• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 character creator is almost identitical to the Destiny's

Yohane

Also, this is what my Destiny 1 character ended up looking like in Destiny 2 (Destiny 1 on left, Destiny 2 on right):

destiny12characterjmu1g.jpg

Wow that's horrible.

xuchu

What's even worse is that my female awoken warlock looks completely different to how she was in D1. Ugh, at least give us the option to edit our appearance, hairstyle and sex-change. It's not a complex (it's pretty much barebones even) character creator so shouldn't be a programming problem for some reason. They've even left PS360 behind.

Drencrom

The char creator was absolutely lackluster and awful in D1 in the first place and lots of people criticized it, I really can't believe that Bungie didn't improve it in D2.

All D1 chars even seemingly look worse now... just how?

jbortz78

Yup was really disappointed when I started the game. Glad I did it use my character from D1, and instead created an Exo.

cripterion

I've been waiting to hear about CC for a while, guess that's why we didn't have news about it.

There's a lot of disappointing things in there for such an big anticipated sequel. Seeing "It's Destiny without the bullshit" comments from reviewers can only make me roll my eyes.
I know there are qol improvements but aren't these expected in a sequel?

EDIT : Wow I saw the CC video... Talk about not giving a damn!

Yeah that's really unfortunate. You'd think if there was any advantage to essentially keeping the same character creator for D1 and D2, it would be making the import character process seamless. Clearly that isn't the case, and whatever (seemingly small) changes were made in D2 had a significant impact on the Guardian's appearance...for the worse.

All examples I've seen have been for human female characters, so I'm not sure if this is a particular bug specifically affecting them or all the race/gender combinations.

My female Awoken came out fine.

HvHejCU.jpg

I think her lips are a little bigger but otherwise she looks almost exactly the same as her D1 appearance. Most of the bad examples I've seen are from female humans.

DeaDPo0L84

More I hear about Destiny 2 the less im interested in it, might end up giving it a pass when it finally comes to PC October is packed enough anyway.

Are you only paying attention to the trivial things a select few people are upset about? Cause there is a ton of positive feedback concerning the game that you seem to be ignoring. Shaders and character creation tools are really the only things that have a leg to stand on when it comes to issues and they ultimately have zero impact on the game itself. Everything else is pretty top notch.

Lucifon

The customisation in the first was terrible, and it's still terrible. Damn shame considering it's a numbered sequel. I'm having a blast with a lot of the game, they've really improved some core areas. But things like this are just frustratingly disappointing. Probably a matter of priorities given the fairly short turnaround after I imagine a lot of the team had to try fix the mess that was the first game.

I also hate the whole 'Sci fi futuristic females can only possibly have short hair' approach the game takes (and many other games have taken).

Defuser

This is WWE levels of game models gone wrong.
I was in shock too when I saw my D1 characters look like utter crap in D2, at least they have the option to hide with helmets.

FHIZ

Made note of this in the OT, but the way light reflects and cast shadows on faces in this game makes characters look super weird. I'm opting to keep my helmet on at all times now.

Also... why don't more games just allow you to edit your character freely after you start? I ended up just wiping my Destiny 1 warlock because I thought they looked like shit when I saw them in the first cutscene.

Made note of this in the OT, but the way light reflects and cast shadows on faces in this game makes characters look super weird. I'm opting to keep my helmet on at all times now.

Also... why don't more games just allow you to edit your character freely after you start? I ended up just wiping my Destiny 1 warlock because I thought they looked like shit when I saw them in the first cutscene.

Yup, I did the same.
However I had to retry twice because the creator is so far off from the actual look.

Flipyap

I also hate the whole 'Sci fi futuristic females can only possibly have short hair' approach the game takes (and many other games have taken).
I think it's more of a "characters in a video game without hair physics but with clipping-prone unpredictable clothing options can only possibly have short hair because it would make the game look even worse" approach.

Fliesen

On the one hand, i guess it's a "service" to those who want to keep their Destiny 1 characters along, as to not cause the dilemma between having to choose between, say, cool new hairstyles / beards OR sticking with the character you've been raiding with.

On the other hand, this could be fixed by adding a barber / surgeon to the game :p

With regards to the female titans looking rather goofy.
I'm assuming they added a more pronounced posture as to make Titans more easily spottable in Multiplayer?

