- Developer | Bungie
- Publisher | Activision
- Platform(s) | PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One
- Rated | Teen
- Genre | FPS, Shared World Shooter
- World Release | September 9th, 2014
Destiny is set in the 28th century in a post-apocalyptic setting. Humans spread and colonized the Solar System with the help of a spherical entity known as "the Traveler" who reshaped the universe and taught us new technologies and mystical powers that led to a time later called the Golden Age. An event known as "The Collapse", an attack from the Darkness that saw the dissolution of these colonies and left the human race on the brink of extinction. The only known survivors are those living on Earth, who were saved by the Traveler. The Traveler hovers above the last remaining human city, and its presence allows the Guardians of the City, the ability to wield an unknown power.
Destiny is a Sci-Fi Fantasy First Person Shooter. The player takes the role of a "Guardian" and must set foot in the wild frontier with your fireteam to defend the city and reclaim what has been lost. You are also partnered with your AI companion know as a "Ghost" (voiced by Peter Dinklage).
Bungie has labeled Destiny as a "Shared World Shooter". Players seamlessly matchmake with other Guardians, even when playing solo, and you can regularly witness other Guardians' adventures and may even combine efforts in the wild, together. Destiny borrows social elements from MMOs, and character creation/investment elements from RPGs. There are cooperative and competitive elements, but you can go alone, you're just not alone in this world.
Destiny also enhances the social aspect of gaming through the Destiny Companion, Cooperative, Public Events, Stats and discussion. Destiny incorporates a leveling system not only for the player, but for their weapons, gear, ships and loot streams. Players can choose to join Factions to fight against other Guardians in PvP or can choose to spend time "solo" where you can find exclusive loot.
Destiny is designed from the ground up to be better when you play it with your friends. You can have solitary cinematic experiences, but the game entices you to participate in cooperative events. Destiny is the first game of a brand new 10 year IP from Bungie. It requires an online connection, there is no offline play.
Players take on the role of a "Guardian" the defendants of the last safe city on earth. In Destiny, you can choose from different races (Human, Exo, Awoken) as well as Classes (Titan, Warlock, Hunter). While your race only impacts cosmetically, your class will impact your playstyle. Players can have up to three Guardian profiles on a single account, and you can use the "Vaults" in the Tower to trade items between your own Guardians.
Guardians have their own unique traits (Agile Hunters, Bestow Titans and Hovering Warlocks) as well as cosmetic distinctions (Hunter's Cape, Titan's Badge, Warlock's Bond)
For more information on each class, click on the banners below.
There are four known enemy races to the last safe city. Each of them have home planets that you'll see more of and there may be instances where you'll see enemies encounter each other. Enemies come in all shapes and sizes and different classes of enemies within each race, including boss battles.
Click on the banners below to see more information about enemy races.
At launch, players will be able to visit these locations. Each location includes one "explorable" play space, several story missions, strikes and crucible maps. Players will come across other live players while exploring to meet up with or pass by. The only exception of Mercury, which has only been announced to only have one Crucible Map "Burning Shrine". Mercury is not fully explorable like the other destinations.
For more information on each destination, click on the banners below.
The last safe city on Earth. The tower is a social hub that gathers Guardians together upgrade their weapons, gear, ships, armor and more. You can attain bounties for missions against AI or other players to get rewards. When Guardians visit the Tower, they will be placed in 3rd person mode.
Destiny's Campaign Storyline. You can choose to venture this alone or with your FireTeam.
Choose to explore alone or with your friends. These are public spaces where you can see other Fire Teams and come across Public Events. Use this mode to find rare loot, complete beacon missions and to venture out in the wild.
Destiny's Competitive Multiplayer. Play against other Guardians to test your skill and earn rewards specific to Crucible. Maximum player limit is 6v6, you can search in Crucible Matchmaking with a full team of 6 players.
Cooperative Fire Team Mission. Entering a Strike, you will start in a public space where you can meet other Guardians similar to Explore. When you begin a Strike you will be separated to only your Fire Team.
Destiny's ultimate cooperative mode with six Guardians. There is no matchmaking, the only known Raid is "The Vault of Glass". Good luck.
- Fire Team- Destiny's cooperative elements are broken to it's most basic form "Fire Teams". A Fire Team consists of three players where you can choose to tackle Destiny's game quests and competitive multiplayer together. Some gamemodes feature coordination of multiple Fire Teams.
- Focus - Your Guardian will specialize in Focus that will determine your class specific abilities. Each category within a Focus can be upgraded as you advance through it's skill tree. Some Foci have a minimum player level to unlock them. They are the primary way to level and improve your Guardian in the form of a subclass. Each focus has a leveling system from 1-20. Within these levels comes a tier system in which you can choose how you want your focus to turn out, obtaining unique abilities along the way.
