• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Only one area per planet

jett

D-Member
There's a third faction in Destiny whom you don't shoot without asking questions.

I see now, there will be other "mission givers" and stores there. Interesting.

I think people are making a bigger deal about this than it really is. I've spent like 30 hours on the beta pretty much redoing the same Old Russia missions. It's still going to be a really lengthy game. What do people want out of this game? 100+ hours comprised entirely of unique story missions?

DJ88

Well that kind of sucks. :(

The one thing people aren't taking into account is that the Old Russia that's in the beta has many areas that are gated, either by high level enemies, or just by locked off doors. Hopefully the version that's in the full game is much much larger.

Rising_Hei

Only one area per planet means that we'll be able to play everything (w/o farming) in a short amount of time...

That's pretty dissapointing, IMO. I guess that they probably doing this to "focus" on expansions and DLC ;)

They had many years to pull out lots of content and this just won't do :/

I am dissapointed that we have to run through all of russia again once our stats are wiped, would not have mind if i thought there was more earth locations to explore.

That said ive put about 10 hrs into the beta which is more then some other full retail games ive purchased so i will definetely get my money worth.

Imagine if they patched planets/places/weapons e.t.c for free that would be amazing but they have invested too much into it to not sell that stuff as dlc.

I want those cool hologram helmets e.t.c shown in that initial reveal, so im looking forward to higher level items e.t.c

So not a huge deal breaker for me, i just hope the story lives up to its premise

EVIL

well.. seeing as old russia had me entertained for weeks, and there are still areas that are behind closed doors, some of which people managed to glitch their way in, I think the 5 main areas will be pretty explorable. Even in the hours I was exploring the moon the where so many caves and hidden nooks and closed doors that I think there will be allot more then meets the eye.

jem0208

I want to know how many Strike missions there will be in the game on day one. You can have a small number of areas but fill them with enough content.

If it's just one per planet then that'd be a real concern.
IIRC it was confirmed that there is one strike per planet.

I can't remember where I read this though so I could be wrong...

I'm just wondering if it's worth the $150 for the Ghost Edition I preordered. I wonder how big the expansions are going to be, if the full game is only going to have those four or five main areas...

Why the heck would you shell out an extra $60 for a toy? If you're interested in the expansion either get the digital deluxe, the limited edition for $100 or straight up go for the base edition and cop the two expansions when they come out if they're to you're liking for $100 as well.

No reason to spend $150

Dominator

Well shit, this is very disappointing. I'm going to get it still but I'm hoping the other planets/moon have a ton of content.

wow.. thats a bummer. i fully expect them to flesh the experience out with DLC as we move along, but my interest in a day 1 purchase has dropped.

cilonen

Having been through the Alpha and now the Beta, have to say I'm concerned about how much content we're actually going to get in the final release. There has to be more to Old Russia than we've seen though as there are some lvl 20 enemies and areas kicking around in places the Beta story hasn't taken us anywhere near yet.

SJRB

Gold Member
I just hope to christ the mission locations are varied, and not a "do 7 missions on Earth, move on to the Moon and do 7 missions, move to Mars and do 7 missions".

I want to travel around constantly. That would make the one location per planet also way more tolerable.

Cloudy

Banned
To sell you lots and lots of content why else. Activision wants another WoW unless your buying lots of dlc they're not getting that. I knew that was how this game was going to go but I expected a lot of content in the intial game anyway so that people would care enough.

Yeah, you're definitely on to something here

But this isn't an MMO. It's just co-op and PVP. :p

touché

No Man Sky makes it look like an ocean, if you watch the gameplay for that game is apparent the game has little to no interactivity with the world and ai. The world's have no advanced geometry or landmarks

I see, and you've based this on the extensive playtime and in depth gameplay videos of No Mans Sky you've watched?

Honestly this stuff is embarrassing. We know so little about No Mans Sky that comparisons are absurd at this point.

