• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 |OT3| The Token King

So in Destiny 1 was iron banner like a monthly thing? Have had 0 time to play this week, this is where weekly events kinda suck sometimes.

Cornbread78

The first Newb raid kicks off tonight with Tommy-tea and Magic-Mike leading their team through Leviathan in a few hours, so I wanted to make sure the rest of the "Newb Raid" schedule was posted as well.

*the names below are all the PSN names, for voice chat and fire-team formation

Thursday night (10/12)
*Starts at 8pm bst sharp.

Sherpas:
Tommy-cronin
MrMikeh

Newbs:
Silav101
Guppeth
Number45
Greenymac

Friday night (10/13):
*9pm EST/6pm PST

Sherpas:
-
- NeoNightmare

Newbs:
- Japanmanx3
- LooneyLMD
- ArkkAngel007
- Alfebit

Saturday (10/14):
Noob Raid 10pm EST/7pm PST

Sherpas:
- Pandora012
- Wiesga01

Newbs:
- Badgerst
- Hunter8472
- ori0n378e
-

Sunday, 10/15 (full)
*Starts at 7:00pm bst sharp. (NA Folks: 2pm EST/11am PST)

Group#1:
Sherpas:
Talos_Ai
JJShadow

Newbs:
- ThatGuyFern
- Samphire
- Sengar
- Keltin99

Group#2
Sherpas:
Ruthless_Barbarian
Balphon

Newbs:
- Mazzbags
- Dark1421
- Hugstable
- Moridhin

Here is a great video to watch as pre-work for the raid. It will help if you have a base knowledge of what is to come. Trust me, it is still surprising to play through it yourself at full speed, lol.

https://youtu.be/OzkxpLkEkfE

I can't thank these guys enough for stepping up to lead these guys into the raid. Hawkian doesn't have time to get to everyone, so for other in the DGAF community to pitch in and help out is a big commodity for everyone and will help lead to a better overall community showing for the game.

Thank you very much sherpas for ypur time and leadership!

MaRUiI3.gif

Detective

Leveling up on IB is a complete joke really.
Got the helmet 3 times
The SM 3 times
2 Autos
2 Pulse

And a bunch of stuff from other factions.
What were they thinking including stuff from other factions really?

v1perz53

Wow, really? One of today's IB challenges is "kill a guardian in their super"? So you're telling me I get basically 4 chances per game to get this done, assuming the person actually has a roaming super (so if the team is all Void locks and Nightstalkers you can't even attempt it), that I happen to be near them when they use their super, and that I have to not be caught in the initial activation and somehow kill them? Should I just leave any game that doesn't have an enemy team mostly comprised of arc subclasses with a sprinkling of dawnblade or sentinel? (since I'm certainly not likely to kill a golden gun hunter)

Wouldn't be so annoying if the daily Milestone wasn't far and away the best way to get tokens, and that it requires exactly all 3 challenges be done today that don't reset in any way...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0uI-KZnD70

Well there it is

High Cal Rounds arent as broken as we all thought

Flinch is just a thing

Explosive rounds are legit though!

One of the major issues with High Caliber Rounds is that the flinch is random, which wasn't portrayed well in his testing. This actually makes it MORE powerful than something with constant flinch, since you can't play around it, you'll be surprised when you flinch instead of just expecting a flinch every shot. HCR are dumb because, as said by people in a recent interview, the outcome of a match between 2 people with MIDA of equal skill is entirely determined by how lucky they get with HCR flinch procs.

And saying you hope they patch it so player like me takes hours to finish it is so arrogant and laughable since you had no idea how we play.

I don't think they care how you play, that statement just shows that they are a douchebag. Wanting other people to have a harder time in PvE content that doesn't impact them in any way is one of the saddest statements anyone can make. Wanting the bug fixed is one thing, but actively saying "I hope people who used this bug now take HOURS to finish the raid!" just proves they are a shitty person. Think I'm done talking about it though, they'll never change their shitty opinion.

ZeoVGM

Banned
They really need to add in post-game drops.

And for the love of all that is good, they need to quickly get the hell rid of this AWFUL "rotating 300 PL vendor" nonsense.

If your character hits 305, every single vendor engram, legendary and exotic should drop at 300 for that specific character. Nothing less.

Detective

I don't think they care how you play, that statement just shows that they are a douchebag. Wanting other people to have a harder time in PvE content that doesn't impact them in any way is one of the saddest statements anyone can make. Wanting the bug fixed is one thing, but actively saying "I hope people who used this bug now take HOURS to finish the raid!" just proves they are a shitty person. Think I'm done talking about it though, they'll never change their shitty opinion.

We have completed the raid over 20 times or more the regular way, Takes us approximately one hours or so, we just found out about the glitch yesterday and wanted to try it for fun. It doesn’t save much but it was fun. That was the point.

So that statement was really stupid, childish, and laughable since we never used it before.

But as you said. We will leave it at that.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
October 15th - 1:00PM EST - Weekly Newbie Raid - Leviathan (Normal)

Sign-up form is open now for the first weekly newbie raid, Sunday the 15th. I'll do another during the week sometime prior to the 21st, and then I'm out of town til the 30th, at which point they'll resume weekly!

As always these are open to anyone but intended for newbies including those that have no experience or foreknowledge of the raid at all. Note that while I have run a couple groups containing multiple first-timers through now, this will potentially be the first group of all 5 fireteam spots consisting of newbies and a little more patience is asked than newbie raids will require later on. Of course, people who do know the encounters but just haven't done them yet, or anyone who wishes to simply help out is welcome to sign up.

Minimum level is 275, and some more detail is available on the form. These are first come first serve. If you learn that you cannot make it prior to go time, please send me a GAF PM as soon as possible so I can find a replacement. Additionally, send a PM if you don't want to take a slot but just want to be on my list of possible alts.

(5 spots remaining)
So what weapons are really useful in the raid?
Hehe, I actually listed some out in the form above if you want to take a look.

There are a lot of options but some combination of the stuff mentioned at high level is really helpful

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wowwww, thank you for organizing so many runs to help people out too Cornbread!

Two guides is really the smart way to go for this. I think I have a solid methdology for assigning people in every encounter at this point but those runs are likely to be inordinately smoother than mine unless a vet signs up ;)

Should be fun stuff either way.

Greenymac

Sign-up form is open now for the first weekly newbie raid, Sunday the 15th. I'll do another during the week sometime prior to the 21st, and then I'm out of town til the 30th, at which point they'll resume weekly!

As always these are open to anyone but intended for newbies including those that have no experience or foreknowledge of the raid at all. Note that while I have run a couple groups containing multiple first-timers through now, this will potentially be the first group of all 5 fireteam spots consisting of newbies and a little more patience is asked than newbie raids will require later on. Of course, people who do know the encounters but just haven't done them yet, or anyone who wishes to simply help out is welcome to sign up.

Minimum level is 275, and some more detail is available on the form. These are first come first serve. If you learn that you cannot make it prior to go time, please send me a GAF PM as soon as possible so I can find a replacement. Additionally, send a PM if you don't want to take a slot but just want to be on my list of possible alts.

(5 spots remaining)

There are a lot of options but some combination of the stuff mentioned at high level is really helpful

Cool, thanks. Howve you been? Have talked to you since the podcast (Mythocast) days!

Wow, really? One of today's IB challenges is "kill a guardian in their super"?

It's actually not that bad. Just counter an enemy super with your own when you see it pop off. Warlock with Nova Bomb. Titan with Smash. Hunter with GG. 1 rocket will drop anyone in super too - most of the time.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Do assists count for that? Energy weapons do significant bonus damage to supers too and teamshooting with them will drop any roaming super quick. When you see/hear an activation that's typically a cue to swap to it and stay alert. High impact fusions can also kill a number of the supers even from full health as well. I'd think that challenge would actually be one that would get completed over time without any extra effort. I guess it depends how many times you have to do it.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Everybody and their mother is swimming in Legendary Shards, I'm approaching 2500 myself soon

Why not have Lord Saladbar have 3 Weapons for the week and 1 Armor Piece for sale
Like every other fucking Iron Banner

Weapons, 30-50 Legendary Shards
Armor, 40 Legendary Shards

The Ranks helped!
Getting to cap evel got you 2 Packages. 1 Armor and 1 Weapon based at Rank 3 and Rank 5.
Then you still had Bounties once completed rewarded you again with chance at Weapon and Armor.
Then every end of a match people had to chance the sake items + whole Loot pool of IB

So your rewarded Triple to Quadruple fold when you did them on other Guardians and the buff pushed you to hit it quicker, earning you rewards quicker

People used to hit Rank 5 on all 3 Guardians within a Day of IB release and still play religiously the whole fucking week chasing drops

Now you just want to get your challenges done on all 3, Rep Bundle bonus and not even play any more, for what purpose

Solo'ers and duos get fucked cause they get matched against full teams
3 + 1 vs full team is manageable, but that's why 6 vs 6 had that advantage, that 2 of your weakest players can be covered by 4 others
Not here, if 2 players are weak, that's Half your fucking team, it's almost a guaranteed loss

Which most will back out of

Why take a trouncing for Tokens when Mercy rules doesn't get applied
Yesterday we LITERALLY HAD a team lay down for us
I was helping other GAFers, we weren't rocking flawless double digit emblems or ### Trials or Crucible wins. We didn't even have all the same Clan tag!

Yet 3 dudes were so tired of the IB no reward, pub stomp, shenanigans, they would drop their guns and try to enact Mercy as quickly as possible
At first all 4 of us were confused, got all 3 flags, they were AFK, one guy moved and played maybe a minute, but even we were shellshocked at what IB was becoming

This isn't some sanctity or my PvP mode is being disgraced, it's a huge underlying issue that Bungie created themselves
This is the same as Crimson Doubles, suicide pact, quicker to reach end game rewards

I stated a few pages back that RoI (return on investment) is what creates longevity in both PvE and PvP

Bungie have horribly with their Tokens and shitastic Rank Packages diluted the Loot process that's now everything earned is a dull mundane thing to receive and achieve

Loot is an ego boost. It's the thing that fires off the synapses like a mild high when you see shiny objects laying on the ground or at the end of a match, reward screen shows up.
It feeds into your need to get stuff, the fuck you got mines harkens in the back of your mind when you receive something really good.

IB with its non rewards and Raid with its non rewards are starting to break that high of receiving stuff for accomplishing encounters
Opening those Huge Raid Chests to be only presented with a Triangle shaped object which will give me 3-7 Tokens isn't refreshing, it's a slap, an insult to your community

Or within one Raid you get the same scout rifle 4 fucking times in a row (I got it at Baths, Gauntlet, Calus, Raid Welfare Engram)
Who in the Blue fuck needs 4 Conspirators back to back
Your telling me 1 hour Raid I just did was literally +12 Legendary Shards and +12 Gunsmith Materials and a few Tokens
While in that one hour I can out earn that by farming my Token Loop on Destinations or Public Events twofold...

Shit is getting absurd

You know what's awesome? Dying to the same guy with a shotgun three times in a row because I kept spawning in front of him. That happened to me last night and it was infuriating.

I also wanted to touch on the Token system again. I didn't mind it at first, but the more that I've been grinding the more I realize that it's wholly unnecessary. There's no reason that this couldn't be a standard reputation system where-in I don't have to interact with the NPC to cash in XP.

The Token system could work, but they need to be used to purchase faction armor and weapons. Let me buy an armor piece for 30 tokens and a bunch of legendary shards. Also, I should be allowed to choose whether or not I want armor or weapons from my rank up packages. Rise of Iron had it spot on, there was no reason to change it.

Foxxsoxx

You know what's awesome? Dying to the same guy with a shotgun three times in a row because I kept spawning in front of him. That happened to me last night and it was infuriating.

Ugh. I remember spawning in on a dude with a sword and he killed me before my spawn animation finished.

GraveRobberX

In 2017!

To steal a catchphrase from Last Week Tonight with John Oliver segments

"HOW'S THIS STILL A THING?"

GraveRobberX

Ugh. I remember spawning in on a dude with a sword and he killed me before my spawn animation finished.

Rockets you get 2
Sniper you get 4
Shotty 4
Fusion I think is 4 too

Why is sword 8?

Why?
Why doubled?

A Nightstalker Hunter with invis can get 8 One Hit kills and by the time that's being done go back cause Heavy will be spawning again and refill

Most don't just swing away, they now tap it at precise moments to protect ammo reserves

You should get 2-4 Whacks, that's all
If 4 ammo, takes 2 hit to kill a Guardian, so if you whiff one, still have 1 left to use

Kind of broken one class can full abuse this and if a team works well with communication that 3rd person camera with Hunters lying in wait with the camera turned, there gonna get easy prey over and over

Everybody and their mother is swimming in Legendary Shards, I'm approaching 2500 myself soon

Why not have Lord Saladbar have 3 Weapons for the week and 1 Armor Piece for sale
Like every other fucking Iron Banner

Weapons, 30-50 Legendary Shards
Armor, 40 Legendary Shards

The Ranks helped!
Getting to cap evel got you 2 Packages. 1 Armor and 1 Weapon based at Rank 3 and Rank 5.
Then you still had Bounties once completed rewarded you again with chance at Weapon and Armor.
Then every end of a match people had to chance the sake items + whole Loot pool of IB

So your rewarded Triple to Quadruple fold when you did them on other Guardians and the buff pushed you to hit it quicker, earning you rewards quicker

People used to hit Rank 5 on all 3 Guardians within a Day of IB release and still play religiously the whole fucking week chasing drops

Now you just want to get your challenges done on all 3, Rep Bundle bonus and not even play any more, for what purpose

Solo'ers and duos get fucked cause they get matched against full teams
3 + 1 vs full team is manageable, but that's why 6 vs 6 had that advantage, that 2 of your weakest players can be covered by 4 others
Not here, if 2 players are weak, that's Half your fucking team, it's almost a guaranteed loss

Which most will back out of

Why take a trouncing for Tokens when Mercy rules doesn't get applied
Yesterday we LITERALLY HAD a team lay down for us
I was helping other GAFers, we weren't rocking flawless double digit emblems or ### Trials or Crucible wins. We didn't even have all the same Clan tag!

Yet 3 dudes were so tired of the IB no reward, pub stomp, shenanigans, they would drop their guns and try to enact Mercy as quickly as possible
At first all 4 of us were confused, got all 3 flags, they were AFK, one guy moved and played maybe a minute, but even we were shellshocked at what IB was becoming

This isn't some sanctity or my PvP mode is being disgraced, it's a huge underlying issue that Bungie created themselves
This is the same as Crimson Doubles, suicide pact, quicker to reach end game rewards

I stated a few pages back that RoI (return on investment) is what creates longevity in both PvE and PvP

Bungie have horribly with their Tokens and shitastic Rank Packages diluted the Loot process that's now everything earned is a dull mundane thing to receive and achieve

Loot is an ego boost. It's the thing that fires off the synapses like a mild high when you see shiny objects laying on the ground or at the end of a match, reward screen shows up.
It feeds into your need to get stuff, the fuck you got mines harkens in the back of your mind when you receive something really good.

IB with its non rewards and Raid with its non rewards are starting to break that high of receiving stuff for accomplishing encounters
Opening those Huge Raid Chests to be only presented with a Triangle shaped object which will give me 3-7 Tokens isn't refreshing, it's a slap, an insult to your community

Or within one Raid you get the same scout rifle 4 fucking times in a row (I got it at Baths, Gauntlet, Calus, Raid Welfare Engram)
Who in the Blue fuck needs 4 Conspirators back to back
Your telling me 1 hour Raid I just did was literally +12 Legendary Shards and +12 Gunsmith Materials and a few Tokens
While in that one hour I can out earn that by farming my Token Loop on Destinations or Public Events twofold...

Shit is getting absurd

To me there is a simple fix that improves the game somewhat while essentially putting the random rolls vs static rolls argument to bed.

Keep their flawed Token system intact for the base gear/weapons (what we have now) but have all the vendors have weekly rotating (perk wise) gear/weapons that anyone can purchase with Legendary Shards (a very similar system to what we had in Year 3 of Destiny). Then have random rolled gear/weapons drop out in the wild as Legendary engrams in any activity. This should literally appease everyone while leaving no one behind.

It also creates variety concerning gear/weapons which is something the current iteration of Destiny 2 sorely needs while at the same time makes duplicates useful as Legendary Shards.

A change like this wouldn't happen until an expansion type update but it definitely needs it.

