• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Only one area per planet

murgo

kfbjBpot.jpg

Fixed that for you.

Damn :D Took a while, but then I lol'd.

unbias

How can you you criticize the length of something you haven't seen?

Huh? Game length and amount of content are not the same thing. I mean, some people were hoping for Guild Wars amount of content at launch(or even diablo). You willing to say we are getting that?

johntown

Banned
Oh no, I saw him. Just assumed he wasn't new since someone supposedly found some in Old Russia. It only took 3-4 shots in the head with my sniper to put him down though.
Ah fair enough.

I am sure we will see a few new enemies but I would not think a whole lot. I think mostly higher level of the same enemy.

I hope the other planets do have some different enemy types with different attacks though.

Gothos

lol So people are aware of Bungie's marketing this time around (promising the world, delivering much less despite deep wallets and years of development time by some of the most experienced people in the industry*) and seeing all the frequently changing opinions on Destiny is hilarious.

*Don't mean to sound harsh with this, but isn't that the case? Destiny has less features than a game Bungie created in 2007, less content, gameplay that isn't as fun (IMO), etc. all by a huge team full of very talented people backed by a publisher with all the money in the world, after spending what.. close to 6+ years developing it (ODST was released in 2009 and Destiny was already being talked about)? Was this their vision/focus or did something go wrong during development? Destiny just feels like a significant step back (as a package) compared to previous titles.

Well, imho you can bet that they have much more content done or nearly done but Activision being Activision they probably pulled some of that stuff to sell it as DLC/expansion :) I wonder when will the first DLC appear - my guess is there will be 1st DLC around Christmas time.

Norns

Huh? Game length and amount of content are not the same thing. I mean, some people were hoping for Guild Wars amount of content at launch(or even diablo). You willing to say we are getting that?
No? I'm not willing to say we're getting anything yet because I don't have a fucking time machine.

One other thing I want to throw out there:

The classes here are super disapointing. PSO had a much better experience because you had to work together. You needed a healer, you needed a tank, you needed a couple of guys who could wreck shop and kill the fuck out of everything.

Certain weapons for certain classes.

I honestly feel that both PSO and Borderlands did a better job here. Especially PSO.

With Destiny I feel like everyone is run shooty and you pick a gun for your playstyle and then ever 3 minutes you get a different special power.

Not super conducive to creating a social experience.

Ultra Dark Falz required one really fucking awesome healer running around reviving the fuck out of people, healing everyone between passes and someone to not die during one shot kills to bring the team back from the brink.

Not really getting that vibe here at all. Maybe that is late game stuff, but I felt like I was lobbing shots at pretty easy to avoid bullet sponges until they dropped.
Yup, don't see much class interaction like Borderlands or even Mass Effect co-op.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
So your telling me you did everything on Earth in 80 minutes? Lol

Maybe speed runners do 80 minutes a planet. Or just ignore everything and go straight to the objective.

Okay 5 hours for people who enjoy the campaign and want to get the most. 3 hours for some and I guess 80 for speed runners.

I was doing the strike mission in a hair under 20 minutes with two of my fellow gaf-framers.

I just hated how each story level starts you out at the same fucking spot, at the beginning or entrance to the world. There is no cohesion between one story mission and the next. Why am I retreading through this whole level 5 times just to go to the same spots? I cringe to think how long the story would really be if you actually started a level where the previous one ended.
That sounds awful

Trickster

maybe we dont know what the Darkness is all we seen is this.

468px-Glimmer.jpg

might be the Darkness, might be something else or might not be in the game at all.

I hope The Darkness ( god the name is just so ugh...) is something really interesting and "oh shit what" type of thing like the flood was in Halo, and not something as dumb and cliché as the name would have me believe.

Madness

Then how the hell can you uplay(?) Destiny without even seeing or plaing any of the endgame or just the non-beginning content?

You can't use that reverse logic on people. For some reason, only negative discussion needs to be stifled. Let's create millions of positive threads with the same speculation based on what we see and hear. But anything negative? HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT, YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED THROUGH THE GAME TO THE END YET.

slash3584

lol people in the thread like to counter argue that they put in a lot of hours into the game. Very weak.

Look up my Xbox gamertag, I put many hours into the Beta since the 22nd.

