• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny : New info on game modes, abilities, player count, and more

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
As many of you know, a big media embargo for Destiny was lifted at 10am Pacific on Monday, and several media outlets released preview videos and write-ups, and Bungie themselves released a new gameplay trailer. What you might not know, however, is that there's been a ton more info made public since Monday. Some of the outlets that released previews on Monday were withholding information to release later in the week, and some of that info has been really juicy. There's also been some great fan-made analysis videos, as well as some explanations / clarifications straight from Bungie staff (namely: Urk).

The information released since Monday has been enormously helpful in getting a feel for how Destiny works. My hype train is back on the rails and chugging along full force. This thread already exists, and I don't want to create a redundant thread, but the OP isn't being updated and these details are too good to be buried!

Okay, let's dig in.

• Official Destiny Strike Gameplay: The Devils' Lair (7:16). This is the new trailer from Bungie. A lot of people (including me) found it underwhelming, but you can judge it for yourself.
  • This analysis video (15:00) makes the official trailer ten times more interesting. If you only have enough time to watch one of these videos, make it this one. Datto does a great job of scouring the trailer for details and offers some great information / speculation. Bungie tweeted about this video on Wednesday, saying "[Datto has a] sharp eye for detail. Time will tell if he's 100% correct."
  • Update: Datto has released a second video. This one is focused on summarizing all of the week's news rather than analysis and speculation. It's a good way to quickly catch up on all the info if you haven't watched / read the other coverage.
  • Playstation Access has released a new video each day since Monday. The first one (12:29) is the best, in my opinion.
  • This Rooster Teeth video (6:05) released on Tuesday does a decent job of explaining Destiny's different game modes.
On Wednesday, Urk came into the most recent Destiny info thread to offer some really fantastic clarifications:

Raids are activities that you can do with six of your friends, where all six people are participating as a single group. These may be limited to being late-game activities.
I summarized that bit of info -- you can follow the full quote trail here.

Can you comment on the openness of Patrol Mode for those that criticized how linear the gameplay looked in the video? Can't wait for the game.

Sure. I actually ran around an empty Patrol in our theater just to demonstrate the size and variation of our spaces. Patrols are a singular embodiment of the "activities for every mood" mantra we keep talking about. You can pick up objectives offered by City Factions on the fly, ignore them altogether and hunt for treasure and enemies, go in alone or with a Fireteam, jump into public events, hop on a Sparrow and whip around doing sweet jumps off of airplane wings, or just fight enemies to level up your abilities, weapons, and gear.

Campaign gives you a more bright line through the world, with cinematic bookends and private encounters. Patrols beg you to wander and make your own fun.
That being said, say if you're on earth and you jump into lets say Moth yard, then can you traverse the entirety of the surrounding areas? Could you make it all the way up to King's Watch and beyond?

It's continuous and connected, yup. In fact, the opening of the Strike is also connected and accessible in the same way. Rooster Teeth reported in running into a random boss before entering the strike proper. That's a public event, and you could tackle it with a mixed group comprised of players in the strike, playing campaign, and on Patrols.

Once you head into the Strike proper, it becomes private automagically.

Thanks for the answers Urk. That really sounds great.

BTW, can you comment anything on alternate control schemes? More specifically, I'd love to know if Bumper Jumper will make a return (or a close equivalent, at least)

Lars is a human freak and plays a controller mapping so radical the government put him on the no fly list. I don't know if BJ is in by name, but there are a healthy amount of options and tweaks.

Sounds like we might finally get the controller customization options that Halo fans have been asking for for the past decade, lol.

UPDATE:

Bungie just tweeted this Gamereactor.eu summary article. There's no exclusive info or anything, but it touches on a lot of the new information in a single three page article, which is convenient if you don't want to watch a ton of videos.

Some select quotes:

THE MODES: You can play Destiny multiple ways, entering each location giving you a series of options on how to explore. Patrol is the most free-roaming of all, letting you wander each area as you see fit, picking up jobs through audio beacons, salvaging loot and tackling enemies. There is a story-driven Campaign that can be played solo (though you still need to be online), which will be more directed. Focused combat missions come in thirty-minute Strikes, which direct you to multiple objectives in specific areas of the map and culminate in a boss encounter. Raids are later, larger versions of these, pulling in multiple fireteams. There's also the PvP Skirmish mode, though you need to play through a couple of hours of the game before you unlock it.

