• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 ViDoc: As Light Falls

sainraja

Here is a new video from Bungie on the upcoming Lightfall expansion pack. Some cool things are coming!

ViDOC

New stuff:
  • Strand ability
  • New weapons
  • Mod customizations
  • Commendations
  • Guardian Ranks
  • Loadouts
  • New location

Some exciting gifs:

There is also a post on it on the PS.Blog: https://blog.playstation.com/2023/02/16/gameplay-details-from-destiny-2-lightfalls-first-mission/

At the end of light, there is darkness. And at the end of darkness is light. This conflict is what Lightfall–the penultimate expansion to Destiny 2’s epic Light and Darkness saga–is all about. It’s you and your fireteam standing against The Witness and Calus’s dark Shadow Legion. The stakes are everything, with the looming extinction of all life hanging in the balance. It’s the most monumental development to the six-year-old game, and the talented team at Bungie is making sure you feel the grandeur through the plot and an assortment of new gameplay additions.

During a recent preview event of the upcoming expansion, we got to see some of the first mission and a handful of the delightful new surprises coming for Destiny 2 players, both new and old. Below are some of the most exciting details we learned about Lightfall.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

I dont even understand how people still play this game.

I love Destiny as a game and Bungie to death. as well as their game engine is impressive ( aside form the outdated graphics ), but this game at this point is almost impossible to touch due to the shit system where so many things in the map and you do not know where to go and what to do . you do not even know how to finish the campaign even if you want to with so many things on the map.

The last thing I played was Cayde-6 died. Not only did I lose interest in the game because they killed the best character, but also because the story stopped making any sense at all.

watching the OP video, what the fuck is pyramid attacking? is this supposed to be a new enemy now ?

nikos

The new areas look really cool. I'm back in and will play as long as I'm having fun.

Got too much into The Witch Queen last year. Followed a bunch of YouTubers and realized every single one's content revolved around FOMO, which had the opposite effect and caused me to not care about the game anymore.

Last edited:

sainraja

I love Destiny as a game and Bungie to death. as well as their game engine is impressive ( aside form the outdated graphics ), but this game at this point is almost impossible to touch due to the shit system where so many things in the map and you do not know where to go and what to do . you do not even know how to finish the campaign even if you want to with so many things on the map.

The last thing I played was Cayde-6 died. Not only did I lose interest in the game because they killed the best character, but also because the story stopped making any sense at all.

watching the OP video, what the fuck is pyramid attacking? is this supposed to be a new enemy now ?
I mean, it's really not that complicated to figure out (since the marker will guide you in the campaign missions). I've completed all the campaigns. Anyway, people love Elden Ring, so figuring things out is what we gamers do! The less they guide is better so...

As for the story, yeah, I can see that. I am kinda keeping up with the seasonal story but I am not that invested. I just love everything else about the game so I keep playing!

Last edited:

sainraja

The new areas look really cool. I'm back in and will play as long as I'm having fun.
That's all that really matters. So enjoy!

Got too much into The Witch Queen last year. Followed a bunch of YouTubers and realized every single one's content revolved around FOMO, which had the opposite effect and caused me to not care about the game anymore.
I would mostly play casually before COVID (and I would buy everything - annual pass, expansions, etc.). I would play story missions and mostly jump into the Crucible. Once I took things slowly and went after things when I wanted to... I really got into it, so just take it easy, I say.

nikos

That's all that really matters. So enjoy!

I would mostly play casually before COVID (and I would buy everything - annual pass, expansions, etc.). I would play story missions and mostly jump into the Crucible. Once I took things slowly and went after things when I wanted to... I really got into it, so just take it easy, I say.

The game is a ton of fun to play. I just got too obsessed with completing every challenge and looking up "god rolls" all the time, trying to min-max everything. Then I joined a clan to raid and those guys were on a whole other level when it came to that stuff. Still had a lot of fun, no regrets!

