to death, but i'm really liking the trial version and it would only ever be me playing it. What is the long life on this game for single player content, and would you say it would be good to get if i would be the only one playing and rarely doing any multiplayer stuff?

Thanks GAF!

Nay for sure. So many great single player games, why mire yourself in this cult disaster?

Ryck

It's fine as a single player game IF ( big if) you enjoy the grinding and leveling up acquiring loot etc. I was able to hit max level (305 pre DLC) by myself with no raiding and playing completely alone. I did occasionally use the guided games option to do Nightfalls when I felt like it. Also I only made one character.

watdaeff4

I’ve put in almost 70 hours in the game and outside of a few Nightfalls/strikes with the clan I’m in, I’ve solo’Ed the game.

Yes I know the experience is much better in groups bUt the core gameplay is a lot of fun for me

I'm enjoying it solo without a party. I wish the game was more rpg than mmo but I still enjoy it for what it is. Some amazing landscapes and the gameplay loop is addictive

DryvBy

No, it's not that great of a game. It's better than the first game in terms of a campaign, but not much better in any other regard.

Muffdraul

I guess I have to say nay. I felt like I got my money's worth out of D1 which I played solo 90% of the time. But D2, I got to what felt like the endgame and just got bored and stopped. I'd played it 100% solo up to that point.

orborborb

I played hundred of hours of Destiny 1 and enjoyed it a lot more solo than I did playing with friends, but Destiny 2 wasn't enjoyable in either scenario.

NihoB

Neo Member
If you can get it on sale with the expansions for $20 or less then sure why not. Hell I'll even say $30 or under but like I said with the expansions. Any more than that not really worth if only for single player.

MDSLKTR

What's with all the nays? I'm like just having fun shooting shit and turning off my brain. But I also have fun playing diablo and borderlands solo so

I soloed the campaign of D1 and D2 and would not recommend doing so to anyone unless they can get the base game for under $20.

The gunplay is top notch IMO, but recent business moves make me really frosty toward Bungie.

I'd say "nay". In my opinion, the whole point of the end game after the campaign is over is to get leveled up to max power. That's just not going to happen very quickly if you don't at least do the Call To Arms and Heroic Strike milestones at each weekly reset.

That being said, there's plenty of time in between expansions to only do solo stuff and still max everything out eventually. It will just take double the amount of time.

ZehDon

Nay.

What made Destiny great was sharing the loot hunt with with friends. Destiny 2 doesn't really have a loot hunt, and Destiny 2's campaign isn't very good. Unless you have friends to play with, it'll gets pretty boring once the mediocre campaign is done.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I solo the campaign. I actually hated having to level up before I could continue because it's all spread out and it's repitious after a while. It's a solid campaign, but you'll probably be in a group at some point

n0razi

SP Campaign alone is worth it for $20. Nightfall/Raids/Co-Op's were the real meat of the game is, Crucible/PvP is terrible.

Waxwing

I probably spent 30-40 hours getting through campaign and then leveling to 290 with one character, starting another. All solo or grouped with randoms for strikes. The gunplay and movement are satisfying, but I was pretty disappointed by the story. I thought there would be a lot more to it. Also surprised at how short a time it took to reach the endgame.

I probably got my money's worth, but I'm done with it now. Maybe 2 years from now if the lore has been built out more I'd consider coming back.

bobone

I really liked it solo. And you still get some co-op involvement in the small world events.

Its like a 15 hour game at best, and there are some fun unlocks once you finish it. I never understood how people played this or the original for more than that. I feel like its 100% over once if over. Grinding for numbers is extremely unappealing.

stock-vector-vector-illustration-of-negative-red-nay-sign-board-199639673.jpg

if you want to play it solo, rent it for a week, then return it.

exactly what I did with destiny 2 on PS4

highrider

Banned
I’d say no, the campaign is a little better than the first game though. I like some level up/grindy games that aren’t great games, ME Andromeda for example I’m having a blast with in single and multiplayer, but for whatever reason I just find Destiny kind of tedious, and not particularly fun.

I think it has partially to do with Bungie making my favorite games in Halo, I just feel like it’s a big drop in quality compared to their previous work. It’s like they took one good development studio and split it, and neither Bungie or 343 are able to come close to the quality of their previous work.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Some content automatically involves other people like the open world stuff, strike play lists and pvp and that's where most of the grind is. its passive interaction mainly.

Grind stuff that kinda needs friends/communication are nightfalls and raids and trials pvp mode. You can get by without those but they're the most challenging and rewarding experiences.

I'm someone who hates playing shooters solo but there's a lot of content there and value depends on how much you're likely to enjoy the solo grind, but tbh you're prob better off buying destiny 1 - way more content, way more grindy gameplay, way more cool loot to RNG, cheaper, and nightfalls can be solo'd if you wish although that's still hard.

if you've done D1 - D2 is like an easier version of that and basically gives you everything on a plate and you don't really have to work hard for anything and there's very little worth working hard for.

BashNasty

Yay!

The shooting is great and the art direction is fantastic. You'll get at least 20 hours of fun out of the game which is more than worth the asking cost.

Havoc2049

Thanks GAF!

If you like what you've played so far, get it. The gunplay and the gameplay hit that sweet 30 seconds of sweet FPS fun spot that Bungie is know for in in games like Marathon, Halo and now Destiny. I'm a hardcore Destiny player and put in over 1000 hours into D1 and I'm closing in on 300 hours into Destiny 2. I belong to a gaming group/clan, but I run about half the time solo in Destiny.

The campaign is just a fraction of what Destiny 2 has to offer. The campaign is just to get your feet wet and to provide a base for the rest of the content. There is tons of metagame in Destiny, with secrets, factions, places to explore, tons of different game modes in PVP and PVE, timed events, seasonal events and other high level content.

Get Destiny 2 with the expansion though(season pass is best), as it adds tons more content with a new planet in Mercury, new strikes, expansion on the current raid, heroic strikes, new weapons and gear, Masterwork weapons and Forged weapons. The Dawning holiday event is going on right now, with Faction Rally and Iron Banner events next month.

For sure. Destiny gunplay is great and the loot aspect is still fun even if you're just mixing thing up depending on your drops in the early part of the game.

If you're more interested in the single player stuff, though, Destiny 1 plus expansions has like 5 different campaigns of varying lengths, and they're all superb aside from the base game. A lot of bang for your buck there.

Also, at least consider some multi? The DestinyGAF community is pretty cool and can help you through your first raid or two to teach you the ropes.

You're definitively better of getting Destiny 1's complete edition imho... It has way more content since it will have all the expansions, and since yo want to single player it, it doesn't really matter if there's less active users. Heck, considering how universally hated Destiny 2 is , I have a feeling most true destiny fans will eventually move back to the old game anyways.

Garnox

Single player is used loosely for this game. Cause I think of single player being more than just the regular campaign and Curse of Osiris.

Each week you get new weekly goals to hit (engrams) and most of those you can do solo (aka single player). Like you’re not required to join up with people for those save for Nightfall, Raids, and the newly Heroic Strikes (even those it does matchmaking for you)

So if you like leveling up your toon and searching for loot, there are plenty of things you can do solo that are fun.

Now if you’re strictly talking campaign/story... no. Not really a good choice. Like others have suggested, D1 has more story content, but when it’s all said and done, D2 should have a pretty solid campaign in the next year or two.

FightTest

I play solo. I had never played Destiny (didn't have a console at the time) so I bought D2 for PC thinking it would be like an FPS MMO.

But it's not. It's like a mediocre single player game with players that might as well be bots because there is no text chat. I made it to level 17 and never communicated with a single other player the entire time. The gameplay/story/mechanics weren't good enough to make me continue playing.

TLDR: No it's not.

blackjon24

As a new comer to the series I lost interest pretty fast playing by myself. I got the game initially to play with friends but it was hard for all of us to coordinate gaming sessions

Considering the expansion pack pricing in the first Destiny, I’m just going to wait until all the DLC is released before buying. I’ll buy the “all the dlc” edition when it gets released.

If you just wanna play the campaign, go rent it for a few days (you have access to Redbox?) and return it.

Huge nay to both. If you want a loot shooter get borderlands, if you want an mmo get WoW. I have never soured as fast on any other game than destiny 2. Never played the first since ive always been a pc guy. Got the beta, seemed fine and decided to buy it since one of my friends did also. Unfortunately the only good level in the game is the first.

I honestly cannot remember a single character from the game.. and im the kinda guy who is highly likely to remember quest givers in games like wow. I have no idea what the story was about and I can only name two places in the game, nessus and tower.

I have never ever played such a mediocre game which had such hype. Gameplay was good but its not that much better than games like borderlands. I quite honestly think that the game is a waste of money and time. Should have just skipped this whole franchise made a new halo instead.

What do people actually like in this game?

Top Bottom