You just come across as being insecure about Destiny.

Damn, that's extremely disappointing.

I'm still down for a day one purchase as I love how it plays, but wow....I expected so much more after all the talk about being able to explore the galaxy and the planets you're on.

Oh please, no man's sky looks to have absolutely no depth in gameplay or world. As shallow as a puddle

And Destiny isn't. It's just a bunch of enemies standing around waiting for you to come across them. The hand crafted terrain will look a better in Destiny, but when it come to PvE gameplay and content I've seen very little Destiny does that No Man's Sky could not.

I'm going to call it now. The XB1/PS4 generation was to be defined by seamless drop in/drop out co-op. Instead I say it will be defined by procedurally generated content.

jem0208

I think people are making a bigger deal about this than it really is. I've spent like 30 hours on the beta pretty much redoing the same Old Russia missions. It's still going to be a really lengthy game. What do people want out of this game? 100+ hours comprised entirely of unique story missions?
The issue is I've spent about 3 hours in old Russia and I'm bored of it. I've done the story missions and the strike and I've explored for a while. However repeating the same thing over and over gets very boring very fast for most people. There's also a problem with how explore is set up. All the enemies have static spawns so you always have the same encounters in the same places. It'd be great if they could mix it up or add roaming enemies etc. Making explore more dynamic would make it much more attractive. Right now the only thing explore has going for it is seeing the pretty places.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
The one thing people aren't taking into account is that the Old Russia that's in the beta has many areas that are gated, either by high level enemies, or just by locked off doors. Hopefully the version that's in the full game is much much larger.

I'm not necessarily disappointed about the area's total size, but about the lack of diversity. Old Russia just looks boring after a while.

jett

D-Member
And Destiny isn't. It's just a bunch of enemies standing around waiting for you to come across them. The hand crafted terrain will look a better in Destiny, but when it come to PvE gameplay and content I've seen very little Destiny does that No Man's Sky could not.

I'm going to call it now. The XB1/PS4 generation was to be defined by seamless drop in/drop out co-op. Instead I say it will be defined by procedurally generated content.

We've seen literally nothing of NML's gameplay loop. What are you talking about?

The issue is I've spent about 3 hours in old Russia and I'm bored of it. I've done the story missions and the strike and I've explored for a while. However repeating the same thing over and over gets very boring very fast for most people. That's alsogja problem with how explore is set up. All the enemies have static spawns so you always have the same encounters in the same places. It'd be great if they could mix it up or add roaming enemies etc. Making explore more dynamic would make it much more attractive. Right now the only thing explore has going for it is seeing the pretty places.

You're describing the public events there.

SparkTR

This kind of reminds how I felt about Mass Effect back in 2007, they promised the galaxy in previews but in the end I got hubs, empty worlds and linear levels. Even then what I got in Mass Effect was infinitely more appealing to me than this Beta was.

murgo

The issue is I've spent about 3 hours in old Russia and I'm bored of it. I've done the story missions and the strike and I've explored for a while. However repeating the same thing over and over gets very boring very fast for most people.

Yes. I loved the Alpha and Beta, but I'm really sick of Old Russia. I don't wanna go to Skywatch again, I don't wanna kill the friggin moon wizard again and again and again. I want explorable derelict cities, get ambushed while walking through alleys.. shit like that.

Squire

Banned
It's Activision. The full game is going to be sold pieces by pieces. In the end, you'll probably have to pay 100$ for the full experience. There's no subscription fees after all.

I don't necessarily agree with your specific statement, but to speak to the sentiment, I can honestly say my first thought when they announced the expansion passes was:

"Well, there's no sub, but damn if they're not gonna get that money from you one way or another!"

New areas/locations on a planet might become available at a later date as free (we can only hope) DLC?

Free? This is Activision we're talking about...

Bobby-Kotick.jpg

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I assume the idea is that the game will continue to evolve after release.

