• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny The Taken King starring Bungie with special guest appearance by Game Informer

bojVOWs.png

So a lot of information has been coming out bits and pieces at a time regarding Bungie's new "Mega-Expansion" the Taken King for it's Destiny platform. Specifically, Game Informer is releases chunks a few times a week. So rather than create a thread for every individual piece of news. I thought I'd collaborate it all here.

Update: Bungie is going to show off TTK over Twitch on the next 3 Wednesdays.

DESTINY YEAR TWO - 19 AUG 2015 - 11AM PDT
How will your own personal highlights from the first year of Destiny translate to the second? What will your Guardian's lifestyle be like in the new and improved Tower? How will your Guardian become a more powerful snowflake over the course of your next journey? Is it true that Character Level and Light will rise in exciting new ways? All will be revealed and explained.

Pro-Tip: Don’t dismantle anything until the full developer briefing.

STRIKE THE DREADNAUGHT – 26 AUG 2015 - 11AM PDT
What’s it like to infiltrate the Dreadnaught? What surprises do the Taken have for us in combat? How are boss battles different in The Taken King? Join us for a new Strike against a rival Cabal invasion force. See the new Guardian sub-classes in action. Witness the action that will begin Year Two.

COURT OF ORYX – 2 SEPT 2015 - 11AM PDT
What mysteries lie in wait within the cavernous hull of the Dreadnaught? How can Guardians plunder the treasures secreted away in its hideous labyrinth? Come along with us on a Patrol of the newest destination in your Director. Learn how Guardians can instigate Public Events. Behold the challenges and the rewards that await you on board the capital ship commanded by Oryx.

JKsN8Y4.png

Item 1: Let's talk about Vanilla Destiny.

Because of the way Bungie updates their game, almost all of the Quality of Life improvements made to Destiny actually applies to all players of the game. What I mean by that is if you only own Vanilla Destiny, or any combination of the existing expansions, you'll gain the benefits of the following:

The original game is being reworked with Taken King's new quest structure. While we don't know the specifics, we do know that Bungie is making an effort to streamline the original game's story in a way that makes it easier to understand what little story there was.

Bungie mentioned adding quests to unlock your characters original 2nd subclass.

The amount of Bounties you can hold in the game is being doubled. You will be able to turn bounties in without visiting the tower.

The amount of currencies in the game is being reduced. Plasteel Plating, Hadronic Essence, and Sapphire Wire are all being replaced with a single "Armor Material" component that is used across all classes. Vanguard Marks and Crucible Marks are being combined into "Legendary Marks". While the Game Informer article said marks, I think it was possibly confused with the Commendations.

In addition to clearing out currencies, shaders and emblems will no longer be something you have to carry around taking up space. Vendors are being installed that allow you to simply choose from a list of unlocked items. It will even show you the items you don't have unlocked and explain how to obtain them.

Cut-scenes will now be able to be skipped.

Nolan North is replacing the voice of Peter Dinklage as the main character's Ghost. According to Game Informer the lines from Vanilla haven't changed, and Nolan's ghost sounds a little like Elijah Wood.

Year 1 PSN exclusive content will be made available to XBL users at release. This includes, but is not limited to: Hawkmoon, Monte Carlo, 4th Horseman, Strike-Dust Palace, Strike-Undying Mind, PvP-Exodus Blue, PvP-Timekeeper

Bungie has added more PvP announcer lines. Shaxx will now drop the old favorites of announcing multi-kills and sprees to you.

lEhUzOl.png

Item 2: Let's talk about the Story

The Taken King's Story portion is mostly driven by 8 Missions. Note that Vanilla had 12 missions for it's main story (3 per planet). Of those 8 missions we know that not all of them take place on the new Dreadnaught location. We've seen some missions on Mars, Mercury, Earth, and Mar's moon Phobos. While Phobos is a playable space, it is not a new full destination in the same way the Dreadnaught is.

During these missions communication between auxiliary characters has greatly increased. Now when someone else is talking, you'll see their name in the corner. We've seen glimpses of the first missions and there is a lot of communication between Com. Zavala and Eris Morn. We also have glimpses of a cutscene between Cayde-6 (Nathan Fillion's character) and Holliday the shipwright. We've even seen a cinematic cutscene with the Awoken princey-mc-douchebag. Again, cut-scenes are all now skippable.

