• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2: Black Armory (Fool me once, I mean twice, wait.... three times. Four?)

VertigoOA

Banned
Well Im 540 on PS and 380 on X1 so lots of work to do!

No increase in soft cap either. That would solve it easily too.

I can’t even say they fucked over “casual” players... even getting to 540 is a huge time investment.

Like I get them wanting to populate all player activities by forcing them to chase milestones, etc... but it’s way too much.

I can’t see bungie letting this stay like this. It will literally take some players months. They have made changes to stuff like this even recently (warmind strike grind anyone?). By the time those changes are made tho hardcore players will have broken thru that roadblock anyway.

Last edited:
When people were given everything on a silver platter at the beginning of D2, there were lots of complaints and people just stopped playing because they got everything and nothing left to work towards. Bungie went back to the MMO playbook and added the grind back in to keep people playing.

That's not what I said tho. I don't want everything handed to me "on a silver platter" and neither am I against grind in loot orientated games. I've played my fair share of grindy games and I also understand that you need to give players something to work towards. My point was that the grind in D2 is not enjoyable due to the artificially stifled gear progression.

Other games (FFXIV, Diablo, PoE, etc..) manage the grind a lot better and make it a lot more enjoyable because you're allowed to progress at your own pace. Outside of daily/weekly activities you almost get no worthwhile loot at all. Doing regular activities should feel rewarding too, but as it stands there's really not point in doing that. Progression is way too restrictive and should be more linear, not arbitrarily crippled at certain level caps. It's not the grind itself that's bad, but the fact that the grind is not enjoyable in and of itself.

Destiny is still huge. Was one of the top 5 most played games on xbl up until last week for 3 months and in the top 10 since May.

Maybe on consoles, but on PC it feels like the player base is dwindling. Public events are often abandoned. PvP matchmaking takes far too long, often throws you into matches versus 4 stacks and most of the time you're pitted against the same people over and over again. Doesn't really give the impression that the PvP community on PC is that healthy.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my time with Destiny, but the game has got some serious issues. I don't think their monetization scheme is doing them any favors in that regard.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

That's not what I said tho. I don't want everything handed to me "on a silver platter" and neither am I against grind in loot orientated games. I've played my fair share of grindy games and I also understand that you need to give players something to work towards. My point was that the grind in D2 is not enjoyable due to the artificially stifled gear progression.

Other games (FFXIV, Diablo, PoE, etc..) manage the grind a lot better and make it a lot more enjoyable because you're allowed to progress at your own pace. Outside of daily/weekly activities you almost get no worthwhile loot at all. Doing regular activities should feel rewarding too, but as it stands there's really not point in doing that. Progression is way too restrictive and should be more linear, not arbitrarily crippled at certain level caps. It's not the grind itself that's bad, but the fact that the grind is not enjoyable in and of itself.

Maybe on consoles, but on PC it feels like the player base is dwindling. Public events are often abandoned. PvP matchmaking takes far too long, often throws you into matches versus 4 stacks and most of the time you're pitted against the same people over and over again. Doesn't really give the impression that the PvP community on PC is that healthy.
There is way too much competition in the PC arena for pvp shooters. You have the old guard of Counter-Strike and team fortress 2. Then you have Rainbow Six Siege, Overwatch, Pubg, Fortnite, Call of Duty, Battlefield titles. Then you have smaller studios that have popular games like ring of Elysium

Last edited:
Only 12% of Destiny players were 600 going into Black Armory... this blows my mind.

I'm not a top 1-percent-er... but still...

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm glad I stayed strong and didn't get Foresaken.

I'm glad the hardcore fans are liking the return to it being super grindy (and reviews say this new content is even more grindy), it's just not for me as that stuff put me off the first game. I preferred Destiny 2 through the first two expansions as it was a lot of fun just playing through the content, doing some of the optional stuff and moving on (still put like 80 hours in). I've never been one to want to dump 100s of hours into one game, so the slower grind, RNG on weapon/gear stats etc. just isn't my cup of tea.

Smart move on their part as service games need to appeal to those people that mostly just play one game and are willing to spend money on it and keep buying expansions and season passes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad I stayed strong and didn't get Foresaken.

I'm glad the hardcore fans are liking the return to it being super grindy (and reviews say this new content is even more grindy), it's just not for me as that stuff put me off the first game. I preferred Destiny 2 through the first two expansions as it was a lot of fun just playing through the content, doing some of the optional stuff and moving on (still put like 80 hours in). I've never been one to want to dump 100s of hours into one game, so the slower grind, RNG on weapon/gear stats etc. just isn't my cup of tea.

Smart move on their part as service games need to appeal to those people that mostly just play one game and are willing to spend money on it and keep buying expansions and season passes.

Ooh... But Forsaken is so good.

I get not liking the grind, and I'm not a Destiny Super-Defender™ but Forsaken is REALLY good.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Ooh... But Forsaken is so good.

I get not liking the grind, and I'm not a Destiny Super-Defender™ but Forsaken is REALLY good.

I hear that. Is it worth just playing through the story missions and nothing else? I can't image it is for the $40, but maybe down the road when it's deeply discounted?

