• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Shadowkeep (OT4) Free Stuff For Everybody!

VertigoOA

Banned
I see Scout Rifles are still...uh...what's the word I'm looking for...

...gar'bahgeh

There’s no PvE data in these sandbox updates btw. This all seems strictly pvp related details, although everything but damage values are universal.

The way they’re lessening aim accuracy on sniper zooms and buffing scouts... it could challenge snipers....

Lanrutcon

So when Destiny 2 launched initially it was super easy to get every gun in the game., barring one or two exotics which had annoying quest lines (they still do). But everything else? simple as shit, no effort, no grinding, you could get activity specific guns without having to do the activity. No random stats either.

Everyone complained. People abandoned the game because it took them 2 weeks to get everything. Destiny 2 didn't have much of a future.

Bungie then basically retooled everything systematically over the following months and eventually ended up where we are today. Sure, you gotta kill 1,000,000 players in Gambit to unlock ObviouslyBrokenGun #14...but at the same time there's an actual reason to play more than a week or two. We've also got some major changes on the horizon, so the game is probably going to be a different beast altogether towards next year.

VertigoOA

Banned
Best loot should be in end game activities but giving the top tier of pvp players exclusive access to the best stats on guns is a bit messy.

Realistically, a few stat points more on a specific roll won’t be that huge of a difference... but we still will chase minor differences anyway. And an incremental increase in base stats to your favorite weapon will always be desirable and deadly.

I may never obtain any but I will try every weekend.

Dthomp

So when Destiny 2 launched initially it was super easy to get every gun in the game., barring one or two exotics which had annoying quest lines (they still do). But everything else? simple as shit, no effort, no grinding, you could get activity specific guns without having to do the activity. No random stats either.

Everyone complained. People abandoned the game because it took them 2 weeks to get everything. Destiny 2 didn't have much of a future.

Bungie then basically retooled everything systematically over the following months and eventually ended up where we are today. Sure, you gotta kill 1,000,000 players in Gambit to unlock ObviouslyBrokenGun #14...but at the same time there's an actual reason to play more than a week or two. We've also got some major changes on the horizon, so the game is probably going to be a different beast altogether towards next year.

I hope to god we are in for a change, I've been so bored after the first couple weeks of the newest season. I miss the need to log in each day and grind for guns, I hate everything about just turn in tokens or umbral engrams to get just the right roll. I miss being excited to go into a strike playlist and the chance for a unique gun was up for grabs, or playing infinite PVP to try to get a better Eyasluna that I knew may never come. Hope they have learned, cause the dripfeed a "new" quest each week doesn't work, locking guns behind gamemodes that are generally disliked (Gambit) also doesn't work. Re-introduction of Cosmodrome/Vault hopefully mean maybe we start to see a return of guns that are actually fun to use more then just rolling autos til ya get DSR/Rampage/KC.

Exotics are still way to easy to get (Could be from only getting like 3 new ones a season). I know I'm in the minority, but with this likely supposed to have been D3 and another full reset on gear/guns I wish they had taken the Taken King approach and just left everything behind like D1 while giving us a giant pool of exotics coming back and adding them over time like RoI etc. If I can keep using my god roll Gnawing Hunger for a year, why would I care about some new gun that won't roll with those perks? They need to give us BETTER reasons to log in and play daily, and maybe the next couple TWABs can shed light, but I fear we are going to go further down abilities being more important then guns in a gun/looter game.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Best loot should be in end game activities but giving the top tier of pvp players exclusive access to the best stats on guns is a bit messy.

Realistically, a few stat points more on a specific roll won’t be that huge of a difference... but we still will chase minor differences anyway. And an incremental increase in base stats to your favorite weapon will always be desirable and deadly.

I may never obtain any but I will try every weekend.
I don't disagree but if you don't have a bunch of friends who play you don't stand a chance regardless of your own skill.

