• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny celebrates the best Holiday season - Festival of the Lost

5d0GPNX.gif

Gotta say..

Dyno

I bought the MJ dance because I've been using the same dance for a year.

Trick or Treating was really cute, the Tower looks magical, and playing with masks is good for a laugh. Also that new map should stay in the rotation.

Well done Bungie! You actually got $10 out of me and this calloused, crusty heart felt some true whimsy. I did not expect that.

Raisins? What! Why?

I bought the MJ dance because I've been using the same dance for a year.

Trick or Treating was really cute, the Tower looks magical, and playing with masks is good for a laugh. Also that new map should stay in the rotation.

Well done Bungie! You actually got $10 out of me and this calloused, crusty heart felt some true whimsy. I did not expect that.

Raisins? What! Why?

The new map is a regular addition. It is not going away with the rest of the event.

Also, it is a freaking huge map.

splattered

So for some reason I only got one free legendary package... My secondary character is able to do the quests but he didn't get a free package. Is that normal or did I get screwed out of a mask?

Uhmm I also just popped 6 engrams wearing my legendary cryptarch mask and none of them counted? Wtf?

Slermy

It's one free Legendary (purple) mask per account I believe, but your other two characters should get free Rare (blue) masks.

FyreWulff

My review of this event so far:

The fact that you can get masks is cool.

The fact that you have to glue them together to keep them is a neat concept.

The masks also nerfing your light level to keep people from infusing them and wearing them forever for the rest of Year 2 was also a good move.

The dances are hilarious and well done.

What I don't like:

- I didn't know glue was going to be a one off thing without paying. It's annoying because at first blush it seems like it's a core mechanic (get candy, get paper drops, work up to glue, glue together the ones you want to keep). So I got Skolas Legendary at first and then glued my Traveler mask that I first got since I thought I'd be able to glue all my things. And now it seems I can't.

- Being able to get the flaming skull by luck but (apparently?) having to pay for it if you didn't is eh. But Deej is saying all the masks are obtainable via regular gameplay, so who knows.

- While all the microtransactions are still cosmetics only, I dislike the fact that there is a random pull bag as an MT. Just sell the masks directly. I do not like the fact that there are gambling MTs in a game rated T for Teen.

We don't know yet if/how Xur plays into this event, so I'll hold off on a final verdict.

Lothars

- I didn't know glue was going to be a one off thing without paying. It's annoying because at first blush it seems like it's a core mechanic (get candy, get paper drops, work up to glue, glue together the ones you want to keep). So I got Skolas Legendary at first and then glued my Traveler mask that I first got since I thought I'd be able to glue all my things. And now it seems I can't.
Glue can drop from the regular packages that you get for filling your candy bag, it's just a rare drop. I didn't realize it was rare when i used mine as well but I did have one drop from the loot bag.

One of my friends and regulars in my group has quit destiny over the fact he cant get the skull mask without gambling for it.

I don't really blame him. Its bullshit and its one step closer to what feels like the inevitable, p2w. Or at least tons of great collectibles that build a have and have not culture into the game. Which it actually already had to an extent but its worse when its gated with micro-transactions.

I got lucky and got the mask with my free silver. I would be pretty bummed if I didnt though. And the more stuff like this Bungie do the less Im gonna be able to take this game seriously.

The same thing happened with Swtor. When that game went f2p and they started selling all the great new armor sets through random loot crates I was no longer able to really care about the loot grind. The armor acquirable by actually playing the game was not as cool as the shit you had to buy. So the end game died for me and I stopped playing.

If Destiny ends up getting a ton of cool stuff like shaders and ships and vanity items (which in the future may fit into a vanity slot that doesn't detract light level) that are not acquirable through normal play, its gonna seriously damper my drive to in fact play. Cause really thats the whole point. Why loot grind if the loot you want isn't grindable?

The event is great though, but dick move on the skull and it really frightens me, no pun intended, on the future of the Eververse.

Lothars

I think this is a big misunderstanding. We wont get expansions for free, but ongoing events like this one. Quests, missions, maybe a new exotic here and there....

NOT free content on the scale of HoW or TdB.
Where did you see this? from what was talked about with micro transaction it was content the size of HoW or TDB. I haven't seen them say anything about bigger content not being free.