None of my D1 friends got D2 and I hate playing with randoms/forum folk so I'm really only interested in stuff I can solo. And really just the story stuff as I realized it was a huge waste of time going after weapons, trying to hit max power level etc. when I never once did a raid or Nightfall in D2.

Yes. 12% got to max level between September whatever and December 5.

Probably due to the above for a lot of people. No point to do it if you aren't a player regularly doing nightfall and raids as you don't need to be near max level for the other content (or most of it--not sure what all Forsake and this added).

Last edited by a moderator:

sol_bad

Neither game is affected by micro transactions aside from skins. The destiny 2 mt outrage was a farce of a bitch parade. There’s literally no real gear. And 98% percent of it drops in game effortlessly.

eehh
I know in Destiny 2 the loot boxes affect customization, I care about customization, therefor it affects the game for me. It was a step backwards for customization as far as I understand it. Never should have been that way, they should have done it like D3 where you can buy paint/colours at a shop.

Is Destiny 1 affected in a similar manner or is it set up the same way as D3 where loot boxes/bosses have a pre-determined % change of getting a weapon/item?

VertigoOA

Banned
eehh
I know in Destiny 2 the loot boxes affect customization, I care about customization, therefor it affects the game for me. It was a step backwards for customization as far as I understand it. Never should have been that way, they should have done it like D3 where you can buy paint/colours at a shop.

Is Destiny 1 affected in a similar manner or is it set up the same way as D3 where loot boxes/bosses have a pre-determined % change of getting a weapon/item?

Loot boxes? No loot box in destiny drops weapons or anything important. Ever.

The “loot” boxes that come with free sparrows and shaders or ghosts? The ones where I can see like 3 dropped a day with casual play time? The ones that feature trash content that I’ve been scrapping for the past year?

How does it affect customization? Please enlighten me. Because the bubblegum shader you want cost in-game currency? You can reacquire with either shards or bright dust and you can get as many as you want without real world money Using mats and currency earned in game. And none of it is a grind .. and none of it is worth anything.

The grind in the game is the actual useful gear that does offer actual, meaningful and legitimate player customization. And they don’t want more money for that — they want 100 hrs of your life instead by chasing the right weapon rolls and rng

That customization argument is a stretch. I don’t even know what customization you speak of. Please enlighten me ... I wouldnt know

Micro transactions are the biggest non issue in destiny. It was always a faux bullshit driveby argument.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Yeah I mean the colouring of armour. When Destiny 2 first came out it was mention a lot that the materials for the colours were in the loot boxes and were one time use.
I know you don't have to spend real money o the loot boxes but the fact that the colour items are in them is just dumb. But if you are saying there is an easy way to get any colour you want whenever you want t, that changes things.

Yeah. The shader system continues to be an annoyance for me. It's this unnecessary layer of "complexity."

But yeah, it's easy to get the colors you want. Once you've found it once, you can just make more.

Destiny mtx shop is a really inoffensive implementation. It may even be too inoffensive lol.

The only motivation I could see to spend real money is if you're a whale who just has to have the "perfect" role on the seasonal mtx armor.

Ar¢tos

Doing the first wave gets you nothing... What's the point when you need to be 620 for the 2nd and 625 for the 3rd?
If only the enemies in the forge had a higher chance to drop prime engrams, but not even that. I haven't seen an exotic drop in 3 weeks. I even stopped playing for 4 days but no luck. This game is starting to bore me.

Arkage

Banned
That's nuts. Getting to 600 isn't all that hard. Is that number overall or just forsaken owners?

Well I think the problem doesn't come down to "hard" so much a "boring." It's not that I found getting to 600 hard in a difficulty sense, just in that it was too much of a time sink for content I really don't feel like replaying (especially for all three classes). Since you could do the raid at a much lower LL there was hardly an incentive to keep going unless you're chasing some completionist type things/titles.

I mean.... I'm glad they're doing a quick response/reaction to it. Lowering the cap by 5 allows a (slim) chance for level 600s to get right into the content and beat it. But unless you're running with a highly coordinated team (which won't happen via matchmaking in most cases) your chances are still incredibly low for being able to beat that 635 boss without grinding.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Well I think the problem doesn't come down to "hard" so much a "boring." It's not that I found getting to 600 hard in a difficulty sense, just in that it was too much of a time sink for content I really don't feel like replaying (especially for all three classes). Since you could do the raid at a much lower LL there was hardly an incentive to keep going unless you're chasing some completionist type things/titles.

I don't find the grind to be boring. I like loot games. I can grind the same thing over and over again in Grindframe for hours and not get bored. So maybe it just isn't your kind of game? Destiny isn't nearly as bad as Warframe for the grind. Petra bounties take about an hour of commitment every week per character. They are quick, easy and yield story progression bread crumbs. You'd have easily been 600 by now had you just done those weekly. Or done more than one run-through of the raid, like it sounds like you did. My desire to get a 1KV was enough to keep me in the raid weekly until I had it.

