• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 PC Beta Thread - Codes are redeemable, preload starts Friday 25th, 10AM PDT

TitusTroy

for the Warlord Phoenix Dive:

Hold Circle/B while midair to quickly descend and restore your health. While Daybreak is active, Descend causes explosive damage

what key is that on kb/m?...movement down?...what action is that mapped to?

Ark

I'm gonna be on PS4 and decided to try it on PC... now I dont even want to ps4 it anymore but since the clan is on PS4, I guess that's where i'm at anyway :D

Crazy pretty and responsive.

It's clearly going to be the superior version of Destiny 2. I can't wait for the PC release, but I may just end up double-dipping and buying it on PS4 too, just because I'm not sure I can hold out for 6 weeks while everyone else is playing it.

We still have a few hours until it goes down right?

I ended up falling asleep while it was downloading last night....

Another 10 or so hours until the beta goes down, I believe.

feel

I think they artificially make some of the hits not be critical (yellow damage numbers) if firing without using ADS, because multiple times now I've shot at point blank with the enemy's crit area covering more than the reticule and the damage feedback coming from the center of it, and white numbers popped up. That sucks if true, I want to shoot "from the hip" as much as possible from mid to close ranges so the gunplay is more fun like in all my fav games (old halo, csgo, overwatch, etc) even if it costs me some precision. Bungie chasing the COD crowd with that and sprinting is one of gaming's biggest disappointments for me.

Ark

The game just performs incredibly well. Bungie still knows how to develop for computers it seems after so many years on consoles.

I'm absolutely blown away by how good the PC version is. It isn't just a good port, it's one of the best-made PC games of the year, to be honest.

That is if the full game is as smooth as the beta, of course.

kami_sama

Ah. Well they did an awesome job so far. Only thing seemingly broken in this beta is MSAA. Otherwise it looks and performs great.

Well, notebook support is also borked.
I have to play in Windowed mode, if I play in fullscreen it uses the integrated graphics and it just can't function correctly.

So while waiting for the PC release I was wondering; is it still a good idea to buy the rise of iron expansion for 30 euros on PSN? Never played that expansion but I don't know if there are any players.

Have never done any raids at all in destiny 1 due to lack of players

So while waiting for the PC release I was wondering; is it still a good idea to buy the rise of iron expansion for 30 euros on PSN? Never played that expansion but I don't know if there are any players.

There was a huge amount of people doing Raids up until recently. That said I would probably hold off on buying ROI at this point as D2 is straight up right around the corner.

The only question at this point is to jump in on console to get a head start on D2 or just wait for the (superior by far) PC version to release in October. Either way I'd hold off on buying D1 content at this point

Console players will move to Destiny 2 in 6 days, it's probably not worth it now.

It's clearly going to be the superior version of Destiny 2. I can't wait for the PC release, but I may just end up double-dipping and buying it on PS4 too, just because I'm not sure I can hold out for 6 weeks while everyone else is playing it.

Another 10 or so hours until the beta goes down, I believe.

Imagine a world where progression is shared among platforms. Just one wee little account. Play on PS4, unlock that shit on PC.

Skeletron

It's not as extensive as TTK but it's good. If you wind up getting it I'm down to do the raids. Would be fun to get a group of newbies together before D2. I've only done Vault of Glass and Crota's End once, guided through by dudes who'd already done it a million times before. Still gotta do the RoI raid. Join the GAF discord and add me Psn = Traxus12

It's not as extensive as TTK but it's good. If you wind up getting it I'm down to do the raids. Would be fun to get a group of newbies together before D2. I've only done Vault of Glass and Crota's End once, guided through by dudes who'd already done it a million times before. Still gotta do the RoI raid. Join the GAF discord and add me Psn = Traxus12

Oh man you haven't done Wrath of the Machine Raid yet? That shit is crazy difficult on Hard Mode.

Yeah if anyone is wanting to due a play-through of of the Raid before D2 launches I'd be down to help on PS4

Pjsprojects

Done all raids at least once,defo down for any raids.
PSN,Xlive,Blizzard & Discord = PJsprojects

Skeletron

Nice^^^

Oh man you haven't done Wrath of the Machine Raid yet? That shit is crazy difficult on Hard Mode.

Yeah if anyone is wanting to due a play-through of of the Raid before D2 launches I'd be down to help on PS4
Yeah dude! Would be cool to get something together before D2 hits next week. I'll be down for any of the raids.

Thanks for the replies guys!
I don't have lots of time before des2 launches on ps4, working this weekend. So only have today and tomorrow from Europe. Would make little sense to buy the expansion then.
I do have all the expansions up to rise of iron, just not that part. I would be down to play some older raids with you guys.

My PSN (and everything else) is Eduardboon

I am kind of in the same boat as you but on the XB1/360 side. I just did my first Nightfall strike LAST WEEK. That is not a typo, last week. Still need to do four more of those for the book stuff. I also need to do the 3rd Raid (KF) on the 360, and the last two raids (KF and WOTM) on the XB1. I watched a WOTM play through and that gets nuts several times... I would definitely need hand holding for these runs heh.

I am enjoying the Beta because I know this is it until I see how it all pans out with their post launch content. But I still have Destiny 1 to run into the ground until then.

commissar

Oof, this intro thing fell so flat for me. Hopefully it's more like the russian rusty zone of D1, and less bad corridors and shit music. Genuinely surprised how uninteresting the combat was, and how zzz the guns were.
I remember Destiny 1 feeling better than this :/

Looks and runs really nicely though.

Lumine

I'm not sure if this is actually the right thread.
I just played an hour of the open beta on PC. I never played the first one so I was keen to see what the game is like.
Holy crap that was underwhelming. I realize that the opening mission in a mmo-ish game might not be entirely fair to judge the whole game on, but I doubt I'll ever pick this up.
The uninspired writing about your typical obnoxious heroic nonsense that every other game forces down your throat. The auto-aiming, weak-feeling guns and having uninteresting skills on really long cooldown timers. Lack of level design, it seems like it's just a bunch of corridors so far. I haven't seen enough but I highly doubt this will have large open mmo-like area's later on. Or even just tightly designed levels.
I suppose the game will becomes a lot more fun when you can regularly play it with friends but even then the core game doesn't seem like it's all that good. So what am I missing here? What's the appeal? Perhaps I went into this with the wrong mindset. I won't mind giving it another shot. Perhaps see the game in the right light before making up my mind. At this point though I doubt I'll feel any different about it.

I just played an hour of the open beta on PC. I never played the first one so I was keen to see what the game is like.
Holy crap that was underwhelming. I realize that the opening mission in a mmo-ish game might not be entirely fair to judge the whole game on, but I doubt I'll ever pick this up.
The uninspired writing about your typical obnoxious heroic nonsense that every other game forces down your throat. The auto-aiming, weak-feeling guns and having uninteresting skills on really long cooldown timers. Lack of level design, it seems like it's just a bunch of corridors so far. I haven't seen enough but I highly doubt this will have large open mmo-like area's later on. Or even just tightly designed levels.
I suppose the game will becomes a lot more fun when you can regularly play it with friends but even then the core game doesn't seem like it's all that good. So what am I missing here? What's the appeal? Perhaps I went into this with the wrong mindset. I won't mind giving it another shot. Perhaps see the game in the right light before making up my mind. At this point though I doubt I'll feel any different about it.

But it does, 4 of them actually. The beta is an extremely poor example of what the game actually is and how will it play out. It is mostly targeted at Destiny 1 players who want to get a hang on new mechanics.

You should really try the strike.

I am kind of in the same boat as you but on the XB1/360 side. I just did my first Nightfall strike LAST WEEK. That is not a typo, last week. Still need to do four more of those for the book stuff. I also need to do the 3rd Raid (KF) on the 360, and the last two raids (KF and WOTM) on the XB1. I watched a WOTM play through and that gets nuts several times... I would definitely need hand holding for these runs heh.

I am enjoying the Beta because I know this is it until I see how it all pans out with their post launch content. But I still have Destiny 1 to run into the ground until then.

I have been trying to do strikes all day. Legacy and Heroic strikes are dead on ps4. Can't find any players at all. The social hubs and TDM are full though. But no one on PvE it seems (or is this all locked behind RiO or something?)

I have been trying to do strikes all day. Legacy and Heroic strikes are dead on ps4. Can't find any players at all. The social hubs and TDM are full though. But no one on PvE it seems (or is this all locked behind RiO or something?)

Endgame activities are locked behind the newest expansion. TTK endgame matchmaking is totally dead.

Endgame activities are locked behind the newest expansion. TTK endgame matchmaking is totally dead.

So even Heroic and Legacy playlists are split off between RiO owners and TTK-owners? That is kinda annoying I guess. I'll be buying the expansions for Des2 a whole bit sooner then.

So even Heroic and Legacy playlists are split off between RiO owners and TTK-owners? That is kinda annoying I guess. I'll be buying the expansions for Des2 a whole bit sooner then.

It is basically the MMO model. If you want to have a full experience, the only way is always having the newest stuff.

After playing another round on PC and looking past how smooth everything is--recoil needs a complete overhaul on the platform.

