• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2: The Witch Queen Is Already Pre-ordered by Over 1 Million Players (Releases in 2.22.22)

I was tempted to dive back into Destiny 2 but remembered I dumped about 5k hours into D1 and D2 combined and while I had fun it was just a chore sometimes remaking characters 4-5x a week to re-run raids and shit in Destiny 1.

I'm done with that life.

ethomaz

Banned
ntpEnmJ.jpg
Wut?

Destiny had the record of OTs in GAF.
While it had some vocal minority that have to say they hated it in the gaming site the GAF community loved Destiny.

BTW Destiny was the reason I got invite for ERA before the site gone online.

DesrinyGAF was huge.

I have no ideia why you come with that bipolarity about Destiny here… you are not fooling anybody.

Last edited:

Dynasty8

Destiny is bigger than Halo. I'm not surprised.

Funny thing is most people choose to ignore this... they'll automatically laugh at this comment not knowing how much better and bigger Destiny has gotten since launch. If we are comparing vanilla campaigns, Halo destroys Destiny. But content wise, it's not even a competition. Probably controversial, but I would say quality wise overall it's better too.

I am as die hard as you can get when it comes to Halo. Played all the games, watched the short movies, read the books and probably consumed thousands of hours within each installment.

But Destiny is bigger and better at this point. The biggest weakness for Destiny is that Bungie does an absolute shit job with introducing new players to the game. Unfortunately it's really hard to get a friend into the game since they removed the Red War campaign and a slew of other things. But if anyone every got into the dungeons, raids, and some of the other amazing exotic missions, grandmaster nightfalls and messed around the unique builds and loot, it definitely hooks you like no other game.

Last edited:
But shouldn't you care? Sony is spending money on something you don't like. There are opportunity costs. They could have used that money elsewhere. Maybe on a Capcom acquisition. But you're stuck with a developer that has one IP that you don't care about. But you cheer? ooookay...

No, if sony makes money they can invest it into games i actaully want. The world doesn’t revolve around me. The playstation eco system needs to be healthy in order for me to get what i want

Also, i do feel like they will make sonys multiplayer games, some of which i do care about like Factions and Twisted Metal better.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Wut?

Destiny had the record of OTs in GAF.
While it had some vocal minority that have to say they hated it in the gaming site the GAF community loved Destiny.

BTW Destiny was the reason I got invite for ERA before the site gone online.

DesrinyGAF was huge.

I have no ideia why you come with that bipolarity about Destiny here… you are not fooling anybody.

Lol, what? Just because a handful of people talk endlessly about the game does not mean the great GAF community loved Destiny.

TheMan

Has anyone else pointed out that the expansion comes out on the 22nd, not the 2nd? Just realized this a second ago. Thread is titled incorrectly

Last edited:

Dynasty8

Genuine question, can you read? Can you count? The DestinyGAF group is not that large. It wasn't large prior to the exodus. Just because that small group was active doesn't mean that GAF as a whole mostly loved the game.

Before the shit with era, the Destiny OT was one of the most popular on GAF. Far larger than other games as I recall.

Regardless, the game has one of the largest and most active subreddits as well.. Over 2 million subbed.

Also, the daily active players is huge. Near a million players during the slowest period. That number skyrockets with the release of new expansions.

I've seen so many undermine the game's popularity and success just because it's not their cup of tea, but the game prints money for Bungie and is honestly very fun to play. The game scarcths a niche that many games today simply can't. I have yet to see an FPS MMO-lite with the same quality of raids, dungeons, gunplay, loot, PvP, PvE content that this game brings. It's a smart move by Sony.

Last edited:

treemk

Banned
I've seen so many undermine the game's popularity and success just because it's not their cup of tea, but the game prints money for Bungie and is honestly very fun to play. The game scarcths a niche that many games today simply can't. I have yet to see an FPS MMO-lite with the same quality of raids, dungeons, gunplay, loot, PvP, PvE content that this game brings. It's a smart move by Sony.
Nothing comes remotely close in the co-op FPS space, I've played it extensively at different times and I always quit because I end up spending too much time on it. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

I stopped eventually because all Bungie does is continue to up the ante with how much anti consumer shit they can get away with. The "vaulting" of at least $120 worth of content I paid for is the biggest bullshit thing I've ever seen in gaming.

They also lies about how vaulting would work. They said they'd find a way to rotate that content back in the game but they havnt done that. How about how they're now charging for Dungeons and seasons, separately. They have been known to nerf XP gains in the past completely unbeknownst to what the player though they were getting for completing quests. They fudged the numbers, lol.

Then there is their over the top wokeness. They were forcing us to read BLM support messages when booting the game up. Not the biggest deal, I just hate when devs do this crap. Keep your politics out of our games.

Then there's how long it takes them to fix glaring issues with the game or how they use Youtubers to basically advertise for them. It's like there's a special club that exists between them and certain Youtubers. When the game was in danger of failing and they needed a win, they invited this "club" to a special multi day event "previewing" Forsakem. When they needed to sell people on the idea that "vaulting was necessary and good for the game" they had the help of these content "creators".

Fuck Bungie ...they are literally the worst company out there in pushing the boundaries of what they can get away with. The whole vaulting thing actually worked and now the precedent is set for other devs to remove paid content. It was all done in the name of "free to play". Yeah, despite selling each new season a d expansion for full price, somehow morons in the Destiny community started believing D2 was actually a free to play game, which of course helped them justify taking away all this stuff we paid good money for. Can't tell you how many times I saw people say "vaulting is perfectly fine because nobody cares about it anyway, plus d2 is Free to Play" and "well we're getting a new expansion in exchange for vaulting so what's the big deal?"

I'm not sure if my hatred of Bungie is better served for the idiots in the community who let them walk all over us.

SkylineRKR

Destiny is a nightmare for newcomers and returners. I had zero clue despite having played 1 for 300 hours and 2 for just 40 hours but when I tried Beyond Light one day I thought fuck this. The only expansions I ever bought were the first 2 and TTK. But it seems all that content is simply gone. Which is kind of weird if you think about it. Its like you can't play Heavensward anymore, or something (Heavensward is better than all that shit combined, but the idea).

Genuine question, can you read? Can you count? The DestinyGAF group is not that large. It wasn't large prior to the exodus. Just because that small group was active doesn't mean that GAF as a whole mostly loved the game.

Yeah I was there for some time as well, it were like a dozen of people smalltalking for 24 hours. They were helpful mind you, but it was a rather small group that simply posted 200 messages a day each.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I mean everyone hated GAAS games for years on here, because it was more of a Microsoft thing. I honestly cant remember the last Destiny related thread on this forum, or really even posts about Destiny, until this Bungie deal. Now its like some massive game that everyone seems to be loving lol.
I own the game, and 12 hours was enough for me.

I mean, the game literally has over 180 million fucking players who played man lol Thats just too much people to play a series to act like someone must be pretending to like it or something. Mind you, you can see yourself how many on here even liked it back then to be fair.

lol the irony

enjoy.

Stuart360

I mean, the game literally has over 180 million fucking players who played man lol Thats just too much people to play a series to act like someone must be pretending to like it or something. Mind you, you can see yourself how many on here even liked it back then to be fair.

lol the irony

enjoy.
4 threads, one from 2015, one from 2017, and two from early 2021, on a videogame enthusiast forum.
Come on EDMIX, you're better than that.
None of that negates what i said about Destiny talk being a ghost town on this forum until a few days ago. There are probably a few threads about some tiny obscure Indie games on here if you look for them.

Tschumi

4 threads, one from 2015, one from 2017, and two from early 2021, on a videogame enthusiast forum.
Come on EDMIX, you're better than that.
None of that negates what i said about Destiny talk being a ghost town on this forum until a few days ago. There are probably a few threads about some tiny obscure Indie games on here if you look for them.
I just wanna give a brief take in the context of this post.

I've played destiny once, on my old ps3 - the first game. I played through the first, sorta, tutorial.. in the crashed spaceship.. might have got to a first town.. didn't get much further.. nice gunplay, bullet sponge boss, yeah

My understanding of destiny 2 now, from pre-sony posts in the last few weeks, is that it's gotten better, that its latest expansion was its best, but it's not accessible to new players.

What I've heard after Sony is, basically, "let's forget all about Halo, and just say Destiny is no good"...

I think xbox fans are neatly forgetting the fact that without Bungie the OG Xbox would almost have had no games to attract new players with. Okay, KOTOR, no worries that was great, but much else?

Also they're neatly forgetting that they were howling about Infinite not being developed by Bungie a year ago.

Also they're forgetting that, despite Destiny not being as big as various Activision-Blizzard titles (there was a giant difference in the cost, and IP payoff, of these purchases), at least it isn't connected with sexual abuse allegations, suicides, and, lately, disappointing releases.

As such I don't think these two acquisitions can be compared well.

So, to wrap it up: Destiny is not a big deal, I don't think anyone expects it to be the difference maker emerging from this deal, I think however that Bungie seem to have talent, production values and consistency that neither of Activision-Blizzard have shown recently, so i expect new Bungie IPs to be as good as the offerings of naughty dog, Guerilla games, etc etc. And considering that Sony has already drawn many such titles out of their developers, everything bodes well for us getting the best Bungie that we could.

Last edited:

Concern

Banjo64 Banjo64 Jimbo is a big fan you on GAF and he read your masterplan. He sends his warm greetings.

jim-ryan.gif

English must not be the first language for most of you or you're purposely being obtuse.

The fact the he even says he'd rather play Battlefield 2042 when he trashes it so much should be hint that he's not complimenting any of those games.

Not really the "i gotcha" you guys think it is lol

Banjo64

cumsessed
English must not be the first language for most of you or you're purposely being obtuse.

The fact the he even says he'd rather play Battlefield 2042 when he trashes it so much should be hint that he's not complimenting any of those games.

Not really the "i gotcha" you guys think it is lol
Yeah, to clarify I was saying that Destiny and Apex are better games than CoD.

I was saying I’d rather even play BF 2042 than CoD, even though it’s shit.

I think Bungie is a better acquisition than Activision.

I wasn’t saying that I wanted MS to buy Bungie, I was saying that Sony would have been in trouble for FPS games if MS were to buy Bungie.

There’s a few non native English speakers on here though, so no biggie. I admire anyone who speaks multiple languages, as I got a U in French at school (worst grade possible) :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Only thing I’m surprised at is people like Toad thinking it’s a ‘gatcha’ moment.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yeah, to clarify I was saying that Destiny and Apex are better games than CoD.

I was saying I’d rather even play BF 2042 than CoD, even though it’s shit.

I think Bungie is a better acquisition than Activision.

I wasn’t saying that I wanted MS to buy Bungie, I was saying that Sony would have been in trouble for FPS games if MS were to buy Bungie.

There’s a few non native English speakers on here though, so no biggie. I admire anyone who speaks multiple languages, as I got a U in French at school (worst grade possible) :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Only thing I’m surprised at is people like Toad thinking it’s a ‘gatcha’ moment.

By the way, I got you right but he assumed otherwise. It was an undercover compliment to your forward thinking, semi-prophecy.

Top Bottom