• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny celebrates the best Holiday season - Festival of the Lost

Tomeru

I see this, for 3.5x the cost and evidently I'm in the wrong for thinking it's wrong. Evidently, cosmetic items shouldn't be priced cheap. Evidently, they should be more expensive. Fuck me for thinking otherwise. Clearly, my complaints are attempts at defending some group of people and white knighting some cause. I was under the impression I was just pointing out a slippery trend of greedy publishers, and I do find that to arouse indignation --- it's literally disgusting.

Well it's not really 3.5 times more expensive as it's a different product. Can't buy a delorian skin in Destiny, and you can't buy a MJ dance in rocket league, so...

Bold One

As if this will have any effect on that. "Oh no, can't play Halo now, because I need to be gouged by Bungie instead."

5d0GPNX.gif

It's a fun little event and it's not hard to get a full bag of candy. I'm surprised there isn't a mask with a 7 on it.

I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing the emphasis of the number 7 slip away from Bungie stuff, since the 7th column was in reference to the 7 members. Of which 3 are now gone, I think.

So, is there anything to gain beyond cosmetic stuff? Or is that unknown at this point?

Nope, all cosmetic.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
So are the legendary loots bags the only way to get the skull mask? And can you earn any in game? Without buying silver?

Dragun619

Oh wow, thats pretty funny.

but yea, finally, a new event. Thought we'd would get bunch lined up since the beginning with the first queens wrath event but all we got was just iron banner and trials.

Jito

Banned
This is brilliant, so much better than last years attempt at Halloween, good job Bungie!

Edit: Fuck you Eris, you tight arse, where's my candy?!

robot

I haven't been this excited since Sega decorated the PSO lobby.

Those engram masks are hilarious - can't wait to play tonight.

Makikou

This is brilliant, so much better than last years attempt at Halloween, good job Bungie!

I think this time they had much more time and material to work with. Community made these things what they are like Rahool becoming popular.

Also, god damn i love to get insulted every damn time i enter a Destiny thread. The haters are just gonna hate.

Jito

Banned
As if this will have any effect on that. "Oh no, can't play Halo now, because I need to be gouged by Bungie instead."

Who's being gouged? If you don't want it, don't fucking buy it.

I think this time they had much more time and material to work with. Community made these things what they are like Rahool becoming popular.

Also, god damn i love to get insulted every damn time i enter a Destiny thread. The haters are just gonna hate.

Yeh they've really put a lot of effort into this, new quests and all the new masks to unlock, really good content update.

I more or less agree minus the gouging bit. But I really don't think Bungie did this today because of Halo though as that comes out tomorrow and seriously? This isn't gonna stop anyone from playing/buying Halo. lol this is just a fun little distraction.

I logged on, checked out the tower (which looks really cool btw), got a couple masks and candy bags then logged off. Not much else to check out tbh. Can't ever see myself buying any emotes, but I really appreciate those that are assuming they are funding some cool DLC that drops sometime in the future.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
They got me I bought the Zombie dance and a few mask packs (with left over sliver). So far got purple tiger, lengedary engram, eris, crota and xur. Need more glue so i can legend my blue stuff. Back to the grind!

MilkBeard

And anyone reasonable would think that would make criticisms against this publisher even more viable... but looking at this thread, holy shit. This is either outright fanaticism or people willing and eager too get price gouged.

I don't follow Destiny outside of glancing over threads regarding how awfully it was produced, with cut content galore, all for the purpose of re-purposing it for piecemeal sale.

Optional cosmetics to fund game development.
Optional cosmetics to wring money out of customers.

I guess you're right. One is a nice, the other breaks your teeth.

Come on, seriously. If it was that way, they would have made us pay for the new multiplayer map. This is just a fun extra. In no way are emotes even remotely mandatory for this game.

EDIT: As for the topic itself, can't wait to log in to Destiny tonight to see what kind of masks I can get. This kind of event is cool, I think, because it makes doing basic things in Destiny more fun.

sono

Gold Member
So this game has now about as much credibility as playstation home. none. Its a joke ha ha Bungie. I am done with it.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
These emotes are so universe breaking.

Can't wait until they have future neon tattoos, varios forms of decorations and cosmetics and finally the cornerstone of f2p rpg's, a pet that will become a microtransaction blackhole.

Original game + year 1 dlc's + taken king = 140$.

Can't believe people are getting this salty over a holiday event. Got the flaming skull mask from my first bag and it looks amazing. And it does a chatter laugh!

gatti-man

Can't wait until they have future neon tattoos, varios forms of decorations and cosmetics and finally the cornerstone of f2p rpg's, a pet that will become a microtransaction blackhole.

How are they universe breaking exactly?

Sirim

Glad Bungie decorated the Tower. I was afraid Destiny was never going to make any visual changes to the Tower for holidays because of how static everything always feels.

I'd say the lack of a lot of NPCs and the small size of the Tower are a roadblock to this feeling "festive" at all, but it's a good sign for the future. Still think the Traveler should've been a giant pumpkin, though.

Is there a final reward for completing all the quests besides getting more masks ? An exotic weapon, maybe ?

Anyway, this is a pretty cool addition, and much better than last year's sorry excuse for a Halloween event.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Even if I wanted to buy the Thriller dance, I can't, because Japan is still barred from buying silver, lol.

Seriously, the country with the biggest whales is not permitted to buy silver.

KodaRuss

I bought the thriller dance. So cool, not even ashamed. This is an awesome event the Tower looks really cool. Did they bother decorating the Reef also?

Edit: Really want that Xur mask and ruin everyone's spirits by giving them crest of alpha lupi over and over.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Is Destiny decently populated in Japan?

Yeah, there are plenty of players all the time.

I mean, it's a mix of players from all regions, but you can tell when someone is Japanese based on their username.

Yet NONE of them will be crucial to actually playing the game. Burn in hell Bungie, you plebeians! Go make more more paid DLC, and not try and make it free with cosmetics that don't alter gameplay!

Are any of these masks or anything tied to microtransactions?

I hope not, because we still can't buy Silver in Japan. Still don't understand that decision.

robot

I spent way too much time standing in front of the Cryptarc with his mask on, then doing the BOO emote when someone arrives.

Walshicus

Yet NONE of them will be crucial to actually playing the game. Burn in hell Bungie, you plebeians! Go make more more paid DLC, and not try and make it free with cosmetics that don't alter gameplay!
Still need to actually see the fruit of that. For all we know we're getting content-less quests and a handful of guns between now and Destiny 2.

Truant

I thought the whole FoL was really well done, and added some needed charm and heart to the game. There's custom music, sounds, dialogue and art in the tower. If this will pay for my next expansion, then even better.

GlamFM

Banned
Love this stuff!

So far i´d say this is microtransactions done right.

Let´s wait and see how far it goes, but so far everything is fair.

I thought the whole FoL was really well done, and added some needed charm and heart to the game. There's custom music, sounds, dialogue and art in the tower. If this will pay for my next expansion, then even better.

I think this is a big misunderstanding. We wont get expansions for free, but ongoing events like this one. Quests, missions, maybe a new exotic here and there....

NOT free content on the scale of HoW or TdB.

Truant

Love this stuff!

So far i´d say this is microtransactions done right.

Let´s wait and see how far it goes, but so far everything is fair.

I think this is a big misunderstanding. We wont get expansions for free, but ongoing events like this one. Quests, missions, maybe a new exotic here and there....

NOT free content on the scale of HoW or TdB.

Ah, ok. My bad.

Top Bottom