• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Alpha Gameplay Leaks [Update: Luke from Bungie comments, read post 1557]

CrovaxPSO

First impression is that it looks kind of boring, but I'll chalk that up to being unfinished and not having other players with him.

Crosseyes

Banned
Agreed. We can't have bombastic all the time. It dulls the senses. I hope that even with these quieter moments there is always a sense of dread... Do I push forward to possibly get killed? Etc. Etc.
The 2nd one had a great moment of that, while free roaming the guy was just ducking into some abandoned underground areas, found a couple chests.

Did it again a couple minutes later... only this time it dark, enemies started making noise and showing up on radar and let him know he had come to the wrong neighborhood. They had weaponry way bigger than anything else and their level number were red, looked somewhere in the teens and his gunfire did NOTHING.

He had to run for his life out of that underground detour.

I personally liked what I saw, especially the longer it went on.

The criticisms are valid. So far, the mission/level design seem 'average' at best, the enemy AI is less than ideal and the animations feel not as dynamic as it should be.

And yes, the 'empty-ish' world.

However, the world does give a strong semblance of expansiveness, there's a Far Cry 3 vibe to them where it felt like taking a different turn may lead you into somewhere else entirely, and we're probably talking just one 'world hub', not even taking into account other unrevealed world hubs yet.

I feel that what I've seen so far lends itself strongly towards exploration and co-op experiences well.

Loving what I'm seeing towards the end of the video, finally get to see how some of the hub/open world aspect works.

Not sure about damage numbers popping for grenades.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Yeesh, the music in the first video really is terrible.

And again, the guy is ADS'ing all the fucking time, he makes it look like CoD in space.

JayEH

Disappointed this won't have a single player. I loved the original Halo trilogy's campaigns but this seems like it will most likely be like Borderlands which means you need some friends to have a lot of fun.

Thanks.

First impressions, AI seems to be terrible, not sure I like the music and the voice acting isn't the the greatest.

Gunplay looks great though, doesn't seem to be too much like Halo, which is nice.

the 3rd video shows great AI, when the player shoots a fallen (Fallen Captain, i think), it teleports very quick to avoid damage from player and covers behind a container.
Sr for my bad English :(

the 3rd video shows great AI, when the player shoots a fallen (Fallen Captain, i think), it teleports very quick to avoid damage from player and covers behind a container.
Sr for my bad English :(

I'm downloading all the videos now, will check it out soon.

Good to hear that it's better though. I assume it's not great in the first video as you're just starting out and the game wants to slowly build up to be challenging than throw you straight into the deep end.

So-It-Begins.gif

Karl Hawk

Banned
Disappointed this won't have a single player. I loved the original Halo trilogy's campaigns but this seems like it will most likely be like Borderlands which means you need some friends to have a lot of fun.

It has a campaign and you can play it alone if you wish.

Jobbs

Banned
It looks very ordinary, and very much like BL, but, honestly, what else did you expect? The previous gameplay demo was obviously idealized, and that's just how those things always are.

That said, It looks fun and I'll buy it. :)

petghost

Banned
man...i was impressed by the atmosphere in the 2nd video as the player went down into that abandoned bunker, it was more skyrim than borderlands. bit of tension discovering something and not knowing what to expect.

that vibe was immediately shattered by goofy aliens dudes popping out and acting like morons.

Elixist

yay i watched one. looked ok, encounters seemed pretty boring. i liked how the gun recoil looked, seemed like an original effect which is cool. its bungie im sure if its not great they'll delay it and then force u to play shit forge maps when you dont want to buy overpriced map packs

Vire

I do kind of funny how the defense force for this game was going ballistic on the people calling it Borderlands in space.

I'm not seeing anything here to suggest otherwise.

It certainly looks a hell of a lot better than Borderlands though... and the grenades do seem dope.

I've been addicted to Borderlands 2 on Vita these past few weeks, so I can say my hype has increased for Destiny. The game does look very unfinished, byt it's an alpha. Going to wait till E3 to make some judgement

If it's anywhere near as good as Borderlands 2, I will love it.

Kelsey

Banned
Yeah but Bungie keeps calling this a "shared world shooter". I think they expect you to play with other people.
Well he was playing alone, but on several occasions you can see a second player also in the world. They didn't appear to be playing together.

benh57

Neo Member
I actually really like the numbers and bars and all that shiz. It's the RPGness that attracts me to this, not the generic first person shooting. It's why I liked Borderlands a lot.

I think those who don't like these elements are going to have to look else where. It's not like there's a shortage of FPS's. If its Halo you want, then they are still full steam ahead making those as well.

I agree. I like the slow pace, RPG, open feel of this.

Those who want a fast paced shooter have plenty.

Just wanted to help out a bit on the pro-destiny side for my First Post, since it needs it is seems.

Lasty95

It looks exactly as I've been imagining.

These videos are the more open world bits; wandering about, exploring and taking out small pockets of enemies. Looks ace to me. Nice to see a genuine random encounter in there. Don't want too many people about in one space. Running into someone should always be a peasant little surprise.

There will be focused Halo-campaign like sections, there will be large-scale public events, raids/strikes, PvP etc. It's the variety that'll make Destiny shine.

I'm completely confident in this game.

I know right, the reticule is right there not expanding and staying small, yet no one seems to take advantage of it.

It would also dramatically increase the pace. I want to see some Halo-style moves, like skillfully dipping and ducking while headshotting some trash mobs before throwing a grenade to break a tougher enemy's shields, running and firing at him simultaneously, then finishing him off with a melee attack.

Is that so much to ask for

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
I was watching a playstation live stream of destiny the other day, it did eventually get shut down. I honestly thought it looked like another multiplayer fps.

nelchaar

Underwhelmed. Feels pretty vacuous and empty. The sound needs a lot of work, and that voice acting.. My goodness.. Getting huge Borderlands vibes, minus the great art style.

But I'll reserve judgement till E3. I'm still getting it, unless it really disappoints at E3.

Nemecyst

The AI had the intelligence of captain caveman. Hope his iconic yell makes it in. So far it resembles Halo Reach and that's not close to a good thing. Graphic-wise its inconsistent as is the lighting, but those can change, along with the AI, by the time it ships. The core gameplay however......

I wish the UI and menu tried to go for a more 'Dead Space-ish' style of dynamic menu, personally.

When the player activated Ghost to enter the customisation menu, I was half-expecting it to project some sort of in-game menu system that allows you to continue immersed in the world even when you're managing your inventory/armor. That would had been cool.

And that would had worked well with all the lifebars, and combat UI moment, where I feel like they could had positioned it as something your helmet projected onto your field of vision. Right now, it doesn't look like there's the imagery of the UI being projected into your eyes by your helmet, and is instead just a separate thing of its own.

Sojgat

missed the videos but for those saying dinklage sounds bored...its intentional. he's supposed to act like a disinterested, sometimes sarcastic robot.

He's acting like a disinterested, sometimes sarcastic Peter Dinklage.

They need to alter his voice more, because he just sounds as if he's bored reading his lines.

"That wizard came from the moon" actually comes off like he's ridiculing the material.

Vire

I really hope some of the voice acting is temp...

The delivery of "the darkness could be a lot closer than we think" in the first video is downright terrible. He sounds like he's reading a fairy tale to a child.

After watching the last two videos, I can safely say that my pre-order is being kept for the time being. The open world wandering honestly looks like the sort of adventure feel I got from Skyrim and Dragon's Dogma.

Top Bottom