• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Only one area per planet

EL CUCO

Control is the game type
Control is the only game type available in the beta

When you play iron banner you're playing control
If your gun is 42 damage and my gun is 62 damage, and we both shot each other in the face at the same time, you would die first, because in iron banner, your stats from your gear and guns matter.

So are we playing Control in Iron Banner because that is the only mode we have access to play? Will it be a different mode in the full game? The leaked list shows it as a full fledged PvP mode.

I hope it is different because I'm not sure that I buy all that "stat matters" in IB stuff. For measure, I consider myself pretty good at the Crucible and went in with an entry level bare bones load out/armor on a Hunter and did the same, if not better than in standard Control.

David___

Banned
So are we playing Control in Iron Banner because that is the only mode we have access to play? Will it be a different mode in the full game? The leaked list shows it as a full fledged Pvp mode.

I hope it is different because I'm not sure that I buy all that "stat matters" in IB stuff. For measure, I consider myself pretty good at the Crucible and went in with an entry level bare bones load out/armor on a Hunter and did the same, if not better than in standard Control.

It's going to matter when you face off with people who have high amounts of armor, defense and legendary/exotic gear.

So are we playing Control in Iron Banner because that is the only mode we have access to play? Will it be a different mode in the full game? The leaked list shows it as a full fledged Pvp mode.

You should do better in there, because there's no item normalization. There's lvl6 people with quite bad gear and they're just feeding. But if you get 1v1 with someone in BiS gear, you probably get killed if you're not better skilled. I hated solo Iron Banner as it was randoms against teams, but then I teamed up with friends and we owned the place.

Eoin

I meant things they've done in games. They messed up Reach multiplayer too. But I still love playing both games.
As many problems as Reach had, unless Destiny pulls something akin to its forge mode and its custom game options out of it arse, it will still be a giant step back. Lets not forget the lack of local splitscreen as well. Even if you like the gameplay, it's a sub par offering from Bungie by their own standards.

Has Bungie talked about weapons and armor
Much yet? The opening reveal saw the guy wearing mainly legendary gear and then found an Exotic class's weapon at lv. 5. Obviously for the presentation but will that be able to occur? Like in Diablo will they have lower level Exotics and Rares and Legendary items or is it all reserved to lv. 20?

I think Extra Credits had a good video about talking about how stupid demos are from a dev standpoint.

outcome #1: the game is bad, demo is bad, now why would people buy your game based on this impression?

outcome :2: the game is good, demo is ok, people kinda got their fill from the demo, will wait for reviews/steam sale/piratebay

outcome #3: the game sucks, but the demo is actually pretty cool somehow, so this is actually good! Rare/implausible, but good!

outcome #4: the game is great, but the demo is kinda um hmm and doesn't explain anything or really show the full potential and oh god what are these wonderful 101 controls I'm not buying this

outcome #5: the game is good, demo is awesome, well done everybody!

outcome #6: the game and the demo seem like they were made by two different dev teams, you play the Spec Ops demo and think its an thoroughly average TPS and you need get the larger narrative context it was going for

so you got 1/3 good reasons for every 2 bad ones, and #2 is basically impossible.

Think about it, how many demos have you played the convinced you to buy a game you weren't already interested in. Now compare that to the demos that convinced you NOT to buy a game day one, or you didn't care about by the end, or made you lose interest entirely, or convinced you to rent them from Redbox. Now think about the time and money and manpower that actually goes into creating a demo that will more than likely decrease sales and anticipation for your game.

This analysis assumes that the quality of a demo is unknown and random, but that is simply not true. Publishers and developers can playtest demos on focus groups to determine customer's reaction. In addition I'd like to think that people in that gaming business would trust themselves to be able to tell a good game from a bad one. The fact is that the reception to a demo should be known ahead of time. Btw, developers should be doing this assessment of their games anyway to check whether their vision of their game is translating to those who play it.

Now considering that they've done their homework and know if their demo will be well received or not, they should be able to make intelligent decisions on whether to release it or not. Considering that marketing budgets can go into the millions, releasing a good demo is a relatively cheap way to spread word about your game. Although consoles might mess that equation up a bit by adding additional certification and distribution costs.

Thinking back to one of the best demos ever, if I'm DICE and sitting on a demo of Battlefield 1942, I want that demo in as many hands as possible. It's nothing but win.

Trickster

Has Bungie talked about weapons and armor
Much yet? The opening reveal saw the guy wearing mainly legendary gear and then found an Exotic class's weapon at lv. 5. Obviously for the presentation but will that be able to occur? Like in Diablo will they have lower level Exotics and Rares and Legendary items or is it all reserved to lv. 20?

Well we know you can only use one exotic weapon and armor piece at a time. So you can't run around in full exotic gear. No idea if exotic gear will be lvl 20 only or what

EL CUCO

It's going to matter when you face off with people who have high amounts of armor, defense and legendary/exotic gear.

So its kind of like Bungie's take on a "Hardcore" mode. I guess we'll see...

You should do better in there, because there's no item normalization. There's lvl6 people with quite bad gear and they're just feeding. But if you get 1v1 with someone in BiS gear, you probably get killed if you're not better skilled. I hated solo Iron Banner as it was randoms against teams, but then I teamed up with friends and we owned the place.

I was one of those lev 6's and I was taking care of business lol but David makes sense in saying when higher legendary weapons/armor are involved it'll be more challenging.

The impression I got out of it right now is that its just some other recycled asset to Destiny.

thumbs_you_were_born_to_soon_you_will_never_explore_the_galaxy.jpg

Even in a god damn video game this is still true. Now that's sad. Seems like gaming is not accelerating at the pace I thought it would.

The guy who datamined the destiny beta posted an update to what he found, this sounds better ....

http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2bw74e/please_remain_calm_destiny_has_32_story_missions/

Clash: 13
Salvage: 13
Social: 5
Rumble: 15
Explore: 5
Story: 32
Skirmish: 16
Raid: 2
Control: 17
Strike: 23
Story Challenge: 1
Iron Banner: 1
The Crucible: 4
Combined Arms: 1

Total of 148 Activities

Full comment:

I'm the developer of DestinyDB[1] and would like to clear up a few things.

This isn't Final. These are just the numbers I got directly from the database and some activities contain nothing more than a link to the activity and are completely empty, again these are rumors.

The website hides activities that do not have a proper name (no name at all or starting with ###), which includes tons of Story missions, and strikes.

Total of 148 Activities

Again, this information is from the Beta and does not represent the full game. So this data WILL change over the coming months.

Complaining about size/volume of content? This is INCREDIBLY weird, to me.

If you play Destiny and don't like the shooting or whatever, then fine. But complaining about the game's SIZE?

Even the most conservative estimates peg it at being a much much bigger game than any previous Halo or Call of Duty, in terms of pure volume of content.

Actually I think the real issue is the quality of the content. Destiny is trying to get away with the content quality of an MMORPG game but with the size of a traditional console shooter. People were ok with the quality of Destiny's content when they thought there was going to be a lot of it. If there is a mediocre mission but you only have to do it once then no problem. It is when you have to grind that mission that issues show up.

DNAbro

Full comment:

That is better. But again though we don't know if it's the full thing.

EDIT:WAIT 23 STRIKES HOLY SHIT.

EDIT2: Okay read further and it's unknown from the data if it's just multiple difficulties. But 5 explores is interesting. I assume the Reef has an explore?

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Kinda surprised by the quick backlash against this game, I don't think it's entirely fair.

Obivously there's gonna be some kind of DLC plan ahead which might rub people the wrong way but I see this game (as others have said) as more of a team-up Monster Hunter grind-ish game - not so much in gameplay, obviously, but that the value of the game comes from the better equipment and armour sets, as well as improving your runs through dungeons/raids etc.

The grinding for equipment angle may or may not be a good thing as most of the armour seems a bit subdued and nothing too outlandish or showy, but I think bashing the game because it's not a sprawling galaxy of planets is a bit unfair - it comes off as complaining about what the game ISN't instead of appreciating what it's trying to do. Whether it's successful remains to be seen , but ... it's not even out yet.

lol @ people cancelling pre-orders over this rumor. Why don't we wait for an official announcement from bungie before doing something so dramatic? Pretty ridiculous.

Lol, it's hardly ridiculous or dramatic. If their opinion changes they can just pre order it again. Doesn't cost anything most of the time. If you're ordering online it's really no different than adding something to your basket and removing it again. Besides, it's not as if the game will be hard to find on release.

Played the beta and wasn't a fan. Old Russia was a decent size but it just felt really empty. There was nothing really going on except small groups of enemies scattered about the place. Nowhere near enough loot either. The PvP was ok but the story missions were just so short that it genuinely surprised me and they were really uninspired. "Wait here and shoot enemies while your buddy does a thing" doesn't cut it in my opinion, we need more variety in the release.

Of course people will say that it's a beta and give it a free pass but that's not for me. And I wish they would just call a spade a spade and announce it as a demo, because that's what it really was.

Pimpwerx

Not a big deal. I'm going to spend most of my time in exploration and strikes. I wish there was more available, but I managed two weeks worth of gaming with the alpha and beta. Taking 3 classes to lvl 20 will take me enough time. I'll deal. I'll pass judgement after I get to put in my time. PEACE.

Trickster

EDIT2: Okay read further and it's unknown from the data if it's just multiple difficulties. But 5 explores is interesting. I assume the Reef has an explore?

Assume nothing, expect nothing. This is the lesson that has been imparted on me in this thread by the people who told me I had been wrong for assuming more than one zone per planet/moon.

I have now imparted this wisdom on to you.

nelchaar

The guy who datamined the destiny beta posted an update to what he found, this sounds better ....

http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2bw74e/please_remain_calm_destiny_has_32_story_missions/

Total of 148 Activities

How does the scope and content of this game compare with borderlands 2?

Irnbru

Too bad for ya'all, I'm going to love me some destiny like the folks in the beta, put in 35 hours, oh my god the game is too small guys!

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Disappointing but I sorta seen it coming. Still going to buy the game but I'm not so sure I'll bother with any future DLC if the main game feels lacking.

It's not just multiple difficulties, but at the highest levels the strike will only be available for one week at a time. Each individual week's instance that it is available counts as a separate activity.

For example here are 2 separate activities for the Devil's Lair which is offered up at the levels 22, 26, and 28 first for one week in September and then another week in October.

This is my opinion, but here is why I'm concerned about Destiny:

1. It's not a true MMORPG and I WANT it to be. It's like it goes half-way there, and falls short.

2. Guns are the only weapons, outside of a single melee button and a timed/cooldown super skill. It's a FPS through and through, which means all we have a ranged weapons with varying degrees of firing rates to play with. No swords, shields, spells, etc... Just pew pew pew.

3. Lack of communication. There's no chat because of the console's controller interface standard and you only have headset support for Strike Teams (which I think I heard one person actually use a headset for - and there was no NEED to communicate anyway). In the Tower hub, people can't chat with each other either. There are very little social options and it ruins the chance for a community.

4. No space battles. Spaceships are just loading screen eye-candy. You can upgrade there appearance, but you can't do anything with them. The game makes no attempt to incoporate them into the gameplay. In fact, it's almost aggrivating how long some load times are and just having to stare at a ship with no load progress indicator.

5. No economy or trade (unless I missed something? I couldn't seem to do amything but examine people's profiles)

The biggest issue I have is that it doesn't make much of an attempt to break the FPS mold. Games like Borderlands and even Hellgate: London took bigger chances. One succeeded, one failed. But they both tried something different and I respect that.

It's not a bad or broken game. It just doesn't take any chances.

Orayn

2. Guns are the only weapons, outside of a single melee button and a timed/cooldown super skill. It's a FPS thtough and through, which means all we have a ranged weapons with varying degrees of firing rates to play with. No swords, shields, spells, etc... Just pew pew pew.

Your complaints are all reasonable, but I want to interject that the class grenades and melee specials are basically spells. The grenades all travel in an arc initially, sure, but their effects vary enough that I wouldn't hesitate in calling them "spells" when explaining the game to someone.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
uhh i definitely would. That would just be a rehash of Halo.

As opposed to Halo with some shoddy MMO elements bolted on? Hopefully the classes pan out beyond the low-level doldrums shown in the beta. Not very inspiring exploration with its simple battlefields/corridors and the skill trees, weaponry, and overall game design doesn't elicit much need for communication and team-tactics either from what is shown.

Instead of having heart attacks, have some patience and judge the final, released product. Good grief.
Well, at least the people canceling their pre-orders are guilty of doing no more than that. When the game hits there will be plenty of impressions of how much content is there and how varied that content turns out to be.

1. It's not a true MMORPG and I WANT it to be. It's like it goes half-way there, and falls short.

2. Guns are the only weapons, outside of a single melee button and a timed/cooldown super skill. It's a FPS thtough and through, which means all we have a ranged weapons with varying degrees of firing rates to play with. No swords, shields, spells, etc... Just pew pew pew.

3. Lack of communication. There's no chat because of the console's controller interface standard and you only have headset support for Strike Teams (which I think I heard one person actually use a headset for - and there was no NEED to commumicate anyway). In the Tower hub, people can't chat with each other either. There are very little social options and it ruins the chance for a community.

The biggest issue I have is that it doesn't make much of an attempt to break the FPS mold. Games like Borderlands and even Hellgate: London took bigger chances. One succeeded, one failed. But they both tried something different and I respect that.

Not to discredit any part of this, but it sounds like you want Destiny to be something it was never trying to be, and it can't fall short if it didn't aim there to begin with. They're building an action game first and foremost, and if the shooting isn't any good, none of the rest will matter. I don't want them to stuff it with players, magic and grindy elements and then have the shooting fall apart at the seams. A major reason I stay away from the cinematic shooters these days is because the shooting just isn't well designed.

I do want to see more out of the game and it's possible some of those things have been withheld, but I don't find fault in Bungie for focusing on the base gunplay. It definitely needs some weapon diversity, which I don't think I've seen in the exotic gear. I'm hoping to wield some of those Hive or Fallen swords sometime.

Did everyone forget about the "leaked" contract, which stated an aggressive release schedule of major new content every six months? From the way they've demonstrated the Beta, and the way they've talked about the game, this is the establishment of an infrastructure that will continue to constantly expand.

IIRC, the contract outlined a release schedule like this (my own speculation in parentheses):

6 months out: DLC (story missions, raid, crucible maps)

12 months out: Expansion (new locale)

18 months out: DLC

24 months out: Major Release

And then continues like this until reaching 4 major release.

This is not a "ship it!" scenario.

Battlefield business model ? Please nickel And dime me Activision.

Victrix

*beard*

3. Lack of communication. There's no chat because of the console's controller interface standard and you only have headset support for Strike Teams (which I think I heard one person actually use a headset for - and there was no NEED to commumicate anyway). In the Tower hub, people can't chat with each other either. There are very little social options and it ruins the chance for a community.

Melee weapons, space powers and guns you say? Why yes, Warframe has those things.

http://giant.gfycat.com/DisgustingGrandioseHorsemouse.gif
Pl8Yzq3.gif

leGw4Fq.gif

FLly0HC.gif

(and space puppies)
yGUYKkG.gif

But seriously, it sounds like you're looking for something different than what Destiny is. Destiny explicitly is not an mmo. It's closer to a modern day PSO than anything else I can think of.

I also have a feeling the pvp is going to be insanely addictive to people who are predisposed to like it - diablo loot fever combined with actual quality pvp in an fps? Yeahhhhh.

Kinda surprised by the quick backlash against this game, I don't think it's entirely fair.

Obivously there's gonna be some kind of DLC plan ahead which might rub people the wrong way but I see this game (as others have said) as more of a team-up Monster Hunter grind-ish game - not so much in gameplay, obviously, but that the value of the game comes from the better equipment and armour sets, as well as improving your runs through dungeons/raids etc.

The grinding for equipment angle may or may not be a good thing as most of the armour seems a bit subdued and nothing too outlandish or showy, but I think bashing the game because it's not a sprawling galaxy of planets is a bit unfair - it comes off as complaining about what the game ISN't instead of appreciating what it's trying to do. Whether it's successful remains to be seen , but ... it's not even out yet.

This is neogaf, Home of the highly opionated, ultra hardcore gamer. I would expect nothing less then mood swings from this forum. Destiny is amazing, but it also sucks balls according to neogaf.

Haines

Banned
Holy crap. This much of a thread on basically speculation?

Neogaf over reacts so damn hard. The game will have content, replay able content even. And more content coming.

Actually, I think a LOT more content coming.

EL CUCO

1 more hour of Beta for anybody here that cares.

Destiny Beta services have been restored. We are ending this experimental adventure at 6:30 PM Pacific time. You have one more hour to play.

It's not just "Gaf".

Heck, Gamespot posted an article outling 7 concerns about Destiny...

I don't agree with all of it, but after getting majorly burned by Titanfall (or Hypefall as some have joked) I think a lot of people are holding games to much higher expectations now.

As for me, I was expecting less Halo and more WoW/Guild Wars 2, but Destiny is somewhere in-between, leaning back toward Halo.

As I said, it's not a bad or broken game at all.

I just thought it was going to be a lot different than it is.

It's my own fault I guess. I have this full-on FPSMMO stuck in my head and I thought Destiny was it, but it's not.

It's not just "Gaf".

Heck, Gamespot posted an article outling 7 concerns about Destiny...

I don't agree with all of it, but after getting majorly burned by Titanfall (or Hypefall as some have joked) I think a lot of people are holding games to much higher expectations now.

As for me, I was expecting less Halo and more WoW/Guild Wars 2, but Destiny is somewhere in-between, leaning back toward Halo.

As I said, it's not a bad or broken game at all.

I just thought it was going to be a lot different than it is.

It's my own fault I guess. I have this full-on FPSMMO stuck in my head and I thought Destiny was it, but it's not.

from what I remember the press had a lot to do with how much Titanfall was hyped up. as for Destiny there was multiple gaming sites claiming to be unimpressed with what they played. It wasn't until the Alpha that people started to get genuinely hyped for the game.

Top Bottom