• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Only one area per planet

lol so much hyperbole in this thread.

How do you know there won't be still hours and hours of content despite only one area in each planet? Hell, we don't even have access to all of Old Russia and people are saying/threatening they will cancel their pre-order? Give me a break lol

Eoin

LOL! I still think Raids will be challenging. And I think you need to play all Strikes before you say it's all holding the scan button. You're bullshitting as far as you're going.
That shouldn't take too long, if there are only 6 and all about 20 mins, thats only 2 hours.

what happened to all those other cities mention in ViDocs, Concept art and Developer conferences

man guessing everything is separated via expansion packs

How do you know there won't be still hours and hours of content despite only one area in each planet? Hell, we don't even have access to all of Old Russia and people are saying/threatening they will cancel their pre-order? Give me a break lol

People are making assumptions off the fact that the missions in the beta are about 10 minutes long. Which is a fair assumption.

RK9039

Karl Hawk

Banned
That shouldn't take too long, if there are only 6 and all about 20 mins, thats only 2 hours.

Didn't the leaked site show random higher-level Strikes available at specific times? I'm still waiting for a final judgement about strikes.

And 20 mins is just an estimate from my end. A fireteam can take a long time finishing a Strike if they don't know what they're doing.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Why people have to post that they cancel their pre-order ?

Anyone care about that ?

How else would the world know of their Superiority
I mean they already got the Beta code for free and now the cancellation can go through and they can feel at peace knowing the screwed a dev or publisher out of their whopping $0 money they threw there way

Lucent

Borderlands 1 & 2 were fun games, the main story made no fucking sense at all, the side quest were the same shit you have experienced before in countless rpgs, now you can do them with literally RPG's by blowing the objective sky high

Destiny's alpha and beta gave me the impression that it does this, too. I've experienced what we've done in the Destiny alpha/beta before. They've done this crap in Halo already.

And I don't play for trophies/achievements, so there aren't those to entice me either. I just play games that I think are fun and interesting.

Trickster

Why people have to post that they cancel their pre-order ?

Anyone care about that ?

I care as much about someone canceling their pre-order, as I do about people posting pictures and gifs of their character sitting or dancing in the tower. But hey if that's what they want to post and it's relevant within the context of the thread, go right ahead.

Give me 22 great missions instead of 222 shitty ones.

What did you think of the beta story missions?

SegaShack

I feel that at least Titanfall was a really well done multiplayer game. Destiny still has quite a bit of things that need to be changed and lacks in content.

People are making assumptions off the fact that the missions in the beta are about 10 minutes long. Which is a fair assumption.

I don't think that's a fair assumption considering Old Russia is technically the beginning of the game, and I would think the missions in beginning of the game, especially the beta, would be the shortest missions you do.

People are absolutely jumping the gun here.

EDIT: And 10 minutes long is exaggerating a bit bro. They're 10 minutes long if you're redoing them, longer for the first time.

In the grand scheme of things, this one stupid thread on a message board isn't going to determine if Destiny is a success or not.

At all.

Like not even close. GAF probably makes up less than one percent of all sales on games.

This is pretty much what Microsoft was saying last spring about the negative comments concerning the XB1. How'd that work out for them?

Right now Destiny is to Bungie what Dragon Age 2 was to BioWare with its limited areas and respawning enemies. Funny thing is that BioWare learned their lesson. Dragon Age Inquisition which will be competing with Destiny look to absolutely dwarf it in the amount of content.

Destiny's game play seems based around grinding content. Even if the total time played turns out to be significant, it doesn't seem like a lot of fun.

Cynn

I'm kinda surprised how many posters thought Destiny was Skyrim or Halo 5. It's always been clear to me at least that this is a shared experience / co-op game with a pvp arenas. I've never seen them promise spralling cities or some huge single player adventure.

Maybe I missed something?

nelchaar

Horribly disappointing if true. I'll wait on Bungie to say something about this. I may cancel my preorder and wait for the reviews detailing the content. If that's the only content in the game, as much as I enjoyed it, I certainly do not value it at a $60 purchase. Would wait until it drops to $30-$40.

aravuus

I'm not gonna say I cancelled my pre-order cause I never actually pre-ordered it. This just confirms that I won't, either.

I'm still excited, but I'll wait for the reviews first.

johntown

Banned
I don't get all the outrage? 4 planets and about 5 hours a planet is a 20 hour game. That is pretty standard now a days. Plus you will have the free roam on all the planets and a robust multiplayer.

Did Bungie ever promise a really long campaign?

