• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 |OT2| Leviathan Wakes (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

Cornbread78

Did someone save the list of great legendary weapons recommended by Hawk? I had a look in the OT but couldn't find it at first glance.

Here's a list of some stuff you may not want to shard if it comes across your screen, with some reasoning why for each and some notes on the perks. If I know where it can be obtained in a static way, I've included this as well.

This may help if you know what exotic you want to run and are trying to find a good fit for the other slots. I suggest looking at the gun type and seeing if there's anything that appeals to your particular style rather than trying to identify "the best" in any category, IMO there's a pretty solid amount of good guns and I still have more to try.

This is the stuff I can recommend so far (either from direct use or direct reports). I have not used Snipers or Grenade Launchers enough to comment on them at all yet, if anyone has high recommendations give me a little description and I'll add it.

Also I haven't spent any time with the Raid or Trials weapons yet either, but I know at least a couple of them seem great.

---

Auto Rifles
Scathelocke (Kinetic): An all around great mid-high RoF AR. Any of the scopes seem viable based on personal preference, and go for HCR. Under Pressure makes this thing feel incredibly stable as you hold the trigger down. Great boss DPS kinetic.
Origin Story (Kinetic): Another all around great AR, this one is mid-low RoF if you prefer that, and the Rampage perk- extra damage on kill, stacking up to 3 times- excels both in PvE and PvP. Zavala offers this as a quest reward choice.
Halfdan-D (Kinetic): This is a Hakke super-low RoF, high impact, very accurate auto that hits like a truck, has huge range, and Outlaw. I recommend GA Post and Armor-Piercing rounds for a good balance of handling and range.
Uriel's Gift (Energy): Just a fantastic choice for your Energy slot, mid-low RoF and high range and native stability. Can pop shields very effectively in PvE, so consider what element to put on it. Go with the Flash sights to completely maximize the range, and High Caliber Rounds. The Tap the Trigger perk is also extremely noticeable; just do what it says (fire in small bursts) for boosted accuracy. In the Failsafe (Nessus) engram pool and a potential Additional Reward from Ikora.
Martyr's Make (Energy): largely overshadowed by Uriel's this is a mid-high RoF SUROS auto with a fantastic stat spread, enormous 49 round magazine, and High-Impact Reserves (the new Glass Half Full). Ricochet vs Accurized rounds is a judgment call. It is sadly missing Uriel's best-in-calss range (SRO-52 sight bumps it up with no stability cost) and has no HCR, but remains worth a look if you like SUROS autos.
Perseverance (Energy): Available during the beta under a different name, this is a high-RoF chainsaw with a huge magazine, Dynamic Sway Reduction and a faster reload on empty intrinsic perk. Basically you want to start with a full mag, and just hold down the trigger all the way to empty every time. A blast to use.
Scout Rifles
Call to Serve (Kinetic): An extremely reliable scout that feels satisfyingly crispy to shoot, with very predictable recoil, and Triple Tap (and you will hit those crits). Go Appended Mag for faster reload at the cost of only one round. Surprisingly, I love using this with the long zoom Mark 15 scope.
Nameless Midnight (Kinetic): Unequivocally one of the best PvE weapons available. It pairs an extremely balanced stat spread (same impact as Call to Serve with nearly as much Range and Stability) with Explosive Rounds. Sights/perks are preference. Really just can't go wrong with this in your Kinetic unless the situation demands extreme close range. Zavala offers this as a quest reward.
Tone Patrol (Energy): Another very balanced stat spread with High Caliber Rounds and Dragonfly (the new Firefly) which does the damage of your applied element type. Go with the SPO-57 sights to max range and highlight enemy targets. This is extremely fun to shoot as well and I think it is often passed over simply because of running a scout in the Kinetic. Pairs great with a Kinetic HC, AR, or SMG, ideally with quickdraw.
Seven-Six-Five (Energy): Omolon's Full Auto energy scout, which comes with Lightweight (move faster) intrinsically, the only of the scouts here to do so. Stick with the Torch sights, and choose either Accurized to max range or Armor Piercing for the penetrate. It slightly loses out in the other stat categories to the above guns, but if you're into full auto scouts, keep your eye out for this one. Same as above, if you're running an Energy scout, a kinetic with Quickdraw is a great idea.
Manannan SR4 (Energy): close range, high ROF scout with Explosive Payload. Works well paired with Nameless Midnight because you're almost never engaging shielded enemies at a significant distance.
Pulse Rifles
