• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny new Reef hub was actually playable back in early 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Twitter said:

Here is the new area from a February 2013 trailer, and then from the House of Wolves teaser trailer released today:
CDLyVB4WIAA9DKJ.jpg
CDLyWGNW0AA_CkS.jpg

Not sure why they would show if off so early before the game launched if it had not once been part of the main game. More than two years later and it will finally be released as the centrepiece of a paid-for expansion.

I thought all pub's showed off 3 years of season pass DLC before the release of an actual title these days?!

this is normal isn't it?

There has already been multiple threads about this. We all know 60 percent of all the dlc was there from the beta.

I have no idea what the hell bungies artists are doing, probably working on destiny 2,3,4,5

Nabbis

Next year they will announce Destiny 2 and swear that everything will be different. This time, only 80% of the content shown on the gameplay trailers will be cut.

Nabbis

Isn't it well established that they cut crazy amounts of content for the finished game?

I suspect it was not really finished. But based on what we got, development was a clusterfuck of ego cockfights.

The areas of these DLCs were already accessible in Beta by glitching etc.

Destiny is an awesome game but such a fucking cash grab that it is disgusting.

It was manufactured not as a game but as a cash grab. From the very beginning. Activision is lucky that it was Bungie who did the "game" part because Bungie is top quality.

There was a lot of stuff in the trailers that is not in the final game. This game overall was nothing like they announced, where did the 500 million dollars go!?

SgtCobra

We knew this already though. We also knew Bungie were screwing us over when it came to content, but hey, there's nothing we can do as they've already shown they don't care about people being angry and whatnot so yeah.
*goes back to pvp*

Joni

It is not that surprising. Unfinished content gets left on the cutting floor sometimes, but they can always go back and finish it for DLC, patches or a sequel.

GlamFM

Banned
"Playable" is made up, of course.

But who cares, right?

We´re trying to start a fire here!

It is not that surprising. Unfinished content gets left on the cutting floor sometimes, but they can always go back and finish it for DLC, patches or a sequel.

This is it. Everybody will ignore you BTW.

wrowa

The game was completely different back in early 2013. I assume it was an activision decision. Horrible.

More likely that the project turned out to be too overambitious and that they simply needed to cut corners in order to be able to release a finished product.

Destiny is an awesome game but such a fucking cash grab that it is disgusting.

It was manufactured not as a game but as a cash grab. From the very beginning. Activision is lucky that it was Bungie who did the "game" part because Bungie is top quality.
It's not like Bungie did a phenomenal job with the actual game though, it's greatest strength is that it plays well but it still has a bunch of problems.

Arttemis

More likely that the project turned out to be too overambitious and that they simply needed to cut corners in order to be able to release a finished product.

I doubt that. Activision has a habit of rushing games, regardless of scope. Diablo 3 was launched with itemization and difficulty scaling blatantly unfinished, and without logical progression. The game was sold incomplete.

At least D3's patches were free. Destiny was released unfinished, but they're selling season passes and DLCs to 'complete' it.

GlamFM

Banned
And even if it was 100% finished and ready to go 3 years ago (it was not) - what makes you think you were entitled to it when the game came out?

It absolutely up to the dev how and when they want to sell their product.

Your job is to decide for yourself if it´s worth it to you.

Arttemis

And even if it was 100% finished and ready to go 3 years ago (it was not) - what makes you think you were entitled to it when the game came out?

You mean the publisher, who pushes deadlines and decides what is kept in and sold later.

GlamFM

Banned
You mean the publisher, who pushes deadlines and decides what is kept in and sold later.

Popular assumption, i´ve often been told it´s not actually true most of the time.

Turns out devs like money just as much as publishers or you & me.

Stacey

Banned
Still looking forward to it. But man it does make you think what else bungie have been holding back from us since 2013.

Arttemis

Popular assumption, i´ve often been told it´s not actually true most of the time.

Turns out devs like money just as much as publishers or you & me.

Considering not every developer gets residuals... or even bonuses unless their game hits an arbitrary metacritic score, I doubt that's the case. They're contracted or in house employees who get paid a wage/salary to make games. The profits go to the executives who decide what gets made next.

