• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny The Taken King starring Bungie with special guest appearance by Game Informer

Raonak

Banned
Its F****G north again seriously. I mean I like the guy, I really do I just...dont need to hear any more characters as him beyond PS4 uncharted, TLOU2 etc. Rockstar manage to voice case a relative unknown for the player characters in GTA games why cant Bungie do the same. We'll be flooded with North's voice in advertising for the new uncharted.

Anyway I get it, dinklage has more important roles to play than just video games.

Nolan north has got TONS of range, he is a very talented voice actor, I doubt he'd gonna use his normal nathan drake voice for this.

Holy shit, i wanted to buy this but those purchasing options are Ubisoft Spreadsheet levels of fucking ridiculous. "buy all the existing DLC in order to get the one bit of DLC that actually seems worth buying!!"
It really does seem to make sense to just buy the legendary edition, good thing i got a work bonus this month...

Hedge

Crucible is pvp, right? So with merging vanguard and crucible marks, can you then not just pvp for vanguard gear? Or buy pvp gear with doing vanguard stuff?

I might be in the small minority here but I love Destiny I bought both DLCs and pre ordered TTK collectors edition for £80

I guess I just don't see the hate that some people have for it I think it's an incredible shared world shooter with fun missions bosses and raids and the shooting mechanics are fantastic!

I'm hyped for The Taken King!

blazeuk

I might be in the small minority here but I love Destiny I bought both DLCs and pre ordered TTK collectors edition for £80

I guess I just don't see the hate that some people have for it I think it's an incredible shared world shooter with fun missions bosses and raids and the shooting mechanics are fantastic!

I love the game but the pricing makes no sense at all, those of us with all the current content actually aren't making any saving at all with their prices, it's cheaper to buy the physical release which contains everything (£36.85 at it's cheapest right now) over the "offer" price we were given digitally if we owned the content already (£39.99). If it's true that the physical copy just contains 3 codes then it makes it even more pointless to use their offer.

At least anyone with just Destiny who might want to try out CE and HoW will be able to pick up Expansion I&II for next to nothing when the market is flooded with codes that no-one wants.

Nice recap, and actually the first time I've properly seen the changes that are being implemented.

As a generally solo player that really enjoyed the game at first, but quickly got incredibly bored after level 20 and the RNG grind fest set in, this all sounds exactly what I needed to be able to start playing again.

Since these changes are retroactive too, I'll just hammer through the base game, Dark Below and House of wolves, then pick TTK up for cheap later, as I never got around to playing the previous DLC despite owning it.

I'm liking the changes that are coming...I'll bite. But why is the digital collectors edition the same price as the physical collectors edition $79.99? Physical comes with a lot of extras.

Its F****G north again seriously. I mean I like the guy, I really do I just...dont need to hear any more characters as him beyond PS4 uncharted, TLOU2 etc. Rockstar manage to voice case a relative unknown for the player characters in GTA games why cant Bungie do the same. We'll be flooded with North's voice in advertising for the new uncharted.

Anyway I get it, dinklage has more important roles to play than just video games.
https://youtu.be/ZjN574vC6fM

He'll be fine.

Carn82

There is only a single client version of Destiny regardless of what DLC/Expansions you do or don't purchase, so there's really no point to an "only" TTK physical release. Destiny will be updated to version 2.0 which will include TTK content slightly before or on release date.

This. I believe the last update was 7gb, so my guess is that theyre already pushing the content through. Everybody will run the same client with all the content, not owning the DLC/expansions will just lock you out from parts of it.

Carn82

Crucible is pvp, right? So with merging vanguard and crucible marks, can you then not just pvp for vanguard gear? Or buy pvp gear with doing vanguard stuff?

Sounds like it. But you still need to level the individual factions.

Blunoise

Your not int he minority' come to the gaming side and you will see how big we are as a community. Over their Destiny is life :)

hydruxo

I read the whole post but what if I only own vanilla Destiny and none of the expansions? Will I receive the new subclass for my level 32 hunter at least, even I I don't buy TTK?