The character on the left has neat plate armor, sure, but a Titan is meant to be kind of a tank / knight - hence the wider stance and the broader shoulders.

The faces do look rather iffy, though :/

My main character is a bald awoken lady, so i guess i dodged the bullet there :p

Scrawnton

The character faces for human females are flat out garbage compared to original destiny. My transferred character looks ridiculous. I now leave my helmet on when at the Farm.

SlickVic

My female Awoken came out fine.

HvHejCU.jpg

I think her lips are a little bigger but otherwise she looks almost exactly the same as her D1 appearance. Most of the bad examples I've seen are from female humans.

Got an Awoken Guardian as well so maybe there's some hope for me. Hope they can fix this.

KodaRuss

My imported character looks like hell in Destiny 2 also. Can I go back and change it now without deleting the entire chracter?

Female Human here as well.

xuchu

The thing is they can clearly do human female faces properly in that Ikora, Hawktorne and Amanda Holliday look quite good but our characters end up not only looking goofy but different to how they look in the character creation screen. Ugh, still can't even rotate them on the character creation to get an idea of what the hairstyle looks like. Helmet gonna be on for next 3 years it seems.

i-Lo

Maybe they'll add in a micro transaction system for improved character creator & renderer because those imported from D1 look utterly pitiful.

The thing is they can clearly do human female faces properly in that Ikora, Hawktorne and Amanda Holliday look quite good but our characters end up not only looking goofy but different to how they look in the character creation screen. Ugh, still can't even rotate them on the character creation to get an idea of what the hairstyle looks like. Helmet gonna be on for next 3 years it seems.

I loved the way my character looked in 1... but 2 messed it up.

Yeah, I also strongly dislike how awful the characters look when I actually get in-game, too. They look relatively great in the character creator, but then they get into the actual in-game lighting engine and they suddenly devolve into super buggy-eyed, cheek-prominent weirdos.

I've rerolled characters right back to Exo in the past because of this. Straight up noped out of making humanoid characters because they end up looking vastly different than what the character creator seems to suggest.

ViciousDS

Banned
I just wanted the fucking queens hair for my awoken......every time I got to the reef I was like "bitch, that's my hair that I want"

That's all I wanted Bungie!!!!

just the character creation ? lol it's a 1:1 on everything

Some people just don't even try to shit anymore

ZanDatsu

The fact we are fighting the exact same enemies (with the same behaviors) from Destiny 1 is much more of a downer for me. I know it's the same universe and directly after the first one ended, but it just takes a lot away from making it feel like a new game.

Murman

Holy...

My D1 character looked identical to yours. Same face, same hair style, same hair colour. I've decided to pick up the PC version of D2 if public opinion of the game is still strong by the time it releases there, and up until now I've been sad about not continuing with my female guardian from PS4. But seeing this... I think perishing in the fires of the tower attack is probably more merciful for her. I'll create an Exo for D2, which should be future proof.

Probably the funniest thing i've read in any Destiny 2 thread lol.

I played a male Exo titan in D1, but after seeing how he looked in first cutscene in D2, I immediately quit and remade a new character from scratch.

I dunno what happened with the character modelling. Some of the presets just look awful compared to D1.

Pepboy

Some people just don't even try to shit anymore

Yeah I agree, the developers and designers didn't put much effort into making destiny 2 feel new. You think they would try a bit harder for such a large franchise.

Edit: though they were probably hampered by the poor design decisions of the past that led to terrible dev tools (last I heard these were still problematic?)

SkylineRKR

The CC is awful. I played this straight after Everybody's Golf and that CC trounces this shit.

Its unbelievable that its a 1:1 copy of D1. A 3 year old cross-gen game.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Yea I deleted all three of my imported characters, they all look similar but off, maybe a lighting change? But they didn't look right at all, worse so when I got to the farm and the lighting made their skulls look even weirder. The creator being the same though with nothing added is a bit of a joke, your characters look it's such a big thing in so many games that I'm surprised they did nothing here.

It feels like a similar change that happened from Mass Effect 2 -> 3, they managed to make characters that looked perfectly fine for 2 games into these off-human looking things.

Styles

I've read nothing but bad things about the sequel around these parts.

I guess taking a wait and see approach this time around. was the best move that I could've made.

Top Bottom