• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 |OT3| The Token King

I started playing recently due to Blizzard giving base game for free on PC and so far I'm doing mostly story mode.

I have rather mixed feelings about it so far - generally it's good game (although I preferred art style and climate of D1) but I feel zero incentive to start playing all those side missions just for loot. Another problem is story feels disconnected to D1.

Best aspect is core gameplay as shooting feels very satisfying.

IMHO it would be much better Halo style single player game with multi than service game it is currently.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
I have rather mixed feelings about it so far - generally it's good game (although I preferred art style and climate of D1) but I feel zero incentive to start playing all those side missions just for loot. Another problem is story feels disconnected to D1.

Huh? So much plays off of the lore of D1, though that could be me looking back from knowing what happens in Forsaken.

Ghaul comes to Earth because he was called by the Cabal goons who attacked the Dreadnought.

Chicagavocado

Neo Member
Haven't dove in yet. But saw this article:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insert...first-impression-with-its-power-requirements/

Mr Forbes Dude said:
The first Forge is buried in a new arena in the EDZ, and it’s recommended 610 power. That seemed…interesting, but given that I’m at the current max of 600, it seemed doable. My matchmade fireteam beat the thing with seconds left on the clock, as the arena spawns special enemies you have to kill to increase the timer, and throw the energy orbs they drop at the Forge.

But then there’s a round 2. 625 power enemies. Uhhhh okay. Well, we beat that too, though just by the skin of our teeth. But I knew what was coming next. A boss. 630 power. No more ball throwing. We were getting two-shot by everyone, now 30 below the power level. We got the boss down to maybe 75% health before the two minute clock expired. We failed. The reward, I kid you not, was two tokens (planet mats) and a blue.

and

Mr Forbes Dude said:
Again, I know that this is supposed to be an extension of the current endgame, but it’s also supposed to be an introduction to $35 worth of content, and right now it just slams the door in your face after 40 minutes. It will take many non-streamer, non-pro players a week or so to level enough to beat this first forge in matchmaking, most likely. It will take players who didn’t max out after Forsaken several weeks to do this, because the soft cap has not been raised and you just have to grind out milestones, which apparently, you should have been doing this entire time, or tough luck to you.

Jacknapes

Been on a bit of a break since Forsaken landed, due to the number of other titles launched around the same time. Popped in the other day to see that the Eververse offered a silly salute (aka the Rimmer) on purchase for Bright dust. Of course, i had to buy it.

Ovek

7Member7

Yeah the golden gun update might kill PvP on PC with the hunter super glitch that you can do (as long as you can hit your targets) and true to form Bungie are completely silent on that. The last few remaining people I play with are a tiny bit annoyed at this update as the game has more pressing QoL issues than super rebalancing. I don't really blame them after all this is the first quality of life update since the release of Forsaken and this is all they can come up with a few spreadsheet number tweaks.

They should be churning out updates like this every couple of weeks max not after fours months.

Pryor

I started playing recently due to Blizzard giving base game for free on PC and so far I'm doing mostly story mode.

Best aspect is core game play as shooting feels very satisfying.

IMHO it would be much better Halo style single player game with multi than service game it is currently.

The problem is that the base game isn't a true reflection on the current state of the game with Forsaken. The Forsaken expansion puts the game in the best state it has ever been in where as the base game stays just as stale as it always has been other than some quality of life improvements.

Dthomp

Yeah the golden gun update might kill PvP on PC with the hunter super glitch that you can do (as long as you can hit your targets) and true to form Bungie are completely silent on that. The last few remaining people I play with are a tiny bit annoyed at this update as the game has more pressing QoL issues than super rebalancing. I don't really blame them after all this is the first quality of life update since the release of Forsaken and this is all they can come up with a few spreadsheet number tweaks.

They should be churning out updates like this every couple of weeks max not after fours months.

Oh I completely agree with you, my main play group has basically stopped playing so I still haven't even attempted SOTP. I enjoyed PVP in D1 and I can play it here and there in D2 but like you said there are alot of QOL changes and balancing things that need addressing, but they keep hearing the words Power Fantasy and think it means we want mayhem in every PVP match so they focus on supers and not guns, or abilities (Why would I ever care about Throwing Knives?) and if we are getting nothing but OHKO special weapons then grenade damage should be increased and slow down the recharge on them.

