• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny may require co-op play for end-game activities (Story can be completed solo)

iJudged

Banned
To summarise for the people who can't be arsed to read and just like to post shite:

• There is still a campaign that can absolutely be played in its entirety by yourself.
  • The campaign can also be played co-op if you want.
  • There are extra activities that are designed to be played co-operatively , public events , strikes and raids.
  • Raids available after the story is finished, are quite hard and will likely require you to team up with friends or match made players to be able to tackle them. This is what is being described in the articles. Nothing else.
  • There are no subscriptions other than xbox live or ps plus.
  • Bungie have said previously, there are no "pay to win" micro transactions but there will likely be micro transactions of some sort.
  • If you want to come back and play after a year or two, you can, solo or co -op.
  • as well as the story, the public events, the strikes, the raids, there is also PvP competitive multiplayer
Thank you, good info, any more?

For those who would prefer to solo, I'm sure there are plenty of people who share the same playstyle. You can easily setup a group on Bungie's forum aimed at uniting so you can group up for those raids.

BigDug13

This was probably the first detail we actually had about the game. It's literally the entire concept of the game that it's a shared-world shooter with seamless matchmaking for real time events that occur. So yeah, it is an always online game. You can go through the game without "teaming up" with anyone else, but there will be other people around in certain areas.

Not offline, but there is co-op. It's not Goldeneye or anything,

Yeah, new ideas are stupid! /sarcasm

You should read some about the game, it actually sounds quite interesting.

Why did you feel the need to avoid addressing the rest of my post? The constant anti military slant of these policies in games and pre-180 Microsoft is what I don't support. Why couldn't this stuff be accomplished via system link with friends like Gearbox is willing to do? Who cares if I see random people in the game's hubs like path of exile? The other way could have been made an option.

If the game isn't an MMO then it's just half-assed DRM.

Planetside 2 justifies its only online existence, even if it wasn't a f2p with micro transactions. But micro transactions are the real reason for the forced online on Destiny. Make no mistake.

Why did you feel the need to avoid addressing the rest of my post? The constant anti military slant of these policies in games and pre-180 Microsoft is what I don't support. Why couldn't this stuff be accomplished via system link with friends like Gearbox is willing to do? Who cares if I see random people in the game's hubs like path of exile? The other way could have been made an option.

The rest of your post was edited after I posted.

So I'll address it now.
Why must every game be designed for your specific needs? I have a PS4 with 4 games. In exactly zero of them am I required to be online for the basic experience. You are getting offended because Bungie decided to make an online game? You think Borderlands 2 is better? Don't buy Destiny, play Borderlands 2 instead. I just solved your problem.

There is no secret cabal that is setting out to screw over the military. The fact is, that some games are designed to take advantage of and utilize a resource that MOST PEOPLE have. The internet. You happen to not be one of those people. They make games for you too. Just not this one. Try not to take personal offense. You'll live longer that way.

Why couldn't this stuff be accomplished via system link with friends like Gearbox is willing to do? Who cares if I see random people in the game's hubs like path of exile? The other way could have been made an option.

The goal of Destiny is to flesh out a seamless world of single/multiplayer interactions. You seem to fail to grasp the core concept?

Then think of it as an MMO. That's a pretty black and white version of it, but it's the most correct when it comes to the things you are concerned about.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's an anti-military slant. And looking at the details (Player levels, weapon trees to spec, quests, dungeons, raids, etc...) the game pretty much is an FPSMMORPG. However Bungie is staying away from the Massively part, which makes perfect sense. Building an MMO world without performance issues is difficult enough for veteran MMO devs.

jsip

Banned
You heard it here, folks. Any game designed with co-op in mind is just a sneaky, devious, malevolent, apocryphal way to include DRM.

nofunallowed.jpg

Plenty of SP games to be had but fuck ANYONE trying to make an online, co-op focused game. Shitty DRM is all it is!

I don't even like MMO's but Destiny sounds kinda cool to me. I feel like playing solo? I play solo. I feel like joining up with randoms? Cool. Feel like co-op with friends? Ok. Everything available in one persistent world, no different game modes. No exiting out to the menu or going into waiting rooms. Seamless transitions. (apparently?) It's a world populated with new choices about how to play other than the standard fare. (or if not "new" then at least presented uniquely)

Obviously the drawback is that people without internet access are hosed, but that's the game they envisioned, and always on-line is the only way to do that without compromising the story and architecture of the game.

Now, it could all be shit. Who knows? But it's at least interesting!

Ricker

Hopefully some of it is also like Defiance or GW2 in the sense that you dont need to be in a party but everyone can join in and help and it counts for everyone,area's like that,not just solo or party stuff...

If a game isn't an MMO and has a story campaign and the game is capable of being played offline and solo, people are going to expect the campaign to be soloable. Not sure why that's a difficult concept to understand.

To be forced to find friends to finish a first person shooter campaign is a bit of a foreign concept and is definitely not the norm.

Other than the fact that destiny doesn't have an offline campaign, i just find it weird that the "Gold standard" of the FPS is some kind of 4-8 hour on rails romp. It's kind of the worst part of modern FPS games, but for some reason, it's seems like its' the thing most people react most strongly to.

Not a comment on anyone specific here, and I've looked at the same way in the past. It still just strikes me as strange that we see it as default, and then proceed to bitch about it.

[*]If you want to come back and play after a year or two, you can, solo or co -op.
The co-op endgame stuff sounds great, but this bulletpoint here gives me pause.

Why would this even have to be mentioned, and now that it has been mentioned what kind of support can we expect for this title further down the line?

Other than the fact that destiny doesn't have an offline campaign, i just find it weird that the "Gold standard" of the FPS is some kind of 4-8 hour on rails romp.
I don't get this comment either. Wanting single player is not nearly the same as wanting some 4-8 hour on-rails romp.

To summarise for the people who can't be arsed to read and just like to post shite:

• There is still a campaign that can absolutely be played in its entirety by yourself.
  • The campaign can also be played co-op if you want.
  • There are extra activities that are designed to be played co-operatively , public events , strikes and raids.
  • Raids available after the story is finished, are quite hard and will likely require you to team up with friends or match made players to be able to tackle them. This is what is being described in the articles. Nothing else.
  • There are no subscriptions other than xbox live or ps plus.
  • Bungie have said previously, there are no "pay to win" micro transactions but there will likely be micro transactions of some sort.
  • If you want to come back and play after a year or two, you can, solo or co -op.
  • as well as the story, the public events, the strikes, the raids, there is also PvP competitive multiplayer

Sounds good to me pending what the microtransactions are. If it's like Forza or Nba2k i will pass.

broony

The co-op endgame stuff sounds great, but this bulletpoint here gives me pause.

Why would this even have to be mentioned, and now that it has been mentioned what kind of support can we expect for this title further down the line?
I just mentioned this because people were making shit up about not being able to play the game if the online population died.

The point is, you don't need co-op partners to play the campaign. I think even the strikes, which are designed for around three players would probably be possible to complete alone if you are good.

Bungie are always really good at post game support in my experience. They have specifically said though that they will be adding new content in a regular basis. The game is designed to facilitate this easily.

I just mentioned this because people were making shit up about not being able to play the game if the online population died.
Gotcha, and thanks for the clarification. Its a weird thing to mention otherwise but I can see why people were concerned and thus why you spelled it out.

Top Bottom