Anybody know if I should log in and do things before the expansion releases? I haven't played in several months.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Grappling hook takes the place of your grenade?

jim gaffigan comedian GIF by TV Land

sainraja

The game is a ton of fun to play. I just got too obsessed with completing every challenge and looking up "god rolls" all the time, trying to min-max everything. Then I joined a clan to raid and those guys were on a whole other level when it came to that stuff. Still had a lot of fun, no regrets!

Anybody know if I should log in and do things before the expansion releases? I haven't played in several months.
Unless you want a quick boost in leveling up, I don't think you need to login to do anything specific before the season starts. I know people stock up on bounties before a new season/expansion.

Grappling hook takes the place of your grenade?

jim gaffigan comedian GIF by TV Land
Hmm. Interesting. I did not notice that.

Man I wish I was still into Destiny. D1 and D2 gave me some of the most memories of any game playing with friends and making new ones. Thousands of hours sunk into it.

This looks really good

sainraja

Man I wish I was still into Destiny. D1 and D2 gave me some of the most memories of any game playing with friends and making new ones. Thousands of hours sunk into it.

This looks really good
There are many activities in Destiny 2 where you can still build up memories like that. My first raid attempt was Deep Stone Crypt, and the "Eyes of Tomorrow" rocket launcher was what I was chasing. I had plenty of crazy and fun runs. The first run took my raid team forever because we had many new people, including me, but I was with good people; they stuck around and helped us finish.

I earned Hawkmoon solo and did Presage with others and that was pretty fun to go through.

Buddies and I have Lightfall preordered. It's Bungie, I'm always going to check out what they do.

Grappling is sort of meh, it's been done to death, do we need another game with it? I'm keen on the progress system shown in the ViDoc, it was such a massive sticking point throughout D2. Far too much to follow, find out what and how to do something etc. I love a mystery but when it's every turn, every item in your inventory and generally just lost without a buddy Sherpa to walk you through just playing the game it's too much. Very happy they're addressing this major aspect to Destiny.

The art looks cool in a sort of celebratory X cyberpunk way but I prefer the original world art more so. Anyhow I think the campaign part will be a great time, hopefully RNG loot is a big thing of the past and progression is as easy as clicking a button and knowing what to do and where or when. The mystery can be when you at least know you're on the right track.

Mechanically, art, bugs, coop and all that I know Bungie will knock this shit out of the park.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

The New player experience was shit and would likely remain shit. They promised fixing it with WitchQueen expansion and it didn't worked. They're trying to have Guardian Ranks with Lightfall which might seem it would work but I don't know. Even I who wanted to try a second character was put off and I have more than 2.2K hours in Destiny. Its not confusing, its just off putting and might feel like a chore to a new player.

About the Story.
This is perhaps the second best reason to play Destiny. They have really upped their games in terms of story telling per season. The killer of Cayde and his redemption arc, the cabal alliance and introduction of the Pyramids from the last 9 seasons. And this year almost every seasonal activity has been excellent except one. No content gets deleted now so thats great too.

Amiga

skipped last 3 expansions. Will this have a new level boost at launch and level cap?

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
they ever doing destiny 3?

If they ever do it, it will be a long time from now. They still have this and one more expansion for the Light and Dark story. Then they're creating a new saga for Destiny 2. The impression I get from what they've been saying is they want to avoid making an actual sequel as long as possible. If I had to guess, if Destiny 3 happens, it will be closer to 2030. Especially since they're working on a whole new game and supposedly some kind of mobile title.

Last edited:

unlurkified

How about offering some real modern controller settings beyond 7-8 simple ones? The gunplay design is good, but the massive deadzone, absurdly strong aim assist, and lack of other options just make it feel awful compared to other top shooters.

But, got back into it for about a year around Sept 2021 and just couldn’t bring myself to get back on the seasonal hamster wheel for a 4th time with the most recent season.

Top Bottom