- Private Loot Stream - You don't have to worry about your buddies or strangers stealing your loot. Destiny's loot system is built so you only find rewards that are meant for you. Loot can be found in all gamemodes. In Crucible, you will attain loot at the end of a game. In Explore, Strikes, Raids and Story you can find loot boxes for you and your fireteam. They may be in a different location should you return.
- Character Progression - Your Guardian will be the Guardian you use across all your gamemodes. You can create up to three Guardians on a single PSN/XBL account. Choose your class and race and unlock abilities for your Guardian as you rank up.
- Public Events - In public spaces, you will come across "Public Events" which are are missions for any Guardian (regardless of Fire Team) that choose to participate. These events only occur when there are enough active players in a play space at designated times. You gain experience and rewards for your Guardian if you choose to take part.
- Sparrow - Each Guardian will be able to spawn a Sparrow (mobile transport vehicle) that you can use to get around in public spaces quicker. You can upgrade your Sparrow at the tower to more advanced control schemes and cosmetic looks. The Sparrow has no guns attached, only for transport.
- Active Roster - Bungie's way for you to see what friends are online for you at a glance. This is within your start menu. You can see who is in your FireTeam, who is on your friends list, and who is in the same playable space with you. This is built in-game so you don't have to leave to your dashboard to invite a friend to play.
- Hidden Ghosts - Throughout Explore, Strikes, Raids, Missions and the Tower, there are hidden ghosts to be found in the most unlikely of locations. Each one counts towards your Grimoire score and can include bits of lore found when reading Grimoire Cards.
- Grimoire Score - Bungie's active progression system that keeps track of all kills with weapon/style/supers on enemy types and mixed scenarios (including hidden ghosts, vehicle kills and much more). Each "tier" of Grimoire scales up in points and your Grimoire Score is a running total of ALL your Guardians on your account, which can be found in game, through the companion app or on bungie.net.
- Clan Support - Destiny incorporates Clan Support when tied to your Clan on bungie.net. Destiny is designed to be played with friends, join up or start your own. There is a Clan for DestinyGAF, keep scrolling for information!
- Achievements/Trophies - List of Achievements/Trophies for Destiny.
Bungie has launched a mobile companion app [Download iOS, Download Google Play] so you can monitor all your Destiny progress on the go. You can view weapons, stats, your friends list and even arrange when to meet with them on your Destiny adventures when you're away from your console. Check out an IGN walkthrough of the mobile companion.
Click to view full size - More screens here
- 9/4/14 | Official Destiny Live Action Trailer Become Legend
- 8/21/14 | Official Destiny Launch Gameplay Trailer
- 6/11/14 | Destiny: Official E3 Gameplay Experience Trailer
- 6/9/14 | Official Destiny E3 Trailer -- New Beginnings
- 4/28/14 | Official Destiny Strike Gameplay: The Devils' Lair
- 10/1/13 | Official Destiny Gameplay Trailer: The Moon
- 8/22/13 | Destiny ViDoc: Out Here in the Wild
- 7/8/13 | Building the Destiny E3 Reveal -- Bungie Commentary
- 7/3/13 | Official Destiny Gameplay E3 Walkthrough in HD
- 6/13/13 | Official Destiny E3 Gameplay Trailer
- 5/23/13 | The Law of The Jungle - Live Action Destiny Trailer
- 3/28/13 | Destiny Character Development: Bungie at GDC 2013
- 2/20/13 | Destiny PlayStation 4 Official Announcement
- 2/17/13 | Destiny ViDoc: Pathways Out of Darkness
DestinyGAF is a Destiny clan & group for GAF members, by GAF members. If youre interested in joining up, check out the FAQ in the thread!
Thanks to Firestream, ash55 and Arbitor5 for image editing/compiling with Spawnling's OT. Thanks to Hylebos, Twilight Gap, ChorrizoTapatio, EZCompany, Foman123, ncsuDuncan, CortanaV, Lord Revan, True Underdog and MoonDawg for proofreading and formatting Spawnling's OT.
Also, special thanks to me for being awesome.
- Bungie.net | Twitter (@Bungie, @DestinyTheGame) | Facebook (Bungie, DestinyTheGame) | YouTube (Bungie, DestinyTheGame)
Home of Bungie and The 7th Column, developer of Destiny, Halo, Myth, Oni, and Marathon, and the only way to get information straight from the source.
- Activision.com | Twitter
Activision's home being the new publisher of Bungie.
- Destiny.Bungie.Org | Twitter
Destiny.Bungie.Org (or simply DBO) is a fansite devoted to the videogame Destiny. It was founded by Claude Errera (Louis Wu) who also developed for Halo.Bungie.Org and Marathon.Bungie.Org.
- Destinypedia | Twitter
Official Community-run Wiki for Destiny, including news, announcements, and information about Destiny gameplay and lore.
- Bungiepedia | Twitter
Official Bungie Wiki created by the community. Includes Bungie lore, inside jokes and your mom.
- Destiny on Reddit /r/DestinyTheGame
Home to the Reddit boards, discuss Destiny and Bungie over on Reddit!