• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 character creator is almost identitical to the Destiny's

hobozero

Yeah, the pose there is all WTF. The weapons aren't even aligned with the model's forearm, making it look like they don't know how to hold a weapon or like an action figure that had a toy weapon popped into their hand, regardless of how it fits.

destiny12characterjmu1g.jpg

Look at the alignment of the weapon model on the right.

This, specifically, is nitpicky when compared to the copy/paste editor job, but it's sort of an amateurish first impression.

I don't think it's nitpicky. The game had over 200 million in dev costs, and no one said "hey the gun is crooked - they look like a shitty action figure". This is some early access shit.

I gotta pay almost $100 CDN for just the base game - I hope some of this shit gets patched for PC release.

Doc_Drop

Well I should try copy my D1 characters into D2 characters and that could make I waste a lot of time :(

My chars design are definitive already... I like how they are in D1 and so D2.
Would you care to share your characters, it would be interesting to see which ones are coming through well and which ones aren't

Wulfram

Not changing the character creation much would have been defensible if it had allowed characters to import well. Overhauls of character creation pretty much inevitably make faithful imports impossible.

But if the imports don't work well too, then that's pretty bad.

Gator86

Also, this is what my Destiny 1 character ended up looking like in Destiny 2 (Destiny 1 on left, Destiny 2 on right):

destiny12characterjmu1g.jpg

Yup. Exactly what happened to me. I liked how my character looked in D1 and she didn't convert right at all.

Astounding how they put literally no effort into this at all.

_woLf

My human females hairstyle got changed. Now the back is so short that it shows skin. Bums me out so much because I loved that style in D1.

The least they could do is provide a service to change your appearance since it means nothing in game.

Alo0oy

Banned
I wanted to make a brown character and it looks like a tanned white person. It's quite obvious that only white people worked on their character creator.

shoreu

You know I expected to be able to customize my created character before I got started. My human hunter looks terrible now and there seems to be no way to fix him at the moment

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's honestly a bit odd that they didn't vastly improve the quality of the player character models over Destiny 1, considering they were made to run on the friggin' PS360.

Yeah what's up with that? Is it a bug? Characters didn't look like that in D1's menu.
Given that Kotaku reported them as rebooting the game early last year, I would guess that they decided to cut a variety of corners to ship on time and get their bonuses.

ethomaz

Banned
Ah fair play, I wasn't sure how easy it would be to do. Don't put yourself out or anything
I tried to find into the app but Bungie removed the 3D chars.

It is holiday here today so I'm doing an one day vacation to beach... I'm talking more in GAF because I'm inside the bus yet :D

hobozero

Can anyone tell me the advantage to carrying my old character over? At this point I feel like I should just make an Exo from scratch.

Gator86

Given that Kotaku reported them as rebooting the game early last year, I would guess that they decided to cut a variety of corners to ship on time and get their bonuses.

Cut corners on your product, get a bonus. It's good the incentives lined up for everyone's benefit here.

NastyBook

Both my female Titan and Hunter got beat up on the way over. My EXO Lock is fine, but he just looks so pedestrian now. Will more than likely scrap all three this weekend and start over. Will transfer all of my Y1 stuff over to my new main character once she's ready.

Kent

So is this primarily an issue for human characters, then?

My awoken Titan looks about how I remember her. It seems like exos are pretty much the same.

My human Warlock went from looking like an Average Joe to being ready to go watch Rocky Horror.

Edit: Pictures:

Destiny 1:
zRctLEG.jpg

Destiny 2:
uK4Z9wG.jpg

ethomaz

Banned
Hasn't been my impression actually looking at the game. I'm sure Bungie said as much, but they also made some ridiculous claims about how big the first game was.
Well I see way more ransoms in the world than before... yesterday we beat a public event with over 10 randoms together with our 3 fireteam.

I don't remember getting that many players together in D1.

Kurumi

So is this primarily an issue for human characters, then?

My awoken Titan looks about how I remember her. It seems like exos are pretty much the same.

My human Warlock went from looking like an Average Joe to being ready to go watch Rocky Horror.

Yea my Awoken females from D1 looked fine. My Human female on the other hand....jesus idk what happened.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

Wasn't this the excuse for the shenanigans in D1? They had to redo a bunch of stuff shortly before launch?

Having the same mistakes happen for both games doesn't inspire confidence that they can learn from their mistakes, nevermind the financial incentive from Activision to not give a shit and paper over the cracks, again.

jett

D-Member

I think it's the bare minimum graphical upgrade that makes me people look at D2 and say "expansion pack" (among other things), made more egregious by the fact that D1 was a crossgen game.

Well I see way more ransoms in the world than before... yesterday we beat a public event with over 10 randoms together with our 3 fireteam.

I don't remember getting that many players together in D1.

I didn't say anything about players. That was all you

Human females even in D1 always got borked by shitty lighting, which was basically everywhere except cutscenes or if your character looked directly into the sun so there was no shadows.

So nothing has changed.

Kremzeek

This is why I created an Exo. Not a fan of the faces or the hair options in Awoken and Human forms.

Yeah that's what I ended up doing.

I just went thru the character creator last night and was shocked/ disappointed it seemed like they added almost no new options from D1.

How can they justify this with a fully numbered & priced sequel?

ZeoVGM

Banned
There's also a bit of a lighting problem on some characters.

I have a female Awoken for my Hunter and she looks like she has a mustache at the farm. The lighting always leaves a mark on her upper lip.

I think it's the bare minimum graphical upgrade that makes me people look at D2 and say "expansion pack" (among other things), made more egregious by the fact that D1 was a crossgen game.