People who play nothing but FPS games should not complain at all. Considering COD and other shooters have like 4 hour campaigns.

I liked the mission where you first meet the Hive, but other than that the missions were forgettable. If the beta is representative of the way missions are going to be in the final product I'm not too optimistic.

Well it seems to have enough content for me. If others don't then fine enjoy something else. Some think the COD 6 hour campaign and multi is worth full value, others don't. As long as there's enough people online for me to enjoy the strikes and raids I'm happy. And I doubt I'll have problems there.

And you can always wait for price drops to get it closer to your perceived value if you want.

Can't wait for the full game.

I don't get all the outrage? 4 planets and about 5 hours a planet is a 20 hour game. That is pretty standard now a days. Plus you will have the free roam on all the planets.

Did Bungie ever promise a really long campaign?

People who play nothing but FPS games should not complain at all. Considering COD and other shooters have like 4 hour campaigns.

This isn't about hours and length.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I could throw a fit, but I'm not.

1873391_o.gif

Swarming101

We're going by our actual hands-on experience of the game. Some of us have put dozens of hours into the alpha and beta of this game. Nothing that we have actually played shows any indication that what you suggest is the case.

When you say that there might be hours and hours of content even if there's only one area per planet, sure, there might be. But we've already played at least five story missions, a strike, plus an extra story mission on the moon, and they don't suggest that this is the case at all: they suggest that story missions will be very short, very boring, and very repetitive.

I think players making purchasing decisions based on their actual hands-on experience of the public beta of a game is actually one of the most reasonable/I] ways to base a pre-order decision on. I'm not just relying on hype and trailers when I make a purchasing decision, I'm basing it on what I've actually personally experienced of the game. If reviews come out that completely allay my fears and concerns about this game then maybe I will order again, and I think many others are just like me in that respect, but there's no way I can pre-order this game based on what I played of it.

I'm still waiting for them to give us one great mission, let alone 22.

Trickster

I don't think that's a fair assumption considering Old Russia is technically the beginning of the game, and I would think the missions in beginning of the game, especially the beta, would be the shortest missions you do.

People are absolutely jumping the gun here.

You don't have a basis for saying that though. Whereas people making assumptions based on their experience with the beta do.

I wasn't a huge fan, either, but I was under the impression that the Beta quests weren't representative of the final product. As in they were abridged or something.

They seem ridiculously short, so I figure there was more to the full game.

Nah, those are the same missions you will play come release, count on it. I expect the later missions for each zone to be bigger and more interesting though,

Rolodzeo

I honestly think that the Moon mission was great and the boss on Earth too. Other than that... pretty meh. I mean, go there, kill those guys, wait until the Lannister scans something... going home in 3,2,1... repeat. :/

viveks86

The array was the longest mission for sure but the rest (including the Moon mission) were pretty short.

The moon mission took longer than 10 minutes unless all you did was rush from one point to another. All the other missions before last array were literally the first 4 missions in the game. Extrapolating from there isn't wise. Not to mention that these were hand picked for the beta and we have no idea if the mission structure and narration would be the same in the final game. It's anything but a "fair" assumption.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I wasn't a huge fan, either, but I was under the impression that the Beta quests weren't representative of the final product. As in they were abridged or something.

I hope so. Especially the story-telling wasn't very developed.

Lucent

Also does anger me a little that when you look back at what Bungie advertised the game as. For example the claim they made during their E3 demo that "This is all real. This is not a skybox. This is all actual geometry: I can actually go and take a stroll down that road... I won't now, in the interests of time."

LOL! I was gonna quote that and say "But I won't...'cuz it's not real..." I would've shouted "NO! At least walk down it a bit! Show that it's not complete BS!"

Eoin

Didn't the leaked site show random higher-level Strikes available at specific times? I'm still waiting for a final judgement about strikes.

And 20 mins is just an estimate from my end. A fireteam can take a long time finishing a Strike if they don't know what they're doing.
I was under the impression that the higher level strikes are the same, but with higher level enemies, like with the difficulty select. If they are different encounters, but in the same area, then that's not so bad. I was just expecting a lot more of them, as that seems to be where the meat of the game will be.

The moon mission took longer than 10 minutes unless all you did was rush from one point to another. All the other missions before lat array were literally the first 4 missions in the game. Extrapolating from there isn't wise. It's anything but a "fair" assumption.

I didn't rush. I played the mission once the way I felt like playing, which was how the game kind of directed me to play. I went to the first area, biked to the second and third areas and completed it there. Its a fair assumption for me.

Top Bottom