Arkage

Banned
I don't find the grind to be boring. I like loot games. I can grind the same thing over and over again in Grindframe for hours and not get bored. So maybe it just isn't your kind of game? Destiny isn't nearly as bad as Warframe for the grind. Petra bounties take about an hour of commitment every week per character. They are quick, easy and yield story progression bread crumbs. You'd have easily been 600 by now had you just done those weekly. Or done more than one run-through of the raid, like it sounds like you did. My desire to get a 1KV was enough to keep me in the raid weekly until I had it.

I did Petra stuff for about 3-4 weeks and the few dialogue changes weren't enough for me, though it is admittedly the most interesting thing to do for milestones

Last edited:

r3dzombie

Neo Member
people complained there was no grind in D2, now people are complaining that they need to grind. yup, checks out. I was at 600 going into BA, two milestones later im at 603 after about an hour its hardly even a grind

loki 16

people complained there was no grind in D2, now people are complaining that they need to grind.
Yep, people complained about D1 and we got D2. Then they complain again and we get forsaken. I personally think forsaken is in a good place it just needs some adjustments on the power scaling.

Neolombax

Last night I spent some time in the Dreaming City and got PL to about 562. I've got some ways to go but I dont mind. Stopped playing a while back to play some Assassins Creed Odyssey and some Dragon Quest. I'm comfortable grinding at my own pace. I still have exotics to chase, reverie dawn set to complete, pinnacle weapons to grind out for.

I much prefer this pace compared to vanilla D2. in Vanilla D2, I was max PL very early on, with almost every gear collected albeit the raid ones because I dont raid. Black Armory seems to add more to the grind, which in all honesty, I dont mind at all. If the grind starts to become slow burn, I'd probably jump to other games.

Dthomp

It’s been a rough week, and at the end of the day...I want more guns. Like this game desperately needs to add somewhere in the ballpark of at least 100 more guns. The loot pool is shallow and the perks for random rolls are lacking. They need like 15 more perks in the perk pool, and more guns. Honestly if over half the small new guns are just reskinned yr 1 guns let’s just bring batches of average to low top tier legendaries back from d1 and build a pool of guns so that the only loadiut that is any good can have something other then dust rock, Luna, coil.

VertigoOA

Banned
They’re buffing prime engrams and their boost for players on the 11th.

The raid looks amazing. Tanks, pvp like map arenas for all encounters. and a mech boss and use of sparrows the entire raid including boss encounters . Looks so good! Can’t wait to try it.

It opens up a bunch once you complete the first forge. I kinda love the forge run itself. It reminds me a lot of the prison of elders and that was arguably my favorite activity in d1. An arena, your skills, and whatever dps tactics you and your buddies got. Good stuff.

Last night I spent some time in the Dreaming City and got PL to about 562. I've got some ways to go but I dont mind. Stopped playing a while back to play some Assassins Creed Odyssey and some Dragon Quest. I'm comfortable grinding at my own pace. I still have exotics to chase, reverie dawn set to complete, pinnacle weapons to grind out for.

I much prefer this pace compared to vanilla D2. in Vanilla D2, I was max PL very early on, with almost every gear collected albeit the raid ones because I dont raid. Black Armory seems to add more to the grind, which in all honesty, I dont mind at all. If the grind starts to become slow burn, I'd probably jump to other games.

I kinda feel like this. Kinda... but there’s way too much stuff in d2 right now to chase or do. I don’t need all of it but it’s overwhelming and definitely prevents me from playing much else.. and buying much else too... so that’s a win?

People complain about destiny being expensive but it’s overall saved me money on my gaming habits big time.

Last edited:

BONDO

I know this isn't a major update like the previous ones but now having completed the forge a few times....it's definitely my least favorite new content.

Day one limited access to forge based on light level was a letdown but has since been corrected......but really, us daily players grinded through it anyway so the fix never helped us.
I enjoy a good Destiny grind but really, all this new stuff feels like fluff to simply kill our time. Unlocking the forges with all these filler quests is a joke. Not to mention how all of these weapons are acquired via forge/quests and not so much via drop/RNG. Don't get me started with armor.

Correct me if im wrong- but this week we cant even forge any weapons on Forge 1 - they are both for Izanami.
So if you don't get the Nessus drop in a timely manner and then grind the hell out of all the following quests....this week is a wash.
Dunno, Forsaken had me hooookkkeed again all through Black Armory and now I find my interest fading till the next update in the Spring.

Current light 632

I may jus hit 650 and call it a day till the next one and mostly skip the Armory. Next update will likely make it mostly useless anyway. That's how it generally goes outside of the Sleeper/Worm/Ikelos Shotty.

Last edited:

BONDO

And then they added this friggin' Dawning grind on top of it.

Geez. I love Bungie, but c'mon guys. :p

Man, im not even bothering with that one. If I have everything I need when the dawning is over....cool.
But I could care less about a novelty speeder that we will replace next update. lol

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
And then they added this friggin' Dawning grind on top of it.

Geez. I love Bungie, but c'mon guys. :p
I like it, the grind just overlays with what you are already using. Sloane has gotten about 90 cookies from me so far lol.

The speeder sucks though. The even is another way to level up a touch faster.

Got to 599 last night. Soon I can do a forge.

Last edited:
Top Bottom