One of my friends and regulars in my group has quit destiny over the fact he cant get the skull mask without gambling for it.

I don't really blame him. Its bullshit and its one step closer to what feels like the inevitable, p2w. Or at least tons of great collectibles that build a have and have not culture into the game. Which it actually already had to an extent but its worse when its gated with micro-transactions.

I got lucky and got the mask with my free silver. I would be pretty bummed if I didnt though. And the more stuff like this Bungie do the less Im gonna be able to take this game seriously.

The same thing happened with Swtor. When that game went f2p and they started selling all the great new armor sets through random loot crates I was no longer able to really care about the loot grind. The armor acquirable by actually playing the game was not as cool as the shit you had to buy. So the end game died for me and I stopped playing.

If Destiny ends up getting a ton of cool stuff like shaders and ships and vanity items (which in the future may fit into a vanity slot that doesn't detract light level) that are not acquirable through normal play, its gonna seriously damper my drive to in fact play. Cause really thats the whole point. Why loot grind if the loot you want isn't grindable?

The event is great though, but dick move on the skull and it really frightens me, no pun intended, on the future of the Eververse.
It supposedly can drop from the regular loot bag. I was lucky and got mine from my inital loot bag but I believe there's been confirmation of that.

FyreWulff

Glue can drop from the regular packages that you get for filling your candy bag, it's just a rare drop. I didn't realize it was rare when i used mine as well but I did have one drop from the loot bag.

It must be extremely rare then. I've turned in about 30 bags so far and have yet to get glue.

I will say they balanced the bag filling just about right. You can fill it with one game of crucible or one strike, so it's not a grind, it just happens through normal gameplay. As long as you don't forgot to put your mask back on, like I totally haven't done multiple times

spectator

its one step closer to what feels like the inevitable, p2w.

How do you figure? If a company sells green and red socks and then starts selling blue socks, is that one step closer to the inevitable orange socks?

Or at least tons of great collectibles that build a have and have not culture into the game.

Loot games are built entirely upon a 'have and have-not' structure and the sooner you're aware of that, the less frustrated you'll be.

How do you figure? If a company sells green and red socks and then starts selling blue socks, is that one step closer to the inevitable orange socks?

Loot games are built entirely upon a 'have and have-not' structure and the sooner you're aware of that, the less frustrated you'll be.

You can nitpick sentences to reply to and ask questions that were already answered in other parts of my post if you like, but this is the only response you'll get.

It supposedly can drop from the regular loot bag. I was lucky and got mine from my inital loot bag but I believe there's been confirmation of that.

Ive seen zero evidence that the skull drops from anything other than the premium boxes.

I think DeeJs comment only meant that since you hd the chance of it from your one free box that means its acquirable. Which is bullshit of course, but PR will PR.

FyreWulff

You can nitpick sentences to reply to and ask questions that were already answered in other parts of my post if you like, but this is the only response you'll get.

Bungie is still only ever going to sell cosmetics.

They literally just sold everyone "armor" that reduces your total light level. That's like the total, opposite direction of "pay to win".

cakely

I don't really blame him. Its bullshit and its one step closer to what feels like the inevitable, p2w.

Your friend quit over a 0 light cosmetic item.

Actually, it's not even a cosmetic item, it's more like a penalty ... by wearing that mask you lower your light and lose any helmet perks.

Bungie is still only ever going to sell cosmetics.

They literally just sold everyone "armor" that reduces your total light level. That's like the total, opposite direction of "pay to win".

I did not say this is p2w. I said its a step closer to it than dance emotes was. Which it is.

And then I went on to say that even without it ever going p2w, if all the cool vanity stuff ends up locked behind a pay wall it will still have a serious impact on the loot grind. People do grind for ships and shaders and other non essentials, a lot.

Your friend quit over a 0 light cosmetic item.

Actually, it's not even a cosmetic item, it's more like a penalty ... by wearing that mask you lower your light and lose any helmet perks.

Its a cool as fuck thing to wear in patrol mode and take pictures with. It doesn't really matter if its not end game applicable. Its a desirable item to people who care about more than just maxing their light level. Ive been wearing it constantly outside the weekly content, and enjoying it. It joy worthless?