After the main story missions are done, Act 2 will start up with the Taken War. This is a large collaboration of quests and side missions and strikes.

We've gotten glimpses of story stuff in Act 2 as well. Mild spoiler following: The Hive are not a unified race. Oryx keeps an old rival of his on the ship imprisoned who turns out to be the boss of the Sunless Cell strike. Through this strike we learn that Oryx fought for his position, and that not all Hive are blind followers.

The game will now have objects and/or creatures that can be scanned (ala Metroid Prime) and prompt Ghost to read off some information or back-story regarding the object you just scanned.

uo3LS44.png

Item 3: Let's talk about Character Progression

Taken King is removing the current leveling system that was in place with Vanilla Destiny. Originally when a character hit level 20, they had to gain armor pieces that gave them stat points towards their "Light". A player could then gain Light Levels in an effort to reach level 34 (the current cap). Taken King does away with all of that and lets every level up normally to the new cap of 40. If you've played Destiny before, you'll start TTK with your character at a level equal to the highest light level they had achieved prior. Thus, most of us will be started TTK at level 34.

Besides levels Bungie is letting the majority of old gear expire. While we could upgrade old stuff to House of Wolves levels, Bungie opted out of that system in an effort to start fresh. From what we've seen, this only applies to Legendaries. They've been very specific to say Legendaries up to this point, so it could be safe to assume exotics are going to be okay.

While this means all legendary armor is going to be worthless in the long haul, legendary weapons may still have a purpose. Remember that PvP has 11 gametypes where all weapons are normalized, so any old legendaries will still be just as effective in these areas.

As a work around for some RNG issues. Bungie is now giving the weaponsmith his own reputation and quests. Once you've been approved by the weaponsmith, you'll gain access to something call Armsday. Armsday lets you order a specific legendary weapon that you want and have it "shipped" to your character later that week. It requires a time investment, but the RNG factor is entirely gone.

Xur will also begin selling a new item that increases the chance of an exotic drop on your next boss kill. No idea what percentage this will be at all. This reads more like Bungie attempting to get people to cash in their stores of Strange Coins they've been holding on to.

We also know very little about a weapon upgrade system that involves sacrificing 1 weapon to boost another. We've just been told by Bungie to not clear out our inventories just yet, and more details will come soon.

Characters stats like Strength, Intelligence, and Discipline are being rebuilt with a tier system and will actually tell you exactly how much time you will be shaving off from your cooldowns.

Characters no longer required to wear faction class items for rep purposes. You can simply pledge your allegiance and wear whatever you want.

5W8oOyw.png

Item 4: Let's talk about game mechanics

A big issue a lot of people have/had with Destiny is the lack of engaging PvE encounters. A large portion of the game was very similar in the way it played. Go here, defend this, move up, kill that. All finishing very similary with a giant bullet-sponge boss at the end. Bungie has heard the criticisms and is working to make the new stuff very engaging. Below is a brief summary of the new Strike boss mechanics:

The following list is a minor spoiler, so feel free to skip if you want to go in fresh.
  • The Sunless Cell
    The Boss Fight for the encounter takes place is very low lighting. A Hive Knight with an axe is hunting us. We're talking real "The Darkness Stuff" here.​
  • Echo Chamber
    A giant vex similar to the Templar in Vault of Glass slowly rotates in the room. If you don't keep up with him, you'll die from his force wall. Stay behind cover to avoid his death beams. You can see glimpses of this in some existing trailers.​
  • Fallen Saber
    Least information known. We know it's the giant shank that was seen at E3.​
  • Shield Brothers
    Two Cabal leaders fight together. 1 has a giant mortar and a bubble shields that makes Titan's humbled.​

Bungie has also confirmed that they want to go back and tune up some older strikes. We do know that the 2 Playstation exclusive strikes are getting new alternate versions so it's possible the comment was in regards to this.

As well as introducing more complex mechanics in strikes, Bungie is also adding variation to strikes. Where the first time you run through you might encounter Cabal in an area, the next time you might find Hive or Taken. Voice-overs that happen during strikes are also being recorded to have variation. So you might hear different tidbits each time you play. Mostly stuff to break up the monotony.