Every gun is a laser. And when every gun is a laser there's no reason to even look at the nodes in your gun. You lose a sense of originality or depth to the loot experience. On console, favorable weapons were desperately analyzed for an edge. I think meta weapons will exist on the PC, but if recoil isn't changed, I think weapon differences within their type will be largely minimized.

Does anyone have an isssue with the splash screens at the start being suuuuper loud?

I use headphones because: I'm deaf in one ear and also doesn't disturb people, but the startup of the game is stupidly loud to me. In game I have the settings turned down to 3 or 4 (6 is default iirc) and its better...but a tad quiet in game, or just the mix is flat - i'm not sure.

Is this something anyone has noticed or is it just me and my headphones? : /

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i think i'm done with the beta now. played the strike enough times. not the biggest fan of crucible...not because i think it's bad or that i just suck at pvp :)

now the long wait for 24th october begins. i was always going to buy the game but just was never sure if i should get it on PS4 or PC. definitely going for PC.

WGMBY

i think i'm done with the beta now. played the strike enough times. not the biggest fan of crucible...not because i think it's bad or that i just suck at pvp :)

now the long wait for 24th october begins. i was always going to buy the game but just was never sure if i should get it on PS4 or PC. definitely going for PC.
Same here. The next two months-ish are going to be painful while all my PS4 friends play through the campaign.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Does anyone have an isssue with the splash screens at the start being suuuuper loud?

I use headphones because: I'm deaf in one ear and also doesn't disturb people, but the startup of the game is stupidly loud to me. In game I have the settings turned down to 3 or 4 (6 is default iirc) and its better...but a tad quiet in game, or just the mix is flat - i'm not sure.

Is this something anyone has noticed or is it just me and my headphones? : /
Game don't seem to adjust for your volume settings in game before it loads the character screen.

Whooter

Same here. Although, if I can pick up a used copy of D2 from someone that buys and decides they don't like it, I may double-dip to hold me over...

-MD-

So the beta is just a single mission and a couple pvp maps?

Honestly one of the least satisfying shooters I've played in awhile, probably gonna skip this one.

matmanx1

I came in to this beta very unsure if I would actually keep my pre-order or not. Having put over 500 hours into D1 on the PS4 I figured it would be more of the same with better graphics and it pretty much is exactly that.

But wow oh wow is it pretty. And since I enjoyed the gamplay so much in Destiny 1 having more of the same with new areas, better graphics and a higher framerate is actually sounding good to me.

I checked out the new social area in the EDZ and ran the Strike once, just to say that I had done it. The EDZ social area is really nice and the Strike was actually quite fun. Again, the overall ambiance created by the gorgeous graphics with nice music and FX goes a long way towards making this a nice place to spend time.

Hopefully the final product ends up being just as good and compelling.

grimmiq

Damn it. I was sure I was going to just get the PS4 version..Now I'm tempted to double dip, looks so damn pretty and I'd much rather play on m+kb.

Mupod

I mentioned this in the PC performance thread, but I am absolutely flabbergasted that my friend's PC can run this just fine. He has an i5 750 and an ATI 5770, it was a pretty good PC...in 2010. There is some kind of space magic involved here. The game runs better than WoW does for him, lol.

Did a bunch of Crucible last night and the same annoying problem I had with the first game kept arising...when your team is REALLY bad and won't stick together the spawn system gets all fucked up. In a small map it's even worse. Literally dropping me in the middle of 3 enemies or respawning them behind me right after I kill someone and have no shields left. Got a lot of use out of healing rift because of this.

Still dunno what class I want to play, I don't like Dongblade as much as Sunsinger but I have no idea what it'll be like in the final game with exotics and such. If Sunbreaker really is back then I'll probably go Titan.

Dec

I mentioned this in the PC performance thread, but I am absolutely flabbergasted that my friend's PC can run this just fine. He has an i5 750 and an ATI 5770, it was a pretty good PC...in 2010. There is some kind of space magic involved here. The game runs better than WoW does for him, lol.

Did a bunch of Crucible last night and the same annoying problem I had with the first game kept arising...when your team is REALLY bad and won't stick together the spawn system gets all fucked up. In a small map it's even worse. Literally dropping me in the middle of 3 enemies or respawning them behind me right after I kill someone and have no shields left. Got a lot of use out of healing rift because of this.

Still dunno what class I want to play, I don't like Dongblade as much as Sunsinger but I have no idea what it'll be like in the final game with exotics and such. If Sunbreaker really is back then I'll probably go Titan.

A fellow Lynnfield user!

Mine is a bit better, with the i7 860. I fall below 60 in a handful of places, and it is certainly CPU bound in those cases but overall it performs really well considering. Though my GPU is a 970.

Not bad at all for a 7 year old CPU.

Top Bottom