New areas/locations on a planet might become available at a later date as free (we can only hope) DLC?
Bahahaha free. Activision games are known for a lot of things especially mmo type things but free is not one of them. This game has most probably been engineered to squeeze money out of you through dlc.

No, but I want to explore more than just one area per planet.

Kyoufu

Remember when some people said the PS exclusive content is meaningless? I'll take that extra Strike thank you very much.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
This kind of reminds how I felt about Mass Effect back in 2007, they promised the galaxy in previews but in the end I got hubs, empty worlds and linear levels. Even then what I got in Mass Effect was infinitely more appealing to me than this Beta was.

You had a crazy expectation bro, there was like no way that was happening.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
It has been pretty clear that there was only going to be 1 area per planet in the Alpha and Beta, and if you thought that there would be more, you've been fooling yourself. Yes, there has been concept art of more, but nothing was ever 100% confirmed in the game and we never saw any game footage beyond Venus, Mars, Moon, Earth, Tower, Reef and Mercury ( which is still in the game as an arena for the 'Crucible elite' with exclusive rewards ).

Also, you gotta love how some people make assumptions on how the final game will play based on a level-capped Beta with areas we can't properly explore because they are guarded by Lv.?? enemies ( Grottos ), at least three fully blocked off areas ( Seraphim Vault, Jovian Complex, King's Vault ), limited gear ( only Common and Uncommon ) and not much use yet for some of the stuff you get due to the level cap ( Materials / Crucible / Vanguard Marks ).

There are legitimate criticisms and concerns, yes, but this jumping to conclusions and making assumptions needs to stop. People are talking like the relative lack of things to do in the Beta ( *cough* Level cap *cough* ) somehow will be this massive problem in the full game, but they forget that in the full game, you don't stop at level 8. The stuff we had available to us after hitting the cap in the Beta is not representative of the final game, because in the final game, the endgame doesn't start at level 8, it starts at level 20. The lack of stuff to do when you're capped at 8 in a Beta doesn't say anything about the actual lv.20 endgame in the final game.

But no, 'the gameplay is so shallow' and there is 'no incentive to explore' and 'there's so little content' and 'there's nothing to do', etc.

Whatever...

Eoin

They shouldn't have showed off other areas concept art if they had no intention of including them in the base game. Was stupid to raise expectations.

Free? This is Activision we're talking about...

Bobby-Kotick.jpg

Bashaha free. Activision games are known for a lot of things especially mmo type things but free is not one of them. This game has most probably been engineered to squeeze money out of you through dlc.

Its Activision, i doubt there will be anything for free.

The words "Activision" and "free" together in the same sentence!? Haha NO!

Yeah, that was naive of me. Free DLC is probably never going to happen with Acti publishing and funding the game.

Let's hope it's at least not overpriced for whatever it does eventually offer. I think £3-5 for a brand new location with a number of missions and some new loot is pretty fair.

jem0208

You're describing the public events there.
They add some variety but I don't think it's enough to keep the game interesting for an extended period of time. It also doesn't stop Bungie from making normal exploring more interesting. The static spawns are imo a massive issue.

The most time I spent in this game has been in the Crucible. I done the story missions without paying attention to the cut scenes because I just wanted to get a feel for the gameplay and how it progressed and I liked that. I replayed a mission once or twice with new friends but didn't bother too many times as I was under the assumption that a) this was nothing compared to full game and b) there would be a tonne of places to go.

The level cap got me at first, how is 20 a good cap for what is essentially an MMO? Reached level 8 on the first day with minimal effort so 20 cannot be too hard to reach. I am concerned about the content in this game, every aspect of it. Without it's online segment it is Borderlands, and those games have way more content then what appears to be on offer here.

I guess what I first thought would be the case with this game, will be the case indeed. Lots of smaller purchases will come out down the line. You will just end up sneakily paying an MMO monthly fee but by paying for DLC instead. That is the half million dollar investment, the ten year plan.

Top Bottom