A lot of people here are making assumptions based on the beginning of the game, Old Russia, which has areas (and thus missions) not included in the Beta. Beginning of any mmo, or any game period, usually has the shortest/easiest missions.

How can you logically downplay Destiny without even seeing or playing any of the endgame, or just non-beginning content?

The same can be said the other way around.

Assume the worst VS assume the best, It's just a beta whe don't know how anything else in the game is going to be.

What I find sad is that if the people who cancelled their preorders can just get the game if it turns out to have more content or whatever, but the people who keep defending the game are going to be reallllyyyyy dissapointed if this turns out to be true. Well most of them I guess.

I do. But there are only two other planets? Doesn't sound like they're gonna have a dramatic variation on the enemies. I think the areas to explore is what bothers me most. Really don't think a handful of opened fog doors is gonna make Old Russia much bigger.

You're saying you believe Old Russia is the only city on earth that players will be able to see? I'm not referring to at launch, but over the life of this copy of Destiny that will be supported through free and pay dlc?

Then how the hell can you uplay(?) Destiny without even seeing or plaing any of the endgame or just the non-beginning content?

lol, I'm not praising Destiny, I'm not going to be horribly negative against it just because of the one area to a planet news.

Seems like silly negativity to me. We havent played missions outside of Old Russia.

moonbox

Banned
Well, imho you can bet that they have much more content done or nearly done but Activision being Activision they probably pulled some of that stuff to sell it as DLC/expansion :) I wonder when will the first DLC appear - my guess is there will be 1st DLC around Christmas time.

Aye to that. The two years following Destiny's release are gonna be a shitstorm of rage. I remember what it was like for Mass Effect and the Prothean. Gon' be cray cray. I hope you're ready Activision.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
1) It's doesn't take that long to get another super. I'd probably get around 4 a match and kill multiple people at a time with them. The armor abilities in H4 and Reach rarely allowed me to go on mass kill streak. I got a 19 kill streak that was helped due to 3 supers.

2) Spawn killing can be an issue. I know because I've spawn killed numerous people with the sniper and Interceptor on the Moon map.
1) Comparatively, yes it takes that long. It's not even comparable to how disastrous and damaging to the flow of gameplay that stuff like Armor Lock or the see through walls stuff is in Halo 4. Nowhere close. Furthermore, they do not undermine the design of the objectives inherently like Armor Lock (initially) and wallhacks do. Supers also do not compromise competing parts of the sandbox like different armor abilities do.

2) Haven't seen this in my experience, but I'll take your word for it.

Lucent

You can't use that reverse logic on people. For some reason, only negative discussion needs to be stifled. Let's create millions of positive threads with the same speculation based on what we see and hear. But anything negative? HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT, YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED THROUGH THE GAME TO THE END YET.

Yeah. There is the beta thread after all.

Bungie should really step up and make some definitive statements about the length. Something with numbers. Public confidence seems to be dropping fast.

1) It's doesn't take that long to get another super. I'd probably get around 4 a match and kill multiple people at a time with them. The armor abilities in H4 and Reach rarely allowed me to go on mass kill streak. I got a 19 kill streak that was helped due to 3 supers.

2) Spawn killing can be an issue. I know because I've spawn killed numerous people with the sniper and Interceptor on the Moon map.

Did you save a video from the PS4?

Someone should make a video of spawnkilling if it is a thing, would very much appreciate it.

I'm not talking about the enemy AI in that post, although I do have issues with the AI. What I'm talking about is not only how the enemies are placed in relation to the player but also the moment to moment buildup. An example of good enemy encounter is the last mission on Earth, although it's somewhat damaged on a design level by being in the wave formation.

Agreed. People read "encounter design" and just think AI, but it's more than that. Most of the encounters in Destiny so far have amounted to enemies rushing rooms. The Strike has been the only time you can sort of feel some interesting dynamics at play with stealth melee enemies in the extreme foreground, heavy enemies in the middle, and snipers in the background. Even then there's very little style to the encounters. There has yet to be a mission with a "moment" IMO. The array mission is the closest because you actually feel like you accomplished something and the music is great, but it's still a pretty cut and dry scenario.