Nightshade (Kinetic): Much like Nameless Midnight and Origin Story (the other Zavala quest choice options), this just excels in its weapon class in the Kinetic slot. Mid-high RoF, good sights, either Tactical Mag or Armor Piercing via preference, and Kill Clip (the new reactive reload). This is almost always a great choice if you like Pulses.
Lincoln Green (kinetic): Currently, this is an unmatched high-RoF pulse and comes with Quickdraw; likely the best legendary pulse in the game for Crucible. I suggest the Model 6 Loop sights for a balance on range and handling, and Steady Rounds- you already get fast reload on empty from its intrinsic perk.
Agenda 5 (energy): A mid-high RoF energy pulse with Lightweight and Zen Moment. This is a good choice for a PvE loadout where you want a pulse on the Energy slot and don't want to use your Exotic on Graviton. It has a generous mag and soild stats all around; the only thing holding it back from complete greatness is that both scope options are long zoom, but you may find one you like.
Swift Ride (energy): The only Pulse I've seen so far with Headseeker. If you used guns with this perk in D1 you'll know whether or not you like/care about that (I love it). Works great with popping shields and continuing to fire precision hits for the kill in PvE (when you might otherwise have switched to Kinetic). It has a good stat spread and sights as well. It is the mid-low RoF archetype which limits its use in Crucible.
Nergal PR4 (energy): mid-high RoF Omolon pulse. So this has Lightweight and Full Auto, plus the good Torch sights. Great handling. As with the Seven-Six-Five, if you want a full auto pulse this is your best bet for the moment.
Hand Cannons
Better Devils (kinetic): As featured in, and seemingly untouched from, the Beta, this is the go-to "damn good hand cannon." It's great at everything, has a 13 round mag with Extended, and Explosive Rounds. Excels in both PvE and PvP, and has one of Bungie's best gun names ever, referring both to Lincoln's first Inaugural Address and being a "better" version of D1's The Devil You Know and The Devil You Don't. In Shaxx's Crucible engram pool.
The Old-Fashioned (kinetic): With similar stats to Better Devils except for better stability and handling, and slightly less range, this "break-action style" HC is also a great choice if you get your hands on it. Kill Clip is a completely viable alternative to Explosive Rounds that is sometimes even more useful on an HC. It is slightly held back by a smaller mag than the above, though it has slightly higher reload.
Dire Promise (kinetic): This seems to be Dead Orbit's HC, also in the break action style, but this one has a higher 150 RoF and a 13 Round magazine, plus Triple Tap. Extremely accurate. Go with Truesight, pace your shots, and you WILL proc Triple Tap from those crits, making the magazine size in-use completely ridiculous in PvE. It also seems to have a ton of aim assist for Crucible use. Don't see a lot of these, but it's my favorite HC so far. Got it from a Cayde-6 Treasure Cache.
Shattered Peace (energy): Omolon's Lightweight HC, also high RoF with a 12 round mag, which paired for Zen Moment is great for PvE. All stats excel except Stability, but Zen Moment helps compensate and initial accuracy is great. Choice of HCR or Armor Piercing rounds. Feels great to pop shields with and switch to kinetic for the kill.
Annual Skate (energy): This is a SUROS hand cannon with Outlaw; you probably already know if you want it or not. I'm going with the Hitmark sights, and you can either rock a 10 round mag with higher stability and reload, or a 13 with max range (considering Outlaw, probably the better choice). Feels very crisp in the hand.
Minuet-42 (energy): This is a near-clone of the Annual Skate, also from SUROS, with very similar stats but the Opening Shot perk, which actually adds bonus range on your first shot in a volley as well as accuracy, and boosts reload to compensate for the lack of Outlaw. You can't go wrong with either.
Sidearms
Note: I have not found a Kinetic sidearm I really like yet (besides Rat King, which is underrated, but not Legendary anyway). If anyone has one to recommend please let me know!
Dead Man Walking (energy): This is SUROS' full-auto sidearm.You aren't going to accomplish much with this at range, but it chews up shields, red-bars, and even players in Crucible up close. I'm using Tactic SAS but not sure if it's the best of the three. Go with Armor Piercing Rounds, both for the effect and to lower the mag size to take advantage of Under Pressure and the intrinsic empty reload perk. Can be hip-fired basically like a machine pistol.
The Last Dance (energy): This is the Vanguard-branded Omolon sidearm, meaning it's a 3-burst shot. It's extremely satisfying to use and can contest at ranges you might not expect.Target SAS on this one because stability is always so high. The Moving Target perk is very helpful in Crucible- never fire this thing from the hip.
Last Hope (energy): The unbranded sister Omolon to Last Dance, this is also a 3-burst shot. It has very slightly less range in exchange for literally maxed stability and better handling, and trades Moving Target for Zen Moment. Go with ricochet rounds instead of steady to keep the range up. You can hip fire with this one. Both of these are great sidearms.
