• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Beta starts in July, game tracking to record new-IP preorders

NEO0MJ

I still cannot comprehend how they're ever going to get that return on the investment, but best of luck to them... looks like they're off to a good start if they on a record breaking new IP trip right now. Looks like a sci-fi dream game, can't wait to play it personally.

These costs are all for the sake of making the brand grow, Activision are gonna sequelize the hell out of this game and offer so many DLC packs.

broony

Wrote this up as the beta seems to bring up a lot of the same questions.

How do I get into the beta?

Go to the Destiny Official Site and click on Pre order. Then select your region and preferred retailer to check who is doing beta access with preorders. Preorder from your chosen retailer and wait for an email to be sent with a code. Some sites like Amazon.com (US site) send the code straight away, others are waiting until closer to the beta date to email out codes.

http://www.destinythegame.com/uk/en/wheretobuy

But I want a code straight away, I don't want to wait.

Pre order from Amazon.com (US), regardless which country you live in. They will send a code within 5-10 minutes. Then if you wish, cancel your pre order without penalty. Kinda sucky, but some people are desperate for the codes.

I preordered and didn't get a code yet, what's up?

Some retailers are not sending codes until just before the beta launch. Amazon UK were sending codes out immediately, but it seems now they are holding off until just before the beta for newer pre orders.

Then what do I do with my code that the retailer sent me?

Enter it on the code redemption page of Bungie.net. You will need a Bungie.net profile to do this but that profile is going to be used for social and stat features when the game launches.

http://www.bungie.net/en/User/coderedemption

When do I get my beta download code?

Bungie will contact you nearer the beta to ask you to select a platform to download the beta on. This is irrespective to which platform you preordered for. You select your beta platform and a platform specific code will be sent to you.

Can I pre order for one platform and then get in the beta on another?

Yes. Order whatever you want, redeem the code and when its time, Bungie will let you pick a platform to redeem a beta code for. Order on PS4, redeem a 360 beta code, or whatever.

What else can I do on the code redemption page?

Bungie gave out trading cards last summer at various trade shows. These cards had codes on them that people figured out they could enter on the site. Nobody knows what they do yet, but it looks like it unlocks content or boosts once the game launches.

There are current 17 codes with a further 7 rumoured to be made available at e3. Enter the 17 on the code redemption page:

CODE 1: YKA-RJG-MH9 (WARLOCK)
CODE 2: 3DA-P4X-F6A (HUNTER)
CODE 3: MVD-4N3-NKH (TITAN)
CODE 4: TCN-HCD-TGY (RIXIS)
CODE 5: HDX-ALM-V4K (OLD RUSSIA)
CODE 6: 473-MXR-3X9 (HIVE)
CODE 7: JMR-LFN-4A3 (MOON)
CODE 8: HC3-H44-DKC (GJALLARHORN)
CODE 9: 69P-KRM-JJA (THE TOWER)
CODE 10: 69P-VCH-337 (DUKE MK.44)
CODE 11: 69R-CKD-X7L (THE HIVE: OGRE)
CODE 12: 69R-DDD-FCP (VALLEY OF THE KINGS: MARS)
CODE 13: 69R-F99-AXG (THE FALLENS)
CODE 14: 69R-VL7-J6A (RED DEATH)
CODE 15: 69X-DJN-74V (CABAL)
CODE 16: 6A7-7NP-3X7 (VENUS)
CODE 17: 6A9-DTG-YGN (VEX)

KeRaSh

Finally a timeframe for the beta. I was hoping it would start earlier. I wonder why they didn't announce it afficially through official channels if they were talking about it in the investors call anyways. It seems like a very low key way to reveal such information.

H3xum

My purchase of this game is banking on a beta harder than any game purchase ever has. The last video left a meh taste in my mouth.

quickwhips

I'm ready for this Borderlands with better game play always online 3 player coop game. :) I got my beta copy from amazon for PS4 this will be very telling I think if this game will be awesome or not.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
They've confirmed competitive multiplayer will be shown at E3, Beta will probably be July given the September release date.

Precog_minorityreport1.jpg

Now onto crime...

I have never played a beta for a MMO like game and was wanting to know if anything like loot and the characters we create carry over. I'm sure that the characters we create probably will, but will anything we collect be saved for the official release?

no no no and no.. don't be silly

I just ordered from US amazon, got my beta key, redeemed it at bungie.net/beta, and canceled my amazon pre order. Not sure which next gen console I'm getting otherwise I wouldn't have canceled.

Shady859

What else can I do on the code redemption page?[/B]

Bungie gave out trading cards last summer at various trade shows. These cards had codes on them that people figured out they could enter on the site. Nobody knows what they do yet, but it looks like it unlocks content or boosts once the game launches.

There are current 17 codes with a further 7 rumoured to be made available at e3. Enter the 17 on the code redemption page:

Thanks for this, redeemed them all just now and my beta was redeemed Nov 3rd definitely ready for this. I did the Amazon order/cancel trick long ago for 360 and PS4 super easy.

Anyone know if that Gamestop speeder pre-order bonus is actually just a color skin? It says better acceleration, speed and durability are upgraded in game probably the standard will be as well i'd guess.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for this, redeemed them all just now and my beta was redeemed Nov 3rd definitely ready for this. I did the Amazon order/cancel trick long ago for 360 and PS4 super easy.

Anyone know if that Gamestop speeder pre-order bonus is actually just a color skin? It says better acceleration, speed and durability are upgraded in game probably the standard will be as well i'd guess.

I bet even Gamestop couldn't explain what their own goddamn fine print means. I'd guess it's exactly the same as the default one and they took liberties with the truth.