This is my problem with the way raids are structured in the game. You need a group of people with headsets to be able to do it. Id like them to be more skill based then mechanic based myself

Dthomp

ViDoc was woeful. "Destiny's best days are ahead of us". As you continue to recycle old content FOH.

Considering to many D1 were the best days, so it only makes sense to say the best days are ahead of us if we slowly get back D1 with Mantling and we get rid of all this D2 crap...please send Gambit to the vault. KTHnX

Dthomp

I like gambit haha

Contact event is better gambit then gambit. Seriously, out of all the bonehead things Bungo has tried over the course of both games, gambit for me is by a wide margin my least enjoyable experience in the game. Only way they can improve that dumpster fire of a mode is to remove invaders wall hacks completely, AND each player on your team is auto invaded 1 time. You can't stack 1 god tier PVP player as your invader with a Truth and a sniper and wipe your team every time. That fits in with their terrible raid design of every person needing to be actively contributing every encounter. There, I fixed gambit, it took me 2 seconds of thinking and yet it's been a dumpster fire for 2? years now?

Invasions are too frequent in gambit. Get rid of invader, turn around to collect motes, get invaded again.
I like gambit but i wish invasions could be tonned down a bit.

Dibbs

Been playing ALOT of D2 the last month, catching up on the things to do and cleaning up. I liked Gambit at first but now it's just feels boring. One thing I dont like about it is that when a team is really collecting the motes fast and all and spawns the boss, the other team can just wait and then start summon blockers. Boss fight + 2-3 Large blockers and constant invaders on top of that just sucks. Another thing that sucks is other team suiciding while being invaded does not heal primeval. Playing it with 3 friends is occassionally fun tho but I even prefer Solo Survival to Gambit.

Been playing ALOT of D2 the last month, catching up on the things to do and cleaning up. I liked Gambit at first but now it's just feels boring. One thing I dont like about it is that when a team is really collecting the motes fast and all and spawns the boss, the other team can just wait and then start summon blockers. Boss fight + 2-3 Large blockers and constant invaders on top of that just sucks. Another thing that sucks is other team suiciding while being invaded does not heal primeval. Playing it with 3 friends is occassionally fun tho but I even prefer Solo Survival to Gambit.

I like Gambit, personally but you really need to pick the right loadouts and weapons for it or else you'll have a bad time. This is clearer in a Raid, for instance but in Gambit since it's matchmade you'll constantly get people not playing it properly and not communicating. Getting your primeval first should always be an advantage even if the other team spams blockers, with the right team comp you can obliterate blockers and do good boss DPS, the teams that wait for the other team to get a Primeval to spam blockers and invades is usually actually a SHIT team hoping the other team isn't good/organized because that is NOT a winning strat. Then again everything I say about Gambit is about Gambit Prime because lol @ regular Gambit. Are you a PC gamer? I'll totally play Gambit with you, lol.

Dibbs

I like Gambit, personally but you really need to pick the right loadouts and weapons for it or else you'll have a bad time. This is clearer in a Raid, for instance but in Gambit since it's matchmade you'll constantly get people not playing it properly and not communicating. Getting your primeval first should always be an advantage even if the other team spams blockers, with the right team comp you can obliterate blockers and do good boss DPS, the teams that wait for the other team to get a Primeval to spam blockers and invades is usually actually a SHIT team hoping the other team isn't good/organized because that is NOT a winning strat. Then again everything I say about Gambit is about Gambit Prime because lol @ regular Gambit. Are you a PC gamer? I'll totally play Gambit with you, lol.

Hehe yeah me, you, Carnival, PhoenixTank and others played a bit together last year (my steam name is Dibb)

Oh yeah Prime. I like Gambit Prime because of the Reckoning so it sort of serves a higher purpose. Regular Gambit with people not banking motes, griefing and invaders one shotting you doesn't (although I've invaded countless times myself and have racked up quite a few Thunderlord kills)

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I was just looking at the beyond light order on PSN and if you buy the expansion you still need to buy the season pass (for the first season) too? Didn't the other expansions include the first season?