SMGs
Note: Game has literally not given me a Kinetic SMG yet at all. Any recommendations are welcome.
Antiope-D (kinetic): lower RoF, higher impact SMG with both ricochet rounds (extremely fun on SMGs) and Kill Clip.
Mida Mini-Tool (energy): even without the bonuses of equipping its big brother at the same time, the Mini-Tool is an excellent all around SMG with Lightweight built in, high RoF, great in-air accuracy, and a generous mag that reloads faster if you drain it all.
Out of Options (energy): an ironically-named SMG, because the middle column makes this incredibly versatile- choose from a high-RoF large mag with quick reload on empty, an even higher mag without quick reload, or a lower RoF mag that boosts impact by about 40%. Pulse Monitor can help you keep firing when you'd otherwise be empty so you can get the kill/trade when you're in a pitched battle in the Crucible.
Fusion Rifles
Main Ingredient: returning from the Beta, this is an all-around fantastic, mid-charge time fusion, with the Rampage perk in particular just nuts for PvP. You can't really go wrong here, but if you're comfortable cooking your fusion shots before firing, go for Liquid Coils. Otherwise stick to Enhanced Battery and use it like a quick-charge fusion. In the Zavala engram pool.
Shock and Awe: A mid-charge fusion with good range that shines using the Backup Plan perk, essentially Plan C's exotic perk from D1. Swap to this weapon and immediately fire for a hyper-fast, accurate shot.
Cartesian Coordinate: One of my favorite weapons to use in general PvE, we've got a balanced fusion with Accelerated Coils at barely any impact cost, and Auto-Loading Holster (the new Cocoon perk), an absolutely wonderful perk to have on a fusion. I like Red Dot-ORS1.
Erentil FR4: This is the ultimate slow-charge, high impact fusion (my preferred type) that I've encountered so far. Use the Flash sight to max range, and Liquid Coils makes this beast literally max impact. You need to be confident cooking your shots, but these stats plus Under Pressure make this an underrated monster in PvP. The ranges at which you can pull off the one-shot are insane.
Rocket Launchers
Curtain Call: Cluster Bombs are back and badder. Against targets with large hitboxes this is a monstrous weapon, especially when paired with a Rally Barricade to be used without reloading.
Shotguns
Good Bone Structure: This is a SUROS shotty firing a single precision slug, paired with Rifled Barrel, High-Caliber Rounds and Outaw, which is an incredibly uncommon perk on a shotgun. This takes care to aim, but feels amazing to score multiple headshots and then reload at super speed, and the range is exquisite.
First In, Last Out: Another single slug SUROS, similar stats except for slightly more range and better reload than the above, which combines with Pulse Monitor to help compensate for the lack of Outlaw; one extra slug if you would have otherwise been empty can be life or death in a close-call scenario.
Retrofuturist: A traditional spread shotgun with solid stats, Lightweight, and Auto-Loading Holster, which is fantastic on a shotgun at least in PvE. In Shaxx's engram pool.
Hawthorne's Field-Forged Shotgun: Balanced spread shotgun with Lightweight, Rifled Barrel, and Full Auto- one of the only auto shotties in the game so far. In Devrim's EDZ engram pool.
Swords
Note: Quickfang, Eternity's Edge, and Crown Splitter are campaign completion rewards from Cayde for Hunter, Warlock and Titan respectively. They can only be equipped on the class that acquired them.
Quickfang: In addition to making you look cool while running around, Quickfang is a legitimately deadly weapon that is all about speed. It pairs Lightwieght with the faster sword attack speed, plus a versatile dash attack on R2. The En Garde perk gives you bonus damage after swapping to it, so it's perfect for running into melee range, swapping, and hitting the quick R2 then dipping out of combat before enemies can touch you. Since the impact changes are minute and Quickfang has no ammo-sustain perk, I use Tempered Edge to bump it up to 31.
Crown Splitter: This is one of if not the only sword to have the high-damage AoE slam R2 attack, which pairs extremely well with its perk granting ammo for kills with the R2 attack.
Eternity's Edge: While otherwise not notable in terms of stats, Eternity's Edge is the easiest access all players have to the Whirlwind Blade perk, which is a best-in-class perk for bosses that are vulnerable to swords. It stacks a damage buff up to x5 on hits. Particularly useful in the Gardens encounter against the warbeast dogs. (raid spoiler)
Unspoken Promise: This unassuming blade is the only one in the game with the Relentless Strikes perk; any three strikes in a row- no kills required- grant ammo. Go Honed Edge here because that ammo return really pays off against either groups or bosses.
Negative Space: The only other sword with the Whirlwind Blade perk for stacking damage. This has otherwise solid stats as well and looks beautiful. In Sloane's Titan engram pool.
^

