• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Alpha Gameplay Leaks [Update: Luke from Bungie comments, read post 1557]

Lasty95

To all those not that fussed: what about E3 last year? That was a stellar demo showcasing the social stuff, transitioning seamlessly from private spaces (I'm guessing an early campaign mission) into public areas, larger scale fights with multiple guardians etc etc

What was the gaf impression of all that?

Karl Hawk

Banned
To all those not that fussed: what about E3 last year? That was a stellar demo showcasing the social stuff, transitioning seamlessly from private spaces (I'm guessing an early campaign mission) into public areas, larger scale fights with multiple guardians etc etc

Some of them thought it was good, some thought it was a boring Borderlands clone. And... some thought it was scripted bullshit.

jem0208

The initial E3 reveal?

I felt pretty much the same about that as this, the gameplay just looked... boring.

Tsukumo

I don't know if there are still people interested in Beta codes but Amazon gives them immediately as soon as you pre-order. Just got mine.

You should really state that is your opinion and not a fact, people might believe you.

Borderlands 2 had amazing writing, memorable characters, memorable moments, great DLC (especially tiny Tina dragon quest/rpg)

Not to mention, a great community of people to play with. (hence why I can say what I say because I share my opinion with that great community of like minded people)

If they allowed Dinklage to be more sarcastic that would be great (or maybe he is later on)
I think Cortana is over-rated so what do I know *shrug*

One more thing, it's not Halo.. Stop comparing it to Halo, last Halo I played was trying to be like COD.

Try to have some faith in the company that brought you classics.

Bungie did not make the last Halo.

Trickster

You've got a retail copy of the game? Please tell us more about the mechanics of it since Bungie won't.

We know that there are multiple planets we get to go to, each with several huge open zones that we can explore completely how we want to. This is not up for debate. Just because Bungie haven't shown it of in footage doesn't make that not be the case. What we don't know are the exact specifics of a lot of the mechanics in Destiny. But the overall theme of the game is about you, the player, going on a journey of exploration across several locations in our solar system.

Design looks great. Graphics look very good except for the lack of particles when shooting (very halo-like). Gameplay (including enemy AI) looks decidedly unimaginative. Music and voicework are good.

Halo fans ought to like it.

I think when this was announced Halo fans were in a bad place and hoped Destiny would fill the void. The reason this looks boring is because there is a grinding element to it. It doesn't look story focused at all. If you watched 10 hours of Borderlands it would look similar only you would have a cut scene here or there based on story missions. RPG elements to me is code for grinding. This game is no different.

Im watching it again, I'd like someone to tell me aside from public events, what exactly is different than Borderlands? Aside from the graphics, skill trees, ADS, even the damage streams off the enemies the same way. Loot chests, special powers. I mean c'mon.

tasch

Banned
Im watching it again, I'd like someone to tell me aside from public events, what exactly is different than Borderlands? Aside from the graphics, skill trees, ADS, even the damage streams off the enemies the same way. Loot chests, special powers. I mean c'mon.

the fact the game is open world and features more than 4 players?

We know that there are multiple planets we get to go to, each with several huge open zones that we can explore completely how we want to. This is not up for debate. Just because Bungie haven't shown it of in footage doesn't make that not be the case. What we don't know are the exact specifics of a lot of the mechanics in Destiny. But the overall theme of the game is about you, the player, going on a journey of exploration across several locations in our solar system.

I don't think you can just shut down the conversation and say 'this is not up for debate' when history has shown us that game mechanics can change and that pre-release footage/rhetoric can be misleading. Now, I'm not sitting here with a tin foil hat on thinking Bungie is trying to trick us, just pointing out that the people who think the game might not live up to the hype have a valid reason to doubt. I trust in Bungie to deliever on what they promise, but we won't know for sure how the game plays until Bungie releases more details or the game is in consumers hands.

That's all I'm saying.

That Vimeo video is pretty dull, but maybe it's actually more fun to play than it is to watch? I mean some games are like that. And he was playing alone (when this is supposed to be a co-op game) and he wasn't really doing anything special.

In any case, the beta will be out soon so I guess we'll see for ourselves.

Trickster

I don't think you can just shut down the conversation and say 'this is not up for debate' when history has shown us that game mechanics can change and that pre-release footage/rhetoric can be misleading. Now, I'm not sitting here with a tin foil hat on thinking Bungie is trying to trick us, just pointing out that the people who think the game might not live up to the hype have a valid reason to doubt. I trust in Bungie to deliever on what they promise, but we won't know for sure how the game plays until Bungie releases more details or the game is in consumers hands.

That's all I'm saying.

But this is exactly what I also said? "What we don't know are the exact specifics of a lot of the mechanics in Destiny". But we do know what the basic premise of the game is. And that's about exploration and discovery. Which will take us to several planets and locations in our solar system.

What are they referring to on Tuesday? Does the beta start on Tuesday?

e3times2014.png

Bsigg12

Sony Conference on that schedule is Monday. So at the very least it suggests that Bungie will info dump on Tuesday.

Well the show floor opens Tuesday and they've already said they would be featuring competitive multiplayer. There will probably be a ton of things from IGN/GameSpot/Gametrailers then too.

Lasty95

Well the show floor opens Tuesday and they've already said they would be featuring competitive multiplayer. There will probably be a ton of things from IGN/GameSpot/Gametrailers then too.

Think Deej said in the weekly update there's a behind-closed-doors thing going on too.

So full blow out may be a few days later.

I hate it when people do this, imagine being the developer and wanting to surprise/delight your fan base only to have some guy release the game in its incomplete state and have it judged/criticized on that instead of the actual game. Kinda lame...

Lasty95

I hate it when people do this, imagine being the developer and wanting to surprise/delight your fan base only to have some guy release the game in its incomplete state and have it judged/criticized on that instead of the actual game. Kinda lame...

Yeah exactly.

What, 5 years in the making?

10's of 1000's of hours of creative input?

"Leaked footage looks shit"

i don't think a low bitrate or incomplete assets are the cause for seemingly regurgitated gameplay mechanics that we've seen across the 5 previous games released by Bungie. again, i remain hopeful, and maybe the guy is just playing the game like Halo because that's what he expects, but to me it just looks like they're going back to the well with Destiny.

i don't think a low bitrate or incomplete assets are the cause for seemingly regurgitated gameplay mechanics that we've seen across the 5 previous games released by Bungie. again, i remain hopeful, and maybe the guy is just playing the game like Halo because that's what he expects, but to me it just looks like they're going back to the well with Destiny.

I'm not concerned about that, if it's not broken don't fix it imo. Though people will pre judge from this footage alone.

I really don't know about this notion that if a game is coming out it has to be 'revolutionary' or 'innovative'. How about a game that is sound in its design and mechanics, that works, and is (though obviously subjectively) fun?

Lasty95

Actually I wonder what the consequences would be for something like that?

Surely he'll loose whatever job he's got going on, but financial/ legal action maybe?

Surely he'll loose whatever job he's got going on, but financial/ legal action maybe?

He's certainly put himself in that position where that's a possibility (albeit a rare one). Bungie/Activision could argue that the showing of the alpha potentially caused them to lose revenue in the form of preorders, etc, and sue for those damages. (Again, a rare possibility but one nonetheless).

Trickster

I imagine that if the game comes out and is a big success critically. Then activision/bungie could drag him to court and use threads like this as proof that what he did caused damage to the IP and lost revenue as a result. I'm no lawyer though, so this is pure speculation.

Top Bottom