• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Reveal Info Summary Thread: Trailers, Videos, Details, Screens, More

The Cabal are doing some heinous shit in this game, that's for sure.

But the fact that they look like giant ninja turtles kinda undermines the threat factor.

Yes.

The only thing I'm not looking forward to is having an entire year based around the Cabal. Easily the least interesting race in Destiny.

Yes.

The only thing I'm not looking forward to is having an entire year based around the Cabal. Easily the least interesting race in Destiny.

But the only one suitable to face in a war campaign. None of the other races have the sheer numbers and coordination to come to our home and wreck our faces.

jmartoine

They are also the most underutilized race. So far we have Vault of Glass which is about the Vex, Crota's End and King's Fall for the Hive and Prison of Elders and Wrath of the Machine for the Fallen.

About time the Cabal got some love to actually develop them as a race as they have been left behind compared to the others.

Nydius

Yes.

Only because they got really short shrift. Every enemy faction had the barest of backstories but the Cabal felt like an afterthought in the first game. E: Vex was the core of the original game's late and end game. Hive got a year 1 expansion and a full year 2 expansion. Fallen got a year 1 expansion and a full year 3 expansion. Cabal, for being a race that "destroys planets just for getting in their way" got... Phobos and a crashed ship on the Dreadnaught.

I'm looking forward to giving the Cabal some time in the spotlight.

Yes.

To be fair, the DLC and eventual expansion will let the other races shine.

And I suspect the Vex and Fallen are up to their own schenaneigans. Maybe the rumor of the Prince teaming up with the Fallen are true, for example. And the Vex seem to have heavy presence on Nessus.

Lasty95

Yes.

Narratively, but I'm sure we'll be scrapping with all the races very early on.

Bungie's thing is 3 way fights, so expect the Cabal fighting Fallen in EDZ, the Hive in space etc.

Bold One

Looking back at the Lore comments, and some of the concerns raised by Lore focused Youtubers, I do hope that we still can find longer written pieces within the world or audio logs and such. There's a lot of stories, characters, and history in the Grimoire that I can't see fitting organically into a side quest.

Yeah, as a lore fan, I hope the folks at Bungie made the right decision, but boy, is Byf pissed off
mjlol.png

Jblanks

N5gVtUb_d.jpg

Speculation on unannounced locations on reddit.

Mercury seems a natural inclusion, even if only for one or two missions. Fighting on a shattered planet feels like a Final Boss situation.
Crucible and strike play list probably for the top left ones.

So weird seeing a huge Jupiter there but you can't do anything on it.

anothertech

In the endless list of potential supers I just don't see why they took out a unique super for a reskin of an existing one, especially if it ends up returning.
Ya, I think they just knew they had to replace bubble and res to even things out.

Fire is the golden gun/throw hammers/swords kill everything super. Storm is the staff/stomp/palpatine super, Void is the shield/bomb/bow super. They're all mostly attacks now which makes them more even.

But ya. They could tweak the Titans fire to a massive swinging hammer/axe. That would be epic and change it up a bit.

Tomeru

I'm glad that the Cabal are a priority threat now. Fighting them was always stressful (somewhat), and now they'll be even deadlier? Heck yeah, I'm all in for the ride. Let the Hive and Fallen rest. I just hope for a big expansion with the Vex, or even better - the Awoken.

Mara Sov needs to come back!

Waldini

The only thing that is negative to me is the way they simplified Destiny 1. I hate the simple supers and not having the choice to "customise" your character.

Jblanks

Well, I guess they want to convey a certain sense of scale. But doing stuff 'on' a gas giant would have been kinda hard :p
Well yea I know, I just found it weird. And I mean it's a science fiction game, they could make landing/going to Jupiter legit if they really wanted to.

everyer

I'm glad that the Cabal are a priority threat now. Fighting them was always stressful (somewhat), and now they'll be even deadlier? Heck yeah, I'm all in for the ride. Let the Hive and Fallen rest. I just hope for a big expansion with the Vex, or even better - the Awoken.

I still remember the Shield Brothers with solar burn nf....

TAT

jadedm17

The Cabal are doing some heinous shit in this game, that's for sure.

But the fact that they look like giant ninja turtles kinda undermines the threat factor.

