• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Launching on Battle.net (and maybe other Activision games someday)

Interfectum

Sure, it's a free to play game though. And likely one of the only ones. CS GO is available on Uplay iirc. So was Portal 2 (and on Origin).

I don't see any Valve games on those services but I could not be looking in the right place. I'm guessing they sell a Steam key though, right?

prag16

Banned
There goes the hype.
Yeah Valve should have a 100% monopoly on PC game distribution amirite?

But seriously, you were hyped for this PC release, and are now no longer hyped strictly because it's not coming to Steam? You've got problems.

gypsygib

Don't really see why Activision would release anything on Steam. It's just more money for them to do it on battle.net and not pay royalties.

I don't mind at all. The more money publishers can get from PC games the better. I'd love for PC to be the main platform for all of them. Should offset the general trend of lower PC game revenues a bit.

If publishers were smart they'd form a consortium and create a Steam rival. Aside from operating costs, all the revenues would be theirs.

To get widely into left field, they could create a console too. The vast majority of games sales and revenues come from third parties. If they all stopped releasing on Playstation and Xbox, gamers would have no choice but to follow the games. Console online fees may even cover the operating costs. Gamers may be stout fanboys but paradoxically, few have much brand loyalty (which is a good thing). Just look how easy it was to switch from Nintendo to Sony to Xbox back to Sony. They pretty much love and vigorously defend what they own at the time. In any event, it would never happen but publishers must think about the billions of dollars they've paid to middlemen over the years.

ezodagrom

I don't see any Valve games on those services but I could not be looking in the right place. I'm guessing they sell a Steam key though, right?
I think they were in the past but ended being removed or something.
But yeah, they were Steam keys, though nothing wrong with that (and there would be nothing wrong if Destiny 2 were to be available on other digital stores while still requiring the Blizzard client, but almost certainly it'll be exclusively sold in the Blizzard store).

ElRenoRaven

Don't really see why Activision would release anything on Steam. It's just more money for them to do it on battle.net and not pay royalties.

I don't mind at all. The more money publishers can get from PC games the better. I'd love for PC to be the main platform for all of them. Should offset the general trend of lower PC game sales a bit.

Yup. From a financial point of view it only makes sense to expand battle.net to include their other games.

Mechazawa

I love all the reaching in this thread to justify how Destiny being on Battle.net is good or somehow better than it being on Steam. That client has been in perpetual stasis for the past 3 years. Blizzard has effectively done nothing to it. It is a vehicle to play Blizzard games and nothing more.

Looking forward to CoD's population being even more dead in the next few years.

Magwik

Banned
I love all the reaching in this thread to justify how Destiny being on Battle.net is good or somehow better than it being on Steam. That client has been in perpetual stasis for the past 3 years. Blizzard has effectively done nothing to it. It is a vehicle to play Blizzard games and nothing more.

I love all the reaching in this thread to justify how Overwatch being on Battle.net is good or somehow better than it being on Steam. That client has been in perpetual stasis for the past 3 years. Blizzard has effectively done nothing to it. It is a vehicle to play Blizzard games and nothing more.
I love all the reaching in this thread to justify how HoTS being on Battle.net is good or somehow better than it being on Steam. That client has been in perpetual stasis for the past 3 years. Blizzard has effectively done nothing to it. It is a vehicle to play Blizzard games and nothing more.

vewn

Yeah Valve should have a 100% monopoly on PC game distribution amirite?

But seriously, you were hyped for this PC release, and are now no longer hyped strictly because it's not coming to Steam? You've got problems.

That's not what I wrote. I'm not keen on installing another launcher (Steam, Origin, Uplay, the Rockstar shit, Galaxy, Epic games launcher, Bethesda launcher and Battlenet + other ones)... where does this end? I'm not saying I want a monopoly but I want to chose which damn store I want to buy it from.

Keep judging random people on the internet based on one sentence.