Playing the campagin makes the graphical upgrade noticeable. You'd be crazy to think it's a "bare minimum" upgrade.

Gator86

There's also a bit of a lighting problem on some characters.

I have a female Awoken for my Hunter and she looks like she has a mustache at the farm. The lighting always leaves a mark on her upper lip.

Playing the campagin makes the graphical upgrade noticeable. You'd be crazy to think it's a "bare minimum" upgrade.

I would trade all the graphics for a FOV this isn't a pinhole. The more I play, the more I hate it.

Mind you, I'm a huge Destiny fan, and while I've never defend the first game's launch, by the time TTK came out, things did improve quite a bit, and I had a lot of fun...

...but I've been wondering just how much of D2 is really just content or parts of the game that were supposed to be the original D1. I know people are tired of hearing that, but they aren't really doing themselves any favors with this kind of thing.

I dunno. I feel like if they were going to re-use a lot of old assets, and gut basic systems to shill their micro-transactions, that maybe we should've gotten more than what we're getting? This doesn't feel like a sequel to a big budget AAA game.

Gator86

You're right they just copied over all the old code, didn't bother taking a look and called it a day.

Literally.

I guess they deserve more credit for doing a bad job porting over a character creator that wasn't impressive in any way when D1 launched in 2014.

Aranjah

Can anyone tell me the advantage to carrying my old character over? At this point I feel like I should just make an Exo from scratch.

Not sure if this counts as a spoiler, but just in case:
Some emblems and a rewatchable "memorial" cutscene representing things you accomplished in D1, and a small amount of the flavor dialogue is different in the intro as the NPCs "recognize" you from your earlier exploits.

I haven't tested this myself, but I'd guess the closest you could get to "best of both worlds" (assuming they're account-wide, not character-specific, and assuming you don't care about
never being able to see the memorial cutscene again
) would be to start as your old character to unlock the veteran rewards, optionally play through to the farm to verify at the kiosk that you got them, and then delete and remake your character to get the appearance you want, and play for real.

hobozero

Not sure if this counts as a spoiler, but just in case:
Some emblems and a rewatchable "memorial" cutscene representing things you accomplished in D1, and a small amount of the flavor dialogue is different in the intro as the NPCs "recognize" you from your earlier exploits.

I haven't tested this myself, but I'd guess the closest you could get to "best of both worlds" (assuming they're account-wide, not character-specific, and assuming you don't care about
never being able to see the memorial cutscene again
) would be to start as your old character to unlock the veteran rewards, optionally play through to the farm to verify at the kiosk that you got them, and then delete and remake your character to get the appearance you want, and play for real.

Sounds like a plan :) Thanks for the info!

Sephzilla

My EXO character transferred over mostly fine. Guess I'm lucky.

It does seem like they put the most minimal effort possible into this though, I was surprised I didn't even get a chance to modify my character at all.

Ramirez

Turned my helmet to always on back when they introduced it in D1. You see your character in like 5 cutscenes, can't say I'm surprised they didn't put resources into it.

ethomaz

Banned
I didn't say anything about players. That was all you
I don't know what are you talking about :(

Both number of players per session and the open area are bigger than D1... the open areas are even more open with more paths to explore.

It is way less corridor way of D1.

It is pretty big graphical improvements.

PS4 D1 to PS4 D2.

A lot of time we need to stop just to enjoy the beautiful graphics... that didn't happens with D1.

Fury451

Banned
Would you argue that Splatoon 2 is an expansion despite people vouching that it was a sequel? Cuz we've had this same argument before with that game.

I don't know, I haven't really played that series enough to comment, but maybe? I think this is more of the semantics issue of what the word sequel means to people. I can't really define why a something might feel like a sequel for some games, but more of an expansion for others.

Destiny as a concept was something that it made sense to keep adding more to in my mind, and they did that, making it better. Having a full-fledged second game that's basically a continuation of the original concept just doesn't seem like it feels different enough I guess, even if it's an improvement in most ways.

This seems like a "year 3 revamp" so far, but that's fine by me because I'm liking it more.

Number45

Deleted one of my imported characters last night so that I could see the new creator. Pretty disappointed it's not much more advanced than the first game... I just ended up creating the same character again with different hair and eye colours.

EDIT: Also I'll add that my female awoken looks just fine after the transition.

Really hope they fix this shit.

Expected to have at least a couple of new hair styles and other options.

But thats not the big problem more that the D2 characters look worse than in D1 like wtf.

It's disappointing for sure, but since the vast majority of players will probably import their old characters, a lot of people probably will never see nor use it. So unless you have something really outstanding that you can deliver, it wouldn't be my top priority either when I develop a sequel.

I would think the opposite. The character creator in 1 was so limited that I would always see exact copies of my character. I personally would want to create a new character with a better creator

jett

D-Member

Lol...no, just no. It is a pretty big graphical upgrade.

Based on the footage I've seen and the PC beta that I played, it doesn't really seem like a major improvement to me. And character models are certainly in the small ballpark, which is more pertinent to this thread.
It is pretty big graphical improvements.

PS4 D1 to PS4 D2.

A lot of time we need to stop just to enjoy the beautiful graphics... that didn't happens with D1.

I disagree, I remember people being amazed by how good the moon looked.

hobozero

Really hope they fix this shit.

Expected to have at least a couple of new hair styles and other options.

But thats not the big problem more that the D2 characters look worse than in D1 like wtf.

I would bet real money you will see a barber shop of some kind added in future, with either paid cuts or styles in loot boxes.

Top Bottom