• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Only one area per planet

AHA-Lambda

It's an MMO even if it's MMO fps. Anyone want to bet how many areas they're adding via expansion DLC? Borderlands 2 managed to add great stuff like sand sea area, so I'm not about to get rage mode on yet.

I keep seeing people say this, How on earth is Destiny an MMO?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Oh please, no man's sky looks to have absolutely no depth in gameplay or world. As shallow as a puddle

We don't even know the full extent of the gameplay in NMS yet. And IMO the worlds you get to explore in that game look far more alive and interesting than the empty, barren wasteland that is Old Russia. Also, how "deep" is the gameplay in Destiny, really? All you do is variations on shooting groups of dudes. Sure, that's expected in an FPS, but it all seems pretty one-dimensional to me.

Psoelberg

That is really disappointing. Especially as old Russia isn't that interesting - beautiful, yes - but everything looks alike. I was hoping for a lot more.

They said the alpha was only 10% of the final game. But this probably means that we will just see more missions in the same area.

Skelter

Banned
This is kind of insane in a post-No Man's Sky world. I know that game isn't out yet, but still.

Everything is procedurally generated. Calm down and actually wait for the game at least.

On topic though...this suddenly makes the game feel smaller to me especially when I'm used to well WoW, GW2 and Planetside 2. I didn't expect much out of a console MMO but still.

randomwab

It's an MMO even if it's MMO fps. Anyone want to bet how many areas they're adding via expansion DLC? Borderlands 2 managed to add great stuff like sand sea area, so I'm not about to get rage mode on yet.

But this doesn't even sound like it'll be comparable to pre-DLC Borderlands 2 in size or content. I think that's the issue here, are we going to have to count on getting DLC for a more substantial game here, which then raises the question of how much DLC is coming, it's size and it's price point as well as it's frequency.

Sojgat

f9Eu1.gif

Xando

Definitely no day 1 anymore, ill wait for GAF reviews.
With the low lvl cap and only 5 planets it seems like there isnt as much content as they initially talked about.

Taij

This is disappointing and I don't know if I will get the game right away, but we haven't even been able to see all of the old Russia zone yet. I was exploring and have found a couple areas that are populated with level 20 guys so you can't get far into it to explore. So hopefully there is some more content in these zones than what we are seeing at level 8. With that said the lvl 20 guys are the same enemies just higher level, so it's probably not going to really satisfy people.

Expected.
I bet a lot of people complaining about content are the same people who put 20+ hours in the beta.
Sounds like this will be worth he 60 bucks.

I'm just wondering if it's worth the $150 for the Ghost Edition I preordered. I wonder how big the expansions are going to be, if the full game is only going to have those four or five main areas...

YeSp

Neo Member
Tonnes of paid DLC confirmed.

Yeah Im getting a feeling that we will be getting the bare minimum in the main game. The rest will be DLC, which you pretty much need to buy, to be able to progress.

I sure hope Bungie proves me wrong though.

I expected this. The areas aren't that big, but there are a lot of interesting areas to explore on Earth and on the Moon as it is already, can't wait to check out Mars and Venus.

Carcetti

I keep seeing people say this, How on earth is Destiny an MMO?

It's a multiplayer game with hubs where you meet people and grind mobs with them. Based on beta it's pretty much Guild Wars the Shooter which I think is a fun thing. Or maybe call it Defiance with higher production values.

It's actually surprising to see many of you all surprised at this.

The writing was in the wall, it was obvious imo that the game was only going to have smaller than expected content once we saw the size of Old Russia.

ReNeGaDe124

Guys, in the video the question is if there is only one Explore mission / planet. So maybe there are some Story missions that take us to other smaller locations different from Old Russia.

GutZ31

So if there are only four different planets, that means we've covered 25% of the story mode in the Beta. That is extremely disappointing if true. That might explain the low (20) level cap...

The earth has 2 locations sealed off, so more like 20%...?

Still, its rather disappointing that we won't see other places, seeing as planets are not exactly city sized.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
True or not, my brother and I had such a blast in Beta that I'm happy. I could put weeks more into Old Russia if they'd let me. I really loved the game and I love to grind so it's all gravy, baby.

I'm definitely more excited for this game than I was before the Alpha. Already paid for, and I'm looking way forward to it. September 9 seems so far, but thankfully I'll finally get to play Last of Us!

MrDenny

I was afraid of this.
Old Russia is beautiful, but it's pretty barren.
I also hope there is more enemy variations instead of just color palette swaps.

That sounds a lot more realistic, I guess. The initial scope didn't seem feasible given how these projects usually turn out.

This is disappointing and I don't know if I will get the game right away, but we haven't even been able to see all of the old Russia zone yet. I was exploring and have found a couple areas that are populated with level 20 guys so you can't get far into it to explore. So hopefully there is some more content in these zones than what we are seeing at level 8. With that said the lvl 20 guys are the same enemies just higher level, so it's probably not going to really satisfy people.

Trying speeding through on your Sparrow. That zone goes nowhere. You can also run through the subway sections with ?? level enemies and see how short they are (usually just "shortcuts" from one place to another). We've already seen pretty much everything on Earth, so just three more exploration zones to go.

However - we know Activision have big plans for DLC. Not just the two expansions already announced, but also smaller packs between them. Highly likely we'll see new zones added to the planets in those DLC packs, especially since we know lots of work has been put into places like Chicago.

AHA-Lambda

Why am I getting the feeling of Titanfall part 2 when I shouldn't be?

I've been having the same feeling, it seems like the general public is more enamored with Destiny than Titanfall from the beta, but I'm seeing classic overhyping evident from many places.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Eh, there goes exploration... Old Russia was already quite boring.

Until they add more areas through DLC.

Why am I getting the feeling of Titanfall part 2 when I shouldn't be?

Because this game will, and has been compared to MMOs and RPGs in terms of the scope of content and scale of the exploration space.

It won't matter if Destiny delivers a strong 50-80 hours experience because it didn't deliver 200+ hours like other big games.

GRaider81

I really dont want to as I love what I have played so far but I think im going to cancel my preorder until we see exactly what the content is.

I expected the universe to be expanded with DLC but that would be on top of an already vast game.

Will wait and see now.

jem0208

How the hell are they going to do the story?

Unless you lose access to old missions at some point and they are replaced by new ones.

Cloudy

Banned
With this kind of scale, I'm wondering what the point of making this an MMO was? Why not just co-op and PVP?

KooopaKid

Banned
It's Activision. The full game is going to be sold pieces by pieces. In the end, you'll probably have to pay 100$ for the full experience. There's no subscription fees after all.

Kyoufu

I want to know how many Strike missions there will be in the game on day one. You can have a small number of areas but fill them with enough content.

If it's just one per planet then that'd be a real concern.

With this kind of scale, I'm wondering what the point of making this an MMO was? Why not just co-op and PVP?

But this isn't an MMO. It's just co-op and PVP. :p

Principate

Saint Titanfall

To sell you lots and lots of content why else. Activision wants another WoW unless your buying lots of dlc they're not getting that. I knew that was how this game was going to go but I expected a lot of content in the intial game anyway so that people would care enough.

Top Bottom