Mechazawa

I love all the reaching in this thread to justify how Overwatch being on Battle.net is good or somehow better than it being on Steam. That client has been in perpetual stasis for the past 3 years. Blizzard has effectively done nothing to it. It is a vehicle to play Blizzard games and nothing more.

No lies detected.

Steam people: you know you can run Steam Overlay over Blizzard App games, right?

It's not a big deal unless you were hoping to buy the game with your steambuxx or something.

It'll be fine.

nynt9

Looking forward to CoD's population being even more dead in the next few years.

This is objectively false. They added streaming from the client just late last year. You can now create voice chat channels with multiple people as well.

Baleoce

Now if they do cross promotions between Overwatch and Destiny 2, that I could get behind. There's some crossover in playerbase for sure there. I think a lot of people see the HotS stuff as a means to an end (acquiring skins). Not that it isn't fun, but I just think Destiny 2 is a better fit for such promotions.

Interfectum

I think they were in the past but ended being removed or something.
But yeah, they were Steam keys, though nothing wrong with that (and there would be nothing wrong if Destiny 2 were to be available on other digital stores while still requiring the Blizzard client, but almost certainly it'll be exclusively sold in the Blizzard store).

Yeah, I'm just not sure Steam users would be happy buying a b.net key off Steam if they had to still download the client, use a login and b.net friend's list anyway. So to say Valve sells their products on other stores is kinda disingenuous because they simply force you to the Steam client, not let you play their games off the ubi/origin client.

madjoki

What?

ah it just a key you activate through steam.

Interesting though. never knew this.

Yeah. Most games that are sold on Steam can be bought outside as a Steam keys.

It's very rare to be Steam exclusive as in sold only on Steam. (Whereas Battle.Net keys aren't really sold on third party sites).

But most AAAs are Steam Client exclusive as in you need steam to play.

There's huge difference between store exclusive and client exclusives.

Pretty much how I see it.

Slippery slope though. I can see Activision eventually pumping out their own client, or just tossing all the PC ports to the Bnet launcher.

Activsion doesn't have any big PC franchises, so it's qustionable if such move would be profitable. (Assuming they wouldn't sell on Steam, kinda like Ubisoft does).

ezodagrom

I'm just not sure of the argument he was trying to pose. I'm not sure Steam users would be happy being a b.net key off Steam if they had to still download the client, use a login and b.net friend's list anyway.
Well, that's how Ubisoft/Uplay works after all (though Steam itself downloads the Uplay client).

But when people complain about it being exclusive to the Blizzard store it doesn't necessarily mean it's about the lack of a Steam release, there's other digital stores afterall, like Gamesplanet, Humble Store, and so on.

Oscar

Activsion doesn't have any big PC franchises, so it's qustionable if such move would be profitable. (Assuming they wouldn't sell on Steam, kinda like Ubisoft does).
One that comes to mind is Call of Duty. If Steam really does take 30%, they'd be wise to move that series as well.

Yeah. Most games that are sold on Steam can be bought outside as a Steam keys.

It's very rare to be Steam exclusive as in sold only on Steam. (Whereas Battle.Net keys aren't really sold on third party sites).

But most AAAs are Steam Client exclusive as in you need steam to play.

There's huge difference between store exclusive and client exclusives.

What blizzard games aren't sold on third party sites?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017L187YG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MY2EE5D/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PV2S6EE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Even hearthstone is available through google play and amazon and apple's store.

Zakalwe

Banned
I don't know why people feel such extreme loyalty to Steam. "No Steam no buy" is such a weird mantra, especially when the client being used is a pretty good one.

the guy who made steamspy

DAI1nknXkAAfX3p.jpg:large

Nydius

Kinda nonplussed about this, really. The reason Battle.net tends to be so good at what it does, and why it gets mostly positive support, is because it's 100% Blizzard. Everything is directly integrated and handled in house at Blizzard HQ. Easy to support and monitor, easy to cross-promote, easy to weed out toxic players or cheats.