FyreWulff

Xur isn't selling anything related to the event.

Tried talking to him with the pumpkin on (last year, that let you buy the bat spawner from him), nothing. Bat spawner on, nothing. Wearing the Xur mask, nothing.

LAA

Have to say really loved this event. Great steps in the right direction, it's stuff exactly like this I want to see more of.
I actually spent money on silver yesterday to buy some lost packs too, and while I usually would HATE and be totally against the idea of microtransactions fullstop, (I think I probably still am in 99% of cases), I actually feel good about it this time, because I feel like I'm supporting the next free dlc. I guess we'll see what dlc they will release. Hopefully it's the same sort of deal as taken king or house of wolves and not just one or two random story missions, but I have hope it won't be like that.

Feel sad there will be a Destiny 2 now, I think Destiny is really shaping into the game we wanted it to be from day one, perhaps even a little beyond our imagination in someways, I hoped they would just expand Destiny for a prolonged period. Only plus side for Destiny 2 is if it's this gen only, as we should hopefully get content/updates faster (Not making it for another 2 platforms anymore), and they can push the graphics some more, I think Destiny looks great on this gen, but I've felt it could be much better if optimised.

Deku Tree

My review of this event so far:

The fact that you can get masks is cool.

The fact that you have to glue them together to keep them is a neat concept.

The masks also nerfing your light level to keep people from infusing them and wearing them forever for the rest of Year 2 was also a good move.

The dances are hilarious and well done.

What I don't like:

- Being able to get the flaming skull by luck but (apparently?) having to pay for it if you didn't is eh. But Deej is saying all the masks are obtainable via regular gameplay, so who knows.

- While all the microtransactions are still cosmetics only, I dislike the fact that there is a random pull bag as an MT. Just sell the masks directly. I do not like the fact that there are gambling MTs in a game rated T for Teen.

We don't know yet if/how Xur plays into this event, so I'll hold off on a final verdict.

Late reply but

1) dismantle your legendary masks and you get your glue back. It's not a one off. You get to keep two masks without buying anything with silver. But any legendary mask you dismantle gives you glue

2) apparently the skull mask is a rare drop from your first package. The only other chance you have to get it is from the packages that you can buy for silver. Deej was stretching the truth. The skull mask does not drop from any other packages.

It must be extremely rare then. I've turned in about 30 bags so far and have yet to get glue.

I will say they balanced the bag filling just about right. You can fill it with one game of crucible or one strike, so it's not a grind, it just happens through normal gameplay. As long as you don't forgot to put your mask back on, like I totally haven't done multiple times

No glue doesn't drop from the bags after the first one. You only get to keep two masks if you don't pay with silver. Each silver packages gives you one more glue from dismantling the guaranteed legendary mask, and a chance at a second glue.

cakely

Its a cool as fuck thing to wear in patrol mode and take pictures with. It doesn't really matter if its not end game applicable. Its a desirable item to people who care about more than just maxing their light level. Ive been wearing it constantly outside the weekly content, and enjoying it. It joy worthless?

Ok, your friend quit Destiny because of a desirable cosmetic item that actually makes you less effective in combat.

That's still ridiculous.

LycanXIII

I've been filling up this damn candy bag all week now just trying to get a Skolas mask. Opened at least 10 today and nothing.

I've been filling up this damn candy bag all week now just trying to get a Skolas mask. Opened at least 10 today and nothing.

I got Skolas (it's freakin awesome btw not to rub it in or anything) but I still haven't gotten the tiger or the flaming skull (I think you might have to spend silver for this one?)

Also I've got no damn glue to upgrade my masks with >:|

LycanXIII

I got Skolas (it's freakin awesome btw not to rub it in or anything) but I still haven't gotten the tiger or the flaming skull (I think you might have to spend silver for this one?)

Also I've got no damn glue to upgrade my masks with >:|

I've gotten 3 Tiger masks today, including the one I jut turned in.

I'm heavily tempted to buy silver and spend it on some of those mystery bags so that I can keep my Skolas mask, but then I'd be a sucker to the microtransaction machine, man.

Top Bottom