• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Expansions Leaving Gamepass for Console and Cloud

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
There has never been a better time to save on Destiny 2. With Beyond Light, Shadowkeep, and Forsaken, leaving Xbox Game Pass for console and cloud* on December 8th, take advantage of this Black Friday sale for uninterrupted access to the Destiny 2 universe. This sale ends December 2nd.

*Beyond Light, Shadowkeep, and Forsaken will remain on Xbox Game Pass for PC.

This was in a Black Friday sale email from bungie.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Also made it clear new expansion won’t be on gamepass. Just going to buy non ms games if it’s a game I’ll be playing for more then a few weeks.

Bugger! Game pass is what drew me back into Destiny 2 for the last season. I always knew in the back of my mind that it would get pulled from GP.

I’ve not touched the most recent season. The plot and game mode didn’t pull me in like the previous season, however I’m keen to see where the story goes with the next expansion pack.

Have some thinking to do in the coming days! Black Friday deals add to the pressure of deciding soon.

Last edited:

Jennings

With Halo 6 on the horizon I don't much need Destiny 2 anyway. Not a loss for me, but I feel bad for those Gamepass users who can't otherwise afford to buy their video games.

Last edited:
idk why i even still play Destiny. for Destiny 1 it was such a new experience. And i luvd the Crucible.

Crucible in Destiny 2 is just so stagnant. There is never anything to get excited about outside of some reskinned weapon that will probably not even be as good as a weapon u got 3 years ago. Instead of adding new maps, they just take them away

STARSBarry

Gold Member
idk why i even still play Destiny. for Destiny 1 it was such a new experience. And i luvd the Crucible.

Crucible in Destiny 2 is just so stagnant. There is never anything to get excited about outside of some reskinned weapon that will probably not even be as good as a weapon u got 3 years ago. Instead of adding new maps, they just take them away

This is largely due to what people call "balance". See the issues with competative online games are the longer they go on the more boring they become, not because people are just bored of them, but because they become balanced.

This might sound counter intuitive but a majority of players don't want a balanced experience, only the sweatlords and pro's do. And like those in the upper ranks every season they are incredibly rare. So weapons are nerfed and buffed to fit into what these elite pro's feel the game should be, a rule for all brought to you by the few. Eventually as weapons all become side grades, any meaningful differences between weapons are lost, sacrificed to the alter of balance in its infinite quest to appease the pro's.

You have probably just hit your limit, sadly there's no chance of returning, will have to wait got the sequel before they break the sandbox again.

Last edited:

Banned
I mean they will be deleting the content sooner or later anyway right?
Pop Tv Burn GIF by Schitt's Creek

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Also made it clear new expansion won’t be on gamepass. Just going to buy non ms games if it’s a game I’ll be playing for more then a few weeks.

Honestly its best to just treat Game Pass as a short term rental/demo service. Then support the devs if you enjoyed it by buying it New when possible (if physical).

Elginer

Destiny is a cluster Clark imo. They got greedy as fuck. Shame as the gameplay is fun but destiny ones mp is still better.

TheRobot

Destiny is a cluster Clark imo. They got greedy as fuck. Shame as the gameplay is fun but destiny ones mp is still better.
It is fun when u have good versatile content, but with destiny they just keep nerfing weapons people spent countless hours playing raids to get so end game is meaningless at this point, Forza and Halo couldn't have come at a better time tbh, I'll play the witch queen when it's on sale or gamepass.

T-Cake

Does anyone still play Destiny 1, I wonder? I was thinking of trying it out but I need to get PS+ first.

Shubh_C63

If you live and breathe D2, it's a bad game. But in terms of how casual it is, the games is still good for random play sessions with friends.

WQ won't be any better though no matter what they promise. Campaign will be 5 hours long and with a new mode with new difficulty. Then the usual treadmill. But the particle affects, graphics, music and gameplay IS still unparalleled.

Balance is basically flavor of the month gun because they want you to play with only few set pieces they consider.

SkylineRKR

Destiny 2 is awful, especially if you jump in from a long hiatus again. Its a maze of content, probably mostly repetitive objectives.

D1, its pretty funny but I think its the best one once I accepted it wasn't a true space travel FP RPG. Loved the Crucible in it, despite some guns being OP. Liked the original Raid, yeah the loot drops were infuriating but I did manage to collect all exotic weapons within the first 6 months or so (except necrochasm I think, I never shot for it). I did buy HoW on sale and the Crucible was in a good place then, as well as shotgun, good times with 4th Horseman etc in PvE. After that I quit. D2 I found bad from the outset (crucible was about ranged team shooting now) gave it up after a month or so, then tried it about a year ago. There is almost no way to get into it if you start now.

Zok310

Banned
Make sense, the current seasonal pitch would make it unnecessary to have the game in a sub based service.

