• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 f2p is a scam

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
So, it works like this:

As a f2p player you have access to the base game campaign (which they already gave out for free through psn plus and the battlenet launcher) and the curse of osiris and warmind campaigns. These two pieces of content are they only actual bits of new content they gave out for free.

You don't get forsaken and its seasonal content, you don't get shadowkeep.

And of course you have to pay for the battle pass.

So essentially playing destiny costs the same as it costed before: 60 bucks a year if you want to play the latest content, and if you didnt buy their stuff the year before, you have to buy last year's content drop (which is now possibly obsolete) on top of this years. Unbelievable.

This is unbelievable scummy from Bungie. They haven't really gone f2p at all. Current standards for f2p games means you get EVERYTHING for free except the battle pass and the mtx.

And I can't even buy forsaken, apparently because I got the psn plus freebie they gave out. Which means I would have to track down a physical copy, possibly. Which means getting out of the f2p cage and unlock everything is going to cost me around 90 bucks, I guess. If i were so inclined. 90 bucks! Free to play my ass.

Nero_PR

Banned
Was curious about the PS Plus Forsaken Freebie. Didn't see it coming this way. They need to fix it.

Nero_PR

Banned
I've never played Destiny but basically what you're saying is a large portion of the game is free to play....?
Yes. You just don't play the new content that dropped 2 hours ago and the other Major Expansions (which costs U$25 as of today).

zeorhymer

What content isn't included in Destiny 2 New Light?
New Light comes with a whole lot of stuff, but not quite everything. You get all of Year 1, but only parts of Year 2. Story content in Forsaken and the Annual Pass is unavailable, as are end-game activities like raids (namely Last Wish, Scourge of the Past, and Crown of Sorrow) and the Shattered Throne dungeon. Many Exotics and weapons are also excluded from New Light, not to mention the nine alternate subclass trees and Supers introduced in Forsaken. Most of the content in Destiny 2: Shadowkeep is also unavailable - again, including the new raid, dungeon, and story content.

Do people even read what comes with games anymore?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I've never played Destiny but basically what you're saying is a large portion of the game is free to play....?

2 years old abandoned and now useless content is free 2 play.

Everything else is pay to play.

Becoming current means buying last year and this year, about 100 bucks.

ethomaz

Banned
Becoming current means buying last year and this year, about 100 bucks.
I think that is wrong because you just need to buy Shadowkeep ($34.99) to play the current.

Destiny 2: Shadowkeep does not require ownership of Destiny 2, or any previous expansions to purchase or play.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Yea but it's cross progression now. I got Shadowkeep on the Xbox and I'm playing the new content on the PC now. You couldn't do that before.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I think that is wrong because you just need to buy Shadowkeep ($34.99) to play the current.

Destiny 2: Shadowkeep does not require ownership of Destiny 2, or any previous expansions to purchase or play.

According to the wording that doesn't include Forsaken, it just says you don't need Forsaken to play Shadowkeep. It's further confirmed because if you go into the actual Destiny 2 game and attempt to buy Forsaken, instead of offering you Shadowkeep, I get offered an empty screen.

ethomaz

Banned
BTW the info graph of what is free.
Pretty clear.

EFaRiJVUwAAMvUD

Plus you need to pay $34.99 to buy the content released today.

Last edited:

Reon

So you wanted to play the whole game for free without spending any money on the content that just launched today? I don't understand, what business model do you think that would be - why would they launch a paid expansion but let anybody play it for free? There wouldn't be a point to launching a paid version of the expansion at all. Nobody would buy it.

I don't believe at any point they marketed the F2P version as "you get all of the expansions and content for completely free". It's free to play the game and level your character up to the point where you reach the end game. You can then purchase the ability to play more.

NickFire

I wouldn't call it a scam. But as someone who paid for all things Destiny through the end of D2's first year content, I'd call it Bungie's way of reminding its original player base that we never mattered then, and still don't matter now.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
They marketed the older expansions and the game as f2p which contains a large amount of content. Forsaken is optional(if you have already played it like myself on PS4 and just transferring character to Xbox I can skip it) same with Shadowkeep, but everyone who wants to continue the story will get.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
So you wanted to play the whole game for free without spending any money on the content that just launched today

Are you aware how f2p games work? Go play warframe, go play fortnite. You only pay for mtx and the battle pass (and warframe gives you the battle pass for free as well).

Destiny is not a f2p game. Destiny is free to try the obsolete content game. That's why advertising it as f2p is a scam.

This is so called f2p launch is only a marketing event to lure new players in and also an excuse for the absurd amount of MTX being offred.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Are you aware how f2p games work? Go play warframe, go play fortnite. You only pay for mtx and the battle pass (and warframe gives you the battle pass for free as well).

Destiny is not a f2p game. Destiny is free to try the obsolete content game. That's why advertising it as f2p is a scam.

How's it a scam when they clearly show you what's free?

I wouldn't call it a scam. But as someone who paid for all things Destiny through the end of D2's first year content, I'd call it Bungie's way of reminding its original player base that we never mattered then, and still don't matter now.

Pull out your violins, guys! Holy crap, you got to play the game in the preceding 2 years prior to this, including when that content was actually relevant and what the bulk of the player base was interested in. You might as well complain 2 year old games sell for 10 bucks at Gamestop when you spent 60 at release.

ethomaz

Banned
Different publishers... Activision sold you everything before... now Bungie is trying to offer you the previous content free and the actual content paid.

manfestival

It is the same f2p model as other games out there. TOR is kinda doing something similar but they are giving their latest expansion that comes out next month free if you sub. Yet the f2p model is very very limiting.
The amount of content you get from Destiny 2 is pretty solid on the f2p side of things. Especially if you eventually become a PVP only player. Gambit and Crucible are at times more robust than most regular retail games as far as content goes. Especially considering you will still have access to a ton of different guns that can change up your experience(let alone other factors).