I agree that it is baffling how badly they missed the mark with the vault again. Why even have a postmaster? Just send that shit to my vault. Why make it still so small? With three characters, it fills up quick. Lastly, the ridiculously bloated mod system just creates more clutter, throw on top of that the need to store shaders now, the whole thing is a mess.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Did someone save the list of great legendary weapons recommended by Hawk? I had a look in the OT but couldn't find it at first glance.

Here ya go

John will add it :D

There are a couple I've gotten since making that that I definitely ought to add. Valakadyn, Red Mamba, the Etana sidearm and Nergal pulse (the latter two of which I don't have but want badly) are totally worth keeping and trying out.

edit: whoa cornbread XD

Cornbread78

Here ya go

There are a couple I've gotten since making that that I definitely ought to add. Valakadyn, Red Mamba, the Etana sidearm and Nergal pulse (the latter two of which I don't have but want badly) are totally worth keeping and trying out.

It's a great post. I had that post saved on my phone windows. I had to convert to PC, lol

ev0

Yeah something done gone wrong. I think we experienced like a 75% crash rate on flying to the tower after Raid last night.

Sucks. Do note legendaries count if you are flush with those, and it can be either energy or kinetic.

Thanks. bad luck I guess lol. I had 5 in my inventory, but was only to dismantle 3. Didn't want to shard my Nameless Midnight or Call to Serve. Played for another 90mins and I got more handcanons ugh.

f@luS

More than a member.
The Bungie App is fine and serviceable. DIM and Ishtar Commander are a whole other tier of power options that I like. But you do you. No wrong answers.
Exemple ? I’m just curious.

I had a lot of lost items memories from the beginning of these things in destiny 1

AaronMT86

Cleared the Prestige Nightfall with :18 on the clock.

Just posting our setup, take it as you may. Three storm-callers, all attunement of the elements with healing rift. We just death balled every cluster of enemies with healing rifts and pulse grenades. Kill everything, don't worry about rushing the hacks with the Taken. Run Wardcliff or a cluster bomb for for good clearing of vex. During super usage on the boss, continue to throw grenades while in the middle of your super. Careful crossing over to the plates, throw grenades before hand, don't charge at them.

Mezoly

Disappointing to hear that guided games won't have checkpoints in the Raid. Oh well, I will still try it since the raid time seems to have been cut by people already.

MoonGred

Here ya go

Thanks!

I've been hoarding so many of my legendaries in the fear of dismanteling a hidden gem. This has also pushed me over edge to infuse Eystein-D into nameless midgnight so I can finally break away from Mida which has been taking up the legendary slot for ages.

Tovarisc

Really dislike the mod system. Its just a big mess right now. Should have been way cleaner overall.

How UI shows 'Base_Value + Mod_Value' -calculations result should be broken down better. Currently it just throws it into overall PL value without indicating that there is e.g. +5 mod in play. This leads to people missing out on new infusion bases and don't infuse when possible because e.g. both helmets are 285 even if another is just 280+5.

Overall process of obtaining blue mods and turning them into purple mods etc. is quite straight forward.

Disappointing to hear that guided games won't have checkpoints in the Raid. Oh well, I will still try it since the raid time seems to have been cut by people already.

It's probably referring to the fact that the raid doesn't have checkpoints in the traditional sense but I could be wrong

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks!

I've been hoarding so many of my legendaries in the fear of dismanteling a hidden gem. This has also pushed me over edge to infuse Eystein-D into nameless midgnight so I can finally break away from Mida which has been taking up the legendary slot for ages.
Ah yeah, Nameless Midnight in general PvE is more than worth the investment. MIDA's best aspects don't really shine except in PvP and there are way better uses of your Exotic. :)

I want an Exotic sword
You and me both. Basically stunned there isn't one.

I am secretly sanguine for a Black Spindle-esque hidden challenge to get one that hasn't yet been discovered. But more likely one will come in Dec. with the Osiris expansion.

uberTerminus

Neo Member
Has anyone else noticed that if you put an exotic ornament in the vault, you can still apply the ornament to the relevant weapon but not consume the ornament?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Has anyone else noticed that if you put an exotic ornament in the vault, you can still apply the ornament to the relevant weapon but not consume the ornament?
Ornaments are never consumed. Once you own one you can keep it on any character or in the vault and apply/remove it freely.
I was reading this thread and it seems whatever checkpoints exist in the Raid are gone using guided games.
https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/72sbc1/raid_guided_games_experience_as_a_guide/
That's strange. I can understand the rationale behind not allowing Guided Games to be started from checkpoints, but it seems like anyone in one should "earn" the checkpoint they were at to be used with a normal fireteam if they aren't able to finish. I wonder why this decision was made or if it's simply a bug itself.

MoonGred

Ah yeah, Nameless Midnight in general PvE is more than worth the investment. MIDA's best aspects don't really shine except in PvP and there are way better uses of your Exotic. :)

Yea that's what I was thinking.

Hoping to find a raid group tomorrow and don't want to be holding the group back because of a poor weapon choise.

Are there any "must have" weapons to take into the raid?

Level 260. Using GG to try and do the nightfall and have been waiting 20 minutes with no luck or sign anything is happening.

Real good solution to matchmaking you got here bungie.

Raven117

Gold Member

Its really not all that bad once you have a full team of six knowing what to do. (As with all raids), but in particular here as you cant really carry weaker players.

For guided games, I think Bungie is going to have to incentive players to sherpa players. The raid is simply too tiresome to do with an inexperienced team unless you just WANT to sherpa. Which is great, but some players just want to beat it, get the loot and move on.

Exemple ? I'm just curious.

I had a lot of lost items memories from the beginning of these things in destiny 1

More advanced options mostly. For example you can create and save loadouts for fast switching of multiple items. The UI displays when an item has a legendary mod on it. Advanced search options. That type of stuff.

SIDE NOTE: It'd be nice if Bungie declassified those inventory items about now.

Hoping to find a raid group tomorrow and don't want to be holding the group back because of a poor weapon choise.

A Coldheart is really desirable for the last fight and Merciless, a cluster rocket, or whirlwind blade sword are really useful for another fight. None of those are mandatory, but they do help a lot.

yo Hawkian; read your weapons and and just wanted you opinion on the "Vigilance Wing" I use this gun along with Uriel's Gift and my K/D has greatly improved! that "harsh truths" ability has made me survive some hectic fire fights.

Perineum

Level 260. Using GG to try and do the nightfall and have been waiting 20 minutes with no luck or sign anything is happening.

Real good solution to matchmaking you got here bungie.

I don't get it. I would just offer up MMing for NF at this point, and raid.

