• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny may require co-op play for end-game activities (Story can be completed solo)

statham

“We describe it in a lot of ways as sloping the floor towards socialization, without putting a requirement on it,” he continued. “I would say that there’s some sort of – if you wanted to talk about it in MMO terms, you’d say ‘end-game activities’, but some of the most intense non-competitive activities in the game do require cooperation. They require a group of players to tackle at once.

“I guess at some variable, distant endpoint we are going to say, ‘Yeah, if you show up at this door, and you don’t have five friends, you’re not going to be able to succeed,’ but the core experience that solo players have enjoyed in shooters, they’re going to be able to get that, and we’re going to pull many of them into social experiences as well.”

So, it sounds as if it won’t just be a case of these missions being too difficult to tackle alone, but rather that being part of a team will be a requirement. If you were planning on playing the role of a nomad, this might come as a bit of a blow.
http://www.vg247.com/2013/12/16/destiny-may-require-co-op-play-for-end-game-missions/
http://www.oxm.co.uk/68149/bungie-destinys-end-game-missions-may-require-co-op-play/

Update: Urk from Bungie has clarified. Please read this before responding:

Looking at the article, it's super clear why people are confused (and agitated). The OXM article states can't complete "missions" without playing co-op. Jones never says that in the GI interview. He specifically and explicitly is speaking about "end game activities," "the most intense non-competitive activities."

Missions, of course, heavily implies story/campaign. You aren't required or forced to play any story missions in Destiny as part of a co-op group.

Make more sense?
[/modpowerabuse]

Milennia

Borderlands does the same with raid encounters, they can still be solod by using gimmicks or having the proper class.

Its never any fun though -.-

I play games like this co-op pretty much 50% of the time, so i dont really mind.

Should even be expected tbh after what they have shown of this game and what they are trying to achieve with it.

Not really surprised since the game's supposed to be multiplayer focused.

Though I'm pretty sure those missions will be optional at the least. I trust Bungie, I'm sure they'll find a way for both SP and MP folks to finish the game.

Crunch King

Neo Member
Not sure why anyone should be surprised by this - Destiny is, essentially, an MMO. MMO endgame content will always require groups. Simple.

hew9753

Borderlands does the same with raid encounters, they can still be solod by using gimmicks or having the proper class.

Its never any fun though -.-

I olay games lie, this co-op pretty much 50% of the time, so i dont really mind.

The Borderlands 2 raid bosses were my first thought also. I don't really mind if some optional post-story missions require co-op play.

iJudged

Banned
Can't Fucking wait. Any word in how many people per server? Is it an mmo or? I need more info on this game.

sakipon

Oh my god cancel your pre order you fuckin whiners

What? Suddenly it's wrong to enjoy games alone?

I hate this team forcing crap, the cancer that came over from Facebook and mobile games. How about devs make co-op fun enough instead of making teams as a requirement for proceeding? Why are they always choosing the lazy path?

Zakalwe

Banned
You wouldn't expect to man a raid solo, so why would you expect to man ALL content solo in a game that clearly has MMO style designs?

This is end game, not story. This is absolutley fine.

Article is making something sensational that isn't.

Please do cancel your pre-orders if you're going to whine over this.

EDIT: We're just predicting the regular shitstorm.
Fair enough. I prefer to play alone, but if the end game missions are designed well enough, I'm in. Some of my friends are getting Destiny, but there's a good chance we'll go through it at different paces and I just don't find playing with anonymous people exciting.

No one is whining?
Oh, but they will. There will be ringing of hands and nashing of teeth and cries of entitlement.

Really though, it sounds like end game content. They specially said the core experience will be soloable. If they want to add some extra challenging content that requires group play then I see no reason to cry about it,

I hate this team forcing crap, the cancer that came over from Facebook and mobile games. How about devs make co-op fun enough instead of making teams as a requirement for proceeding? Why are they always choosing the lazy path?

Devs are lazy for not making an online game focusing on co-op better or just as good when played alone.

Blame the game designers.