I always thought those weird business types from Hitchhikers Guide but I equally support this post. Lol

60XVXO9.jpg

Vex were my favorite but I'll second enjoying a more intense Cabal; They were always fun to kill

I dusted off my copy of vanilla Destiny on PS3 ( I am one of those dudes that were super disappointed on launch and stopped playing after a week or so). Finished the story (retrieve a gate key thing and then the black gardens). It still feels like a barely coherent mess story wise but the shooting is so damn satisfying, I'm actually getting hype for Destiny 2 now. My favorite memory of Destiny is landing on the first zone (Cosmodrome I think?) wandering in it, finding tunneling caves full of hive dudes or hidden treasure chests or stumbling on public events. I hope they improve on the exploration aspect and make it rewarding with lots of cool things to find.

ocean

Banned
The only thing that is negative to me is the way they simplified Destiny 1. I hate the simple supers and not having the choice to "customise" your character.
If you mean character abilities being "sets" instead of a true customizable mix and match... I think ultimately this will provide more variety since optimal Loadouts will be more situational. Whereas "fully customizable" in D1 has kind of meant "there's a single set of perks everybody runs".

Like, for a full year PvP was dominated by Blade Dancers running Arc Bolt, QuickDraw, Backstad, Hungering Blade, max armor and blink. Just a carbon-copied exact same pero tree for everybody.

With perk "sets" I expect getting a really strong perk will carry the trade off of not equipping another great perk simultaneously because it's in another set...so you'd be more likely to play around. We'll see how it works but that's my take on it based on the previews

nOoblet16

Yes.

I think that's because we saw so little of them in Destiny. The only time they go involved a bit in the story was during TTK and the little involvement they had was still good.

Also it's not going to be an entire year, we are getting DLC1 in winter and DLC2 around april-may 2018.

nOoblet16

I always thought those weird business types from Hitchhikers Guide but I equally support this post. Lol

60XVXO9.jpg

Vex were my favorite but I'll second enjoying a more intense Cabal; They were always fun to kill
Vex are my favourite aesthetically (bother the enemy design and their architecture) but least fun to fight because for me due to their stupid crit spot, and the minotaurs don't even have a crit spot plus they charge at you full speed after receiving enough damage. The hobgoblins are annoying too because unlike other enemies with a pull up shield, these guys have a high damage hitscan weapon that they can use immediately after putting their solar shield down...so you have to really aim and wait it out unlike something like the boomer knight who has a slow projectile.

nOoblet16

Crucible and strike play list probably for the top left ones.

So weird seeing a huge Jupiter there but you can't do anything on it.
You know Jupiter is a gas planet without any surface right ? No surface = nothing to terraform for the traveler. There is a reason sci fi stories pick Titan, Europa and IO instead of Jupiter and Saturn.

You know Jupiter is a gas planet without any surface right ? No surface = nothing to terraform for the traveler. There is a reason sci fi stories pick Titan, Europa and IO instead of Jupiter and Saturn.

I mean, it is sci-fi. Finding some way to make it work on Jupiter itself isn't any less plausible than terraforming IO in the first place.

Nauren

I mean, it is sci-fi. Finding some way to make it work on Jupiter itself isn't any less plausible than terraforming IO in the first place.

Terraforming a planetoid is hypothetically possible and even has been extensively researched. Walking on Jupiter is just making things up. It would be difficult, at least for me personally, to suspend disbelief that far.

The plot that I think Bungie most needs to explore and explain is Randall the Vandal. I fully expect him to be leading the Fallen this in D2.

Terraforming a planetoid is hypothetically possible and even has been extensively researched. Walking on Jupiter is just making things up. It would be difficult, at least for me personally, to suspend disbelief that far.

yAk0n8U.gif

Destiny already asks for a ton of suspension of disbelief on your part. I find it interesting that terraforming the moon, faster than light travel, and all the rest are any less plausible than standing up a solid surface on a gas giant.

Just make it a huge cloud city like thing with indoor and outdoor areas that the Vex constructed or something. They're researching some kind of mystery that's in the lower depths of the gas giant. Hell, that can be where the raid takes place.

Blueblur1

They can make up some BS like Vex are using some kind of timewarp technology to prevents atmospheric winds from tearing apart cloud city-like facilities. I'm sure Bungie could figure something out. It would probably be a fun creative exercise.

sajj316

I'm not a fan of removing things such as self-res and titan bubbles just because it forces the player to build out other sub classes. The last thing I want to do as a hardcore player is remove the necessity of these build-outs to complete a raid or end-game activity. That was the part of Destiny that got me to invest into all sub-classes. Yes, I had to grind. That's a part of Destiny.

