• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: April Update Preview

SnakeEyes

Banned
It's interesting after I think I dropped out of Destiny around October/November, so many people I saw posting in the OT at the time have since as well.

I don't know how Bungie managed to fuck it up so hard, they had so many good things in place and then just dropped the ball after TTK launched.
1460hrs across 3 characters is my involvement with Destiny. I haven't touched the game since about November last year, and this update doesn't have the content that demands I return to the game. These nerfs, even less so.

Matticers

Did they ever add the Lord of Wolves exotic to the game again? That's one weapon I've always wanted but was never able to get.

void_if_removed

Neo Member
The continued reliance on PVP to balance weapons and subclasses is absolutely killing my interest in PVE.

Taking away MIDA's stagger rounds? FFS.

It shouldn't but it does. I don't agree with it at all but since Bungie is incapable of doing changes that affects PvE/PvP separately, they focus on what users play more, which is PvP.
Do you know this for certain?

Are these numbers for the split of PvE vs PvP players available?

Out 1

1460hrs across 3 characters is my involvement with Destiny. I haven't touched the game since about November last year, and this update doesn't have the content that demands I return to the game. These nerfs, even less so.

I feel the same, with 1030 hours across 5 characters (only one, a hunter, survives). After dropping the game in October, I've briefly returned in anticipation of the inevitable update. Seeing what's the April update is bringing, I finally uninstalled the game.

Melchiah

PVP is ruining PVE

Bungie's philosophy is so dumb because PVP and PVE are two intrinsically different activities.

If they don't clearly address this being changed before releasing Destiny 2, there's no reason for PVE players to buy their product.

When are they going to cut off last gen support?
Is there a DGAF member who plays Destiny on the last gen platforms? I don't know, it's just surprising to me that they're still releasing big updates like this on those platforms.

hydruxo

I'm just really tired of the way Bungie does weapon balancing. You can't even get attached to a weapon archetype or build because who knows when they're going to come around and nerf it right into the ground. It's a huge reason why I've all but stopped playing Destiny over the last few months after putting hundreds of hours into it.

Dragun619

How come we haven't heard anything about Destiny 2 yet?

I'm hoping for X1,PS4 and PC versions.

There was word around the beginning of the year from Kotaku basically saying that it's been delayed this year.

It may help clear things up for players to know this: One of the reasons Bungie has no roadmap is that they may not know exactly what’s coming down the road. Plans for Destiny’s future are constantly in flux. As an example, just last week higher-ups at Bungie delayed “Destiny 2” out of this September, according to people familiar with goings-on at the studio. Although Bungie has not yet announced Destiny 2—which could be called something else to avoid confusion—it was essentially public information that they’d planned to release a new iteration of the game this fall, thanks to a contract leaked in 2012 that revealed the scope of their “ten-year plan” for Destiny. For a long time, Bungie had a schedule of annualized releases that would swap between “full” games (“Destiny Game 1, Destiny Game 2”) and hefty expansions (“Comet 1, Comet 2”). As of last week, that appears to have changed. (Bungie declined to comment.)

But who knows, Maybe Bungie sorted it all out now, Destiny 2 might release this year, but I hella doubt it.

This site is now up, and actually has much more useful information than most of what those streams offered:

https://www.destinythegame.com/light-journey/

Visit Your Faction (Tower)
  • Faction Reward packages now include select Chroma-enabled gear up to 330 Light
  • Exotic Engrams now grant items up to 335 Light
  • Exotic Engrams now grant items up to 310 Light (Looks like a typo, think it should be Non-Exotic)
  • Engrams now guaranteed to grant an item with Light value higher than players total Light
  • Infusion now grants 100% of the Light from the Infused item
  • Reputation gains have been increased for Crucible matches, Strikes, and Patrols
Earn Glory in the Crucible (Crucible)
  • Weekly Crucible Bounty now awards unique Crucible Weapons up to 335 Light
  • Crucible drops now include gear up to Light 310
  • Increased Legendary drop rate for all Crucible matches
  • Iron Banner now drops gear up to Light 335
  • Rank 3 package Artifact now 320 Light
  • Rank 5 package Ghost now 320 Light
  • Lord Saladin now offers both armor pieces at Rank 3, a weapon at Rank 4, and another weapon at Rank 5
  • Trials of Osiris now drops gear up to Light 335
Hunt Down Malok (Story)
  • Work with Variks to investigate a new Taken threat
  • Complete the "At the Gates" questline, and earn the Dreadfang Taken Sword (310 Light)
  • Defeat Malok in the new "Blighted Chalice" strike, for a chance to earn a new Taken Shotgun (335 Light)
Defeat Taken in the Prison of Elders (Arena)
  • Added matchmade Lvl 41 variant to Prison of Elders playlists, featuring four new Taken bosses
  • Lvl 41 Prison of Elders drops gear up to 320 Light
Entertain Variks in the Challenge of the Elders (Arena)
  • Claim a new Elders' Sigil from Variks each week to track your Challenge Mode score
  • Test your Fire team against three consecutive boss waves
  • Bosses and gameplay modifiers change each week, for a total of 16 unique encounters
  • Challenge Tickets reward gear up to 335 Light
  • 10 reprised Prison of Elders Legendary Weapons available at 335 Light
  • 3 reprised Prison of Elders Legendary Armor sets (1 per class) available at 335 Light
  • 3 reprised Prison of Elders Exotics available at 335 Light
Revisit Past Adventures
  • Unique gear from the Vanguard Heroic Stirke Playlist drop up to 335 Light
  • Tier 3 Court of Oryx will now drop gear up to 335 Light
  • King's Fall Hard Mode will now drop gear up to 335 Light
  • Exotic Engrams will now drop gear up to 335 Light
  • Non-Exotic Engrams now grant items up to 310 Light
  • New "Blighted Chalice" strike added to Normal and Heroic playlists
  • Taken variant of "Winter's Run" strike added to Normal and Heroic playlists

Melchiah

This site is now up, and actually has much more useful information than most of what those streams offered:

https://www.destinythegame.com/light-journey/

Complete the "At the Gates" questline, and earn the Dreadfang Taken Sword (310 Light)

Taken variant of "Winter's Run" strike added to Normal and Heroic playlists

Thanks for the heads up.

I hope getting Dreadfang sword doesn't involve being forced to play Crucible, like the exotic sword quest pushed PVP to PVE players.

I also wish you could choose a specific heroic strike to play, instead of having to go to the playlist, and hope you get it first. The other annoying thing with the playlist is, that it gives you the same strikes in a row.

I'm just really tired of the way Bungie does weapon balancing. You can't even get attached to a weapon archetype or build because who knows when they're going to come around and nerf it right into the ground. It's a huge reason why I've all but stopped playing Destiny over the last few months after putting hundreds of hours into it.

It's easy to know what's going to get a nerf. Bungie decides it's whatever the most used weapons and classes are in PVP, to hell with PvE. It's been this way from the beginning. Whatever comes out of this as the best weapon will be getting the next round of nerfs. It's silly.

Bungie doesn't understand or they don't care that the reason people choose certain weapons is because they are fun. And the thing that really cracks me up is we would have a lot more variety if they left everything alone from the beginning. ARs, HC, Vex, fusions, etc would still be good.

E92 M3

Same here, all guns are stripped of personality.

Melchiah

So, I tried the update last night after playing Dark Souls 3, and I found it pretty funny how DS3 never felt as frustrating, despite of its challenging nature, as the level 41 Prison of Elders with Taken did. One of the rounds with mines took half a dozen times for us to clear. I just don't get Bungie's logic of downgrading the weapons and classes, while making enemies stronger and/or more abundant.

I also tried how my favorite machine gun, Super Good Advice, plays, and the patch really ruined it with decreasing the stability considerably. I'm also not a fan of having 175 bullets, instead of 200. The extra bullets would have been handy in PoE.

On the positive side, I managed to level up from 303 to 310 in a couple of hours. 1:1 infusion is great, and the game now gives +300 gear in abundance from patrols and Court of Oryx. I'm sure they'll fix that with the next patch though.

LAA

Not sure it's been mentioned, but noticed Court of Oryx is dropping higher gear too. Got a 323 artefact from it yesterday. Not sure the max stats you can get from it though.

Melchiah

Not sure it's been mentioned, but noticed Court of Oryx is dropping higher gear too. Got a 323 artefact from it yesterday. Not sure the max stats you can get from it though.

Yeah, I got 318 rare Ghost Shell from there (or patrol, I'm not sure), and 320 Dreadfang sword from the quest.

Top Bottom