As of this time there are no plans to add matchmaking into the high end PvE content (specifically raids). Bungie has it on their list of very important things to the players, and are very aware of how the player-base feels about it.

Bungie is also adding in 3 new PvP modes. Rift acts like Halo's classic Neutral Bomb. An orb needs to be picked up in the middle and carried to the enemies base. Mayhem is the new chaos mode. All character cooldowns are reduces by like 500% so supers and grenades are almost always active. Zones is a more traditional territories style game. It was specified as Control without getting points for kills.

We've also seen glimpses of new a new weapon type. A Heavy Weapon sword. We haven't seen it in action yet, just glimpses. We've also seen a lot more sidearms added into the mix. It's expected both of these weapon types will become fully fleshed out.

Mqdi8hI.png

Item 5: Let's talk about purchasing

Unfortunately, Bungie has sort of dropped the ball here with ways to purchase the Taken King.

First, let me mention that characters are tied to accounts and not consoles. If you bough a disc before and now want to go digital, you will NOT lose anything in the transition. Characters are tied to your PSN/XBL account so if you have been playing Vanilla on your PS3 and want the Legendary edition for PS4, all your characters will still be there for the transition.

If you have never bought a Destiny product before and want to start now, congrats! You're the ideal customer. You can buy the Legendary edition for $60 ($50 from Amazon Prime or Best Buy) that includes Vanilla Destiny, Dark Below, House of Wolves and Taken King. Correction! I've been shown that the Legendary edition is available for Digital purchase on Sept 15th. No pre-orders available.

If you've bought everything up to this point, you're in the second best situation. Chances are you're already a Bungie fan, so you wont mind dropping $40 bucks on the TTK stand alone.

Now, if you are not either of the two scenarios above, it gets complicated. Taken King requires you to have all the previous DLC, so if you only bought Dark Below or House of Wolves, you'll have to purchase them on top of TTK. Which is roughly $57.50. Which basically means you may as well buy the Legendary Edition.

Then comes the issue of Digital vs. Physical. The Legendary Edition is only physical, but the disc is just Vanilla Destiny with 3 codes for the 3 expansions. Expect to download 13 gigs (rough estimate) before you start playing.

Item 6: Let's talk about Game Informer and other sources

Game Informer has been giving us a pretty good feed of information. Updating us almost every day. Here are some links to their articles if you want to read up:

Intro and Teaser video
Talking about replacing Dinklage with Nolan North. (Hint: Bungie flat out said they needed someone more accessible)
A light-hearted rapid fire video Q and A with Lead Designer Luke Smith
Showing off one of the new Exotics of TTK
In Depth interview about building a story and learning from past mistakes.
Two guys from Game Informer spent a whole day with Bungie and talk about everything they got ot play/see.
Very quick look at all 8 new PvP maps.
Next Game Informer update is Aug 14th. Usually they come up around 1pm Eastern, but have shown up later on occasion.

hawk2025

Wait, what's going to happen to the achievements/trophies for getting the maximum weekly amount of each type of Mark, if they are not going to be around anymore?

Deku Tree

I feel like these regular drips of information from GI are really amazing, but also they are already starting to get repetitive.

blamite

Wait, what's going to happen to the achievements/trophies for getting the maximum weekly amount of each type of Mark, if they are nothing to be around anymore?
If I had to guess I'd say they'll just become "earn 100 marks in a week from Vanguard/Crucible sources." I'm sure there's still going to be a limit to how much you can get from each.

Noooooooooooooooooo

Was excited to read that they updated vanilla destiny since I'd like to go back to the game when taken king comes out and just play from beginning Level 1. I couldnt finish the original game, and I think enough time has past that I could come back and replay it from the beginning of the original, then the expansions.

But Dinklage is out. Face palm.

Couldnt they just do a "recalibrate" cutscene to transition to the new voice actor.

PLEASE let there be an option for dinklage even if the default is nolan.

Destiny. Constantly Disappointing.

Gator86

I feel like Destiny might actually be a good game after Taken King. I didn't think that was possible. Still waiting for reviews and impressions but it seems like they might have figured some stuff out. Better late than never.