If you only own vanilla Destiny and none of the expansions, you're better off buying The Taken King legendary edition ($60 normal price; but it's $50 for amazon prime members right now, as well as Best Buy GCU) which includes vanilla Destiny + both Year 1 expansions + Taken King. If you buy everything separately you'll be paying $35 for The Dark Below & House of Wolves + $40 for Taken King, so the legendary edition is a much better deal.

Devil

I just recently traded in my Destiny disk for about 17€ since I figured I'd never play it again. I was not interested in the game anymore, since I'm not the kind of player who likes to organize and play raids für ~2 hours. That was frustrating because I couldn't reach higher levels without getting the raid gear.

Now they have announced all these glorious changes.. Fuck! I'm really considering to buy the new Legendary Edition.

The following information has been added to the OP:

3 new PvP modes are being added. Rift (Neutral Bomb), Mayhem (All Supers all the time), and Zones (traditional territories).

Bungie is going back and adding a quest chain to unlock your original 2nd sublcass.

Armsday eliminates a fair chunk of RNG by letting you order a specific legendary weapon from the weaponsmith and have it delivered to you in a few real world days.

Xur will sell an item that lets you increase your chance of getting an exotic on your next boss kill.

Legendary weapons will somehow be sacrificed towards new stuff to make the new stuff even better. Bungie has discouraged people from dismantling stuff until further information is provided.

While the 8 story missions are Act 1, Act 2 is a large part of the game, involving several quest chains, side missions, and strikes. All this leads to Act 3, the raid.

Talked about story elements involving the Hive race:
The hive are not unified and the boss of the Sunless Cell is an old contender of Oryx. Background about the hive will be discovered during this strike.

Characters are tied to your PSN/XBL account. So whatever version you buy, or even if you upgrade from last gen to current, you're characters will be perfectly fine. The only exception here is jumping from PSN to XBL or the other way around.

Finally, PSN exclusive content will be made available to XBL players. This includes:
  • Exotic-Hawkmoon
  • Exotic-Monte Carlo
  • Exotic-4th Horseman
  • Strike-Dust Palace
  • Strike-Undying Mind
  • PvP-Exodus Blue
  • PvP-Timekeeper

I'm liking the changes that are coming...I'll bite. But why is the digital collectors edition the same price as the physical collectors edition $79.99? Physical comes with a lot of extras.

I'm not 100% on this, but I think if you buy the Digitial edition you can start playing the existing game right now.

Excellent collection of all the info!!!

Thank you OP. Mkaes it really easy to convey to my friends why they should jump back on Destiny lol

most interested in the 'what to do when ive done everything' level 40 stuff. really curious what the quests are, what kind of modifiers will be in nightfall, what kind of stuff they are doing to mix up strikes.

my biggest problem with destiny is still the monotony, not enough stuff to do and a requirement to do a lot of the same stuff a lot.

sounds like they are really putting the effort in there. if they really mix up the endgame and have a lot of good rewards, im all in.

border

Important questions that have not yet been answered:

When will The Taken King be playable? Previous expansions have launched around 1PM EST on their release date. PSN claims that Taken King "unlocks" at Midnight EST on Sept. 15, but that doesn't necessarily mean TTK content will go live. The answer to this question will largely determine whether I buy the digital or physical version of the game.

If I buy the physical version, am I really only going to get a vanilla disk? Activision can't even be bothered to press a version of the game with the new content on it? If all I get is a download code, does that mean I am going to have to sit through a 10-15GB download when I get home from the store? Or will TTK content be pre-loaded as other expansions have been?

Jito

Banned
Good for them, finally getting Destiny in the state it should have released a year ago. Gona get it on the cheap once they've patched the inevitable issues and oversights.

FyreWulff

When will The Taken King be playable? Previous expansions have launched around 1PM EST on their release date. PSN claims that Taken King "unlocks" at Midnight EST on Sept. 15, but that doesn't necessarily mean TTK content will go live. The answer to this question will largely determine whether I buy the digital or physical version of the game.