There'll be multiple locations to travel to around Earth, and the stars beyond. Each offers a sprawling sandbox to explore - the E3 demo of Old Russia is but a tiny corner of that particular locale - and you choose exactly how you explore through The Director, a menu-driven guide to the worlds that gives you a list of modes to choose from, which define your time on the ground.

XP increases, gaining gear and earning upgrades are divided across a few systems. By killing enemies you earn XP. But the game's main drive isn't hitting the level cap; you'll reach that in a few days of solid playing. Instead, Bungie want you focused on weapon upgrades and pimping your character - the "horizontal growth" according to Investment Lead Tyson Green.

"The point where [the levelling] stops, [players have] already moved on to gear function and collection...," he explains during a roundtable Q&A on the subject during a post-play break. "It works similar to Diablo, in the sense that it really is about going on to the horizontal growth, trying new abilities and new builds, new weapons. With that same element that ‘I'm growing more powerful as a character, so I can do the harder activities'."

Unlike Halo, you can't steal weapons off dead bodies on the battlefield. Downed enemies will drop ammo, colour-coded to represent bullets for your primary, secondary, or heavy weapon.

[snip]

But enemies do occasionally drop loot, and loot can also be found hidden around locations or in chests. Loot's colour-coded as well; green's common, blue rare and gold for exotics. Not all will be specific to your Class, nor be available to use until you've XPed to a certain level. Some will come as encrypted data that needs unlocking back at The Tower.

While you're locked to a three-weapon loadout on the field, you carry multiple guns and gear with you at all times - each customisation category box opens up to a larger grid to offer more choices.

The exact limit of this is yet to be decided, but each player will have a personalised Vault back at The Tower to store excess equipment. The idea is to allow you to change up your load-out to match the situation. However, there's no shortcut to have customised load-outs available at a button press, and switching weapons means your new choice materialises with no ammo. "The idea is that you don't switch between them endlessly," explains Lead Designer Lars Bakken of the decision. "It doesn't mean you won't have ammo for them. Within the next kill [downed enemies] drop ammo for that weapon."

"What we're showing now - Strike, Patrol, The Tower - is a sampling of what we'll bring to bear in the beta," says Osborne. "We want to make sure people are getting their hands on pretty much all the core activity lines... we want to make sure there's a healthy amount of content that they can have those experiences; get into a fireteam, check out a public event. All the things that are important and native to the experience, without spoiling the entirety of the game."
Beta tease!

So yeah, I hope you all find this thread helpful! And I hope the mods don't lock it for being redundant! I'll keep the OP updated as more info surfaces. :)

choo choo!

hypetrain.gif

Hype train in full force, onward to E3!

• Official Destiny Strike Gameplay: The Devils' Lair (7:16). This is the new trailer from Bungie. A lot of people (including me) found it underwhelming, but you can judge it for yourself.
  • This analysis video (15:00) makes the official trailer ten times more interesting. If you only have enough time to watch one of these videos, make it this one. Datto does a great job of scouring the trailer for details and offers some great information / speculation. Bungie tweeted about this video earlier today, saying "[Datto has a] sharp eye for detail. Time will tell if he's 100% correct."
  • Playstation Access has released a new video each day since Monday. The first one (12:29) is the best, in my opinion.
  • This Rooster Teeth video (6:05) released on Tuesday does a decent job of explaining Destiny's different game modes.

these are really great :)

Flipyap

I feel sort of gross for posting this again, and it still sounds super weird, but the ad for a retailer exclusive pre-order bonus space bike paint job is one of the most informative and exciting videos we got this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZRtkGiuxhw

That's the most of the Old Russia open world area we got to see so far, plus the first time we got to see a guardian summoning their mount Sparrow. In mid-air.

broony

Nice Summary, thanks for writing that up.

I thought the two Eurogamer articles had some interesting stuff in them:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-28-getting-to-play-destiny-better-than-halo

Talking about the strike gameplay:
Our Strike was a self-contained affair, crafted to make a point: that Destiny really is a shooter in which you can have a blast shooting aliens with your friends, that the 30 seconds of fun gameplay loop that served Halo so well for so long is alive and kicking, and that in Destiny you can throw a grenade into a pack of enemies and watch bodies burn. Point proved. Destiny is a hell of a lot of fun.

But as the bullets are flying it's easy to forget Destiny is a "shared-world shooter". We'll be reminded of this later, perhaps while we're on a Patrol, collecting docking caps for some quest we just picked up from a beacon, darting around a huge map on our Sparrow one second, the next dismounting in the blink of an eye, shooting Fallen, opening a loot chest, summoning our Sparrow and mounting it in the same slick move, then speeding off into the distance.

The hunt for better and better loot will keep me going for months, but Destiny's emergent massively multiplayer gameplay is what will keep me playing for years.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-turns-into-diablo-when-you-hit-the-level-cap

Talking about progression and the expanding world:

So when your first character unlocks PvP, you're a little bit further into the game. You've probably done one or two of the campaign missions, probably unlocked a special weapon and your super ability. And then once that's happened we unlock it for all the characters on your account. Once you know how the game works, if you want to take a Hunter into PvP at level three, yeah, we're okay with that. You know what the game is at that point, so that's your decision to make."

When Bungie talks about adding something new to the Destiny world every day, it's referring to a raft of content. New activities will be on the high end of the new daily content, but realistically what we're looking at here for the most part are new challenges, achievements and gear to obtain. "But there will be something new to do every single day," Parsons insists. "And that's cool to think about from a planning perspective. We have the time to do it right."

It's an enormous endeavour, and one that goes some way to explaining why a whopping 500 people are working on the game at Bungie's Bellevue studio as we speak.

There is a lot more in the articles.

Tekku

I would really like to see some gameplay from these open areas where they just walk or fly around and show the size and freedom. :)

viveks86

Nice Summary, thanks for writing that up.

I thought the two Eurogamer articles had some interesting stuff in them:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-28-getting-to-play-destiny-better-than-halo

Talking about the strike gameplay:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-turns-into-diablo-when-you-hit-the-level-cap

Talking about progression and the expanding world:

There is a lot more in the articles.

Yeah the Eurogamer preview seemed the most thorough. In comparison, a lot of other previews seemed like blog posts discussing their feelings

I would really like to see some gameplay from these open areas where they just walk or fly around and show the size and freedom. :)

Maybe they want you to be the first to experience doing that. There are multiple planets in the game, yet they keep showing the same "small" area around the Wall in Russia for gameplay - I bet they're keeping it super small in scope in time for the beta. I say "small" because upon closer inspection the areas shown have been pretty large if you don't focus just on the action.

Especially when you look at all the b-roll footage from this video (and consider that whole romp through the wall from E3): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYLQfp_-Cv8

I wonder if you can dive off cliffs in this game. Is that possible without automatically dying if water is down below or what?

Metfanant

I'm really hoping I like what I see when they take the wraps off competitive multiplayer at E3...because most of what I've seen up to this point is a snoozefest

I don't understand the plan with this game. Right now, it seems like a standalone game (like any MMO) and will be continuously updated but, we know they plan to release $60 DLC in Fall 2015 and Destiny 2 in Fall 2016. I wonder what they mean when they talk about these "new activities". I hope Activision isn't trying to get more than their annual $120 per customer. . .

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
While playing Destiny you'll sometimes find gear that's beyond your character. This is where the Vault comes in. If you find a powerful weapon you want to keep for later, or even another character class, you can pop it into your Vault and trade it between your characters.

Trading is limited to characters on the same player account, however. There's no Destiny auction house, and it doesn't look like Bungie will add one to the game any time soon, but trading items between characters on different accounts is "certainly interesting and it's something we'll have to investigate", design lead Lars Bakken told Eurogamer.

I'm bummed out about this, but it's probably for the best.

Akai__

Will this game have a traditional mp like Halo and CoD?

Yes. They said, you will have to travel to an arena in the actual game, to take part in MP games.

However, we don't know anything about it yet, but I think they said E3 will have MP matches? Not sure on that.

a.wd

I feel sort of gross for posting this again, and it still sounds super weird, but the ad for a retailer exclusive pre-order bonus space bike paint job is one of the most informative and exciting videos we got this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZRtkGiuxhw

That's the most of the Old Russia open world area we got to see so far, plus the first time we got to see a guardian summoning their mount Sparrow. In mid-air.

...chief?...at the end of that video is it just me or....

Pop

Yes. They said, you will have to travel to an arena in the actual game, to take part in MP games.

However, we don't know anything about it yet, but I think they said E3 will have MP matches? Not sure on that.

In the Rooster Teeth video, Bungie explained that we will have fun mp modes and more competitive mp.