If it doesn't pan out, oh well people leave. It's stupid to put this wall over attempting content. I get it, it probably will lead to toxicity and frustration for folks, but for every story like that you will have success stories of completions and new friendships made online.

Guided games is no guarantee either the person guiding isn't a jobber either. Shit system all around.

Also, what is the best/fastest way to earn glimmer? I am starved as I hit 300 light. Can't even afford Cayde's treasure maps.

Exemple ? I’m just curious.

Being able to see all your characters at once. Drag and drop. Saved loadouts. Powerful search options. At the end of D1, DIM had loadout optimization based on perks and stats.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Individual specific weapons that are must-have, nope. There are "best possible DPS" setups for min-maxing or clearing encounters much more quickly than required, but all encounters can be completely with a wide variety of loadouts and near-optimally with a good number as well.

But here is a list of ones you might have access to that can be incredibly valuable for one or more encounters, if you have them:

Sweet Business
Coldheart
Nameless Midnight
Manannan
Skyburner's Oath
Merciless
Eternity's Edge
Negative Space
Hawthorne's Field-Forged Shotgun
Coldheart
Prospector
Curtain Call

neoism

What in the hell is this thing? Does bungie own it? Will I have my info stolen? How can a third party have access to everything??
No you good bungie endorse it and it's been out for like 3 years lol

Bungle needs to get the fuck with their app..
Right now it's just a site but I'm think they making a dim app

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Would you go Coldheart over SkyBurners Oath?
For the final encounter, yes- it excels in that fight for a couple of reasons.

For the others, total personal preference between those two, while Merciless may also be a better choice. It depends a bit on the rest of your loadout. They can all perform very well though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
yo Hawkian; read your weapons and and just wanted you opinion on the "Vigilance Wing" I use this gun along with Uriel's Gift and my K/D has greatly improved! that "harsh truths" ability has made me survive some hectic fire fights.
Thx! I should do another post for Exotics once I have them all. I've wanted a Vigilance Wing since day 1 (my fave weapon in Titanfall was the Hemlok which was also a 5 round burst) but no dice yet. I wannit

FinKL

Watching the GB raid stream now. This doesn't look fun at all. Just so much to repeat if you fuck up at the end.

So like every video game ever made?

I don't remember a game where if you got a boss to 1% and die, the game magically restarts you at the boss at 1%

It's frustrating to wipe over and over, but once everything clicks it's such a good feeling

f@luS

More than a member.
I can confirm these 300-305 engram works. Just got the vendor on io with 300 engram. Used 100 token more or less. Got 3 weapon one armor @ 305. Need to check these more

Kyrios

It seems that merging a legendary with an Exotic makes bigger gains than just legendary + legendary.

If this really is true, I have a 288 legendary chest armor and a 277 Exotic. Would merging the legendary into the Exotic give me more than 288 in the end?

Olengie

You and me both. Basically stunned there isn't one.

I am secretly sanguine for a Black Spindle-esque hidden challenge to get one that hasn't yet been discovered. But more likely one will come in Dec. with the Osiris expansion.

this! luckily i got the raid sword at 300 and put a +5 modifier on it

Just looking forward to it. Would be disappointed if it didn't become a thing.

Things such as a sword made out of Vex or Servitor parts would be neat imo.

It seems that merging a legendary with an Exotic makes bigger gains than just legendary + legendary.

If this really is true, I have a 288 legendary chest armor and a 277 Exotic. Would merging the legendary into the Exotic give me more than 288 in the end?

Infusing doesn't take into account mods. It just looks at base power level. All exotics have a +5 PL mod on them. So that's why there's an "extra" gain.

So in your example, infusing a 277 (which is really 272+5) exotic with a 288 legendary would give you 288 + 5 exotic.

No you good bungie endorse it and it's been out for like 3 years lol

Bungle needs to get the fuck with their app..
Right now it's just a site but I'm think they making a dim app

Destiny's app does have inventory features. And they actually don't have a site for it anymore.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

if you DONT have a mod on your Legendary Chest, your exotic will become 293 thanks to that mod in that exotic chest.

If you do have a mod on your legendary chest, it will be 288 because it only infuses up to the base power of the legendary.

Top Bottom