• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Only one area per planet

El_Chino

J7mvHEI.png
Seriously though, with the amount of people working on the game and for 5 years I was expecting this game to be MASSIVE.

Rubius

It's an MMO even if it's MMO fps. Anyone want to bet how many areas they're adding via expansion DLC? Borderlands 2 managed to add great stuff like sand sea area, so I'm not about to get rage mode on yet.

It's not an MMO though. Unless you see people jump around and kill people and you have like 1000 of person connected in the same game, it's not an MMO. I call those things COO. Games like Diablo, Guild Wars 1 or Path of Exile.

Online, but limited amount of people in maps outside of cities. More or less an Cooperative Online game. You dont have the Massively part of MMO's

There's no other loot games out there that have the excellent mechanics that Destiny has in regards to gameplay. Playing loot games for loot sake only seems absurd to me if the core gameplay isn't fun.

Diablo 3 has excellent gameplay mechanics combined with a much greater variety of builds, enemies, settings, and loot compared to Destiny. It's not really even close. It's gameplay loop is much tighter than Destiny. You can jump around to different modes and areas quickly without 5 button presses and long loading times.

Despite how it released, Diablo 3 is better in every way.

Jijidasu

I saw this comment by a random on Bungie.net

"His answer was very vague he didn't say that there was "one" explorable area per planet but he mentioned that they're calling the planets "destinations" and that they've already revealed all the "destinations" in the first version of the game which are "planets".

So far we have Earth, Moon, Mars and Venus and they've also mentioned or have info on Mercury, Jupiter and Saturn and their Moons. We don't know how many or how big each area will even be."

Hop on it detectivegaf

This was my interpretation too.

EL CUCO

Bungie better start talking soon, and non of that fancy space lingo they like to pull to fluff things up.

I want to KNOW WTF this game has for me, or I'm pulling out of the pre-order and burning my moon wizard shirt!

I saw this comment by a random on Bungie.net

"His answer was very vague he didn't say that there was "one" explorable area per planet but he mentioned that they're calling the planets "destinations" and that they've already revealed all the "destinations" in the first version of the game which are "planets".

So far we have Earth, Moon, Mars and Venus and they've also mentioned or have info on Mercury, Jupiter and Saturn and their Moons. We don't know how many or how big each area will even be."

Hop on it detectivegaf

Yes. From what I've been reading, DeeJ said something which could sound like there's one explorable area per planet, but didn't actually say that verbatim. I'm going to wait for Bungie's official response on this one. I can't image with all this outrage/temper tantrums/butthurt DeeJ's comment has caused that Bungie doesn't respond somehow.

Oni3298

I'm going to buy it regardless because I can and because I want to play something new... I played the beta, was underwhelmed, but also didn't hate it.

Pre-order not cancelled, because fuck it I do what I want.

robo

Grotos is just the high level area right? Not really locked off. The place underneath the shipyard is just the actual Seraphim Vault entrance from what I could tell watching the videos on how to enter the Vault. The cave entrance from the strike area just loops back around to the first thing you mentioned, so not really locked off, just full of high lvl enemies

maybe we should split them into locked and blocked :)

Seriously though, with the amount of people working on the game and for 5 years I was expecting this game to be MASSIVE.

I don't think it was 500 people for five years. It was probably scaled up over time. By 2013 when they announced it they were probably up to 500 people, but back in 2010-2011? I seriously doubt they had that many people work on it then.

unbias

It's not an MMO though. Unless you see people jump around and kill people and you have like 1000 of person connected in the same game, it's not an MMO. I call those things COO. Games like Diablo, Guild Wars 1 or Path of Exile.

Online, but limited amount of people in maps outside of cities. More or less an Cooperative Online game. You dont have the Massively part of MMO's

If we are comparing it to guild wars 1, that had a lot of content in it before the expansions. That said, it sounds like Destiny is going to have guild wars 2 like microtransactions, so they seem to want the best of both worlds.