Yes, self-res was abused (cheese) in the Crota raid at the bridge .. but the bridge wasn't that difficult. It was cheesed so much that there were players that didn't know how to complete it without the cheese.

Blunoise

i dont know what the fuss is about losing grimore cards, when we dont know what the lore sections is going to be. Im pretty sure it will be like a mass effect codex or a form of grimore but this time it is in the game UI. I dont think they are getting rid of finding dead ghost and reading your findings in the lore section, hell they said scan-able objects are in-game to get more lore.

void666

Banned
i dont know what the fuss is about losing grimore cards, when we dont know what the lore sections is going to be. Im pretty sure it will be like a mass effect codex or a form of grimore but this time it is in the game UI. I dont think they are getting rid of finding dead ghost and reading your findings in the lore section, hell they said scan-able objects are in-game to get more lore.

But how is this in game lore going to work? There was a charm to how grimoire cards were written. Dialogue transcriptions. Stuff like the book of sorrows.
There was some cryptic stuff in those cards that was fun to speculate. If the "show lore" is just some boring data base then it's a step backwards.

soqquatto

you know what? I was thinking "no way for Jupiter, it's a gas giant" ect., but if in Destiny different planets have all the same gravity, in Destiny 2 we can have Jupiter made of cheese and littered with gingerbread Vex bases. it's on the same level of implausibleness. as long as the game is good I won't care.

The no cross platform/save thing is mind bogging considering how much they focused on community and how to foster it in the reveal show

It's so mind-boggling that I haven't lost hope for it.

It's just such an easy thing to implement (come at me bros) and would basically print money for Activision since so many of us would double/triple dip.

In all fairness they've already had back story about a gas giant. Fundament is a gas giant and the hive existed at a depth where there the atmosphere turned into an ocean. In the real world we don't think the separation between gas layers and a liquid layer would be that exact but alas it exists within the lore so there it is. They could easily do something similar with Jupiter. Or if we're being a bit more real world grounded (lol @ that in this game) they could have floating cities within Jupiter's atmosphere that were left over by the Vex or humanity. It's entirely within the realm of possibilities. As it is though they decided to focus on Io. I'm not necessarily against that but it'll be interesting to see how Io has been partially terraformed by the traveler since Jupiter and the other Galilean moons exert such massive gravitational friction on it.

It's just such an easy thing to implement (come at me bros) and would basically print money for Activision since so many of us would double/triple dip.

Seems to me like Bungie has the tech on the server side and that it is just platform politics preventing it.

hydruxo

I'm not a fan of removing things such as self-res and titan bubbles just because it forces the player to build out other sub classes. The last thing I want to do as a hardcore player is remove the necessity of these build-outs to complete a raid or end-game activity. That was the part of Destiny that got me to invest into all sub-classes. Yes, I had to grind. That's a part of Destiny.

Yes, self-res was abused (cheese) in the Crota raid at the bridge .. but the bridge wasn't that difficult. It was cheesed so much that there were players that didn't know how to complete it without the cheese.

I'm okay with self-res going away, it was too much of a crutch for Warlocks most of the time. Titan bubble on the other hand I'll miss. Luckily we have abilities that will somewhat replace it.

Brohan

I'm most likely going to double dip already but a cross save feature would guarantee it.

I'm okay with self-res going away, it was too much of a crutch for Warlocks most of the time. Titan bubble on the other hand I'll miss. Luckily we have abilities that will somewhat replace it.

I agree. If anything this past Iron Banner and last weeks Mayhem Clash have taught me that being the Defender Fun Police is one of the best things ever. Armamentarium combined with max Disc and Suppression grenades was a fun way to combat the rampant golden guns. What was better was being a on fireteam with 3 other defenders and running a bubble train over and over. Great fun. lol

Lyonaz

They should make a library for the old grimoire entries and any new lore entries in the game. Having to visit the bungie site to read the grimoires was just lame.

Blunoise

But how is this in game lore going to work? There was a charm to how grimoire cards were written. Dialogue transcriptions. Stuff like the book of sorrows.
There was some cryptic stuff in those cards that was fun to speculate. If the "show lore" is just some boring data base then it's a step backwards.

No, im saying that the grimore format will be in the lore "section" of the game this time around. with written dialogs and stuff

Sarcasm

I know nothing of the classes and the videos don't do much in the OP..if I look up D1 class stuff will I be fine?

Or anybody care to explain the classes? Only understand all shoot guns, but some melee while the others shoot faster or do magic?

Top Bottom