• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Only one area per planet

KiraXD

Everything is procedurally generated. Calm down and actually wait for the game at least.

On topic though...this suddenly makes the game feel smaller to me especially when I'm used to well WoW, GW2 and Planetside 2. I didn't expect much out of a console MMO but still.

Procedurally generated yes... but permanantly available. If everyone here at gaf each found one planet... everyone else would be able to visit that same planet at some point... essentially making for hundreds of visit-able planets... this is why people were hoping for a bigger scope to Destiny... why couldnt it offer more planets?

Rolodzeo

Oh, hello.

Destiny's pretty big. It's the biggest game we've ever made, by far, and we're sort of known for making games you can play for months, years, and even decades if you're a little bit...dedicated.

With Destiny, we're looking to exceed what we've done before, not just in terms of scale - the Moon is our smallest destination - but in terms of scope and breadth of activities. That's true for day one, as you expect, but it also means we want Destiny to have super long legs.

If we're fortunate enough to have you playing months after launch, you still find lots of compelling stuff to do. That will manifest itself in a myriad of ways, from straight up content to cool activities we've yet to show off.

We think we did a decent job supporting Halo, post launch, but we were only ever able to cater to the competitive set. That left a lot of players out in the cold. That made a lot of the team grumpy. We wanted to do better. So, Destiny is philosophically built support every type of player, and all modes with ongoing activities and events. We look at it quite a bit like television programming, as opposed to a singular film, as we had in the past. We think it's gonna be pretty great, but we wanted to test out a bunch of our new stuff with Beta, to make sure we could flip knobs and levers live, reacting and responding with lots (and, ho boy, did we see LOTS) of players online and playing.

Beta was water wings. Level 8 is nothing. You barely scratched the surface, and it seems like some folks had fun with what was there.

If you did, good news. More soon.

But it's Sunday and this is just a stupid thread!

Anyway, don't want to sound like a butthurt, but you're basically saying nothing. Sure, plenty of stuff to come, no doubts about it. Why? Because I say so, obviously! You won't get my money based on empty words mate.

This thread man

ifrwBTAYRbOL7.gif

LOL WAT

Procedurally generated yes... but permanantly available. If everyone here at gaf each found one planet... everyone else would be able to visit that same planet at some point... essentially making for hundreds of visit-able planets... this is why people were hoping for a bigger scope to Destiny... why couldnt it offer more planets?

I don't need more planets. I just need more to explore on the ones we have.

Nokterian

Oh, hello.

Destiny's pretty big. It's the biggest game we've ever made, by far, and we're sort of known for making games you can play for months, years, and even decades if you're a little bit...dedicated.

With Destiny, we're looking to exceed what we've done before, not just in terms of scale - the Moon is our smallest destination - but in terms of scope and breadth of activities. That's true for day one, as you expect, but it also means we want Destiny to have super long legs.

If we're fortunate enough to have you playing months after launch, you still find lots of compelling stuff to do. That will manifest itself in a myriad of ways, from straight up content to cool activities we've yet to show off.

We think we did a decent job supporting Halo, post launch, but we were only ever able to cater to the competitive set. That left a lot of players out in the cold. That made a lot of the team grumpy. We wanted to do better. So, Destiny is philosophically built support every type of player, and all modes with ongoing activities and events. We look at it quite a bit like television programming, as opposed to a singular film, as we had in the past. We think it's gonna be pretty great, but we wanted to test out a bunch of our new stuff with Beta, to make sure we could flip knobs and levers live, reacting and responding with lots (and, ho boy, did we see LOTS) of players online and playing.

Beta was water wings. Level 8 is nothing. You barely scratched the surface, and it seems like some folks had fun with what was there.

9OKlTUd.gif

Still excited for the game though! :)

So, paid DLC.

:\

Why is this the first thing that popped in to my head when I heard continued support... Bungie, I love ya. Played tons of the Halo so I want to believe we aren't going to be milked by the ol' Activision DLC shuffle. Urk, if you are still reading can you confirm that content updates are going to be substantial outside of paid DLC?

Frostburn

Oh, hello.

I enjoyed my time with the Alpha and Beta immensely and after playing I'm looking forward to the final game even more than before. My friends and I that played all enjoyed it and the whole exploring the world while chatting in a fireteam was a ton of fun. People's reactions have been disappointing seeing as how much content we'll get is sort of unknown at this point.

JLeack

Banned
from what I remember the press had a lot to do with how much Titanfall was hyped up. as for Destiny there was multiple gaming sites claiming to be unimpressed with what they played. It wasn't until the Alpha that people started to get genuinely hyped for the game.

And Titanfall is an awesome game. Your point?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
No bias reco for Destiny official thread:

Destiny - Great Game or Greatest Game?

Where's Dax when I need her most?