But adding in Destiny 2 starts to muddy the waters. Blizzard isn't going to support or monitor the game, that will still be under the purview of Bungie. There's not going to be a "Jeff Kaplan" like figure for Destiny 2 as there is for Overwatch. At most, Blizzard's support will begin and end with the launcher itself and the integration of the social and chat functions.

If Activision starts pushing for most of their games to go to Battle.net, it will just dilute Battle.net and start giving Battle.net all of the same problems which plague Steam, Origin, and uPlay.

No, I don't think Steam should have a monopoly but I'd rather not see Activision try to shoe-horn in products on Battle.net when Battle.net has been, up until now, so purposefully designed for Blizzard-only products and support.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Didn't Blizzard help with the devolpment of Destiny 1?

They lent their "fix our disappointing vanilla game with a good xpac" experience from diablo 3 when it came time for bungie to get Taken King together.

As good as steam is, it's good that it's not the only thing out there. And it's annoying to see the "OMG SO MANY CLIENTS WHEN DOES IT STOP" bullshit because having oriign, steam, bethesda's launcher, epics launcher, and blizzard app all on one PC is not an issue. We used to have to manage each game by individual disc. So it's gone from hundreds to less than 10 things to really manage.

Fuz

Banned
That's not what I wrote. I'm not keen on installing another launcher (Steam, Origin, Uplay, the Rockstar shit, Galaxy, Epic games launcher, Bethesda launcher and Battlenet + other ones)... where does this end? I'm not saying I want a monopoly but I want to chose which damn store I want to buy it from.

Keep judging random people on the internet based on one sentence.

I'm not keen on installing ANY launcher. steam included (which I don't use by choice)

Thank god Galaxy is optional.

rrs

does this confirm a rebrand back to battle.net?
Yeah, I'm just not sure Steam users would be happy buying a b.net key off Steam if they had to still download the client, use a login and b.net friend's list anyway. So to say Valve sells their products on other stores is kinda disingenuous because they simply force you to the Steam client, not let you play their games off the ubi/origin client.
well, GTAV does this to an extent and it's very popular on steam, although all other sold keys are for R*'s launcher thing

madjoki

What blizzard games aren't sold on third party sites?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017L187YG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MY2EE5D/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PV2S6EE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Even hearthstone is available through google play and amazon and apple's store.

I didn't say not sold, just not widely sold, Amazon is one of few. Compare for example how uPlay, Origin and Steam games are sold literally everywhere.

I don't think there's any official digital battle.net seller for EU for example. (And codes are region locked so you can't buy from Amazon US).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
the guy who made steamspy

DAI1nknXkAAfX3p.jpg:large

I'd say the only thing he's correct about is Valve taking 30%. It's decidedly disingenuous to say that the 30% cut MS/Sony take is different because maybe, if your game stands out, you'll be offered a marketing deal, for one, and I'm not seeing what relevance hardware has. "Steam's CDN is not optimised for online titles" in particular doesn't even make sense. Is he under the impression that Steam's patching process isn't conducive to regular updates? It's supported delta patching for over half a decade now. Even on the developer side, you don't have to upload an entire new build of your game if you utilise the data depot system properly. If patching your game is a laborious process because you throw everything into a single 50GB depot, well, that's on you.

ElRenoRaven

I don't know why people feel such extreme loyalty to Steam. "No Steam no buy" is such a weird mantra, especially when the client being used is a pretty good one.

Why do people argue over console's like they're are their first born child? Why do people fight over console online services like they're their mother? People are stupid and childish. While I don't use Origin or uplay, I have zero problem with them existing and I have them installed if I want to use them. These clients aren't like consoles. They don't cost me hundreds of dollars and take up space on a shelf. This is even more stupid when you can use the damn steam overlay on games from other services.

People just want to find something to be outraged about. it's that simple.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
huh. i'm okay with this since it doesnt seem like theyre expanding this to just any ol' game.

if its any good i might buy it. a nice fps with rpg elements should be more fun than overwatch for me.

Top Bottom