I was not a big destiny 2 person in the past but I enjoy the game. I find it to be solid and to be a fantastic experience to have even at the f2p level.

Psykodad

Banned

This is so called f2p launch is only a marketing event to lure new players in and also an excuse for the absurd amount of MTX being offred.
Correct, Destiny isn't a f2p game.
Destiny 2 Y1 is a f2p portion.
Cry more.

NickFire

Pull out your violins, guys! Holy crap, you got to play the game in the preceding 2 years prior to this, including when that content was actually relevant and what the bulk of the player base was interested in. You might as well complain 2 year old games sell for 10 bucks at Gamestop when you spent 60 at release.
Price drops don't bother me, even when brought up by people who pretend paying 100 at launch allowed you to enjoy the game for 2 years (LOL). What bothered me was that even after paying 100 (plus micros), every attempt to really fix the game cost money. And now that they seem to maybe have a real vision for the game, those of us who were loyal spenders until getting fed up relatively recently, are treated the same as people who never spent a penny. That does bother me.

Codes 208

So its the base game and the first two expansions for free...

Exactly like they said it would be.

How is that a scam?
So it's a Demo.
Demo implies a portion of the game is playable for marketing purposes. The base game is fully playable from beginning to end. It even has the first dlc packs. It just doesnt include the major expansions which imo is fair for making the game f2p.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
Price drops don't bother me, even when brought up by people who pretend paying 100 at launch allowed you to enjoy the game for 2 years (LOL). What bothered me was that even after paying 100 (plus micros), every attempt to really fix the game cost money. And now that they seem to maybe have a real vision for the game, those of us who were loyal spenders until getting fed up relatively recently, are treated the same as people who never spent a penny. That does bother me.
Maybe you shouldn't have been spending that money to begin with.

Them losing the vast majority of their fanbase is what led to this.
You've got nothing but yourself to blame.

"Loyal spenders" legit WTF lol. You couldn't sound more sad. I bought everything Destiny 2 when it launched and always got the most expensive special editions and you don't hear me crying. Were it not worth it at the time I would have said so, but being mad about the fun times I had back then because in the year of our lord two thousand and nineteen other people get to play it free now would just be silly, it's going to broaden the player base, get more people into it and more people for me to play with. Not to mention probably help fund the next big thing from them. If you're a Destiny fan this is a sign of a bright future, if you're a petulant little child whose mad he didn't wait a few years to get it free guess what? It's not just Bungie who doesn't care about you, most of us don't.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Demo implies a portion of the game is playable for marketing purposes. The base game is fully playable from beginning to end. It even has the first dlc packs. It just doesnt include the major expansions which imo is fair for making the game f2p.

Bungie considers that a demo, they gave out the base game minus the two micro-expansions last year when Forsaken launched.

So wait, we are now mad that Bungie came out with an expansion (Shadowkeep) that doesn't require the base game to play. Is this what I'm reading. Jeez.

Codes 208

Bungie considers that a demo, they gave out the base game minus the two micro-expansions last year when Forsaken launched.
For ps4 and pc, but as an xbox gamer i certainly never got it for free.

Also important to note giving it out for free requires these services (like ps+). Now its just free regardless.

Last edited:

NickFire

"Loyal spenders" legit WTF lol. You couldn't sound more sad. I bought everything Destiny 2 when it launched and always got the most expensive special editions and you don't hear me crying. Were it not worth it at the time I would have said so, but being mad about the fun times I had back then because in the year of our lord two thousand and nineteen other people get to play it free now would just be silly, it's going to broaden the player base, get more people into it and more people for me to play with. Not to mention probably help fund the next big thing from them. If you're a Destiny fan this is a sign of a bright future, if you're a petulant little child whose mad he didn't wait a few years to get it free guess what? It's not just Bungie who doesn't care about you, most of us don't.
I'm glad someone had fun with the game in that first year.

Before you respond, let me guess, the only time you put it down was to nail my mom?

So its the base game and the first two expansions for free...

Exactly like they said it would be.

How is that a scam?

OK, that guy who made the thread expects too much for free.

Also those complaining about the game being free now, making the game free sometime after launch makes sense, it may bring in more players to the MP portion and possibly either make it relevant or keep it relevant (I don't know how popular the game is now).
Also important to note giving it out for free requires these services (like ps+). Now its just free regardless.
Unless things changed very very recently, you don't need PS+ for online f2p games (I played Warframe a long time ago without a subscription as far as I can tell)... You are not the first one to say this, so it must not be widely known.

Last edited:
I'm glad someone had fun with the game in that first year.

Before you respond, let me guess, the only time you put it down was to nail my mom?

You're pissy because it's content you didn't like but you spent the money on, then? LOL, legit my man, I spent 60 on Anthem this year and I feel totally burned but you know what? If they made it free to play I wouldn't give two shits because jealousy and envy aren't coded into my DNA.

Codes 208

OK, that guy who made the thread expects too much for free.

Also those complaining about the game being free now, making the game free sometime after launch makes sense, it may bring in more players to the MP portion and possibly either make it relevant or keep it relevant (I don't know how popular the game is now).
People complaining how this being f2p can is a scam should look for better examples.

A couple years ago bandai was going on how they were making dragon ball xenoverse f2p but in reality the free version only had about 20% of the base game playable and thats not including the 6-8 paid dlc packs they released.

Top Bottom