• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Beta Thread: Moon wizards make Pet Sounds with space magic in a bottle

What is your favorite class?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got an email linking me to the Destiny site, asking me what platform I want the beta on and what region I'm from, but when i choose it says something like "codes are not available at this time".

I already used my beta code that I got from my Amazon pre-order. Anyone else had this email?

Sorry if this has already been asked a ton, I'm too tired to read through pages

Bungie Weekly Update

Update up

Edit: In my haste, I failed to see that others had been here before me. The signs were clearly written, yet I heeded them not.

Not a bad BWU, but a little light on info.

Ah well, IGN's doing a pretty decent job with the map stuff.

I got one of my two questions answered. Limited editions are truly limited. That's all I needed.
Besides knowing if I could preload. :c

darthbob

I just got an email linking me to the Destiny site, asking me what platform I want the beta on and what region I'm from, but when i choose it says something like "codes are not available at this time".

I already used my beta code that I got from my Amazon pre-order. Anyone else had this email?

Sorry if this has already been asked a ton, I'm too tired to read through pages

Bungie mentions this in the most recent BWU. They're having some issues getting ROTW/EU Codes for PS4 but they've guaranteed that it won't impact players accessing the beta on time.

Lucent

The AF looks pretty crappy in the first clip.

Yeah. Well luckily I'll get to beta test both so I can switch sources and see how they play in comparison. lol.

Kinda hoping the X1 version is up to par just because I have Xbox credit to use and my friend on there would be more likely to play with me than my PS4 friends.

darthbob

Yeah. Well luckily I'll get to beta test both so I can switch sources and see how they play in comparison. lol.

Kinda hoping the X1 version is up to par just because I have Xbox credit to use and my friend on there would be more likely to play with me than my PS4 friends.

I'm sure it'll be fine. Although you should probably wait until we see the inevitable DF analysis on July 2xth.

Warlock is really more popular than hunter? Sigh, I guess. More than likely my 3 characters in order will be: Hunter (Bladedancer-Arc), Warlock (Void), Titan (Sol--once it is announced) [assuming every class will have 3 subclasses].

SnakeEyes

Banned
Warlock is really more popular than hunter? Sigh, I guess. More than likely my 3 characters in order will be: Hunter (Bladedancer-Arc), Warlock (Void), Titan (Sol--once it is announced) [assuming every class will have 3 subclasses].
Probably at the same time the 4th Class is announced.

My opinion will probably not change anything but I don't like DeeJ's style in the Weekly updates. It's tedious to read and it only sounds cool for 5 minutes. I wish he wrote with a plain style.

SnakeEyes

Banned
It's crazy that Bungie had to address the "why do you hate Xbox fans" in their weekly update.
Deej must have finally had enough of all the whining. Can't say I blame him - the Destiny forum is currently filled with cancer and that shit needs to be excised.

On a lighter note, I can't wait to get my Exo Warlock party-rockin' again.
lmfao-party-rock-anthem-robot-dancer-i1.gif

Lucent

I'm sure it'll be fine. Although you should probably wait until we see the inevitable DF analysis on July 2xth.

Well, it's not like I'll be able to buy either one til September. lol. And after their screw ups on some fairly recent games, kinda hard to trust them completely.

My opinion will probably not change anything but I don't like DeeJ's style in the Weekly updates. It's tedious to read and it only sounds cool for 5 minutes. I wish he wrote with a plain style.

I feel the same way. urk's updates had elaborate vocabulary but were always straight to the point. DeeJ relies on Destiny speak and I come away feeling like I've learned less.

It's more noticeable when there isn't much info to dissect, but I think this is the last "dry" update we'll have before the game ships.

SnakeEyes

Banned
I feel the same way. urk's updates had elaborate vocabulary but were always straight to the point. DeeJ relies on Destiny speak and I come away feeling like I've learned less.

It's more noticeable when there isn't much info to dissect, but I think this is the last "dry" update we'll have before the game ships.
It's PR man. I agree though, I like urk's more natural style.

blamite

Agreed, and he's even worse in podcast/video. I had to shut off the episode of Guardian Radio he was on because the cringe factor was just too high. Just talk like a normal human being! So much pointlessly flowery, elaborate language used to say so little. Someone needs to show him this.

It's no coincidence the BWU written by Urk to weeks ago was the best one in months.

"When the games begin, Bungie.net will get a serious facelift. We’ll be infusing your volatile homeland in cyberspace with some new services that will let you shine a nova-hot spotlight on just how badass you’ll become. The next evolution for Bungie.net is also about support. Or should we say help?"

This is what we've been waiting for, DestinyGAF

Agreed, and he's even worse in podcast/video. So much pointlessly flowery, elaborate language used to say so little. Someone needs to show him this.

It's no coincidence the BWU written by Urk to weeks ago was the best one in months.

That had nothing to do with their writing style and everything to do with DeeJ being away the week Bungie greenlit that info to be released.

They're both great at what they do and I'd much rather read DeeJ's creative stylings when a CM has to stonewall info than read "we're not talking about that yet" over and over or having nothing be said at all.