They must be lazy.

2San

So they don't have to weird balance changes to for the singleplayer crowd. This is a co-op/MP game first and foremost where you can play the campaign solo.

Yeah, online multiplayer games are a by product of Facebook and mobile casual games. Hoo boy. Are you the type who would complain if battlefield didn't have a single player? Just play another game if you can't handle some optional end game group content being 'forced' upon you.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Sounds good to me. I can imagine the game play to be tighter for those missions when they know it's 100% going to be played by however many people.

Zakalwe

Banned
<<--not a happy camper.

I hope this changes.

Again: why do you expect to solo ALL content in a game built around co-op play?

You will be able to solo the campaign, but they're adding co-op only missions which will be like an MMO's dungeon or raid.

This game isn't for you if you want a purely 100% solo experience. It was never going to be that. It's enough that they'll be allowing SP completion of the main campaign.

Anion

Personally, I love MP and coop games. But, I can see a lot of people against this option

Idk, but ironically it seems that although the consoles aren't forcing online connection, the games will

Trickster

Wasn't the event with the spider tank in their gameplay unveiling something like that?

End game event doesnt mean end game missions. I'd be surprised if you needed to team up with people to have a chance a completing the story line in the game.

Milennia

Again: why do you expect to solo ALL content in a game built around co-op play?

You will be able to solo the campaign, but they're adding co-op only missions which will be like an MMO's dungeon or raid.

This game isn't for you if you want a purely 100% solo experience. It was never going to be that. It's enough that they'll be allowing SP completion of the main campaign.

A seamless transition between multiplayer and single should help some people who prefer single player, which they are trying to achieve.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Playing co-op games can be fun but a lot of the times it ruins the gaming experience....at least for me that is.

I rather play a game solo first then again on co-op. I hate it when playing co-op the first time, and your teammates just rush though everything, talk during cut scenes. I like to explore and take my time. Teammates always rush ahead wanting to get the first kill and do everything as fast as possible. Also, most of the time, co-op makes the game easier as well.

Im not complaining about Destiny...just expressing my opinion on co-op mode.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
I always play games solo before coop. If they do this I won't be a happy camper.

Dont be a happy camper then, it looks pretty obvious from the very beginning of Destiny's conception that it was built to be a co operative title.

As someone that did all the halo's on co op after playing through them solo initially, i can happily say i prefered it with friends and that.....I CAN NOT WAIT FOR DESTINY

Hip Hop

I really hope this type of feature becomes more common.

Servers where people are doing their own missions while I do mine.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Playing co-op games can be fun but a lot of the times it ruins the gaming experience....at least for me that is.

I rather play a game solo first then again on co-op. I hate it when playing co-op the first time, and your teammates just rush though everything, talk during cut scenes. I like to explore and take my time. Teammates always rush ahead wanting to get the first kill and do everything as fast as possible. Also, most of the time, co-op makes the game easier as well.

THis is actually completely valid and something I didnt think about, when it comes to my friends. We all look forward too seeing the story sections and don't play like that.....School your friends :D Tell them to chill out

Awntawn

What you're describing though are usually singleplayer campaigns designed and balanced for one person with what is essentially shoe-horned co-op into it. Destiny is a game that is being designed from the ground up as a co-op game. I'm sure they take most of these problems into consideration.

Also find non-assholes to play co-op with. Helps alleviate a lot of those issues on its own ;D

Really though, I understand that some of you don't like playing online. That's ok. I feel sorry for you because despite the assholes and other hassles it is the pinnacle of gaming to me but I understand that for some people tie just highly unenjoyable.

That said, there are plenty of single player games out there. Not every game has to cater to to you. This one specifically is designed as a multiplayer game from the ground up. Solo play is almost guaranteed to be inferior.

HAVING SAID THAT: put your minds at ease. This sounds like optional, post game content. Bonus stuff for the hardcore. Them will still be a full solo campaign.

See and this is something I don't want to be forced into. If you are going to do a game like this solo play should always be an option.

Top Bottom