Bungie absolutely murdered the concept of expansions though. TTK seems like an actual expansion. The previous DLC were just some mission packs.

All this information and I still don't know what to do with all this etheric light.

Using it on weapons and armor is a waste of effort but of course Bungie offers very little on the changes to the materials and currencies.

My only consolation is that each expansion has been getting closer to the place it should be.

All this information and I still don't know what to do with all this etheric light.

Using it on weapons and armor is a waste of effort but of course Bungie offers very little on the changes to the materials and currencies.

My only consolation is that each expansion has been getting closer to the place it should be.

I am expecting disappointment again.

There'll be all these great promises, people like me who love scifi RPG's (and really dont have many to choose from) will end up buying it, then find that the MMO Grind elements will just be transferred to new mechanisms and names.

SaganIsGOAT

Noooooooooooooooooo

Was excited to read that they updated vanilla destiny since I'd like to go back to the game when taken king comes out and just play from beginning Level 1. I couldnt finish the original game, and I think enough time has past that I could come back and replay it from the beginning of the original, then the expansions.

But Dinklage is out. Face palm.

Couldnt they just do a "recalibrate" cutscene to transition to the new voice actor.

PLEASE let there be an option for dinklage even if the default is nolan.

Destiny. Constantly Disappointing.

Mountain out of a molehill. They want consistency. It's not that difficult to understand.

jgf

Most of this sounds good, but the low light fight sounds horrible. I like destiny for its beautiful and colorful environments. We have enough other options for people who like gritty dark shooters. Hopefully not all of the dregnaught is in low light dark grey color scheme.

Wizman23

Banned
Good job OP great post. Does anyone know if the PS exclusive stuff from the past year is going to unlock for Xbox players on launch day?

hamchan

Sounds like they've heard most of the criticisms over the past year. Will still wait to see if they can actually execute on it but it's a good sign that they are acknowledging the problems at least.

Mountain out of a molehill. They want consistency. It's not that difficult to understand.

But...thats my point. Its entirely inconsistent with the original destiny 1 ghost character.

Its a robot thing right? I mean the story is non existent in the game so I dont know but I'd think a voice change for a flying robot isnt a big lore point that needs any complicated reasoning.

TTK is sounding really good.... But MGS V and FALLOUT 4 will keep me away unfortunately.

Yeah I expect those games to be way more impressive games. Taken king is relatively short dev cycle right?

8 missions sounds real short to me BTW

Still buying, but...keeping expectations pretty low.

SaganIsGOAT

But...thats my point. Its entirely inconsistent with the original destiny 1 ghost character.

Its a robot thing right? I mean the story is non existent in the game so I dont know but I'd think a voice change for a flying robot isnt a big lore point that needs any complicated reasoning.

North is now Dinklage. The ghost you knew at launch will not be the ghost we know any longer. Bungie doesn't want this jump from Dinklage to North if a player jumps between an old mission and new one. Especially with the new mission structure, it makes sense they wanted the ghost to have one consistent voice across the entire game.

border

Notable details from today's info dump:

New Ghost Shells -- equipping new, different ghost shells will give stat bonuses and perks (examples: +INT, +DIS, ability to sense spinmetal, ability to get more glimmer from Hive).

There's an exotic weapon you get by collecting 50 weapon parts hidden throughout the Dreadnought patrol zone

No more Vanguard Marks and Crucible Marks. Only Legendary Marks that you get from all activities.

Xur sells an item (Three of Coins) that will increase the chance of getting exotic items from your next boss kill.

AFK players will be teleported forward in the Strike so they cannot just hang back -- not really sure how this is meant to solve the AFK problem.

Nightfall modifiers will be handcrafted rather than random.

The name of the new High Level Strike Playlist is called *drumroll*...............Vanguard Marmoset! Hell Yeah!

itsy-bitsy-baby-marmoset-being-raised-in-germany-1-31942-1343257177-19_big.jpg

OP said:
Then comes the issue of Digital vs. Physical. The Legendary Edition is only physical, but the disc is just Vanilla Destiny with 3 codes for the 3 expansions. Expect to download 13 gigs (rough estimate) before you start playing.