Dthomp

I was just looking at the beyond light order on PSN and if you buy the expansion you still need to buy the season pass (for the first season) too? Didn't the other expansions include the first season?

Maybe different this time around due to size of DLC and maybe that's why base DLC is only 40 instead of 50? Not sure

Dthomp

Pretty lame if so. Buy dlc to buy dlc....

Oh i fully agree. I knew the odds were slim, but I was hoping they'd use this year to move away from this season pass model since it's just not seen as successful by many players. 1 big DLC a year and seasonal vendor updates with some secrets scattered throughout the year would be best

VertigoOA

Banned

Shadowkeep gave you the current season free whenever you bought the game. Don’t know if anything like that is going on with Beyond Light

figured that gamespass users won’t get the seasonal content

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Shadowkeep gave you the current season free whenever you bought the game. Don’t know if anything like that is going on with Beyond Light

figured that gamespass users won’t get the seasonal content
I thought so too, really looks like a cash grab separating them.

I might be done, kind of sick of this stuff.

VertigoOA

Banned
I pretty much spend 60$ on destiny every year. It’s been pretty consistent aside from
Vanilla launch and those dlc (which was like 100$?). Piecemeal purchases sounded nice to give players options of what to buy... but in reality... same shit

VertigoOA

Banned
Good episode on the new sandbox

Hey serious question if I wait till this DLC drops what am I going to miss? Do I really need a traveler's chosen?

Travelers Chosen will prove to be powerful in Destiny long term for sure... but right now ... even for casual play, this season’s Witherhoard is more desirable.

I do believe the Exotic Cipher item is their way of giving player’s who missed out the opportunity to get missed season exotics tho.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Not that I know of. I’m too caught up in election madness anyway and will have to wait till after work and the polls ... and hopefully getting out of downtown Manhattan and back into queens under two hours... Election Day traffic is going to be insanity

Last edited:

Dthomp

Haven’t seen anything brought up yet today, won’t likely be on tonight as I’ll be tuned into election stuff all night

Vindicator

Might become a grindy weekend, stack some bounties, finish Shadowkeep campaign with Titan & Warlock and hopefully run a few Leviathan Raids.

VertigoOA

Banned
Might become a grindy weekend, stack some bounties, finish Shadowkeep campaign with Titan & Warlock and hopefully run a few Leviathan Raids.

I’m debating similar... but it’s almost time. I can just sleep and Beyond Light will be here. 3 raids away from the 2020 title tho...

Great thing I can usher in next gen consoles with 30 FPS destiny :messenger_expressionless: ... and that’s why I’ll be picking up Godfall. Just because...

Ps - Luke Smith tweeted that the end of season live event or whatever won’t be gameplay or anything.

Last edited:

Dthomp

Don't stack any PVP or Vanguard ones, they already said it'll mess up your powerful drops in new DLC, Gambit ones as well I'm pretty sure (Those might just disappear with Gambit being new mode)

SCB3

Don't stack any PVP or Vanguard ones, they already said it'll mess up your powerful drops in new DLC, Gambit ones as well I'm pretty sure (Those might just disappear with Gambit being new mode)

It wont mess it up, the Weapons will drop at the previous seasons PL and the XP gains will be lower

I mean I saved my Crucible ones anyway, so I'll test it out for BL

Dthomp

It wont mess it up, the Weapons will drop at the previous seasons PL and the XP gains will be lower

I mean I saved my Crucible ones anyway, so I'll test it out for BL

I'm not risking it, I want to join a group for worlds first race so I can't mess up a PL drop just for a few thousand XP I can make up in the first day or two

Dibbs

Well that was one SOB of a quest! Wouldn't be surprised if Bungie made it possible to purchase it for like 50 shards in BL :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Top Bottom