Now I'm taking that as starting off more even footed in the more serious modes. If that's true then my hype levels just exploded.

Kane1345

Great info, especially that first analysis video. There was a lot of stuff he picked up on that I barely even noticed. Can't wait for the beta in the summer :)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

I think the "travelling somewhere to play PvP" thing might just mean selecting a location from the same map we saw in the Devils' Lair trailer. The map is essentially a menu, as far as I can tell. You select a location, and you see your little customized space ship take you there.

So, I'm guessing getting into PvP is as simple as selecting an option from a menu.

In the Rooster Teeth video, Bungie explained that we will have fun mp modes and more competitive mp.

Now I'm taking that as starting off more even footed in the more serious modes. If that's true then my hype levels just exploded.
Seriously. It was really good to hear that. I hope they pull that off well.

Obscured

Finally getting the details. Feels like they have put a ton of thought into this, can't wait to see how it comes together.

I'm liking what I hear so far, but wonder how that unlocking PvP will sit with some people. Seems like the kind of thing that actually won't be a big deal and could reduce some issues that can happen with matching up players, but not being able to jump straight in seems like something that will cause a bit of upset for some.

As far as options I hope there are some HUD options. I'd love to be able to turn some stuff off. I know in the other thread there are those that want more and it'd be great to accommodate everyone, but I don't have a high expectation for that to occur.

I keep bringing it up, but I want to be able to pre-order digitally.

broony

Yeah I want a digital collectors edition. Let me have the fancy loot but let me keep the game permanently installed on my PS4 ready to play at any time, nice and quietly.

i was already on board when the game was revealed. i should just wait until the game is out before reading anything about the game :D

MDSLKTR

Still my most anticipated game of the year, I personally know a few people that are waiting just for this before jumping on the next-gen consoles.

Santiako

Still my most anticipated game of the year, I personally know a few people that are waiting just for this before jumping on the next-gen consoles.

Like me. If they don't announce a pc version, I'm getting a next gen console for this (probably a ps4).

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Bungie just tweeted this Gamereactor.eu summary article. There's no exclusive info or anything, but it touches on a lot of the new information in a single three page article, which is convenient if you don't want to watch a ton of videos.

Some select quotes:

THE MODES: You can play Destiny multiple ways, entering each location giving you a series of options on how to explore. Patrol is the most free-roaming of all, letting you wander each area as you see fit, picking up jobs through audio beacons, salvaging loot and tackling enemies. There is a story-driven Campaign that can be played solo (though you still need to be online), which will be more directed. Focused combat missions come in thirty-minute Strikes, which direct you to multiple objectives in specific areas of the map and culminate in a boss encounter. Raids are later, larger versions of these, pulling in multiple fireteams. There's also the PvP Skirmish mode, though you need to play through a couple of hours of the game before you unlock it.

There'll be multiple locations to travel to around Earth, and the stars beyond. Each offers a sprawling sandbox to explore - the E3 demo of Old Russia is but a tiny corner of that particular locale - and you choose exactly how you explore through The Director, a menu-driven guide to the worlds that gives you a list of modes to choose from, which define your time on the ground.
The Director is the map menu I was talking about in one of my posts above. I'm guessing that getting into PvP will be as simple as selecting it from The Director.

XP increases, gaining gear and earning upgrades are divided across a few systems. By killing enemies you earn XP. But the game's main drive isn't hitting the level cap; you'll reach that in a few days of solid playing. Instead, Bungie want you focused on weapon upgrades and pimping your character - the "horizontal growth" according to Investment Lead Tyson Green.

"The point where [the levelling] stops, [players have] already moved on to gear function and collection...," he explains during a roundtable Q&A on the subject during a post-play break. "It works similar to Diablo, in the sense that it really is about going on to the horizontal growth, trying new abilities and new builds, new weapons. With that same element that ‘I'm growing more powerful as a character, so I can do the harder activities'."

Unlike Halo, you can't steal weapons off dead bodies on the battlefield. Downed enemies will drop ammo, colour-coded to represent bullets for your primary, secondary, or heavy weapon.

[snip]

But enemies do occasionally drop loot, and loot can also be found hidden around locations or in chests. Loot's colour-coded as well; green's common, blue rare and gold for exotics. Not all will be specific to your Class, nor be available to use until you've XPed to a certain level. Some will come as encrypted data that needs unlocking back at The Tower.
I wonder what that encrypted data bit means.

While you're locked to a three-weapon loadout on the field, you carry multiple guns and gear with you at all times - each customisation category box opens up to a larger grid to offer more choices.

The exact limit of this is yet to be decided, but each player will have a personalised Vault back at The Tower to store excess equipment. The idea is to allow you to change up your load-out to match the situation. However, there's no shortcut to have customised load-outs available at a button press, and switching weapons means your new choice materialises with no ammo. "The idea is that you don't switch between them endlessly," explains Lead Designer Lars Bakken of the decision. "It doesn't mean you won't have ammo for them. Within the next kill [downed enemies] drop ammo for that weapon."
I thought that was really interesting.

"What we're showing now - Strike, Patrol, The Tower - is a sampling of what we'll bring to bear in the beta," says Osborne. "We want to make sure people are getting their hands on pretty much all the core activity lines... we want to make sure there's a healthy amount of content that they can have those experiences; get into a fireteam, check out a public event. All the things that are important and native to the experience, without spoiling the entirety of the game."
Beta tease. :)

woolley

Raids are activities that you can do with six of your friends, where all six people are participating as a single group. These may be limited to being late-game activities.

So is it six or seven people in a group. The two halves of the sentence are saying different things.

broony

This sounds cool:

At one point in our third play of the Strike, Peter directs us to the end of one corridor after our Horde-like encounter with waves of multiple nasties. There's a massive hole burrowed through the earth, which he leads us down into. He points out the network stretches on for kilometres, and if followed, would take us through high-level enemies and loot, and eventually spill us out into the massive valley which was demoed at that morning's presentation. We only have to stick to our path if we want a quick Strike; there's good reason to range further.

http://www.gamereactor.eu/articles/...On+with+Bungie's+Shared+World+Shooter/?page=1

Not liking the sound of MP with loot you earn in the Sp/Co-Op side of things.

Hopefully they have a neutral mp mode where everyone can play something like a maxed out character ala Guild Wars.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Thank you for this thread. I missed most of these videos because I bailed out of the thread about the trailer since so many people were just shitting on it. Will check out after work.

RSB

Banned
Destiny sounds like my dream game. A sci-fi/fantasy hybrid universe with the tight FPS gameplay mechanics of Halo and the sense of adventure and exploration of games like Skyrim. Oh yeah.

Plus Bungie's skyboxes. :drools:

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Thank you for compiling this! I've been having a hard time following Destiny.
So I'm actually going to be playing the 360 version of the beta and possibly the final release.

Flipyap

I'm not. It ruined Diablo 3 until it was shut down for good
How could a completely optional thing ruin anything? I never used it, so it didn't affect my Diablo 3 experience in any way.
What IS affecting my Diablo 3 experience right now is not being able to trade with anyone in any way. It's an extremely restrictive design choice that makes co-op less about working together towards a shared goal (increasing the numbers on your hat), and turns it into little more than a way of lowering difficulty.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
so whats the max pvp player count? and how does pvp work?
Here's everything I know about PvP, off the top of my head. It isn't much.

• Gear will transfer from PvE to PvP.
  • PvP will take place in some physical location within the larger game world. Getting there may be as simple as quick travelling via the main menu map ("The Director").
  • There won't be weapons available to pick-up on maps, but there will be ammo. So rather than each team vying for the rocket launcher, like in Halo, they'll be vying for heavy weapon ammo, which can be used in any of the various heavy weapons.
  • Kill times will be a bit quicker than in Halo. It's unclear whether the different classes will have different amounts of health in PvP, though that seems to be true for PvE.
  • There will be various PvP modes / gametypes. Some will feature all / many of Destiny's gameplay options, and some will be more stripped down, with the apparent goal of offering more of an "equal playing field" experience. We have no clue how that'll look.
  • PvP will be playable at E3 and in the beta.
How could a completely optional thing ruin anything? I never used it, so it didn't affect my Diablo 3 experience in any way.
What IS affecting my Diablo 3 experience right now is not being able to trade with anyone in any way. It's an extremely restrictive design choice that makes co-op less about working together towards a shared goal (increasing the numbers on your hat), and turns it into little more than a way of lowering difficulty.
Yeah, I'm kind of bummed about that. Exchanging surprise gifts with my friends in Borderlands 2 was really fun. Earning everything for myself will be fun, too, of course.

Top Bottom