I'd like to point this out as a correction to make. Currently, you cannot purchase the $60 edition digitally on Playstation or Xbox, but per Bungie's site:
Destiny: The Taken King - Legendary Edition gives you the next great adventure in Destiny and is perfect for new and existing Guardians that are ready to jump into the Destiny universe or continue to carve their legend in the stars. Available Sept 15th, 2015 on disc and digital download.

And the $80 digital edition:
For the ultimate Destiny Fan, the Digital Collector's Edition offers the complete Destiny experience with an expansive cache of special digital items to aid you on your adventure.

Play It Now - Pre-purchase the digital Collector’s Edition and immediately begin playing Destiny and both Expansions today!

It appears that the $80 edition is offering the ability to purchase and play existing content now as a bonus. The $60 edition should be available digitally on release date.

North is now Dinklage. The ghost you knew at launch will not be the ghost we know any longer. Bungie doesn't want this jump from Dinklage to North if a player jumps between an old mission and new one. Especially with the new mission structure, it makes sense they wanted the ghost to have one consistent voice across the entire game.

Its F****G north again seriously. I mean I like the guy, I really do I just...dont need to hear any more characters as him beyond PS4 uncharted, TLOU2 etc. Rockstar manage to voice case a relative unknown for the player characters in GTA games why cant Bungie do the same. We'll be flooded with North's voice in advertising for the new uncharted.

Anyway I get it, dinklage has more important roles to play than just video games.

Se_7_eN

Yeah I expect those games to be way more impressive games. Taken king is relatively short dev cycle right?

Their expansions all have VERY short single player content, usually completed in 2 hours max.

TTK has the longest amount of dev between all 3 expansions, it will definitely outshine their previous expansions... But it won't outshine MGS V or Fallout 4 IMO.

SaganIsGOAT

Its F****G north again seriously. I mean I like the guy, I really do I just...dont need to hear any more characters as him beyond PS4 uncharted, TLOU2 etc.

Anyway I get it, dinklage has more important roles to play than just video games.

He doesn't sound like north though so idk what to tell you.

Now, if you are not either of the two scenarios above, it gets complicated. Taken King requires you to have all the previous DLC, so if you only bought Dark Below or House of Wolves, you'll have to purchase them on top of TTK. Which is roughly $57.50. Which basically means you may as well buy the Legendary Edition.

What a load of bullshit, I was vaguely interested in TTK, I'll just wait another 6 - 12 months for the next expansion, what an incredibly stupid decision.

McArkus

I'm still crossing fingers that old guns and armor can be used in some way on the new ones, like using the elemental primary raid weapons to create new primary elemental ones, that would still validate to run the old raids.

Se_7_eN

Its F****G north again seriously. I mean I like the guy, I really do I just...dont need to hear any more characters as him beyond PS4 uncharted, TLOU2 etc. Rockstar manage to voice case a relative unknown for the player characters in GTA games why cant Bungie do the same. We'll be flooded with North's voice in advertising for the new uncharted.

Sounds like you like him.

I really doubt the Ghost will sound too much like him, it could always be worse... Like Mafia worse.

Sounds like you like him.

I really doubt the Ghost will sound too much like him, it could always be worse... Like Mafia worse.

I actually do, he's been in making of videos & interviews bunch of games and seems cool guy, real easy to get along with good sense of humor etc. I am actually glad to see him successful.

I actually really liked dinklage as the voice of ghost in destiny. I was concerned that he;d have way more important priorities than video games though...and that fear has been realized here. But who knows, maybe bungie were cheap asses - maybe dinklage asked outrageous price increases probably never know.

Alucrid

Banned
Notable details from today's info dump:

New Ghost Shells -- equipping new, different ghost shells will give stat bonuses and perks (examples: +INT, +DIS, ability to sense spinmetal, ability to get more glimmer from Hive).

There's an exotic weapon you get by collecting 50 weapon parts hidden throughout the Dreadnought patrol zone

No more Vanguard Marks and Crucible Marks. Only Legendary Marks that you get from all activities.

Xur sells an item (Three of Coins) that will increase the chance of getting exotic items from your next boss kill.

AFK players will be teleported forward in the Strike so they cannot just hang back -- not really sure how this is meant to solve the AFK problem.