Edit: I've got about 3,000 LS. At this point everyone must realize that the Shards were initially going to be the central focus on the Economy/Currency system but that changed for some reason. A likely change to the Token system that was implemented as an RNG feature in hopes of creating longevity when it became clear the loot was minuscule in vanilla Destiny 2.

Saint9806

(5 spots remaining)

Just signed up! I just cleared my schedule too!

Mindlog

Things I want to spend Legendary Marks on: Sparrows, Ghosts
Things I would spend a lot of Legendary Marks on: Rerolling Sparrows, Rerolling Ghosts

GraveRobberX

Things I would spend a lot of Legendary Marks on: Rerolling Sparrows, Rerolling Ghosts

I think you can do rerolling on Ghost with Shaxx and the Kill Tracker Ghost for 10 Legendary Shards

Some guy was doing it, went to tell him that those are not free, like how some people here week 1-2 fell for that trap with vendors offering items that look free and insta-bought without realizing they were spending Shards

He said he had enough amount of Shards to burn and get some perks on those ghosts
So YMMV, so there's a small Legendary Shard currency sink at least

I didn't try cause Tess gave me Planet perk ghosts for each Destination and got combo of caches and resources 30M away
So never needed to reroll for anything

Kyne

I will say this, despite the rewards fiasco Iron Banner is the most fun* I've had in PVP since the game came out.

*I always run with a squad of 3-4 IRL friends. Can't speak on behalf of solo play.

SGRX

I would love to be able to reroll perks on sparrows. Then I could at least try to get instant summon on one of the exotics so it was actually worth using.

DarkJC

I will say this, despite the rewards fiasco Iron Banner is the most fun* I've had in PVP since the game came out.

*I always run with a squad of 3-4 IRL friends. Can't speak on behalf of solo play.

Solo is always a toss up but I've had some great comeback moments in IB. It's surprising how quickly the tide turns just by keeping hold of two points for a bit.

Is the mercy rule not in the game anymore?

Nothing like being down 35-5 right at the start and ultimately lose 100-31. Hats off to the people who solo queue this shit.

DarkJC

Is the mercy rule not in the game anymore?

Nothing like being down 35-5 right at the start and ultimately lose 100-31. Hats off to the people who solo queue this shit.

Apparently only at ridiculous thresholds, something like losing 60-10 will trigger it? Whatever the threshold is, it's way too strict.

Mindlog

My Gunsmith rank is over 100 with no Manannan.
I didn't try cause Tess gave me Planet perk ghosts for each Destination and got combo of caches and resources 30M away
So never needed to reroll for anything
That's what I really want. I have the full combo ghost for the EDZ and maybe Nessus, but want one for all. Preferably 3 of each so I'd never have to bother with apps, but one of each will do for now.

I also want an instantspawn exotic sparrow for all of my characters.

Cornbread78

Apparently only at ridiculous thresholds, something like losing 60-10 will trigger it? Whatever the threshold is, it's way too strict.

Hey, what kind of game would it be if the hardcore folks couldn't get in a few mocking tbags and a few "git gud" psn messages before the game is over...

Nothing different than not using skill based matchmaking or offering a winners and losers bracket in Trials. The haves will have and the have nots, well, enjoy your mocking and a$$ kicking.... Gotta make those super cool vids to post.

(5 spots remaining)

Hi Hawkian, is this strictly a newbie guide raid? Or can an experienced guy join too? I've got around half a dozen Calus kills but lately I can't find people to raid with, so I'd love to join you and any newbies who sign up.

Cornbread78

Hi Hawkian, is this strictly a newbie guide raid? Or can an experienced guy join too? I've got around half a dozen Calus kills but lately I can't find people to raid with, so I'd love to join you and any newbies who sign up.

I think he hinted he could use a hand with it, so I'm guessing he would appreciate it!

Last time I saw the mercy called it was during the beta. The VO doesn't help either. 35-5 and still getting crushed and Salad Bar said, "Only Shaxx can call it and he's extremely shy" or whatever the line is, like fuck off and call the game instead of making us waste another 8 minutes of our lives.

Edit: 3/5 engrams give the same exact armor pieces I already have for the character. Fuck this. I'll be back tomorrow.

Top Bottom