• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 - European Dead Zone (EDZ) gameplay

Monocle

And so was Destiny.

But you have a history of shitting on the game, it seems.
********* With expansions. Crucial detail there.

Vanilla Destiny was a really well playing husk of a game. You gotta get House of Wolves and especially The Taken King to tap into the good stuff.

ViciousDS

Banned
There's a map that flashes briefly it seems to be a zoomed in area of the EDZ.

In that zoomed in area there are 6 adventures and 12(!) lost sectors.

HOLY CRAP
00000132.png

good shit......I love stuff like this, even if it is marked. The adventure stuff I'm excited too, maybe this is where they will tell the backstory of the planet, how things got to the way they were and more.

So fucking excited

You guys are crazy with the "i hope there's a grind" talk. Spending thousands of hours on a game grinding for stuff (which I have on Destiny) is not something I want to repeat so easily. The game should be more accessible for everyone, not just for the hardcore.

Sidenote, so glad they got rid of random perks on guns. Grinding for good rolls on guns was the absolute worst.

Trace

Banned
You guys are crazy with the "i hope there's a grind" talk. Spending thousands of hours on a game grinding for stuff (which I have on Destiny) is not something I want to repeat so easily. The game should be more accessible for everyone, not just for the hardcore.

Sidenote, so glad they got rid of random perks on guns. Grinding for good rolls on guns was the absolute worst.

I think they're phrasing it wrong. More like "I hope there's enough content to feel fulfilling playing it for even half the time I spent on Destiny 1".

Again, Destiny has not been a grind fest for a very long time. So if you're disappointed in that and you think it will impact your playtime, you must not have liked the game since pre-Taken King.

Forcing a grind to prolong the length of the game is bad game design. Bungie understood that and changed it. Destiny is not meant to be a game you play every single day of your life, though many of us still do simply because we love it. But that doesn't mean it should be a terrible grind.

You're still going to need to play Raids and Strikes multiple times to get everything. But if the past 2+ years of Destiny is a sign, you won't need to do that to hit max light.

And that's a good thing.

The goal should be to complete the campaign, reach max light and then use that power to tackle end game activities such as the new Raid. Grinding the Raid shouldn't be needed to reach max light.

Also, based on what Bungie has said, we'll be getting more frequent content updates.
I respect what you are saying but couldn't disagree more. That grind is what kept me playing Destiny every day. But it wasn't the grind for levels or light but for gear. I stopped playing once destiny became about the best rolls rather than the gun itself.

So I want the grind but not for numbers. I want loot.

Van Bur3n

Looks like a lot of content in a lot more cooler areas to navigate and fight through. Perhaps I will get this, perhaps not.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I respect what you are saying but couldn't disagree more. That grind is what kept me playing Destiny every day. But it wasn't the grind for levels or light but for gear. I stopped playing once destiny became about the best rolls rather than the gun itself.

So I want the grind but not for numbers. I want loot.

When most people talk about the grind in Destiny, they're referring to reaching max light.

The "grind" to get cool gear and weapons isn't going away.

katsais

That sure is Destiny. Reminds me of Destiny 1...except for the new music, sound effects, refreshed weapons and new subclasses. I guess that's good, at least for PvE. I'm skipping PvP 100% this time around.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Thanks for the clarification! Just curious, since this post was made a loooong time ago, do you keep a bookmark on those thing?

Nah, it just popped into my head when I read your post. I couldn't remember what thread it was posted in, but it was easy to track down thanks to "NDAs" being a rare keyword as far as EviLore's posts are concerned (two results).

Looks like more destiny which is fine by me.

I did notice the ships just magically warp in on the public events . I much prefer d1 version where they would fly in and unload .

BLCKATK

Very excited about this footage.

A few bits of speculation that I've gleamed from the footage:

- Each planet having it's own reputation sort of makes it so every planet has it's own loot table. You can go to the EDZ and do activities there to get gear from that loot table and so on, so I think you'll definitely see people grouping for the Flashpoint, but also just to farm activities on a set planet if the gear is highly sought out.

- Tons of Lost Sectors on the map, hopefully they all have something interesting going on.

- Vehicles galore. I really hope the controls for the Pike and the Interceptor are a bit tighter, because I love the idea of having them around so they can participate in the open world battles.

- High Value Targets are integrated more seamlessly into the encounters, which is cool. They are definitely the definition of mini-boss, they don't really seem to have much going on, but I love the idea of them meshing with the content and making it more interesting and more rewarding.

- Adventures really seem like the old story missions and DLC missions from Destiny 1. You're going around scanning things, fighting waves of enemies. If that's the case, what can we expect from the Campaign? I'm hoping it's on another level higher than that, and the Adventures are kind of the replayable story element. Also the adventures granted an "Upgrade Point", I wonder what those are used for!

- This is also without seeing the additional stuff when the destination is the Flashpoint for the week, and Cayde's treasure maps in play as well.

I'm really looking forward to this part of Destiny. It looks like it's actually made a step forward and actually evolved. I hope they follow through with that.

glaurung

- Adventures really seem like the old story missions and DLC missions from Destiny 1. You're going around scanning things, fighting waves of enemies. If that's the case, what can we expect from the Campaign? I'm hoping it's on another level higher than that, and the Adventures are kind of the replayable story element. Also the adventures granted an "Upgrade Point", I wonder what those are used for!
I'm like 75% sure that Upgrade Points are used for unlocking subclass perks.

BLCKATK

I'm like 75% sure that Upgrade Points are used for unlocking subclass perks.

If that's the case, in my opinion that is way better than Destiny 1's exp system for unlocking the nodes. Took forever, delayed you from getting the perks you want and getting into the action more.

This is way more direct. If I want the Shield Bash perk for my Sentinel, I should be able to get right in there.

glaurung

If that's the case, in my opinion that is way better than Destiny 1's exp system for unlocking the nodes. Took forever, delayed you from getting the perks you want and getting into the action more.

This is way more direct. If I want the Shield Bash perk for my Sentinel, I should be able to get right in there.
Like I said, I'm not a hundred percent sure. But it's the most reasonable explanation so far. I have no idea if perk unlocks have to happen in a succession or whether you can pick and choose from all of them. The beta build showcased that PvE and PvP "groupings" are separate, so you might be able to prioritize whichever you want at first.

Don't quote me on any of that. The game is less than two weeks away (nnnnnggh), we'll see soon enough. Or some more preview videos will pop up, showing the character menu and subclass leveling.

Tovarisc

I don't, I hope drop rate is decent.

Obtaining exotics in Destiny 1 was already too easy and boring grind, why to make it any harder and more interesting? I hoped they would tie all exotics to some quest (lines) and bigger events, something they talked about few times back in during D1 days.

Tei

Neo Member
With Bungie the problem always lies with what is not announced. The game will come with systems to artificially extend the life of the game by slowing down players. And we will hate these parts. We love the grind, but we hate when we feel we are forced to walk when we want to run.

Nodnol

Do we know where this has leaked from? The PSN ID's don't suggest a test environment...

Review copy? External tester? You'd imagine both of those would be watermarked somehow.

I know some are speculating it's footage that will drop soon from Bungie themselves.

glaurung

Do we know where this has leaked from? The PSN ID's don't suggest a test environment...

Review copy? External tester? You'd imagine both of those would be watermarked somehow.

I know some are speculating it's footage that will drop soon from Bungie themselves.
Press preview build. The video is from a Polish (?) site that accidentally (or not?) put it up too early. Previews are now trickling in, expect many more videos in the coming days.

Bold One

I refused to watch any of the mirrors, Bold is going in blind here on out and can't bloody wait.

I put D1 down a week ago, despite only finishing 3/4 raids and never having done trials. In the mean time, other games such as Warframe and Doom have been great void-filllers, but Destiny 2 is the main event and it will be big.

Leyasu

Banned
I badly want to buy this, but the way that xbox owners got fucked with Destiny and the exclusive content (some only coming after d2 launches), is sticking in my throat.

I'm starting to crack.

panda-zebra

I badly want to buy this, but the way that xbox owners got fucked with Destiny and the exclusive content (some only coming after d2 launches), is sticking in my throat.

I'm starting to crack.

With the amount of content D2 looks to have, that little bit of exclusive stuff means so much less this time around. In a content-starved game it seemed like a huge loss, but hopefully it won't feel anything like the same kind of unfair situation this go.

robo

Got the physical limited edition on order and will get the standard on digital.

Nipper wants the box to go with his year 1 one.

Pve is looking a lot more interesting, see if i can get hyped again.

Now lets see if bungie can cock it up in the last 2 weeks.

Top Bottom