• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 will not have cross save

Didn't really see a thread on this, and with the new PC platform I think its an important thing to get out there so people can plan appropriately.

Destiny 2 will NOT have cross save, its been confirmed in an interview
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/destiny-2-wont-have-cross-save-between-pc-and-console

Thats a bummer, especially with the PC platform now apparently launching later than console. I was hoping to buy on PS4, play for a while, then switch to PC and mix it up (ala Forza Horizon 3 or FF14) as I feel, but there is no way I am going to level two completely different sets of characters and gear them both out etc.

PS4 will continue to have exclusive strikes and gear, similar to Destiny 1 and all the expansions, so to me it makes sense sticking with that. I wouldn't have minded playing on Scorpio either, but with that releasing a month or two after Destiny 2 it just is all a bit muddled and messy.

We had the same plan in mind. Guess I''ll be avoiding streams and social media spoilers until it comes out, or the release date isn't to be too far ahead hopefully.

That's a shame but I feel like it kinda makes sense for pvp gear at least. For leveling and pve it doesn't make much sense though yeah.

thehunter1320

Neo Member
Saw this article earlier today and I'm pretty skeptical of the reporting.

1. The question posed seems very vague. Taking the article at face value, the question was "Are players pretty much locked into their [platform] choice?" That could mean a number of things: friends list, access to exclusive content, expansion purchases, gear and progress, etc. This was not explicitly a question about cross-saves.

2. The employee's answer seems like a canned response about friends lists and Guided Games. The question asked wasn't necessarily about cross-play, so why jump to the conclusion that this reply was talking about cross-save?

3. I'm doubtful that an art director is able to provide definitive answers on how the game servers will handle player profile management for gear/progress/etc. Why consider him a credible source for this kind of question?

Maybe I'm just grasping at straws and holding out hope for my own reasons, but I wouldn't put this one to bed so quickly. Didn't the leaker say it was only PS4/PC cross-save planned so far? Maybe Sony wants to announce it if MS can't/won't do it.

renzolama

I'm surprised people ever believed this was a possibility, at least between PS4 and PC. I say this as someone with a relatively sophisticated understanding of software security as it relates to online gaming on the Windows OS: the PC version of Destiny 2 is going to be a constant cat-and-mouse game of exploits/cheats, and opening up the consoles to share profile data with PC would be a huge security vulnerability for those otherwise-pristine console environments. The last thing Bungie wants is to propagate those PC cheating woes to the console platforms by allowing someone to carry hacked char/weapon/etc data across the platform boundary.

The only way I could see this realistically occurring would be for Xbox One / Windows Store builds of the game, and that's only because (a) Windows Store / UWP binaries have some protection at the OS level and (b) Microsoft would be highly incentivized to make it happen to sell more Xbox One consoles (especially, say, with the release of a new console revision). Also, Microsoft has already gotten one third party publisher/game on board for Play Anywhere with RE7, and there's already a precedent for Activision games in the Windows Store with CoD. I'm in no way attempting to incite any ridiculous platform warz argument here, just pointing out that sharing game data between console and PC has significantly more precedent and infrastructure in the Microsoft ecosystem at this point. Sony has very little financial or technical incentive to pursue the same for PS4.

Edit: To be clear, Destiny stores profile data on its servers rather than on local machines, so its not exactly a Borderlands 2 save editor scenario. The basic principle is the same though, and you can see it in action right this moment with games like FFXIV where people use bots/exploits to boost their chars on the PC build and then load up the same account/chars in the PS4 build.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
There is no official word. One person is like Bungie employee's cousin told me, another person is like Bungie janitor told me, etc.

I personally believe they will in the future if not at release of PC version. It's easy money for them because you can see for yourself that many many people will double dip if it were true.

duhmetree

that one gaffer with the leaks sweating right now

There were 2 leakers. 1 was a couple days before the reveal and 1 was 12 hours before the reveal.

The one 12 hours before the reveal was right about pretty much everything. From Abilities, to planet names, to size, to Battle.net, to 4v4 crucible, to 30fps etc.. He's the one that said they're also working towards a cross-save feature... maybe has something to do with the delay...

Nydius

I personally believe they will in the future if not at release of PC version. It's easy money for them because you can see for yourself that many many people will double dip if it were true.

Could say the same thing about other games that are on all three platforms like, say, Overwatch. One of the main reasons I haven't double dipped for Overwatch PC is because everything I've unlocked on the PS4 is walled off on the PS4 version only and I'd be starting at square one with the PC version.

But I suspect that's intentional, in order to get people spending more on microtransactions. Since it's most likely that Eververse will be returning, I suspect the lack of urgency regarding cross-save is due, in part, to pushing extra sales of Silver. Activision probably figures they'll get enough people to double dip regardless of separate systems so might as well try to get them to keep splashing cash for Eververse boxes.

Pretty sure there's another interview out there where they said they're aware of the demand for it and it's something they'd like to implement. So no it won't be in at launch, if its viable, it seems they'll do it at some point.

Zakalwe

Banned
That sucks a bit for me as I was planning on playing this on ps4 until I could afford a new gaming machine. Being able to continue my progress on the new platform would have been great.

I hope the game is good enough to warrant the double-dip, I really want to try Destiny at PC level performance.

Moff

Thats good, right? Otherwise double dippers would have a massive headstart. What am I missing?

There were 2 leakers. 1 was a couple days before the reveal and 1 was 12 hours before the reveal.

The one 12 hours before the reveal was right about pretty much everything. From Abilities, to planet names, to size, to Battle.net, to 4v4 crucible, to 30fps etc.. He's the one that said they're also working towards a cross-save feature... maybe has something to do with the delay...

If that's the same leaker then I think the PC delay could also be a result of them trying to implement this feature. Hopefully we will hear an official word on both the PC launch date and this feature again but if not then I'll just stick with my PS4 Pro version and have a good time.

Zakalwe

Banned
Thats good, right? Otherwise double dippers would have a massive headstart. What am I missing?

The massive headstart doesn't really matter with Destiny as its just a community driven game and PVP is normalised aside from special events.

Huh, I thought since your character profile exists on Destiny servers, you'd at least be able to load a basic character that way between different platforms. It sounds like it's way more complicated than that though.

I don't understand why there is none. Everything is saved on their servers. Really weird. This would get me to buy at least two versions of the game.

This and the 30fps for PS4 Pro don't bother me.

Lack of dedicated servers bothers me, but the other "bad news" headlines don't negatively affect my stance on the game

mrk8885

Banned
Seems like this should be something easy to do, given they save all the info on their servers anyways.

I guess they maybe don't want people popping into the PS4 version, grabbing exclusive content, the bouncing back to pc or Xbox 1. But if people wanted to buy two versions to do that, I don't see why not. Only problem I see would be if a bunch of non PS4 players bought one copy and traded it around but that seems like a lot of work and a mega niche situation.

Huge bummer and honestly a huge hype-deflater.

Also confirms I will only be buying this game once.

edit: author of that article is a Gaffer. Sup man!

FinKL

Saw this article earlier today and I'm pretty skeptical of the reporting.

1. The question posed seems very vague. Taking the article at face value, the question was "Are players pretty much locked into their [platform] choice?" That could mean a number of things: friends list, access to exclusive content, expansion purchases, gear and progress, etc. This was not explicitly a question about cross-saves.

2. The employee's answer seems like a canned response about friends lists and Guided Games. The question asked wasn't necessarily about cross-play, so why jump to the conclusion that this reply was talking about cross-save?

3. I'm doubtful that an art director is able to provide definitive answers on how the game servers will handle player profile management for gear/progress/etc. Why consider him a credible source for this kind of question?

Maybe I'm just grasping at straws and holding out hope for my own reasons, but I wouldn't put this one to bed so quickly. Didn't the leaker say it was only PS4/PC cross-save planned so far? Maybe Sony wants to announce it if MS can't/won't do it.

I'm with you, gotta keep hope alive because the 1-2 punch of no cross-save AND delayed launch have me questioning what platform I want to get this on.

The big thing to me is that it was the Art Director that came out and said this on the article. There must of been a ton of other higher ups at the event and not one Streamer or Youtuber brought up this topic? Hope they were saving stuff for E3.

One Destiny YouTuber, Mesa Sean said that there is cross-save and that he spoke to developer about it. I can't grab the time at the moment but it is within this long video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiERA1Bpc1Y

Though I wouldn't take Mesa Sean reporting as enough to drop the discussion since he also said PC gamers are getting the PS4 exclusive content. Bungie needs to clear this up.

Top Bottom