That was good. Honestly I have no issues with this game and I was trying to see your statements in a good light I just saw PR statement number 8363, and I was like ok.... I understand.... but it needs more pizazz.

Oh, hello.

Hey, Urk, could you maybe comment on the beta vs. the full release in terms of story content? Not additional missions that we haven't seen yet, but is there more going on in/around the sequences we've played already? Additional cutscenes, dialogue, that sort of thing.

Darknight

They could also try to innovate in the gameplay department, They are doing this massive multi million dollar productions that really do nothing but incorporate carrot on a stick game design.
I bet some people will enjoy it greatly, and that is fine... Personally I'm currently having more fun with Spelunky than the one I had with the Destiny beta.

I'm dissapointing so far next gen just feels like a slighly upgrade version of last gen, no innovation, no risk, nothing exiting really.

Last gen didnt innovate nothing. It was more of the same but in HD and having less "limitations" from PS2/XB. Same as every generation really. The fact you enjoy Spelunky more means you are having different changing taste as you age. Its normal. Its like me I dont game as much as I do but Im not gonna complain games are too long to complete. If you dont like big games with similar formulas then just dont play them. I like Spelunky too but there is room for a game as destiny too in my backlog.

Also be realistic. Keep in mind this is a cross gen game. Too many people keep ignoring this. I think this game would look a tad better and run smoother if it was made for PS4/XB1 and PC. I expected some Halo in this and it shows. Guess if you are sick of Halo, you may dislike it but you must keep expectations in check. To me, Destiny is gonna be a solid game. I really dont see any "innovation" to come from this generation or the next but improvements across the board, yes. Graphics, animations, scope, resolution etc.

I wonder how much more would have been possible if they ditched old-gen and just went current? Everyone knows if they released this on PC, that it would have been even more epic - but it would of had to have been different servers etc.

geordiemp

You only have to look at the pre-order GUARDIAN edition and it tells you

There is 2 DLC in Guardian edition

Core game is £ 54.....Guardian edition is £ 84.

So that means each DLC story mission listed is £ 15.

Looks like standard Activision COD pricing.

Cant believe be people don't expect Acti to monetise the hell out of this. There probably is more Earth locations but you probably have to buy each one for £ 15 judging by the Guardian edition digital pricing.

Mindlog

We look at it quite a bit like television programming, as opposed to a singular film, as we had in the past.
Hrm.
That's a lot less cynical than the 'games as a service' spiel has always felt. Just needed to point that out.

Looking forward to 9/9.

You only have to look at the pre-order GUARDIAN edition and it tells you

There is 2 DLC.

Core game is £ 54.....Guardian edition is £ 84.

So that means each DLC story mission listed is £ 15.

Looks like standard Activision COD pricing.

Wow, you guys are getting screwed on price. Here, the expansions are only $20 each, and $35 for the Season Pass. Digital guardian actually save you $5 off the season pass. Part of why I'm considering it.

I wonder how much more would have been possible if they ditched old-gen and just went current? Everyone knows if they released this on PC, that it would have been even more epic - but it would of had to have been different servers etc.

I keep forgetting this is a ps3/x360 game also.

And it will just keep driving me batty that we're gonna be lingering in last gen's installed base for a long time still...

geordiemp

Wow, you guys are getting screwed on price. Here, the expansions are only $20 each, and $35 for the Season Pass. Digital guardian actually save you $5 off the season pass. Part of why I'm considering it.

Not if I don't buy it. £ 84 is taking the p.....

I expected Massive levels for that, not 5 friggin maps.

Cancelled my pre-order today and bought TLOU Ps4 instead.

OneUh8

Oh, hello.

So looking forward to release! Best of luck to you guys!

I keep forgetting this is a ps3/x360 game also.

And it will just keep driving me batty that we're gonna be lingering in last gen's installed base for a long time still...

Not for much longer, I think. Last-gen game sales have dropped precipitously, it won't be long before the porting costs overwhelm the reliable return.

Lemondish

The Gamespot article was great and talked about a big concern I had while playing strike.

If most of the strike bosses are like this...that's not fun.

Well, if they weren't idiots and worked as a team, they would have beaten it in under 2 minutes like I've done since the alpha.

What could this mean?

I imagine it means the game is a few months out and the marketing will be kicking into high gear.

After, digging deeper into impressions and watching some extended videos, I believe I have better set my expectations. For me, with my understanding of the structure, well balanced PvP and loot variety are the 2 keys for longevity for myself. From impressions it seems loot variety is pretty poor in the beta, however, that is one area I would expect to be very poorly represented in early low level beta. Getting impressions that I trust is very important for me because Destiny wouldn't just be a game purchase, it was to be the catalyst for a new console purchase.

Mine01

I was buying a ps4 for this game (and all the others, but this was my most wanted), i guess ill wait till february for The Witcher 3.

Top Bottom