Garland7G

Okay, look. Let's use that complete Venus map as a base to try and nail this thing down. If there are 5 playable locations (Earth, Moon, Mars, Venus, Reef), each of which having 7 story missions, 2 strikes, and a raid (again, JUST going off that Venus map here. This is likely to be wildly optimistic), we're looking at 35 story missions, 12 strikes, and 6 raids. Let's continue to be generous and put the times at 20 minutes for each story mission, 45 for each strike, and 90 for each raid. That totals to juuuuuust under 30 hours, at the absolute most; if the other zones are less populated than Venus, or one of them is indeed just another social area, it's going to be considerably less.

That's pretty respectable for a shooter. Unfortunately, Destiny has been billed as also being an RPG, and a 30 hour RPG just barely clears the threshold of miserable disappointment. Explore mode can pad the numbers a little, but unless the release explore maps are considerably more fleshed out (more secrets, more interesting missions, more events), Destiny is looking like it's going to feature a loooooooot of grinding at release. I think it's fair for people to be apprehensive about that, especially in light of the story they presented in the beta (still hope there's more to that at launch.)
except its about 6-8 strikes and 1 raid, i'm still getting it though. no need to lie about it to look cool on a message board ;)

Duxxy3

It is going to massive.

After you buy the expansions for Mercury, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Jupiter, Pluto and then all the moons for each planet.

Should only be a few hundred.

edit: oh, i forgot all of the old cities on earth as well

Trickster

Okay, look. Let's use that complete Venus map as a base to try and nail this thing down. If there are 5 playable locations (Earth, Moon, Mars, Venus, Reef), each of which having 7 story missions, 2 strikes, and a raid (again, JUST going off that Venus map here. This is likely to be wildly optimistic), we're looking at 35 story missions, 12 strikes, and 6 raids. Let's continue to be generous and put the times at 20 minutes for each story mission, 45 for each strike, and 90 for each raid. That totals to juuuuuust under 30 hours, at the absolute most; if the other zones are less populated than Venus, or one of them is indeed just another social area, it's going to be considerably less.

That's pretty respectable for a shooter. Unfortunately, Destiny has been billed as also being an RPG, and a 30 hour RPG just barely clears the threshold of miserable disappointment. Explore mode can pad the numbers a little, but unless the release explore maps are considerably more fleshed out (more secrets, more interesting missions, more events), Destiny is looking like it's going to feature a loooooooot of grinding at release. I think it's fair for people to be apprehensive about that, especially in light of the story they presented in the beta (still hope there's more to that at launch.)

Unfortunately your estimation is built on a false premise. There's not gonna be 12 strike or 6 raids. There's 4 strikes spread across venus, earth and the moon, we don't know how many mars has. But let's be generous and true to Bungie and say it has 3, so that's 7 total.

And like I said, there aren't 6 raids, there's a raid, 1.

maybe we should split them into locked and blocked :)

Kinda means the same thing to me :p Regardless, we know how big the zone is with the exception to the 3 locked off areas. The places guarded by high lvl enemies doesn't really seem to offer any huge new areas.

unbias

except its about 6-8 strikes and 1 raid, i'm still getting it though. no need to lie about it to look cool on a message board ;)

Are you going to get the season pass? Cause I'm pretty much at the same spot as you. I'm going to get it(mainly to play with my friends) but I'm not sold on the dlc if the content is light, starting off.

Sirim

It is going to massive.

After you buy the expansions for Mercury, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Jupiter, Pluto and then all the moons for each planet.

Should only be a few hundred.
It's always fishy when expansions are announced and up for pre-order months before a game's initial release...

Deej once said something alone the lines of how Destiny, the initial game, is going to be everything people want and a complete, satisfying package. Then said, "we have to earn the right to put a number at the end of our game", as in they have to earn the right to a sequel.

Except, you know, when it's in your contract.

Pls read the rest of my post. That was an absolute best case scenario based on the Venus map people keep posting to demonstrate how much content the game will have, and it still came up short.

Unfortunately your estimation is built on a false premise. There's not gonna be 12 strike or 6 raids. There's 4 strikes spread across venus, earth and the moon, we don't know how many mars has. But let's be generous and true to Bungie and say it has 3, so that's 7 total.

And like I said, there aren't 6 raids, there's a raid, 1.

Yeah, I know. That was the absolute best case scenario for Bungie if the Venus map that keeps getting posted is both correct and representative of the whole game. Why are people only reading part of the post? I know there's going to be less stuff than that.

gatti-man

Diablo 3 has excellent gameplay mechanics combined with a much greater variety of builds, enemies, settings, and loot compared to Destiny. It's not really even close. It's gameplay loop is much tighter than Destiny. You can jump around to different modes and areas quickly without 5 button presses and long loading times.

Despite how it released, Diablo 3 is better in every way.
Except it's not an fps, it's art and graphics in general are weak and generic, the story is childish and cartoony, the game has taken over a year to get to a decent state and I still don't have as much fun as I do playing destiny. How is that pvp in Diablo btw?

I'm in the crowd of people who thought there would be many planets and you could freely explore huge areas on those planets. Hell, I even thought you could fly your ship, instead it's just a glorified loading screen.

Playing through the beta I had little hype or expectations but while walking through Old Russia I keep thinking that the area was so good looking that it would be impossible to have whole worlds with this much attention to detail but I just ignored it thinking that the beta is just a very small slice.

Nope. My fears were correct. The beta is about 20% of the game and that brought my hype levels back down to almost zero. I tried the PVP and didn't enjoy it but was enjoying the single player and was looking forward to the much bigger planets in the final release. In a week I went from "not buying" to "day one" back to "eh, maybe on sale."

One thing is for sure. This whole game, from start to finish, has had the poorest messaging, communication and marketing I've seen in quite some time from a game. From Bungie never telling us honestly what kind of game it is (is it like Borderlands? WoW? CoD? Is it an open world? Is it an MMO? What?!) to not showing or telling about the Xbox One version and what's included with it, to now not even being honest about the amount of content.
But then again Bungie was owned by Microsoft so they have experience with fucked up messaging and PR

End Rant

I still can't get over we can fly our spaceship. Honestly what is the point. I could even understand if they made the loading for each level a little shorter or gave some kind of support bonus, but no, just a pretty picture.

Rubius

If we are comparing it to guild wars 1, that had a lot of content in it before the expansions. That said, it sounds like Destiny is going to have guild wars 2 like microtransactions, so they seem to want the best of both worlds.

What I mean is gameplay wise. You can only play with people from your parties. The maps are instanced. It's not an MMO because the map is only for you. You wont see people run around you doing quests like in Defiance for example. The only people in your maps are people you invite to come in your maps. Like Diablo 2.

Pryce

It's my fault, but from the get go I thought this would be open world. Like you could go from planet to planet and fly around.

Still will buy the game though.

There is far too much dollar/hour guesstimating going on in this thread, far too much of it based on pure arm chairing.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I think you guys seriously overract. OK, so the game will be smaller in scope than we anticipated, but it'll still be quite a big game that will last you for good 40-50 hours, imho (and that would be minimum). Is it that bad? For a SHOOTER it is not. And let's be honest, Destiny is shooter first and everything else last and if you treat it like that I'm not sure you can complain that much.

I can see why some are disappointed with it potentially being short, lacking proximity chat and other stuff people expecting more of an MMO would liked to have.

For me personally, it's all a good thing. I want to just play it with real friends like I did Borderlands, not talk to randoms (though I'm fine with proximity chat being an option as long as I can disable it). And I don't want or have time for a super long game. I dumped like 80 hours into Borderlands 2 with all the DLC and that honestly got a bit long in the tooth. So if this was just 40-50 hours, I'd be fine with it.

I'm guessing it's longer that if you grind to do all the strikes and raid at higher levels etc. And I spent like 30 hours between the Alpha and Beta just replaying shit since I find the gameplay so fun. So I'll definitely get my money's worth. Sucks that others are let down, but there are plenty for more traditional MMO type games out there.

unbias

What I mean is gameplay wise. You can only play with people from your parties. The maps are instanced. It's not an MMO because the map is only for you. You wont see people run around you doing quests like in Defiance for example. The only people in your maps are people you invite to come in your maps. Like Diablo 2.

I saw plenty of people though, not in our group playing. But yes, its not an mmo I agree, in terms of gameplay. But they are trying to sell it very similar. IMO in order to justify a season pass they need similar amount of content to Guild Wars.

It's my fault, but from the get go I thought this would be open world. Like you could go from planet to planet and fly around.

Still will buy the game though.

I never once expected this nor did I expect a beefed up Borderlands.

Like Guild Wars was my first thought. Guess I am not wrong.

Orayn

Yes you do. Certain places will become fully instanced if you're doing a strike, raid, or story mission, but otherwise each area has large sections where other players phase in and out of your game.

It's like the Souls series in a sense.

Trickster

Yeah! You should kill one of their devs, too! That will teach them to poison your expectations with their lies!

Just gonna point out that they have actually lied, like straight up in our faces kind of lied. It was even done by lars, who funnily enough actually posts here on gaf. Think we could get him to comment on it? ^_^

Jarmel

Banned
What if I told you if the team on Bungie was 1/2 the size of any major Ubisoft team and 1/4th of a GTA game team?

It's not just the raw size of the development studio(of which we don't know if that 500 number includes the usual outsourcing calculated in the inflated Ubisoft numbers) but the development time as well.

Your entire post is false and you should feel bad about it.

I suspect Bungie will be forced to issue a clarification multiple destinations per planet/zone. My takeaway from the video was that Old Russia was the main meat of the story missions. The question was worded a bit weird and that may be a source of confusion.

But I'm not holding my breathe...

Deej later went on to say that the developer has already revealed everything that we’re going to explore in the first version of Destiny.
Does this confirm Old Chicago Mumbai or deny them as they didn't have any sort of "official" reveal.

Ultimately It's all probably paid DLC

Still Day One for me.

Now my choice is either XBoner of PSFloor.

Opinions?

Just gonna point out that they have actually lied, like straight up in our faces kind of lied. It was even done by lars, who funnily enough actually posts here on gaf. Think we could get him to comment on it? ^_^

Would you say Lars, personally, stabbed you in the back, or would you say he slapped you in the face? Both?

Garland7G

Are you going to get the season pass? Cause I'm pretty much at the same spot as you. I'm going to get it(mainly to play with my friends) but I'm not sold on the dlc if the content is light, starting off.

I'm going for the digital deluxe off PSN. If every planet has the same amount of content as earth or more, I'll be fine. Sure, more would be great, but going by the amount of time I put into the alpha/beta that will suffice.

Trickster

Yeah, I know. That was the absolute best case scenario for Bungie if the Venus map that keeps getting posted is both correct and representative of the whole game. Why are people only reading part of the post? I know there's going to be less stuff than that.

I actually read most of it, but at this point my mind has been rigged so that the moment I see someone bring up how many hours the game might have contents worth off, it's gonna be a post defending the amount of content in the game. I apologize for jumping to that conclusion before completely finishing your post :)

Would you say Lars, personally, stabbed you in the back, or would you say he slapped you in the face? Both?

I would say that a developer telling a bold faced lie needs to be called out on it. Are you of a different oppinion in this regard?

Shit, man. In that case, we better get the whole Solar System of planets, and Pluto.

Put those five hundred million dollars to work.

You seems to be implying that Pluto is not part of our solar system. Correct me if I'm wrong but despite not being a planet it's still very much a part of this solar system. Hell, it's closer to the sun than Neptune sometimes.

Edit: Oh, "whole solar system of planets". reading hard

Top Bottom