SegaShack

You're saying you believe Old Russia is the only city on earth that players will be able to see? I'm not referring to at launch, but over the life of this copy of Destiny that will be supported through free and pay dlc?
"Over the life of this copy of Desiny"? It will have some DLC and two years from now we'll have Destiny 2.

Lucent

If they come out and say that they will give good updates that are free like more areas to explore and more varied missions, I'll be happy. I just don't want this to be like some base game where they make a crap ton of DLC where a lot of it could've been in the game. Just don't want to be nickle and dimed to death.

Ok. I read that reddit post about what was found in the beta file and Trials of Osiris sounds amazing! I like the idea of the three strikes you're out rule. I won't mind the lack of areas to go if Bungie put cool things like that in the game.

The same can be said the other way around.

Assume the worst VS assume the best, It's just a beta whe don't know how anything else in the game is going to be.

What I find sad is that if the people who cancelled their preorders can just get the game if it turns out to have more content or whatever, but the people who keep defending the game are going to be reallllyyyyy dissapointed if this turns out to be true. Well most of them I guess.

Fair enough, we can only speculate with what we have currently. My point is tho that we haven't played missions outside of the Old Russia, the beginning area, so I just think it's unfair to condemn Destiny because of the one area to a planet news.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Someone should make a video of spawnkilling if it is a thing, would very much appreciate it.

I wish I remembered to try and record it, since I had straight up people spawning in front of me while I gunned them down on the Mars map(which, btw, is really not good).

This isn't a game where if you speed run it, you're done. It's a loot-based game, you're supposed to grind like Diablo. Some people here still don't understand the concept of the game, it seems.
Well lets compare it to Diablo 3 and Borderlands for a second since those are two recent games with this concept.

Diablo 3 has about a 20 hour campaign that is meant to be replayed via Normal, Nightmare, Hell and Inferno. Reaper of Souls adds another 7 hours or so to the campaign but also a bunch of endgame content.

Borderlands 2 is about a 30 hour campaign meant to be replayed yet again in True Vault Hunter mode.

Both games have loot whoring and grinds, but appear on their face to provide more straight up PVE content, more replayability, or both.

Destiny will launch with one raid (as far as I've seen) an uncertain number of strike missions which are meant to be replayed, and a fully developed Bungie PVP. So all of this reads to me as this: if you're into the PVP and PVE, this game has a ton of content. If you're into Destiny for one or the other it can look slim compared to the other big games in the genre.

unbias

I dunno, normally MMO's, diablo's, and ect are pretty good at communicating amount of content in a game. Bungie has been pretty bad at this... The lack of definitive statements on content and ect is concerning to me.

I was playing on XB1, but from the C base you spawn at the beginning of the game, you just move straight forward til you get to the tiny hill. You can pop people running or waiting to get on their Sparrows at the A base spawn.

johntown

Banned

I have seen Twitch streamers doing it too. Just watch some Destiny PVP streamers and you will see it.

Considering the hard on the game has for sending you to the moon too it won't take too long. : )

SegaShack

Will wait for additional confirmation before cancelling anything, considering I have a month anyways. The game has a lot of improvements to be made anyways and I feel waiting on this game will really benefit players due to all the patches amd fixes they will have.

I waited a year on D3 and loved it.

ShinMaruku

Bungie should really step up and make some definitive statements about the length. Something with numbers. Public confidence seems to be dropping fast.

Public confidence is at an all time high. But it's mainly due to the Alpha. If Bungie is smart they won't say anything and make the game speak for itself. Because they are not capable at this point to talk for the game. Their PR has missed the mark. They need to rethink it.

Zomba13

I hope The Darkness ( god the name is just so ugh...) is something really interesting and "oh shit what" type of thing like the flood was in Halo, and not something as dumb and cliché as the name would have me believe.

I bet it'll end up with "The Darkness" Actually being the force for good in the galaxy while the "Traveller" (Or the light) is the thing that brings misery and destruction and the ghosts are it's little helpers that give out super powers and convince people that the big bad darkness is coming and has to be stopped.

sono

Gold Member
People do know that DLC is a thing and it's coming, right? There's only so much you can have per planet at launch.

What is the pricing model for this game is an implied question out of this justification. I got into the Beta by pre-ordering as did most.. They want to know what they get for their money.

Top Bottom