Halo is coming Dec 8th I feel Destiny 2 would have been on the back foot on Gamepass come then. It was a great deal but was obviously just a short term deal, surely you must have known this?

Bungie have lost pretty much every meaningful team member apart from Jason Jones, it's a shame as I feel they would be formidable under Microsofts current leadership.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Halo is coming Dec 8th I feel Destiny 2 would have been on the back foot on Gamepass come then. It was a great deal but was obviously just a short term deal, surely you must have known this?

Not really, I mean the content of Beyond light and stuff doesn’t matter any more with the new expasion hitting but losing all the sub class shit would suck and having to buy old shit this late into the game life cyle (just to have it be removed next year again the way things are going) blows as well.

Guess destiny is its own thing on gamepass, even if you don’t need the content because no one will be playing it, you still need it for sub class stuff.

I’m off of Xbox anyways and on PC, already had it all purchased there so all good. Was hoping Destiny would just be on gamepass going forward (30th thing adding Halo gear was a good sign) but guess not ment to be. Gives me a reason not to move over to MS store version of the game as well. Since they like vaulting paid shit, felt better “renting” it.

Last edited:

ByWatterson

I asked myself that for literally years. Finally, finally dropped around April.

I recommend it.

Valt7786

Crucible was probably the worst thing to happen to Destiny. Stops the weapons being fun in PvE 'cause "MUH BALANCE" in the shitty tacked on PVP that only the sweatlord tryhard hunter players want to do to make themselves feel valid for playing hunter.

Crucible was probably the worst thing to happen to Destiny. Stops the weapons being fun in PvE 'cause "MUH BALANCE" in the shitty tacked on PVP that only the sweatlord tryhard hunter players want to do to make themselves feel valid for playing hunter.
well in D2....PVE is obviously the focus. But ur forgetting this is Bungie. who created Halo multiplayer, which is one of the most popular online shooters of the last 2 decades.

I would say in Destiny 1, PVP was the focus, and PVE was the tacked on part. Thats why i play this franchise. Because PVP in D1 was so good, i was willing to ignore the complete lack of a campaign in the first game. PVP was why anyone stuck around for a long time. Then eventually the DLCS and raids came, and they built up the PVE.

sainraja

Not really, I mean the content of Beyond light and stuff doesn’t matter any more with the new expasion hitting but losing all the sub class shit would suck and having to buy old shit this late into the game life cyle (just to have it be removed next year again the way things are going) blows as well.

Guess destiny is its own thing on gamepass, even if you don’t need the content because no one will be playing it, you still need it for sub class stuff.

I’m off of Xbox anyways and on PC, already had it all purchased there so all good. Was hoping Destiny would just be on gamepass going forward (30th thing adding Halo gear was a good sign) but guess not ment to be. Gives me a reason not to move over to MS store version of the game as well. Since they like vaulting paid shit, felt better “renting” it.
We all know content comes and goes from Game Pass so it was going to happen at some point.

sainraja

The expansions are leaving because they are being vaulted. Which means nobody will be able to play them.
Not all the expansions. Beyond Light was the last expansion and I believe it is going away too. They also haven't announced The Witch Queen expansion coming to Game Pass — unless they are holding the announcement for later — but then it doesn't make sense to remove Beyond Light at-least; since the stasis power is linked to it. Anyway the point was, content does eventually leave Game Pass — I thought most people understood this.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Not all the expansions. Beyond Light was the last expansion and I believe it is going away too. They also haven't announced The Witch Queen expansion coming to Game Pass — unless they are holding the announcement for later — but then it doesn't make sense to remove Beyond Light at-least; since the stasis power is linked to it.
Forsaken is to be vaulted and it's been hinted that Shadowkeep is next in the near future. Witch Queen will most likely not be coming to GamePass.

The removal of these from GamePass is probably a play to get some last ditch money for them before vaulting them. It's exceptionally scummy. It's probably also difficult to keep things on Gamepass that will otherwise be unplayable. Their "vaulting" practice creates complications with a service like Gamepass I would think.

Last edited:

sainraja

Forsaken is to be vaulted and it's been hinted that Shadowkeep is next in the near future. Witch Queen will most likely not be coming to GamePass.

The removal of these from GamePass is probably a play to get some last ditch money for them before vaulting them. It's exceptionally scummy. It's probably also difficult to keep things on Gamepass that will otherwise be unplayable. Their "vaulting" practice creates complications with a see vice like Gamepass I would think.
I am not a fan of vaulting content either but hopefully we'll see the planets return in the future (they've said they will but ofcourse we don't yet know what that means). But you'd think since this is being vaulted they would just leave it on the service so the things they unlocked in Destiny 2 would remain so. I know a lot of the gear will stay regardless of ownership status of the expansions. Anyway I was just saying people who have Game Pass (that includes me) are generally aware that content will come and go. So it's best to take advantage of it when you can.

Top Bottom