The big thing they said was leaving last gen would allow much quicker updates and sandbox changes and we are still on the one a quarter if we are lucky. At least now without Activision involved people can stop blaming the wrong people and finally hold bungie responsible for this game that they made. I hope they can turn it around, but honestly I don't think there's much they can do to get back even half the people they have lost with this game.

VertigoOA

Banned
With the double glory points both luna’s Howl and recluse are in reach. Hell, maybe even not forgotten.

However... this wizened rebuke iron banner chase is absolutely fucking insane and painful... I’m still gonna try tho and go for Redrix along the way. I’ll likely give up as I don’t care for either weapon really.

Just got pinnacle fusion from Zavala. I always keep a few of those pinnacle bounties for the next season since they’re powerful drops... and that fusion came in handy for the arc burn week in reckoning last week.

I think I still have two to three weeks before I exhaust (myself) with this season’s content. The annual pass is finally starting to become something worthwhile.

PS - I really enjoy d2’s thorn. Wasn’t a fan first game... used last word then but now it’s reversed

Meccs

I finished Forsaken and now I am in the dreaming city and I want to unlock my 2nd and 3rd subclasses. So far I know (no idea why this isn't explained to you in game) that I have to purchase a Tier 2 thing from Petra and use it at the Blind Well. That will start an event where a Seed of Light might drop? But I probably can't do it alone? Will people in the zone get notified if I start the event? How is one supposed to do this?
Also there is never anyone there and it suddenly says it needs a charge of liegt tier III while just yesterday it said I need tier I... I never started it though.

Edit: I did the "slow walk in" thing I found on a Reddit post that was 6 months old and it worked. I loaded into a Blind Well with 2 other people in it and got my Seed for the second unlock. I assume I get the 3rd the same way or do you still need to do the Raid?

Last edited:

Ovek

7Member7
I finished Forsaken and now I am in the dreaming city and I want to unlock my 2nd and 3rd subclasses. So far I know (no idea why this isn't explained to you in game) that I have to purchase a Tier 2 thing from Petra and use it at the Blind Well. That will start an event where a Seed of Light might drop? But I probably can't do it alone? Will people in the zone get notified if I start the event? How is one supposed to do this?
Also there is never anyone there and it suddenly says it needs a charge of liegt tier III while just yesterday it said I need tier I... I never started it though.

Edit: I did the "slow walk in" thing I found on a Reddit post that was 6 months old and it worked. I loaded into a Blind Well with 2 other people in it and got my Seed for the second unlock. I assume I get the 3rd the same way or do you still need to do the Raid?

I don't know if it's changed but you get your second seed when you visit Mara Sov in her throne world which you can only do when the curse of the Dreaming City is at its strongest (every three weeks). To do that you need to buy the "Gateway Between Worlds" bounty from Petra and complete it (you need to go back to the well) and get the "Offering for the Oracle" and take it to the Oracle/Orrery.

Always do the slow walk, it's something you learnt to do in Destiny 1. Thankfully Bungie finally realised that their "on the fly" match making was utter shit and stopped using it for all the subsequent DLC.

Meccs

I am now around LL 650 and stuff that drops is always around 620ish. I thought the soft cap is 500, why does stuff drop that is slightly below my level? This isn't fun imho. And faction rewards are engrams at 630, also below my level. What is the point? I don't get it... Is it to gear alts? And even the prime engrams that should be above my level drop only items that are +1 over my level. It's weird.
Removing drops that increase your level removes quite a bit of the excitement.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
I am now around LL 650 and stuff that drops is always around 620ish. I thought the soft cap is 500, why does stuff drop that is slightly below my level? This isn't fun imho. And faction rewards are engrams at 630, also below my level. What is the point? I don't get it... Is it to gear alts? And even the prime engrams that should be above my level drop only items that are +1 over my level. It's weird.
Removing drops that increase your level removes quite a bit of the excitement.

Soft cap is usually 15 below light level. Only powerful rewards, prime engrams and exotics will increase power level. Only endgame activities drop powerful on weekly reset. You should be able to get to 700 easily.

However... you don’t have to if you don’t want to. I power chase to make sure I have access and can complete all endgame activities I have access too. And post 600 is reallly for annual pass stuff and iron banner.

24hr

Finally got my first exotic helmet, The Stag.

Super happy, its a nice feeling when something good drops.

VertigoOA

Banned
My first exotic drop of forsaken was one eye mask... been using it ever since.

With how it was reworked ... with the shortened wall hack timer to promote more aggressive play, it pairs well with thorn... which also rewards aggressive play as you chase down kill orbs for a damage buff.

Uhtred

My first exotic drop of forsaken was one eye mask... been using it ever since.

With how it was reworked ... with the shortened wall hack timer to promote more aggressive play, it pairs well with thorn... which also rewards aggressive play as you chase down kill orbs for a damage buff.
I've been chasing that god damn exotic long before it was nerfed. :(

VertigoOA

Banned
I finally fucking did it! Luna’s howl is mine. As is recluse.

Did it all in solo queue competitive. The increase in point win and losses made a huge difference.

Fuck, i have to chase not forgotten now.

Luna pretty much feels like trust. I didn’t expect that ... it’s obviously great but I love my new thorn loadout however

Dthomp

DestinyGAF is awfully quiet :messenger_crying:

DestinyGAF, like most other communities died shortly after D2 launch, and those who lasted left after the joke of the annual pass. The game is just hard to stay interested in the way we all did with the first one. I've got almost 40 people in my clan and I'm the only one who logs in (and that's only like once a week or every other). Just nowhere near the content loop that kept me logging in almost daily in D1.

Dthomp

I’m not, the reset board and discord are just about as dead as this places community page. I’m in at least 5 other destiny 2 discord’s and psn community groups and those are all mostly dead, people just aren’t playing this game the way they did 1. I know your a super Bungie supporter but not accepting that this game has been circling the drain is just delusional at this point.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
The game is not a monster. It’s just stil one of the most popular. There’s a far more diverse breadth of huge online games.

I don’t get the point of mentioning discord when Its most active users would be most accurately gauged by its reddit community.

Last edited:

Ovek

7Member7
I would love to chat about D2 but I really have nothing good to say about it.

But to comment on recent D2 news the Bungo forums are currently hilarious filled with “hardcore” player salty tears over the announced Luna and NF nerfs, “whatever will I do without my Luna crutch?” says what I can only imagine is a player who mains a hunter running with a chaperone and spectral blades.

VertigoOA

Banned
Gonna need to see how the nerf actually feels. To be honest, those guns should be as competitive as exotic an handcanon... and I stil think I’m better with thorn but I’ve yet to take it into comp.

I don’t use shotguns. I’ve never used them at any point in D2 crucible. However, been using snipers more and more lately. The forge one was my favorite for the longest time but now I have a snapshot sights and opening shot IB sniper that has been performing way above expectations.

I’d like to see some larger maps for sure.

Also got a subsistence and rangefinder spare rations with high caliber rounds and a stability masterwork that I’ve been meaning to try out.

I actually really enjoy the gambit and reckoning loop. Much more comparatively than something like court of oryx or archon’s forge in D1. I think it strikes a healthy difficulty balance for a matchmade activity.

FUCK HUNTERS

Last edited:

Dthomp

I would love to chat about D2 but I really have nothing good to say about it.

But to comment on recent D2 news the Bungo forums are currently hilarious filled with “hardcore” player salty tears over the announced Luna and NF nerfs, “whatever will I do without my Luna crutch?” says what I can only imagine is a player who mains a hunter running with a chaperone and spectral blades.

I am by no means a great pvp player (1.80 Kda), but I did manage to get a Luna’s solo playing in comp and well used to play all 3 classes, but lack of meaningful or fun content has dropped me to just a hunter for now and the nerf while needed in some capacity, did not need to be this severe. What you will see is most p,Ayers that used these will move to service revolver and other 180s and nothing will change. If player were annoyed with Luna and nf wait til players see how good ace really is. Meta will take a small switch to a different hc but in the meantime they may have just killed comp once and for all like most of pvp in this game.

I’m not, the reset board and discord are just about as dead as this places community page. I’m in at least 5 other destiny 2 discord’s and psn community groups and those are all mostly dead, people just aren’t playing this game the way they did 1. I know your a super Bungie supporter but not accepting that this game has been circling the drain is just delusional at this point.

Posting on a dead forum isn't helping :p

You know where to find the active community ;)

Dthomp

Posting on a dead forum isn't helping :p

You know where to find the active community ;)

I prefer not to associate with anybody that openly enjoys that cesspool of a website. I don’t have to worry bout being called a nazi just for being white here, but continue to ignore what a dump that place is, that’s what most people there do if they don’t want to have to think for themselves

VertigoOA

Banned
I prefer not to associate with anybody that openly enjoys that cesspool of a website. I don’t have to worry bout being called a nazi just for being white here, but continue to ignore what a dump that place is, that’s what most people there do if they don’t want to have to think for themselves

That’s how I felt about this place too before the cleansing... I still read the destiny topics tho. At least community topics kinda stay on point

Dthomp

That’s how I felt about this place too before the cleansing... I still read the destiny topics tho. At least community topics kinda stay on point

That makes sense, since most of the trash is what left to build their new trash utopia over there. Many many discord groups have killed a lot of community boards, which is a shame to me since I would rather have a community like this used to be then the mindless discords which can be a drain to sift through looking for groups

VertigoOA

Banned
Can’t say I use discord ever either...

I’m about to finally unlock arbalest. Revelry sucked for the most part. It made competitive crucible a mess and mostly tanked my ranking (because infinitely invisible hunters).

This attempt on the infinite forest wasn’t as good as the Halloween event one. I don’t hate that they keep reworking the gimmick but meh.

There’s supposed to be a secret quest about breaking into the vault in the old tower. It could drop this week... it could be a situation like whisper of the worm. We shall see. Otherwise there’s still a week or 3 before we hear about the next drop

Last edited:

Dthomp

Can’t say I use discord ever either...

I’m about to finally unlock arbalest. Revelry sucked for the most part. It made competitive crucible a mess and mostly tanked my ranking (because infinitely invisible hunters).

This attempt on the infinite forest wasn’t as good as the Halloween event one. I don’t hate that they keep reworking the gimmick but meh.

There’s supposed to be a secret quest about breaking into the vault in the old tower. It could drop this week... it could be a situation like whisper of the worm. We shall see. Otherwise there’s still a week or 3 before we hear about the next drop

I’ve been wanting to get back into pvp but the meta for me is awful..well maybe it’s more the map design that I personally hate. Revelry was just not fun for me, I played a few games of sweaty made banner and I still can’t stand d2 banner after loving it in d1.

I liked this Forrest better then the Halloween one, but it’s mainly because it was easier on my eyes. I think the whole event structure they use just isn’t fun, but I don’t have any better idea for it since I think there are many more important issues they need to focus on.

I’m not looking forward to the tons of arbolest that will soon be a top pvp weapon, or the service revolver meta that’s on the horizon, but I need some type of pvp activity for the time being.

I was referring to the discord but whatever.

VertigoOA

Banned
Outbreak Perfected mission is nuts. I want that gun tho. They really did keep this one secret like whisper too. Cool stuff

I love these whisper and shattered throne dungeons... but the whisper and now the outbreak prime are tough as hell.

Jumping puzzles are fun tho. I know people hate them but usually some of my favorite parts of raiding. This maze is nuts tho.

A bunch of new Exotic catalysts got introduced into the database too but that’s probably for next season

Last edited:

Dthomp

Not sure I see the point of OP having a catalyst other then to have one. Was needed for yr 1 guns that were not exotic enough, but OP is strong at everything, and it needs more?

Ovek

7Member7
Lookie what came in the mail today... I have no idea why I thought it was a good idea to give Bungo even more money but here it is.

RAVmUwJ.jpg

The new outbreak mission is great it does verge on being a little too difficult for the average player though and seems very much geared to a shock to no one streamers like Gladd. Saying that though after a couple of attempts I managed to two man it. Now on to the heroic version :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Not sure I see the point of OP having a catalyst other then to have one. Was needed for yr 1 guns that were not exotic enough, but OP is strong at everything, and it needs more?

OP will ridiculous with it's catalyst, but Bungo is letting people have their fun for a few months before they unceremoniously nerf it in to the ground with the September DLC.

Last edited:

Dthomp

Lookie what came in the mail today... I have no idea why I thought it was a good idea to give Bungo even more money but here it is.

RAVmUwJ.jpg

The new outbreak mission is great it does verge on being a little too difficult for the average player though and seems very much geared to a shock to no one streamers like Gladd. Saying that though after a couple of attempts I managed to two man it. Now on to the heroic version :messenger_grinning_sweat:

OP will ridiculous with it's catalyst, but Bungo is letting people have their fun for a few months before they unceremoniously nerf it in to the ground with the September DLC.

I haven't used it in PVP, but the videos that I've seen, there is no way this gun doesn't get nerfed. It's a lazer with scout rifle range and in insane TTK.

VertigoOA

Banned
I missed the first two days of outbreak runs. I was fucking around solo in the mission. I need to do it tonight. Also need to practice using lion ramparts again... last time I used them was whisper...

Ugh I didn want to raid all this time in D2. And now I want to.

Game needs a duty finder

Last edited:

Ovek

7Member7
I haven't used it in PVP, but the videos that I've seen, there is no way this gun doesn't get nerfed. It's a lazer with scout rifle range and in insane TTK.

It is a laser and you might get a couple of cheap double kills with the homing Siva blobs but people with other pulse rifles like bygones and blast furnace (IMO a god rolled BF is better) can still compete and you still have a high chance of loosing at closer range against something like the ace hand cannon.

That could just be a PC thing though as the meta has always been way looser rather than console.

One thing the OP does have above all other pulse rifles is a significantly higher auto aim lock on, in PVE even on PC you can see it snapping and tracking. If one thing is going to get nerfed it will be that.

Also need to practice using lion ramparts again... last time I used them was whisper...

The Titan I two manned it with never needed them.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
It is a laser and you might get a couple of cheap double kills with the homing Siva blobs but people with other pulse rifles like bygones and blast furnace (IMO a god rolled BF is better) can still compete and you still have a high chance of loosing at closer range against something like the ace hand cannon.

That could just be a PC thing though as the meta has always been way looser rather than console.

One thing the OP does have above all other pulse rifles is a significantly higher auto aim lock on, in PVE even on PC you can see it snapping and tracking. If one thing is going to get nerfed it will be that.

The Titan I two manned it with never needed them.

You don’t need them. I usually don’t but I’ll put on the safeties.

Ran it like 10x last night. Got it down. Unfortunately the team I was with... both of them had mic issues...

Waiting in the maze is basically

IdenticalSlushyBarnacle-small.gif

All the sound effects and art direction is empire strikes back tho.

They’re definitely huge lucas fans at Bungie

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of jumping puzzles, but this is the best content we've had in a long time. This is what an exotic quest should be, not the laundry list of the thorn, last word, and izanagi's burden quests.

Outbreak Perfected mission is nuts. I want that gun tho. They really did keep this one secret like whisper too. Cool stuff

I love these whisper and shattered throne dungeons... but the whisper and now the outbreak prime are tough as hell.

Jumping puzzles are fun tho. I know people hate them but usually some of my favorite parts of raiding. This maze is nuts tho.

A bunch of new Exotic catalysts got introduced into the database too but that’s probably for next season

Ovek

7Member7
Tried the Zero Hour code entry "puzzle" last night and still managed to fuck it up even using one of the online decoders. Apparently blasting through max level enemies whilst switching weapons and doing a the jumping stuff is easy, however reading two codes three at most then putting them in to a decoder and pushing a button is an insurmountable task. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Dthomp

Tried the Zero Hour code entry "puzzle" last night and still managed to fuck it up even using one of the online decoders. Apparently blasting through max level enemies whilst switching weapons and doing a the jumping stuff is easy, however reading two codes three at most then putting them in to a decoder and pushing a button is an insurmountable task. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I’m likely in the minority, but these are the kinds of puzzles I do not enjoy being in the game. Anything that requires me to have another device to put in inputs that are nowhere in game is dumb imo. Stuff like that sequence are inserted with the idea of increasing streaming numbers on twitch cause they still believe that twitch streamers can help their sales at this point. Regular and the heroic are more then enough, having the sequence puzzle to unlock a ship and get the catalyst quicker is just unnecessary to me.

Top Bottom