Shady859

I bet even Gamestop couldn't explain what their own goddamn fine print means. I'd guess it's exactly the same as the default one and they took liberties with the truth.

Yea I bet they fool alot of people with that. I got the email like a week ago and thought well I better nab that bonus item as much as I hate GS. Was showing it to a friend when noticed the fine print as probable trickeration.

broony

It is faster than the default one but you can earn the same upgrades in the game. It's basically a shortcut.

Can someone sell me on this?
I have been trying to get interested in it since the reveal but something just isn't coming together.
I love Bungie, this type of sci-fi, I enjoy all sorts of shooters, I like the aesthetic, mmo elements but I just can't see the hype.

Marvel

could never
As much as it pains me, I'm skipping the beta and going in fresh.

I played Reach's beta to death, kinda took a little shine off the game when I did get it on launch.

Lasty95

Can someone sell me on this?
I have been trying to get interested in it since the reveal but something just isn't coming together.
I love Bungie, this type of sci-fi, I enjoy all sorts of shooters, I like the aesthetic, mmo elements but I just can't see the hype.

It's Halo +++

I'm curious as to how regioning is going to work with the beta. I'm probably an outlier in this case but I live in Australia but have a US PS4 and my primary PSN account is a US one. Naturally I'll also be ordering a US copy of the game from Amazon or similar, but if it involves redeeming a key with Bungie and then selecting a version, does that mean at that point a PSN key comes your way to get the beta client? Or are we heading more toward a MMO-style situation where anyone can grab the client but only people with that platform's beta access on an account you log into when starting the game are actually able to play, something maybe a bit along the lines of FFXIV's recent beta? It seems like the latter would be more likely but it's kind of putting me off getting into the beta despite being pretty excited for the game.

I can't see what's so awesome about this game. It looks like Borderlands with generic sci-fi art. Could anyone tell me in short, why should I be excited?

@Lasty95
Hey, that doesn't say much, because I've only played Halo for half an hour and didn't like it. Is there anything really substantial, or is it only the brand power?

@Interficium
I can understand basic reasoning, I'm not here to argue.

Liljagare

I'm ready for this Borderlands with better game play always online 3 player coop game. :) I got my beta copy from amazon for PS4 this will be very telling I think if this game will be awesome or not.

Needs splitscreen in order to replace B2 for me.. :p

Lasty95

@Lasty95
Hey, that doesn't say much, because I've only played Halo for half an hour and didn't like it. Is there anything really substantial, or is it only the brand power?

Brand power has nothing to do with it - Halo was in a league of it's own (although I can imagine a half hour session wouldn't necessarily sell it to you). Mechanically Destiny is much like Halo, but structurally its much more, merging MMO aspects and traditional console shooter stuff.

This vid runs through it pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5bGkqplTNY

SnakeEyes

Banned

What else can I do on the code redemption page?

Oh man, I had no idea about these! Registered them all and am keen to see what they end up being. I'd be happy if there's a weapon or two in there :)

"Hey, can somebody come take the time to come in here and disagree with me or something? Thanks."

Hey im just trying to build some interest.
its being hyped to hell here on Gaf and elsewhere and even all my Socom clanmates who basically just play Call of Duty year after year now are all hyped.

What are some good videos that really show off the scope of the game(besides E3 walktrough which I have already seen)?

Vico

Oh man, I had no idea about these! Registered them all and am keen to see what they end up being. I'd be happy if there's a weapon or two in there :)

There are.
These codes actually come from cards they distributed at events.
I have two of them, and they show what's the bonus you get.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Hey im just trying to build some interest.
its being hyped to hell here on Gaf and elsewhere and even all my Socom clanmates who basically just play Call of Duty year after year now are all hyped.

What are some good videos that really show off the scope of the game(besides E3 walktrough which I have already seen)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeDaevD7cEo

So far, it's pretty much that. They've confirmed competitive multiplayer will be playable at E3, and they'll probably demo either free-roam or some campaign footage.

There are.

Pics?

Y0j1mb0

Thanks a bunch for the codes, much appreciated. Can't wait til July for the beta.

SnakeEyes

Banned
There are.
If they show you on the card, doesn't it defeat the purpose of keeping what you get secret when you redeem them on the website... ?

I hope the E3 stuff is exciting, because I'm not as excited as I hoped to be.

If I play on the PS3, does that mean I'll get to partner with PS4 users? Feels like a stupid question, but I gotta ask.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I hope the E3 stuff is exciting, because I'm not as excited as I hoped to be.

If I play on the PS3, does that mean I'll get to partner with PS4 users? Feels like a stupid question, but I gotta ask.

It's a very very pertinent question. The answer is no though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXCst6jEVHM&list=UU6yzV_xgKn8r77FkcmZyMSg#t=77

I could've sworn they said 360 and xbone would play together and PS3 and PS4 would play together last year, but I guess they reneged on that.

damn, that sucks. Oh well, still won't be getting new consoles any time soon, so anyone on PS3 throw me an invite for the beta.

broony

I pre-ordered with amazon UK and still haven't received a beta code. This was three days ago.
Some retailers are not sending codes until just before the beta launch. Amazon UK were sending codes out immediately, but it seems now they are holding off until just before the beta for newer pre orders.

broony

I could've sworn they said 360 and xbone would play together and PS3 and PS4 would play together last year, but I guess they reneged on that.

No they never said that. They have said though that they are hoping to allow PS3 saves to transfer to PS4, and 360 saves to transfer to xbone.

funkypie

Banned

Cheers. You know of any retailers that are still sending them out? Might try gamestop uk.

Top Bottom