• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 is getting a battle pass. 100 ranks. Free and premium rewards.

It sounds like this is designed to be on top of everything else in the game, and will not replace the way most weapons and gear are earned.

If I'm not mistaken, each season pass (battle pass) costs $10, and they plan to do four in a year. This will provide the battle pass content, as well as some additional activities. For those who buy the new Shadowkeep expansion, the first season pass will be included.

Keep in mind that Destiny 2 is essentially going "free to play" on October 1st. The base game will be free, as will most non-story related expansion content, while everything else will be sold individually. Free strikes, free crucible, free gambit. Here's an idea of what is and what is not included with the free version:

zeorhymer

But the internet told me this sort of fuckery would stop after the split from Activision.
950HU6E.jpg

Garnox

I mean, it’s a a la carte approach.

If y’all actually played through all of year 2, you’d be familiar with having to pay for a whole season pass and get the shit that was Gambit Prime. Basically I was paying for stuff I didn’t play. With this model you can jump in and pay for stuff that sounds good and worth investing it.

Slightly better if I do say so. The pricing is what is suspect. I don’t recall what the season pass cost was last year, but I don’t recall it totaling up to $40 like this one potentially has. Maybe $5 a season would be more ideal.

ookami

play for free, on your 60 euro copy, with 40 euros worth of "battle passes" (expansions not included)
Well... Actually it is playing for free on your New Light (F2P) version of the game which is a start with everything included from D2 base game to Warmind. Then you can participate for a season for free and access rewards for that season or pay for that battle pass and have the otherr rewards associated on top ($10).
Then you can buy either Forsaken or Shadowkeep for story content and items/activities linked to the expansion. For me, it does look quite acceptable for first-time players but it remains to be seen if Bungie won't try to get too greedy or just mess up with how they equilibrate paid content items versus free ones.
However, I am not really fond of that battle pass model for a game like Destiny. Well... We'll see how it unfold.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Pay for a battle pass that's gonna get a sequel.

I can partly understand why people buy season passes in Fortnite, since it won't get a sequel. But in games like blops 4 and destiny 2 that's gonna get sequel. Pay so much for shit that won't carry with you for long.

Their progression is a bit of a fuckfest. Reinstalled it on PC because of cross-save (I mained PS4) but I can't buy forsaken anywhere (i'm more of a story fag) that isn't £35? A year old expansion? Does the new expansion due out in october unlock the old shit? Like in most of these games as a scam service titles?

I'd buy forsaken for PS4 as it's about £12 quid, but that content won't transfer over to PC? The PC license not transferring over to PS4 I can understand because Sony are cunts.

And what the fuck are annual passes? :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
My wish: Bungie shuts down Destiny 2 immediately, gets acquired by MSFT and begins making Halo games again. Also, they get Marty back.

alienator

Well... Actually it is playing for free on your New Light (F2P) version of the game which is a start with everything included from D2 base game to Warmind. Then you can participate for a season for free and access rewards for that season or pay for that battle pass and have the otherr rewards associated on top ($10).
Then you can buy either Forsaken or Shadowkeep for story content and items/activities linked to the expansion. For me, it does look quite acceptable for first-time players but it remains to be seen if Bungie won't try to get too greedy or just mess up with how they equilibrate paid content items versus free ones.
However, I am not really fond of that battle pass model for a game like Destiny. Well... We'll see how it unfold.

If they would have told me 2 years ago this game would be f2p with a battlepass model i would not have bothered at all with it... fool me once.... they got my 60 euros from back then.. and now they would want me to pay for battlepasses and stuff for completely worthless bits and bytes called loot. Im SO done with looter shooters with MT''s and lootboxes.. and this game was a friggin grind 2 years ago already.. can only image what it will be when it gets out. Que the threads. Outrage and anger. Nothing changes... they will 'listen" to the community , claim it was a bug in the xp bar and introduce other suprise mechanics.

There are days im really reallly happy just playing my snes in the mancave.

If they would have told me 2 years ago this game would be f2p with a battlepass model i would not have bothered at all with it... fool me once.... they got my 60 euros from back then.. and now they would want me to pay for battlepasses and stuff for completely worthless bits and bytes called loot. Im SO done with looter shooters with MT''s and lootboxes.. and this game was a friggin grind 2 years ago already.. can only image what it will be when it gets out. Que the threads. Outrage and anger. Nothing changes... they will 'listen" to the community , claim it was a bug in the xp bar and introduce other suprise mechanics.