If I buy the physical version, am I really only going to get a vanilla disk? Activision can't even be bothered to press a version of the game with the new content on it? If all I get is a download code, does that mean I am going to have to sit through a 10-15GB download when I get home from the store? Or will TTK content be pre-loaded as other expansions have been?

Taken King will be playable when the content unlocks. We'll actually patch the Taken King content into the game about a week before Taken King comes out, like with the previous expansions, to give people enough time to get the patch before release.

probably will be answered much, much closer to launch.

edit: welp, nvm.

ocean

Banned

The content won't be on the disk, but it will pre load. Regardless of what DLC you own, everybody who plays Destiny runs the client on the same version. Owning the DLC or not just determines the license to use the content, but everyone has to download it anyways. So if you already have Destiny, it doesn't matter how you buy TK, you'll already have the expansion downloaded.

As for the time: it'll either be 10am GMT ( regular Tuesday reset time) or 6pm GMT ("late" reset used for Iron Banner, Trials of Osiris, and the launch of House of Wolves)

Taken King will be playable when the content unlocks. We'll actually patch the Taken King content into the game about a week before Taken King comes out, like with the previous expansions, to give people enough time to get the patch before release.

this is great but so many got angry when the patch to unlock it was only a couple of KB.
IT WAS ALL ON THE DISC.

Mass One

I believe that's thats the price for the new emotes, shaders, and sparrow; that's not the price for TTK.

Hope I'm wrong as $20 is the only price I'll jump in at.

That's for the extra's, TTK is $40 for the base expansion and if you want the additional stuff in the collectors edition it's another $20

That's the Fuck-You-Loyal-Fan tax fee if you want the extra emblems, shaders and class-specific leveling bonus gear. Add-on is 40 dollars.

giphy.gif

Oh wow. I did not know. So basically (correct my if I'm wrong), digital owners of destiny+season get the O'Long Johnson.

border

Taken King will be playable when the content unlocks.

The item description on PSN says "Play on 09-15-2015, Midnight Eastern Time". That is definitely when TTK content will be made available?

I just wanted to make sure that is the intent, and not some boilerplate text that Sony adds to all their product descriptions. The description on XBL makes no such promise so I wasn't exactly sure.

http://media.giphy.com/media/xyPmHxOoIc9Hi/giphy.gif[IMG]
Oh wow. I did not know. So basically (correct my if I'm wrong), digital owners of destiny+season get the O'Long Johnson.[/QUOTE]

For someone who owns Vanilla and both expansions, I can buy TTK digitally for $40.

If I, or anyone else, want(s) to buy the $20 aesthetics pack, I can.

FyreWulff

The item description on PSN says "Play on 09-15-2015, Midnight Eastern Time". That is definitely when TTK content will be made available?

I just wanted to make sure that is the intent, and not some boilerplate text that Sony adds to all their product descriptions. The description on XBL makes no such promise so I wasn't exactly sure.

yep

The only catch is some 'events' may not start until 10am (like how Iron Banner works), but the game content should go live right then.

If there are any world events like the Blades of Crota or the Wolf Packs, we'll probably see those in the world leading up to release as well.

oh my god i hope that's effing true

i'm gonna be a damned zombie though, probably up all night playing the xbox version then waiting for my ttk ps4 to arrive on tuesday my gawd

border

Oh wow. I did not know. So basically (correct my if I'm wrong), digital owners of destiny+season get the O'Long Johnson.

Year One players get roughly the same deal as new players -- pay $20 for extra stuff, or skip it and save the money.

Added a bit in the OP about Nolan North's ghost sounding like Elijah Wood and the scannable objects that prompt ghost to talk about whatever you just scanned. Think like an Audio version of Metroid Prime.

border

yep

The only catch is some 'events' may not start until 10am (like how Iron Banner works), but the game content should go live right then..

Well, I guess the ball is in Gamestop's court now. I would be happy to buy the physical version of Taken King, but I'm not going to bother if it means I have to pick it up at 10AM in the morning and miss out on the first night of play. Midnight launch or bust!

Top Bottom