• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Only one area per planet

Portugeezer

Urk's reply seemed to lack content.

It was just his beta comment.

mj-laughing.gif

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Read that Bungie post. First, I think its cool they reached out to address the issue, consumers don't like being left in the dark so points there.

Now as far as there being enough content to warrant the $60, they didn't really say anything that I saw to counter that. They said more is on the way and that we haven't scratched the surface but I don't want to be nickel and in this case dollared to get below said surface. If in fact they are about to ship a disc with just 4 planets for $60, obviously they think thats ok, that its enough content. But I guess we don't know if that's what they're saying, not yet.

I appreciate how hard these people have to work to make these awesome games and I really enjoyed the beta, I think they've got a great foundation here. So I don't want to come off as another entitled, whining internet turd but I do have concerns about the amount of content we'll see for our initial investment and nothing in that post put me at ease.

Woo-Fu

Banned
"only one area per planet" doesn't mean much without knowing how many planets we're talking about.

On the other hand people who approach this like they would an MMO are going to be clamoring for more content within days/weeks of release, regardless of how much it ships with. I'm not saying it is an MMO, particularly not saying it since hardly anybody agrees what MMO even means nowadays. I'm saying if you approach it the way you would any game you consider an MMO. Nicely sidesteps the MMO argument. :)

Oh, hello.

Destiny's pretty big. It's the biggest game we've ever made, by far, and we're sort of known for making games you can play for months, years, and even decades if you're a little bit...dedicated.

With Destiny, we're looking to exceed what we've done before, not just in terms of scale - the Moon is our smallest destination - but in terms of scope and breadth of activities. That's true for day one, as you expect, but it also means we want Destiny to have super long legs.

If we're fortunate enough to have you playing months after launch, you still find lots of compelling stuff to do. That will manifest itself in a myriad of ways, from straight up content to cool activities we've yet to show off.

We think we did a decent job supporting Halo, post launch, but we were only ever able to cater to the competitive set. That left a lot of players out in the cold. That made a lot of the team grumpy. We wanted to do better. So, Destiny is philosophically built support every type of player, and all modes with ongoing activities and events. We look at it quite a bit like television programming, as opposed to a singular film, as we had in the past. We think it's gonna be pretty great, but we wanted to test out a bunch of our new stuff with Beta, to make sure we could flip knobs and levers live, reacting and responding with lots (and, ho boy, did we see LOTS) of players online and playing.

Beta was water wings. Level 8 is nothing. You barely scratched the surface, and it seems like some folks had fun with what was there.

If you did, good news. More soon.

These are the questions that the beta caused me to have.
  • Why was so much content reused for the missions in beta?
  • Does your promise that the content in the beta was just 'water wings' referring to it in relation to the released version of the game, or the game with all of its paid content?
  • Outside of redoing strikes and raids repeatedly, what is the concept for end game PvE
The general concern that needs to be answered is the amount of content that will be available in the $60 version of the game. Is Destiny a standalone game or is it really a subscription based game in disguise?

Ramirez

How easy is it to delete fusion coils from Destiny maps?

How many shishkas does it take to remove a coil on Valhalla?

I spent a lot of time on the beta, I'm not that worried about the amount of content. Bungie usually delivers, even though I love giving them shit.

Destiny's pretty big. It's the biggest game we've ever made, by far, and we're sort of known for making games you can play for months, years, and even decades if you're a little bit...dedicated.

If we're fortunate enough to have you playing months after launch, you still find lots of compelling stuff to do. That will manifest itself in a myriad of ways, from straight up content to cool activities we've yet to show off.

We think we did a decent job supporting Halo, post launch

fortunately for Bungie im going to pick up Destiny in a year from now lol

Lemondish

So I don't want to come off as another entitled, whining internet turd but I do have concerns about the amount of content we'll see for our initial investment and nothing in that post put me at ease.

Too late.

Can one of you whiners please describe for me their expectations? Put numbers to it. Tell me by using number-of-BF-campaigns as a unit of measurement or something. All I keep hearing is that their nondescript concerns aren't being met. How about sharing those expectations?

Oh, hello.

With Destiny, we're looking to exceed what we've done before, not just in terms of scale - the Moon is our smallest destination - but in terms of scope and breadth of activities. That's true for day one, as you expect, but it also means we want Destiny to have super long legs.

We think we did a decent job supporting Halo, post launch, but we were only ever able to cater to the competitive set. That left a lot of players out in the cold. That made a lot of the team grumpy. We wanted to do better. So, Destiny is philosophically built support every type of player, and all modes with ongoing activities and events. We look at it quite a bit like television programming, as opposed to a singular film, as we had in the past. We think it's gonna be pretty great, but we wanted to test out a bunch of our new stuff with Beta, to make sure we could flip knobs and levers live, reacting and responding with lots (and, ho boy, did we see LOTS) of players online and playing.

Beta was water wings. Level 8 is nothing. You barely scratched the surface, and it seems like some folks had fun with what was there.

I read this as $60 base game, $30 expansion, $15 mission DLC, $10 weapon/armor DLC, $20 Planet add-on DLC, $5 dancing emote DLC, another $30 expansion, $15 multiplayer map pack and then all over again for Destiny 2! But hey, at least they have an event where I can get a free emblem! But then again that's probably just one emblem they chose from a $5 emblem DLC pack.

So much post-release content guys!

