• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Only one area per planet

Etnos

Banned
Ya know,

This thread is probably why we don't get demos anymore.

The hype around building a game up is to make people want to play the game. Make people need to play this amazing game that they have seen videos of, read reviews, previews, live stage demos, etc.

They could also try to innovate in the gameplay department, They are doing this massive multi million dollar productions that really do nothing but incorporate carrot on a stick game design.
I bet some people will enjoy it greatly, and that is fine... Personally I'm currently having more fun with Spelunky than the one I had with the Destiny beta.

I'm dissapointing so far next gen just feels like a slighly upgrade version of last gen, no innovation, no risk, nothing exiting really.

It's not just "Gaf".

Heck, Gamespot posted an article outling 7 concerns about Destiny...

I don't agree with all of it, but after getting majorly burned by Titanfall (or Hypefall as some have joked) I think a lot of people are holding games to much higher expectations now.

As for me, I was expecting less Halo and more WoW/Guild Wars 2, but Destiny is somewhere in-between, leaning back toward Halo.

As I said, it's not a bad or broken game at all.

I just thought it was going to be a lot different than it is.

It's my own fault I guess. I have this full-on FPSMMO stuck in my head and I thought Destiny was it, but it's not.
The Gamespot article was great and talked about a big concern I had while playing strike.

The Devil Walker barely moves. It slides a few feet side to side, but that's it. For the most part, it sits in one place and shoots the Guardians that are attacking it. And it takes a very long time to make a dent in its armor. Two other players and I shot it with heavy weapons, special weapons, special abilities, and countless clips of regular ammo, and it still took about 10 minutes to kill.

If most of the strike bosses are like this...that's not fun.

Mentok

Banned
It's not just "Gaf".

Heck, Gamespot posted an article outling 7 concerns about Destiny...

I don't agree with all of it, but after getting majorly burned by Titanfall (or Hypefall as some have joked) I think a lot of people are holding games to much higher expectations now.

As for me, I was expecting less Halo and more WoW/Guild Wars 2, but Destiny is somewhere in-between, leaning back toward Halo.

As I said, it's not a bad or broken game at all.

I just thought it was going to be a lot different than it is.

It's my own fault I guess. I have this full-on FPSMMO stuck in my head and I thought Destiny was it, but it's not.

You're definitely not alone in that thought process either. The way Destiny was talked about, it seemed like it would have that MMO type experience, but that's just not the game they're building. That's not a bad thing, but I'm worried how much DLC it will have.

EDIT: That being said, I'm still really looking forward to what the final product will be as I enjoyed the Beta.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Oh, hello.

Destiny's pretty big. It's the biggest game we've ever made, by far, and we're sort of known for making games you can play for months, years, and even decades if you're a little bit...dedicated.

With Destiny, we're looking to exceed what we've done before, not just in terms of scale - the Moon is our smallest destination - but in terms of scope and breadth of activities. That's true for day one, as you expect, but it also means we want Destiny to have super long legs.

If we're fortunate enough to have you playing months after launch, you still find lots of compelling stuff to do. That will manifest itself in a myriad of ways, from straight up content to cool activities we've yet to show off.

We think we did a decent job supporting Halo, post launch, but we were only ever able to cater to the competitive set. That left a lot of players out in the cold. That made a lot of the team grumpy. We wanted to do better. So, Destiny is philosophically built support every type of player, and all modes with ongoing activities and events. We look at it quite a bit like television programming, as opposed to a singular film, as we had in the past. We think it's gonna be pretty great, but we wanted to test out a bunch of our new stuff with Beta, to make sure we could flip knobs and levers live, reacting and responding with lots (and, ho boy, did we see LOTS) of players online and playing.

Beta was water wings. Level 8 is nothing. You barely scratched the surface, and it seems like some folks had fun with what was there.

If you did, good news. More soon.

VariantX

The Gamespot article was great and talked about a big concern I had while playing strike.

The devil walker, as it was in the alpha and beta, is as easy as it gets to take down if you position players on opposite sides of it. It only focuses on one player at a time and depends far too much on the NPC's to flush players out into the open to actually attack them.

RoKKeR

I'm concerned about this as well. Bungie has said over and over how they want the aStrikes and raids to be challenging but fun, yet bullet sponge bosses that don't move around and take forever to kill... That's just not fun.

Karl Hawk

Banned

Okay, that quote is bullshit because clearly the author didn't focus on shooting the legs. Shooting the legs is essential as one of them explodes, the Walker will be incapacitated and for few seconds, reveal it's neck as a weak point to shoot at. Rinse and repeat.

The author clearly didn't know what he was doing.

Arkanius

Oh, hello.

Destiny's pretty big. It's the biggest game we've ever made, by far, and we're sort of known for making games you can play for months, years, and even decades if you're a little bit...dedicated.

With Destiny, we're looking to exceed what we've done before, not just in terms of scale - the Moon is our smallest destination - but in terms of scope and breadth of activities. That's true for day one, as you expect, but it also means we want Destiny to have super long legs.

If we're fortunate enough to have you playing months after launch, you still find lots of compelling stuff to do. That will manifest itself in a myriad of ways, from straight up content to cool activities we've yet to show off.

We think we did a decent job supporting Halo, post launch, but we were only ever able to cater to the competitive set. That left a lot of players out in the cold. That made a lot of the team grumpy. We wanted to do better. So, Destiny is philosophically built support every type of player, and all modes with ongoing activities and events. We look at it quite a bit like television programming, as opposed to a singular film, as we had in the past. We think it's gonna be pretty great, but we wanted to test out a bunch of our new stuff with Beta, to make sure we could flip knobs and levers live, reacting and responding with lots (and, ho boy, did we see LOTS) of players online and playing.

Beta was water wings. Level 8 is nothing. You barely scratched the surface, and it seems like some folks had fun with what was there.

I want to believe!

TrueGrime

Oh, hello.

Looking forward to the journey, Urk!

Oh, hello.

99818-well-there-it-is-gif-Jeff-Gold-seL5.gif

ovechkin10887

Neo Member
Oh, hello.

I can't wait till release!

Vire

Oh, hello.

I think this is urk's way of telling me I was dropped on my head one too many times as child.

David___

Banned
Oh, hello.

Since you're here talking about content...... Urk, end game, even if it's only a tease, pls

viveks86

Oh, hello.

Thanks for stopping by, Urk!

void666

Banned
Oh, hello.

Nice try pal. But we all know destiny will bomb. Bungie is doomed and Bobby Kotcky will end up commiting suicide.

Okay, that quote is bullshit because clearly the author didn't focus on shooting the legs. Shooting the legs is essential as one of them explodes, the Walker will be incapacitated and for few seconds, reveal it's neck as a weak point to shoot at. Rinse and repeat.

It still takes a long time to kill and it stays in one place while everyone fires at it for minutes, but how much shorter is it if you go for the legs?

Irnbru

All that matters to me right now is that this is The true PSO evolution I've always wanted in life. I miss pso :( , thanks for the nice update bungles

Oh, hello.

definitely had fun with Destiny and it had more content than most console betas could dream of. I think the complainers in this thread need to wait for retail before passing judgement.

looking forward to launch in September

Alucrid

Banned
Oh, hello.

I shouldn't have canceled my repreorder of my canceled preorder. So much regret right now.

i spent a year on halo 2 online but i wouldn't say that means it had a ton of content. the single player of halo games was actually o nthe short side. for people that just want the story how long is destiny going to last (6-8) like halo games?

BondFancy

Oh, hello.

Thank you so much for that Urk, I feel at ease now! I look forward to buying Destiny day one! Tell your team congratulations and I hope you have a successful launch in just over a month, I enjoyed the beta!

Owwari

Banned
Oh, hello.

tumblr_mzxlvnnRUg1tpe7lxo1_500.gif

Oh, hello.

Like a boss
UnhealthyJubilantDassierat.gif

DNAbro

Oh, hello.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j45x9ranFH0

Oh, hello.

First just let me say I've enjoyed the beta.

I will say this does sound pretty disappointing but given how much fun I had with my friends in the beta and this being the first in this series, I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt and see what the full game has to offer. I would think the main reasoning for this is due to the game being cross-generation and having to accommodate for that. Or maybe it was something else who knows, but I'm still looking forward to the game. Though I do expect Destiny 2 to be what Bungie has wanted all along since we'll be far enough into this gen and cross-gen will no longer be.

Vire

Yeah but he really didn't say much of anything.

Summary:

1. It's bigger than any Halo game in terms of breadth of content.

2. We invested resources into all assets of the game including player vs. player so don't expect Borderlands level of content because we have things they don't.

3. We will continue to support this game heavily post release through DLC.

Oh, hello.

So, paid DLC.

:\

Blueblur1

We're gonna have to wait for whatever the PR plan dictates. Hopefully they'll be forthcoming with actual details soon seeing as the launch is less than 2 months away.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Summary:

1. It's bigger than any Halo game in terms of breadth of content.

2. We invested resources into all assets of the game including player vs. player so don't expect Borderlands level of content because we have things they don't.

3. We will continue to support this game heavily post release through DLC.

Refute the statement in this thread if it's incorrect. I'm guessing it's not judging by the fact he didn't and went back to all this lovely content.

Well, even if you shoot the legs and the core when the front open up, it takes like 10 minutes to kill it.

That's flat out boring. And as a Hunter, you can just stand a mile away and hit it safely out of range of the trash monsters on a rooftop with a Scout Rifle and a Sniper Rifle. You just duck down if you get targeted by the laser or the blue missiles.

Hell, whenever I ran out of ammo, it automatically filled up again!!!! I didnt even have to run around picking up ammo. It just replenished all by itself!!!

Is that by design?

Oh, hello.

What I got from this is "we put an okay amount of content in the main game, but we'll pad it with extra activities." Some people will be fine with that, but personally I'm still upset Old Russia represents all of Earth. As others have said, there's still much of Old Russia we haven't seen, and there are going to be four locations, but I'd rather have an Old Russia the size it currently is, maybe two or three other locations on Earth, and then the rest (Moon, Venus, Mars, etc) come in expansion packs. But that's just me.

Top Bottom