The rest of the month will be dedicated to Beta stuff, while August will focus on conventions like PAX and Gamescom. We'll have more Destiny media to dissect towards the end of August, and then the first updates of September will be typical launch hype (and the wait will be agonizingly long).

It's packed until release. August 8th could probably be the only other "dry" update in that timeframe.

blamite

That had nothing to do with their writing style and everything to do with DeeJ being away the week Bungie greenlit that info to be released.

They're both great at what they do and I'd much rather read DeeJ's creative stylings when a CM has to stonewall info than read "we're not talking about that yet" over and over or having nothing be said at all.
Yeah, I was kinda sorta being sarcastic about that part. Just like the one time Sketch took over for Lukems for a week and dropped a bunch of Reach bombs, it seems the substitutes always get the really juicy updates.

And true, it's better than a straight up "no comment." I'm just a bit annoyed that his predecessor was so much more entertaining. Knowing what could have been and all that.

(I still like you, Deej. I'm just not in like with you. ;))

Agreed, and he's even worse in podcast/video. I had to shut off the episode of Guardian Radio he was on because the cringe factor was just too high. Just talk like a normal human being! So much pointlessly flowery, elaborate language used to say so little. Someone needs to show him this.

Thanks for sharing. That's an interesting article.

Kaiken

Banned
Looking at threads and the chase for limited and collectors editions, I have never seen a thirst for a game like this. Hope it delivers.

XBP

Signed up for the beta. I missed out on the alpha so hopefully i'll like it enough to keep my pre-order and bump it up to the limited edition.

So I like everything about the hunter. But I've seen some people claim that Hunter's are supposed to specialize in Snipers. Is that true? I didn't know any classes had gun-specific skills. I really like that the Hunters have skills that benefit their knife and meleeing, as I love running around and meleeing in shooters.

But I'm a terrible sniper and might have to go with a different class if Hunters encourage you to snipe.

So I like everything about the hunter. But I've seen some people claim that Hunter's are supposed to specialize in Snipers. Is that true? I didn't know any classes had gun-specific skills. I really like that the Hunters have skills that benefit their knife and meleeing, as I love running around and meleeing in shooters.

But I'm a terrible sniper and might have to go with a different class if Hunters encourage you to snipe.

That's not true. Every class can use every weapon. I played a Hunter during the alpha and I was the most efficient with an assault rifle. Also, sniper rifles are Special weapons so you won't be able to use them too often.

Every class can use every weapon. So no, it's not true.

I know every class can use every weapon. I was just wondering if any class had like specific abilities that gave them an advantage with a certain weapon.

No. The closest thing to something like that would be that Hunter's special is Golden Gun, which can be used at range.. but they also get Arc Blade, which is Melee. So there's really no inherent advantage to using any specific weapon. Just play them however you'd like.

There don't appear to be any class-related perks tied to specific weapons, so you aren't going to have a better sniper rifle by playing the Hunter. However, the Hunter does have considerable range over the other classes with its Golden Gun super and throwing knife; none of the other supers or melees have as much range as the Hunter's, so one could say that Hunter's are supposed to specialize in aiming :3

The Hunter isn't all about ranged attacks though. The Arc Blade subclass with the Blade Dancer super gives you an Area of Effect chain-melee (seen below), and even the Gunslinger's Golden Gun turns your melee into a OHK.

iEnJawhzsIHHn.gif

Valkyra also had this to say:

Yes I agree except the fact that the Golden Gun IS three shots makes it great, one fire and forget with Nova is cute but not everyone will enjoy capture the point where they have higher chances of grouped up . GG shines (no pun intended) in the typical FPS flow of combat where you kill one guy then another shows up and another you remain a top threat for so long with GG it's amazing. Now talking other situations 2 shots to kill a turret user is pretty great, I forget the vehicle kill shot numbers though.

They're agile, versatile, and jump the highest, which is why they're the best!

Purely cosmetic, and maybe some slight variation in the Story section.

Also, just an observation but this thread's been up a day and a half and we're at 50 pages. Dayum...

25 for me! I saved 50% of my time changing pages by switching to 100ppp and I couldn't be happier!

It's only going to multiply from here when the beta hits. The alpha impressions thread moved ridiculously quick.

blamite

I know every class can use every weapon. I was just wondering if any class had like specific abilities that gave them an advantage with a certain weapon.
Nah, I think the idea of Hunters specializing in sniping is in refence to the fact that they have less armor so they're not necessarily well-suited to super close-range combat, but they have high speed and a triple jump that would make them well suited to reachinsniping spots. Of course, none of the classes have any advantages with particular weapons.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I love all of the armor designs for each class, but I wish the warlock's and Titan's special armor was a little more noticeable(more with the warlock). It's supposed to be an arm band, but what I remember in the alpha, it was barely noticeable. Hope some of the late game items are cool. Also, it be awesome if the Titan could get a kilt. There are never enough kilts in games.

Awwww man, just remembered that I will be out of town at a wedding for the last 2 days of the beta, which means I won't get that beta emblem. Sad face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom