• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Only one area per planet

yes it does, i love how it looks, but that video shows much more detail than the beta.

don't misunderstood me, i love the game, but i'm surprised at how much worse it looks from that off-screen demo. Even when Ghost pops out to light up the room, the shadow casting is nowhere near that good in the beta.

So it was a build that changed during a year and a half development. I'm not sure why this means it's a huge downgrade. Happens all the time, and Bungie is still on track to produce a fantastic looking game.

HowZatOZ

Banned
The first game costed around $150m. That's the actual dev time and marketing iirc
Which is hilarious considering MMOs of today cost around that much and have 10 times the content.

Not saying Destiny should, as it's an entirely different game (at least, that's what Bungie keeps saying), but content-wise there are games out there right now that are beating it with the same budget. Is that bad? Who knows. As long as what is there is fun, it may well be worth the purchase.

EL CUCO

Seriously, did no one watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIxxsw7TNd4#t=14

The full map is at 3:46 and then it zooms in to a closer view.

Also, there were some areas in the Cosmodrone that were closed off / the enemies were too high a level, so we have yet to see all of Earth even.

I think its only "Kings Landing watch". There's a glitch to get in there, unless there's way more to it, it's definitely not those mountains that they showed at the E3 demo. :/

Some people were able to run thru that cave area that was being guarded and they said it was just a room.

Stoze

People getting mad that they spent time on multiplayer? Shit, this is Bungie we're talking about
PvP is a must have

I have the same thoughts on the missions. People getting map that the campaign story is underwhelming? Shit, this is Bungie we're talking about.

I really don't think this logic makes any sense. I don't need to buy a game to form a judgment about the announced content or game as experienced in the alpha/beta.

People judge things from the available information, and if what they read/see disappoints them, it would be reasonable to expect them to not buy the game based on their impressions.

Let's not perpetuate the argument of having to beat a game fully to ever express any kind of opinion in it
This thread is specifically about the (alleged) amount of content in the final game without anyone having seen or experienced all of said content. If the final product releases and impressions from other players fall in line with this particular info, that is, disappointment at the lack of content, definitely feel free to skip it.

Too bad the PvP is the worst they have ever done. It's goddamn embarrassing.

Bungie made Reach before this. That game shipped with awful settings and virtually no good multiplayer maps.

Destiny's PvP could do with some healthy balancing for sure, but it's far from "embarrassing".

Lemnisc8

My only concern is how levelling will work with the areas we are given. I'm not concerned if I get "only" four explore locations to be honest. Let me explain my reasoning:

I'm more worried that those zones will be level capped; for example earth's highest mission difficulty at the moment is level 8 and the explore is really (really) easy. I couldn't see myself replaying any of that if I'm a level 20 and it's a walk in the park - and I share this concern with the other areas as well.

I really need each area to have a lot of content that scales to my level and offers a level of difficulty that gives me a challenge, because steamrollering everything became a tad boring. Even if there was an extra level of "legendary" difficulty, at end game level these would still be several levels below, for example:

Normal: Level 6
Hard: Level 8
Legendary: Level 10

If I'm playing the Devils Lair and I'm wiping the floor with level 20 guardians against level 10 mobs on "Legendary", it isn't going to be content I'll want to play for long. And if that fear comes into fruition then for me, all my replayability will be limited to only a handful of higher level missions toward end game that are more suited to my level.

Sure hope I'm wrong, because I had a blast. To me, this matters more than if I have 4 or 5 "planets" - because if only the last one has any replayability, it doesn't really make all that much a difference at the end.

Of course all level numbering is just conjecture, but the point still stands no matter what the max level is.

Really, while my concern sounds pretty negative, I really have enjoyed the beta immensely, and I look forward to the final release!

jaaz

Bungie's Reach Beta had 4 multiplayer maps (2 when it started), a handful of game modes, virtually no armor customization and no story missions.

It lasted for 2 weeks and was played by over 2 million people.

Multiplayer is a whole different animal, as it it never really ends in content. Leaving a beta like that for two weeks doesn't harm any. But story missions where the beta may have been showing 60-70% of a planet (Earth)? That should be a teaser, although I loved playing through the Alpha and Beta.

The underlying issue with the game here is that the game doesn't go to great lengths to try and get you to know each of these factions so you can say "oh fuck there's a Covenant dropship, time to move." Very similar scenarios, perhaps a lack of window dressing or an increased reliance on story acceptance in the latter. I don't think this changes the encounter design very much though. There are some fairly interesting scenarios, like the one part underground where you are in a hallway perpendicular to a longer hallway with a large opening wall. If you don't pick them off fast enough, they retreat into the far end of the longer hallway and open the wall where more enemies emerge. Alternatively, if you push them back, they're cornered, but the wall doesn't open as quick. 3 different combat scenarios in maybe a <1 minute fight and two hallways. That's a good encounter. That helps diversify gameplay first and foremost. Many games don't have this at all. AI is crucial to encounter design, and is pretty much just as important as the environment.. if not more.

AI is incredibly important, I've already agreed to that, but the "window dressing" is right up there. In fact, considering Destiny doesn't do very much that we haven't seen before (as opposed to something like F.E.A.R. which had big jumps in gunplay and AI making up for boring environments and moment to moment build up), window dressing is hugely important as well. Making a firefight feel important and unique even if it's pretty much a standard firefight is huge in a shooter. The fact that every mission type in the game is so instanced should necessitate that every mission have a moment. Something in the presentation and staging of combat that makes it memorable. We've played like 5 story missions and a strike so far and it's all been groups of enemies standing around for the player, enemies being dropped off, and enemies popping out of spawn holes. Then the mission goals have all been pressing buttons and waiting for things to happen. We haven't seen any real shifts in pacing or set ups, no impressive enemy entrances or animations, no impressive player moves or goals, no impressive environmental set pieces, no large scale encounters, etc. It's all been little pockets of fairly standard combat. It's polished well enough, it works, and it's fun in co-op, but it just feels like the player is coasting along so far. Nothing we've done feels like a mission I want to replay specifically to experience those scenarios again, that includes the way encounters have been built.

And I understand that we haven't seen all the content. If mid to end game content changes my opinion, I'll happily admit to that. I already said that the moon mission had much, much better atmosphere than anything else we've seen in the game so far. All I can judge is what we've been given though.

Schmitty

This thread is specifically about the (alleged) amount of content in the final game without anyone having seen or experienced all of said content. If the final product releases and impressions from other players fall in line with this particular info, that is, disappointment at the lack of content, definitely feel free to skip it.
Ok, your clarification makes sense, but I still think the (alleged) amount of content should have the right to be discussed or we wouldn't have anything to do here!

Ominym

Banned
I don't see the point in people arguing with those who are canceling their preorders or who will now no longer be buying the game. What does it matter to you?

I see the value and I'm buying Destiny. Is there the possibility I might get burned? Absolutely. But Bungie has built up enough good will with me over the years that I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. And it's fine if others don't have that favorable opinion. I don't feel the need to attempt to persuade others to buy the game, or invalidate their criticisms regardless.

Eastern Flood Zone, Earth
Eos Chasma, Mars
Maat Mons, Venus
City Perimeter, Earth

I'm hoping this is wrong and these areas will make it in as they all have PVP maps. I hope the moon is the only place to only have 1 location. 8 areas would be perfect.

Ya know,

This thread is probably why we don't get demos anymore.

The hype around building a game up is to make people want to play the game. Make people need to play this amazing game that they have seen videos of, read reviews, previews, live stage demos, etc.

I think the reality is after a weekend of playing a game a certain number of people are satiated. Or backlash begins.

it's almost impossible to bring back that early excitement for a game once it's gone. Look at any OT. The lead up to launch and just post launch is elation. About two weeks later it almost always starts to turn, even for the really really good games.

Honestly, if I were a publisher I wouldn't ever run a public beta. Extremely limited behind NDA beta is one thing.. but I don't know if I see the value in a release getting a general beta or a demo.

Unless it's a game that isn't getting much attention and you believe in the product. That's a bit different... but if you have a hype machine, maybe you shouldn't give a taste of the drug away for free.