Nightfall modifiers will be handcrafted rather than random.

The name of the new High Level Strike Playlist is called *drumroll*...............Vanguard Marmoset! Hell Yeah!

The only way to deal with AFK players is shoot them and hope they have the controller on a hard surface

Seeing as I only bought original Destiny, traded it in for $15 bucks, I haven't really spent a ton on the game and definitely don't feel burned by it like some users say with the prices of the DLC.

Think I'm jumping back in in September, unless something else grabs me.

Ashilyn

What a load of bullshit, I was vaguely interested in TTK, I'll just wait another 6 - 12 months for the next expansion, what an incredibly stupid decision.

How will that solve anything? You'll still need all the expansions and TTK then. Waiting's not saving you money.

The amount of Bounties you can hold in the game is being doubled. You will be able to turn bounties in without visiting the tower.

The amount of currencies in the game is being reduced. Plasteel Plating, Hadronic Essence, and Sapphire Wire are all being replaced with a single "Armor Material" component that is used across all classes. Vanguard Marks and Crucible Marks are being combined into "Legendary Marks".

Bungie is going so hard

Quick question about the new leveling system: If I'm not mistaken, Bungie has said that weapons and armor will still have Light Levels. Another thing they've said is that the new Raid will have a "suggested" Light Level.

So does this mean although the leveling may be changed, it will still be the exact same for people that want to beat the Hard Raid?

I dunno, man. I want to give it another chance but watching that latest game informer interview on "story" just makes me feel like they are on a whole other page than I am in what constitutes a good story and a sandbox shooter experience.

"Now when someone else is talking, you'll see their name in the corner. "

uh, so? If the characters are that dull and unremarkable that you need to tell the player who is speaking you have a problem that is not solved by putting their name in the corner.

And other things they're talking about like, before you had missions that you would go out on patrol and do. Now we give you a quest log you can pull up and see that you have to kill 3 more of this thing.

It sounds like the same old boring destiny shell of a game with a new coat of paint. I will probably get it because the legendary edition for $50 with the best buy unlocked is a pretty good deal to play the expansions, but i'm not expecting much.

They did make the right move by putting out this $60 complete version because I think a LOT of people sold this game and gave up on it earlier this year. If they were just pushing the taken king at $40 nobody is going to go out and spend $40 on the game and another $40 just to play a new expansion pack especially with end of year games coming out.

Quick question about the new leveling system: If I'm not mistaken, Bungie has said that weapons and armor will still have Light Levels. Another thing they've said is that the new Raid will have a "suggested" Light Level.

So does this mean although the leveling may be changed, it will still be the exact same for people that want to beat the Hard Raid?

Unconfirmed, but it seems like Light is going to be a fancy way of saying "Item Level" in TTK.

We've been told level 1 items will have Light on them now.

Also, we've been told that Light factors into your characters Attack and Defense stat somehow.

Specifics still unknown.

GhaleonEB

The 8 story missions are not the main part of the story, but the first part. Game Informer described them as being the first act of a two-act play: the missions set the stage for The Taken War, which is structured around branching quest lines that begin when the regular story missions leave off. Many of those quest lines have additional missions unique to them.

The other thing about the Dreadnaught is the way it acts as the broader endgame zone. There are a lot of quests, both there and in other places around the Destiny universe, that don’t open up until you hit level 40. Bungie has this structure called “The Taken War” which opens up after the initial story missions conclude. Some of those missions are really challenging.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...ing-hands-on-impressions.aspx?PostPageIndex=2

Gonna preorder the Legendary Edition, will be my first foray into Destiny since the beta last year

I always thought the gunplay felt good, hopefully TTK brings everything else up to par

Se'kami

Neo Member
Kinda jealous of the people who will experience the beginnings of the game with the "refined experiences" that they're speaking of.

Either way, I'll be making a transition into PS4 for TTK so that's a new experience in itself.

BokehKing

Banned
Well I already got 2 level 34's and a 33 on my ps4
But I think I'm going to level up 3 guardians from scratch on my Xbox one as well (once the changes go into effect)

JTripper

I hope I'm not the only one, but as someone who actually really enjoys Destiny, The Taken King seems like a pseudo-sequel with all the improvements and additions to me.

Top Bottom