There are days im really reallly happy just playing my snes in the mancave.

Have they explained how they're going fill the gaps without Activisions support studios bailing them out?

Copy - pasta'd moon for the next expansion, more remastering D1 content?

This battlepass bollocks smells of a company still stuck to boxed retail model and not having a clue/are terrified of going forward.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Wait,I'm confused. I bought everything before shadowkeep, and now they want to sell me new dlc plus a battle pass?

Am I reading this right?

Bryank75

Banned
Pay for a battle pass that's gonna get a sequel.

I can partly understand why people buy season passes in Fortnite, since it won't get a sequel. But in games like blops 4 and destiny 2 that's gonna get sequel. Pay so much for shit that won't carry with you for long.
The minute they decided to make a destiny 2 was the day they undermined everything they would do in the future. Ever since it's just been repackaging old content, armour and weapons.
Then Destiny 3 will be announced and we will be given the 'pleasure' of earning all our gear again and being stringed through expansion after expansion using weapons like Thorn, G'horn and icebreaker to tempt us.

It's pathetic. Bungie have the gameplay down but their level and overall game design is awful. People still leveling their character for thousands of hours for nothing.... when will they realize that they never actually get more powerful?

Garnox

Wait,I'm confused. I bought everything before shadowkeep, and now they want to sell me new dlc plus a battle pass?

Am I reading this right?

If you bought the deluxe edition for Shadowkeep (which I assume you mean by buying everything) you don’t have to pay for all this extra stuff they’re showing.

If you buy vanilla Shadowkeep, you get season of the Undying included but everything after that is paid content.

Looks as though there two different battle passes, a top tier and bottom tier. If you buy the season expansions, you get the top tier content, if not you get bottom tier stuff.

So if you did indeed get the Deluxe version, which includes all the seasons (4) you are good to go.

Otherwise everything is still “free”, people just get some extra freebies for purchasing individual seasons ($10)

Y’all should check out Houndish for your Destiny news.

Edit: If misinterpreting your question/statement, then just ignore my post.

Last edited:
This sounds like such a downgrade compared to the Annual Pass currently going on. Instead of unique events with activities and characters we just get an XP grind battle pass for content? What a joke.

Barakov

Gold Member
Ummmmm, NO. I'm in for Shadowkeep but after that you get no more money from me, Bungie. Having battle passes in f2p games is one thing but charging for this in Destiny in something else entirely.

This sounds like such a downgrade compared to the Annual Pass currently going on. Instead of unique events with activities and characters we just get an XP grind battle pass for content? What a joke.
Agree. I love me some Destiny despite its' problems but what they're doing now just sucks.

VertigoOA

Banned
The battle pass is just a linear progression method for the same amount of shit you always get. And it’s additional to the traditional acquisition methods for loot too.

The battle pass is not the dlc you’re paying for. You’re still getting new endgame content. But people are retarded and jump to conclusions.

However, since seasonal events will be phased out... this is just a guaranteed loot to grind for if you want.

People are mistaking this as an additional charge to the season pass, which it is not. People are misplacing their faux internet hate when the big risky change is an evolving live game state that changes from season to season. It’s risky but also exciting imo. I’ve seen activities lose their appeal so changing maps and endgame events is... I want to see what happens.

Destiny will now exist in real time with the story evolvig from season to season and if you weren’t there you missed out on those events., etc...

So instead of doing some bulkshit bounty for thorn you just unlock it with a battle pass doing the same menial bullshit task. It only be outlined in a more simple fashion. They already started to introduce similar shit this season with tribute hall and bad juju.

Out of all the shit they announced spergs can only jump on what they think they know... battlepass !cue hate because online games am bad and autism levels not qualified to enjoy.

The real news is that events, activities, characters etc will disappear and appear depending on what month of the year you play. I like it it because I’m a hardcore player and will have seen it all. I don’t like it because that experience will be unique to the time you were playing the game. I’m for it if it allows them to be more experiemwntal and in the end leaves more spaces in the game filled with shit to do. We destiny 2.5 this October

Destiny is still 90$ a year avg for hardcore players.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
In other news, Paul tassi confirmed that if you buy annual pass with you main cross save account... it will be available to play on all platforms where shadowkeep needs an individual license purchase for each platform

Last edited:
Top Bottom