I could be wrong, but they hyped and described SO much content at release and post-release and I doubt Kotick and Co. will hand it out in free updates.

Ramirez

Too late.

Can one of you whiners please describe for me their expectations? Put numbers to it. Tell me by using number-of-BF-campaigns as a unit of measurement or something. All I keep hearing is that their nondescript concerns aren't being met. How about sharing those expectations?

They probably expected the amount of zones to match mmos. Which Bungie has wanted to distance themselves from, maybe this is part of the reason, lol.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Too late.

30 hours. I want 30 hours minimum of non PVP content.

"only one area per planet" doesn't mean much without knowing how many planets we're talking about.

On the other hand people who approach this like they would an MMO are going to be clamoring for more content within days/weeks of release, regardless of how much it ships with. I'm not saying it is an MMO, particularly not saying it since hardly anybody agrees what MMO even means nowadays. I'm saying if you approach it the way you would any game you consider an MMO. Nicely sidesteps the MMO argument. :)

We seem to have a good idea of how many planet's we are dealing with. If the reef is another hub like the tower, it's Earth, the Moon, Mars, and Venus for single player content.

acevans2

How do you know if you got the emblem for playing during right time window yesterday? I played at about 6pm and I assumed that was good (went to the Moon, etc) but I didn't receive anything yet.

Karl Hawk

Banned
I read this as $60 base game, $30 expansion, $15 mission DLC, $10 weapon/armor DLC, $20 Planet add-on DLC, $5 dancing emote DLC, another $30 expansion, $15 multiplayer map pack and then all over again for Destiny 2! But hey, at least they have an event where I can get a free emblem! But then again that's probably just one emblem they chose from a $5 emblem DLC pack.

So much post-release content guys!

That is rather cynical.

Oh, hello.

I'm not sure why everyone is getting excited for this comment. It doesn't address the concerns expressed in this thread. Just that if you liked the beta, you should enjoy the game. What's new here? That there is going to be dlc, we already knew that.

I think some people expected a guild wars type game and the content that went with it. I think this is a failure of marketing. Plus some of the stuff that they have said that turns out to have been changed during the course of development.

Too late.

Ok first of all, just because someone has a negative view/opinion/concern about something and you don't agree with it doesn't mean they're whining. This is literally my least favorite mindset that some people have. Then you go off "whining" about other people "whining" (using your definition of it). We should be able to share our genuine thoughts/concerns on a game without being called anything derogatory.

How do you know if you got the emblem for playing during right time window yesterday? I played at about 6pm and I assumed that was good (went to the Moon, etc) but I didn't receive anything yet.

You won't really know until you boot it up in September but as long as you played during the time frame Bungie stated then you should get it.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Ok first of all, just because someone has a negative view/opinion/concern about something and you don't agree with it doesn't mean they're whining. This is literally my least favorite mindset that some people have. Then you go off "whining" about other people "whining" (using your definition of it). We should be able to share our genuine thoughts/concerns on a game without being called anything derogatory.

Seriously. I thought I addressed my concern as politely and with as much tact as I could.

That is rather cynical.

Maybe yeah, but like I said in my edit, they described so much content and still are and like many others, I just aren't seeing it in the base $60 game. It didn't answer any of our concerns. People's concerns about what content are we getting in the game we buy and all he said was "don't worry guys, we got lots of it somewhere!"

Portugeezer

Oh, hello.

iraqi-information-minister.jpg

I appreciate someone from Bungie trying to ease our concerns, but what I took away from that post was "Don't worry, this game can last for years of you spend more money on DLC."

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Too late.

Was expecting at least Borderlands 1/2 levels of content/variety in locations, from what I've read its not even there.

Too late.

Even though there are some/a lot of people overreacting, this is uncalled for.

And quite a few people have explained them. Quite a few may be ridiculous, but others I think are rather reasonable.

Gaz_RB

That’s one of the reasons forums exists. To let concerned people expresa themselves.

But concern is such a weird feeling to have for a video game. Concern is something you have for a family member who has a nasty rash that won't go away, or for the small knock your engine makes when you switch gears.

It's concerning.

I think most of the concerns in the thread were valid and reasonable. There were only a few comments that where saying something way out there like "destiny is going to be a trainwreck" or "there will be 20 minute speedruns." It's best to not cherry pick the outlier comments and blow them out of proportion and group them with all of the other people who were more reasonable with their expression of disappointment.

Vire

Was expecting at least Borderlands 1/2 levels of content/variety in locations, from what I've read its not even there.

Does Borderlands have any player vs. player content? Maps designed from the ground up for competitive multiplayer?

The answer is no.

These things don't come at zero cost.

Do I think this game will provide more content than any CoD game? Yup. Yet everyone lined up to hand over $60 Day 1 for that series year after year. And not to mention the map packs. Ooh, I can have Snoop in the game? Take my money...

This thread:
lulz57orm.gif

I think most of the concerns in the thread were valid and reasonable. There were only a few comments that where saying something way out there like "destiny is going to be a trainwreck" or "there will be 20 minute speedruns." It's best to not cherry pick the outlier comments and blow them out of proportion and group them with all of the other people who were more reasonable with their expression of disappointment.

Yep.

It would help if you could confirm the number of unique environments we can look forward to in Destiny's PVE, and if any areas get larger or more densely packed than what we saw in Old Russia and the Moon.

Top Bottom