I think Extra Credits had a good video about talking about how stupid demos are from a dev standpoint.

outcome #1: the game is bad, demo is bad, now why would people buy your game based on this impression?

outcome :2: the game is good, demo is ok, people kinda got their fill from the demo, will wait for reviews/steam sale/piratebay

outcome #3: the game sucks, but the demo is actually pretty cool somehow, so this is actually good! Rare/implausible, but good!

outcome #4: the game is great, but the demo is kinda um hmm and doesn't explain anything or really show the full potential and oh god what are these wonderful 101 controls I'm not buying this

outcome #5: the game is good, demo is awesome, well done everybody!

outcome #6: the game and the demo seem like they were made by two different dev teams, you play the Spec Ops demo and think its an thoroughly average TPS and you need get the larger narrative context it was going for

so you got 1/3 good reasons for every 2 bad ones, and #2 is basically impossible.

Think about it, how many demos have you played the convinced you to buy a game you weren't already interested in. Now compare that to the demos that convinced you NOT to buy a game day one, or you didn't care about by the end, or made you lose interest entirely, or convinced you to rent them from Redbox. Now think about the time and money and manpower that actually goes into creating a demo that will more than likely decrease sales and anticipation for your game.

rdrr gnr

My guess would be destinations. There are parts of Old Russia that can't currently be accessed due to high level enemies guarding them or locked doors.
The grottoes might become accessible, but people are also assuming that places like the Complex, Vault, and King's Watch will be available in the full game. We don't exactly have confirmation on all of that do we? They exist for a reason, sure, but that reason could just as easily be DLC.
Sure it needs some balancing/tweaking but worst thing they've ever done? Far from it.
People have issues with the three subclasses available. Just imagine the clusterfuckery when the other six subclasses are made available. No way something like that will ever be balanced.

Gaz_RB

And I understand that we haven't seen all the content. If mid to end game content changes my opinion, I'll happily admit to that. I already said that the moon mission had much, much better atmosphere than anything else we've seen in the game so far. All I can judge is what we've been given though.

This is a good point, actually. If we all waited to discuss the game until release, we wouldn't have anything to talk about, for better or for worse.

ashylarry

I don't unterstand the problem.
You can still buy this game. If it does not fulfill your expectations then why don't sell it with a loss of maybe 10$/€/£. I think the game has at least the value of the loss.

darthbob

Weird, I just exited the Cosmodrome, and got an error that the servers were undergoing maintenance, tried again and it flashed an update and then the Install screen, and now I'm back in.

BokehKing

Banned
I actually like it alot. I just dont see the difference between Control and Iron Banner.
Control is the game type
Control is the only game type available in the beta

When you play iron banner you're playing control
If your gun is 42 damage and my gun is 62 damage, and we both shot each other in the face at the same time, you would die first, because in iron banner, your stats from your gear and guns matter.

EL CUCO

Ya know,

This thread is probably why we don't get demos anymore.

The hype around building a game up is to make people want to play the game. Make people need to play this amazing game that they have seen videos of, read reviews, previews, live stage demos, etc.

I understand what you're saying, but honestly there were ALOT more skeptics before the Alpha and Beta were available. So in part I feel the Alpha and Beta did a pretty good job at selling the game, even if that wasn't the reason for it (stress test) ...the PR, however, has been rather unconvincing to most. Which is exactly why this is going on now. There really wasn't much negativity around Destiny apart from a few recycled areas for story missions and a couple balancing issues in PvP.

Altima

No one will complain about this if Bungie remove Level, skill, Item, cosmetic, strike and raid.

After that make this game a simple FPS with simple story mode and multiplayer like Halo was.

DNAbro

No one will complain about this if Bungie remove Level, skill, Item, cosmetic, strike and raid.

After that make this game a simple FPS with simple story mode and multiplayer like Halo was.

uhh i definitely would. That would just be a rehash of Halo.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

So nobody would complain about this is they made a completely different game from the start.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Complaining about size/volume of content? This is INCREDIBLY weird, to me.

If you play Destiny and don't like the shooting or whatever, then fine. But complaining about the game's SIZE?

Even the most conservative estimates peg it at being a much much bigger game than any previous Halo or Call of Duty, in terms of pure volume of content.

blackjaw

I too kept looking at the stars and hoped we would get to explore them.

The good news is that this is now he number 1 spot on my Q with gamefly and I freed up a bit of gaming money from September.

I'm not opposed to buying, but I really want to see how much content is there before committing.

Top Bottom