This is all well and good when a game has loads of content... but Destiny was pretty light on. Most people agree about this. That the game would surely have benefited from more content.

You are of course right, but Destiny is a pretty easy target.

I thought it was common knowledge that they cut content from the maingame too make into DLC?

Exactly. I have no idea why anyone should be surprised at this.

I'm still hoping this DLC can be good and bring me back in seeing as I already paid for it like a true sap.

Omni

It was in the trailer to promote the game. Not the season pass. Not the DLC. The actual game.

You shouldn't be defending this shit. Even if you like Destiny as I do. It's blatantly misleading. Destiny isn't the product that was advertised to us.

wrowa

But as a consumer you are basing your decision to buy a game on the pre-release materials provided by the developers. If you feel that a game is not what the developers have advertised for several years, then you are absolutely justified to feel deceived.

Of course, you can say that people shouldn't blindly buy games on day 1, but that's just not always a good advice for games that are heavily focused on online play.

MJLord

This is all well and good when a game has loads of content... but Destiny was pretty light on. Most people agree about this. That the game would surely have benefited from more content.

You are of course right, but Destiny is a pretty easy target.

Then don't buy anymore Destiny games. Call it what it is, light on content.

GlamFM

Banned
Do you not agree that completed content should not be held back for a potential cash grab post launch?

Sure, we'll never find out but it certainly makes you wonder.

Do not agree, no.

You´re not entitled to it just because it was there

That has always been the weirdest thought to me.

It´s their content, they created it and they can sell it to you however they want.

When you buy it it does not really matter when it was done - before or after the game was released - it´s still the same content.

The difference is just in your head.

I think if a dev shows off parts of a game before release and neglects to tell everyone it has been cut out well ahead of release then you're fully entitled to it.

False advertising, but because the lies and misrepresentation are from gaming shows and trailers spread through gaming sites they get to skip around the law that is in place to ban such shit.

ZehDon

Why does Bungie keep doing this?
Because at worst, you get "Destiny". If it somehow comes together at the 11th Hour, you get "Halo 1-3".

Of course, Bungie's l'aise en fe style is now bumping up against Activison Blizzard's unwavering contractual release schedule. The season pass has been almost entirely made up of things we saw pre-launch, and it's obvious that this was not part of the original plan.

GlamFM

Banned
I think if a dev shows off parts of a game before release and neglects to tell everyone it has been cut out well ahead of release then you're fully entitled to it.

False advertising, but because the lies and misrepresentation are from gaming shows and trailers spread through gaming sites they get to skip around the law that is in place to ban such shit.

It was in the trailer to promote the game. Not the season pass. Not the DLC. The actual game.

You shouldn't be defending this shit. Even if you like Destiny as I do. It's blatantly misleading. Destiny isn't the product that was advertised to us.

Was it though? It was in some E3 trailer - I remember that - but was it actually in commercials when the game launched?

Stuff changes - that´s how it goes.

Then don't buy anymore Destiny games. Call it what it is, light on content.

Well yeah, I'm not about to sign up for the Destiny lynch mob and I don't believe this content was "complete" back in 2013 or even at launch. Just saying it doesn't surprise me at all that people would jump on this.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Never buying a Bungie game at launch ever again. Rental to make sure they're not lying their fucking teeth out, and then budget purchase at price crash.

I thought Halo 2 was going to be the lowest they ever sank, but Destiny was some next level bait and switch shit. Everybody there should be thoroughly fucking ashamed.

Was it though? It was in some E3 trailer - I remember that - but was it actually in commercials when the game launched?

Well no, because it was cut by then.

I just think that after two years they could have adapted the space more. Rather than reheating it exactly as it was.

MJLord

Well yeah, I'm not about to sign up for the Destiny lynch mob and I don't believe this content was "complete" back in 2013 or even at launch. Just saying it doesn't surprise me at all that people would jump on this.

I'm with you on that.

Any chance for some people to jump down devs throats.

Stuff changes - that´s how it goes.

No it was not in commercials, they cannot use false advertising there without punishment.

They cleverly keep their lies to places where they can get away with it.

Doesn't not make it false advertising,and doesn't make it highly moral either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom